Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WA Barbagello Raceway - noise issues

Hi,
I live 4 km from Barbagello Raceway in Perth, and this weekend the noise from the ongoing 'Powercruise Promotions' event has really been disturbing.

Fast cars does not have to be noisy! And if it continues like this without the WASCC trying to do something with the noise, then the racetrack will probably soon be 'politically incorrect' in Wanneroo.

I'm not sure how the WASCC is policing their noise regulations? Probably just some random measurements, and some 'buddy' favours to let someone start even if their car is above the allowed motorsports noise limit.

This weekend has been worse than when the V8 supercup visited Barbagello, this indicates to me that the private cars participating in 'Powercruise' are trying to be as noisy as possible.. not trying to install a few mufflers on their cars.

I'm also interested in motorsports, and not trying to make trouble for WASCC, however when the number of houses even closer to the track than my house is increasing rapidly, then the racetrack management should really try to do something about it, as it will clearly turn in to a more serious problem very soon.

I am proposing a racetrack starting fee based on noise measurement. The more quiet a car is, the less starting fee they should pay. The noisy ones should pay for example $50 'noise tax' per day, (even if they are within the motorsports maximum noise limit) This would soon be an incentive to install a few mufflers on their cars, which in the long run would help WASCC to be able to keep the track open into the future.

I haven't looked at how many decibel would be a sensible level, however today's noise level is clearly unacceptable, and I believe it will soon lead to political problems and an uncertain future for the racetrack.

There are probably somewhere above 500 houses that have the same or more noise as I have, and probably another 1000 houses outside this 4km circle that can hear the noise pollution in the background when they are outdoors at their houses.

Interesting to hear others thoughts on this
Cheers

Last edited by happy1; 15-04-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: WA Barbagello Raceway - noise issues

Don't buy a house next to a race track. Its going to be noisy, no sympathy just like the people who moved next to Sandown Raceway or Calder Park then complain about noise. Those two raceways where there before the houses. Much like people complaining about Essendon Airport.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You move near a racetrack and start complaining.. much like idiots that move near airports and cry about planes... a little bit of noise one weekend a year.. how about you get a life.......
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the current CAMS regulations that maximum noise shall not exceed 95 decibel?
Don't tell me that a car can't be competitive with a few more mufflers on it.

Pottery, its not only once a year. There seems to be some track events pretty much every saturday and sunday, from about 8am to 4pm..

And it seems like Wanneroo council has now allowed new development of housing much closer to the racetrack, (the new large sandy square approx 2.5 km from the racetrack) In a year or two there will probably be 1000 houses within 4 km of the racetrack, not only 500 houses as it is today.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IM with everyone else..if people stopped to think hey maybe it's a bad idea to move next to a race track/airport then there wouldnt be any problems. Sick of people complaining about something that has been there a long time before them, sure if it was built after you moved in then complain all you like. Don't like the noise then move.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
tewesy

Didnt you know Barbagellow was near by when you bought the house...........I would get a refund, next thing you know the "Vocal minority" groups like you have events shut down and racetracks moved, I cant hear it from Kalamunda, sorry, no sympathy.
I THINK THEYVE SAID IT ALL!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I think you have come to the wrong forum if you are wanting to complain.....
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
zc347

Sorry mate, but why should racers pay more to race because you bought a cheap house close to a race track? I'm sure if you bought a similar place close to the airport you wouldn't be complaining, and if you did it wouldn't get you very far. It's hard enough to have fun in a car in Perth as it is, don't make it worse for the rest of us.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

What are you doing 4km from Barbagallo's when Powercruise is on? Get down there- hear it, smell it, FEEL IT!

Dude, I live in Redcliffe and you can't get much closer to the airport. I got used to it and it doesn't bother me. I can't say I've ever heard anyone complain about the noise from the planes in my area. same would go for the racetrack, although if I were to hear something, I'd go down to check it out.

The idea of charging people because they don't have mufflers is rediculous. I'm pretty sure they have a noise curfew.

People are doing the right thing and enjoying their pride and joy out on a racetrack instead of the street, yet other people are still unhappy. Unreal. www.reiwa.com.au
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noise tax? Whingeing because you live near a race track and can hear it?

Go away!

Move next to a piggery and complain about the smell. Or move into a housing commision area and complain about the bogans. I just don't get people who do this. Wear ear muffs. Make yourself deaf listening to an ipod too loud. Just don't whinge because you made a decision to move close to a race track
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Urban sprawl encroaching on stuff which then causes complaints has been going on for decades.
In Bundaberg, there used to be a big meatworks outside town...it was well away from everything, and none of the houses at the time were within kilometers of the place, so the smell didn't bother anyone.
Then the local drive-in closed, and they turned the area into a housing estate...and the complaints began. It was closed down eventually, probably due to economic reasons, but the constant nose twitching of people who moved near the place didn't help.

In my little town of 400, the town is one side of the Capricorn Highway, and the railway yards are on the other side of the highway. There are five roads through the yards, stretching for a bit over 2km end to end. We work 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so trains come and go all hours of the day and night, sometimes up to five sitting in the yard at once. Diesels give a nice rumble from the four locos, each with thier 140 liter V12 two-stroke turbo diesel engines, but the electrics can get a bit noisy, especially on cooler nights, with thier traction engine blowers blasting away.
The point is that some people...admittedly a very small number...have chosen this depot and moved here and thier family has then said "Ooo it's a bit noisy sometimes...why don't they do something about it or run the trains only during daylight hours?".
It's a railway town...nearly everyone in town works for the railways...they've been here for many decades, and are the whole reason our town exists at all. What did you think you were going to hear when you moved here?
Here's the Google Earth coordinates for our town...the main yards run on the southern side of the highway, and the angle runs across the highway and right down the guts of town, dividing it east and west. The picture looks to be about five years old, but you get the drift...why would you move here and then complain about trains?
23°34'55.67"S and 149° 4'12.59"E

There's been plenty of dragstrips closed down over the years because of encroaching housing areas, and they aren't replaced...it's just too hard to build a new dragstrip now with any ease, where as before you just picked a vacant lump of ex-farm land outside town and brought in the bulldozers.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the OP would be happier with cars racing in his street. Atleast they would be quieter.

Its people such as the OP who are systematically ruining this country. If you dont like it, move.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noise levels are usually restricted to 95db at 30 metres in CAMS meeting supplementary regulations.
A powercruise is most likely NOT a CAMS event.

As mentioned, the track was there first and in a car forum you are not going to get a huge amount of support. That said, the best thing is to work WITH the Venue to work out some compromise: Noise levels, number of days, curfews etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

What a load of crap, when bargs was built you needed a cut lunch and water bag to get there. Everybody else moved in around it,you can't change the goal posts now.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
GTP 290

Noise issues? the only noise issue is the occasional whining noise coming from local residents that have moved to close to the track. People like you **** me to tears. This is the exact reason why lakeside got shut down for so many years. Now after years of lobbyng to the local council and government they have finally allowed it to be re-opened but IMO it is to late because they have lost the V8's to QR these days. It may have better facilities but the track is about as stimulating as salmon pudding.

Go ahead and put in your little complaint to the raceway and to the local council, I can guarantee if the track shuts down you will then be making complaints about the increased level of illegal street racing and hoon behaviour in your neighbourhood. Not to mention the ammount of other shops in the area and the running down of the town due to the lost revenue from the racetrack.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

No worries, close the track and let all the powercruise attendees do power skids past your house instead.
You move near a race track and complain, NO SYMPATHY.
Noise Tax eh? Maybe you should have that applied to you aswell. Wrong place to sook about a racetrack being too noisy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i live in the flight path of a RAAF base.. i moved there knowing that.. when the planes are out i crack a beer and go ******* cool plane ey.....
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sorry mate, people should understand what they are in for. I live 20kms from calder park and could hear the gunners concert one time. Not so bad really.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1
Pottery, its not only once a year. There seems to be some track events pretty much every saturday and sunday, from about 8am to 4pm..
8am to 4pm isn't that bad. When would you like it 5pm till 1am Friday and Saturday nights?

There are so few events that come all the way to the wild west. Lets not be hard on the ones that are still going.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crazy that cars make noise on a race track. What is the world coming to.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #21
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a saying: When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade.
Try to get some positives out of it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
There is a saying: When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade.
Try to get some positives out of it.
go and visit the outlaws.....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trouble is the poster has said that housing development is getting closer to the track?

This is the fault of councils and developers who have no care in the world for exsisting facilities and the impact of allowing housing near noisy areas.

Classic example here in Townsville where the council has rezoned an industrial estate to allow housing developments.
This industrial estate has a drag strip and a gokart track across the road.
Now council has allowed the land to be sub-divided right next door to both facilities!

And do you honestly believe that the drag stip will be allowed to remain open? and the gokart track?
In a recent article in the paper a pub which has been there for 110years!!! has recently gotten several noise complaints.
Why? Because COUNCIL allowed a new set of units to be built 1.5m from the pubs fenceline (the block used to be an old house).

Its all very well and good to say... "suck it up", but at the end of the day, COUNCILS and DEVELOPERS will do what they want to make money and push out the people who were there for decades.
Remember now if they force the pub to close... or the drag strip to close... its another VACANT block of land ready to be bought up and turned into a money spinner.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by Jim Goose; 02-10-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
rubber fire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guy's i am building in Bertram which is near the motorplex an in the my paper work given to me before i bought it it said that it is possible that i may hear the noise from there now if that was going to be an issue for me i would not have bought there now my only problem is i have not heard a thing from there and i hope they fix this problem soon as
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber fire
guy's i am building in Bertram which is near the motorplex an in the my paper work given to me before i bought it it said that it is possible that i may hear the noise from there now if that was going to be an issue for me i would not have bought there now my only problem is i have not heard a thing from there and i hope they fix this problem soon as
not understand.........
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
not understand.........
Rubber Fire means that his lemons don't have any juice...he wants the noise.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #27
05_ENFORCER

I think that was a bit of sarcasm there Pottery

Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Just get some roller shutters.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
Rubber Fire means that his lemons don't have any juice...he wants the noise.
hahaha all cool.. written word thingy..... he should have left one of these..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #30
rubber fire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the sound but don't get any
Closed Thread