Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Default I hate renting, grr...

Like the title says, I hate renting...

The landlord has decided he wants to sell this house, so he can "invest" in a subway franchise.

So we've gotta move :(

Not cool when you have to move 2 unregistered cars.

Seeing as neither Nikki or myself are currently employed, buying a house is simply not an option, and it's difficult to find somewhere to rent if not at least one of us has a permanent job...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hate renting!

:
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

yeah renting sucks ballz!!!!

good luck with ya house hunting bro

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

technically isn't now about the best time for renting? especially after the house market boom etc... hopefully you find a new place soon.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Like the title says, I hate renting...

The landlord has decided he wants to sell this house, so he can "invest" in a subway franchise.

So we've gotta move :(

Not cool when you have to move 2 unregistered cars.

Seeing as neither Nikki or myself are currently employed, buying a house is simply not an option, and it's difficult to find somewhere to rent if not at least one of us has a permanent job...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hate renting!

:
Hi Troy

Yes, I totally agree with you. Renting is crap. Ive been renting since I was booted out of home when I was 17 or so. And Im 33 now. I have worked out I have paid over $90K in rent in my life, to various landlords. I have rented around 9 different houses I think. Ive been a single parent with two kids for most of it, studying and working full time for a lot of it, and now just working full time. And it was impossible to buy my own place of course - banks dont like single parents....

I could have bought a unit in the last year or so but with two kids, boy 7 and girl 10, its not gonna cut it. So I have continued to rent. I got booted out of my last house in March because the owner just decided to move back into it. I got two weeks notice to move out, and yes, it is legal, if they choose not to renew the lease (its only if they want to break it halfway through that they have to give 60+ days notice).... so I had to frantically find a new place....

That landlord took me to the tribunal for ALL of my bond ($900) and another $500 on top of that for stupid shit she made up. She lost and I got it all back, but it was a lot of work involved in defending that, and I really CBF with it at the time to be honest....

Current landlords are great though, so no complaints yet, but the rent is waayyyy too high as well.

Anyways, with the way work has been going, Ive managed to apply to build a house in Mt Barker (small town not far out of Adelaide) and Ive been approved. I bought the block for a good price in a new estate 6 months ago, and they should be starting to build it in late Feb/early March... Its a normal average little house, but at least it will be mine and I wont have to rent anymore... it will be like a dream and I should be in it by September Im hoping...

Never give up on owning your own place, if thats what you want... its so worth it, whether you buy a place or build one... (its cheaper to build). Just paying off your own house instead of someone elses is great.... but its taken me a LONG time to get here...

Good luck guys! With the move and all of it!!!!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

jac your moving further away from adelaide????

NOOOOOOOO :P

yeah bro, dont fret it aye, be paitent and youll end up with what you want eventually

Member of the MTAS

Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Unhappy

Arghhhhhhh! I'm so freaking stressed, my lease isn't supposed to be up until May. I still have things that aren't unpacked, I'm just going to start packing again and get the hell out of here.

What a great time of year he chose, son is starting High School, I've got his books and uniform to pay for, braces, get his back looked at.

Seriously I am sick of lining other peoples pockets, as soon as school starts, I'm going back to work. I should have taken that damn loan I got a while back instead of worrying if I could meet the repayments. I would have had the damn thing paid off by now.

Hopefully the market will keep dropping and in a couple of years we'll have a decent deposit saved between the both of us.

Oh well Monday I start looking for another house, hopefully one that doesn't have a friggen ants nest under it. :
Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Yeah, renting sux.

Mrs xdc351 and myself have it pretty good as we're renting off her parents but i'd still rather be paying off my own house.

The only reason I don't is because I don't want a 'first home byers special' with no land and a house the size of a shoebox. One day maybe.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 03:52 AM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Arghhhhhhh! I'm so freaking stressed, my lease isn't supposed to be up until May. I still have things that aren't unpacked, I'm just going to start packing again and get the hell out of here.

What a great time of year he chose, son is starting High School, I've got his books and uniform to pay for, braces, get his back looked at.

Seriously I am sick of lining other peoples pockets, as soon as school starts, I'm going back to work. I should have taken that damn loan I got a while back instead of worrying if I could meet the repayments. I would have had the damn thing paid off by now.

Hopefully the market will keep dropping and in a couple of years we'll have a decent deposit saved between the both of us.

Oh well Monday I start looking for another house, hopefully one that doesn't have a friggen ants nest under it. :
Hi. You are saying that they broke the lease? So the landlord is kicking you out before the lease is up??? As opposed to just not renewing a new lease? If thats the case, I know here in SA, that landlords are supposed to give you at least 60 days notice, by LAW, if breaking a lease.... I am not sure how much time you have been given though, but it has to be at least 60 days in writing... Check the Residential Tenancies Act for Vic... it should be fairly clear in there... and its quite simple, you dont have to move until then.... he cant make you...

Yes it is hard with the kids, I know, Ive moved a lot. However, I have always tried to stay reasonably close to their school, so they havent had to move schools yet.... and ironically, the house Im building is further from their school than any of the rental properties have been!!! Maybe your son can stay in the same school???

Anyways, good luck... if you have trouble finding the Act, PM me and I can look into it for you....

Jac

Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I've had similar dramas with having to move out of home since 17/18 years of age when parents moved from the suburbs out to the country. Paying rent just sucks up so much valuable money.

I'd love to get my own joint but with one mortgage already (investment) , getting another is such a stretch of funds. I find that at the moment that I prob could manage the mortgage on a unit but then with the cost of strata fees - some places want $550 a quarter : - it just becomes impossible and I'm not prepared to live like a pauper just for that. A house loan ? Forget it. Sydney property prices are just crazy.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

are yes renting. try having a landlord who would not give approval for a disability dog. yes they denied and yes we still got it. they did not know and stuff them. screw with disable children and you will get burned. by the way i think jac is right. i dont think that they can legally undo a lease like that. ring the tenancy mob and ask them. they are very helpful.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
....... i dont think that they can legally undo a lease like that. .......
They can't!!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

oh and by the way the place we are renting at present : dayton has broken two windows. one was just touching it with his bum and the other he lost his balance and put his head through it. The glass man who i am on a first name bases with, said that the glass in every window is only 3mm think instead of 5mm. he also said that they should replace it as its dangerous. well when ringing the realestate they literally said because no police report was filed that it was the tenants responsibility. so me being me said to them so when i get charged with child neglact and my son is in a serious condition in hospital then they will pay for it. well i hope they have good libility insurance because its only going to happen again, i dont think he will be lucky a third time.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #13
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Yip agreed renting sucks, my latest move has been at the expense of the seperation of myself and my wife. We decided to split about 4 months ago but because accomodation is so hard to find here I wasn't able to find anything until 3 weeks ago. Before then we had problems trying to find a house as well, our landlord of just over 12 months passed away, awesome bloke too, and his kids wanted the money for their house and put it on the market, everyone kept telling us it wouldn't sell then 2 weeks later...they put a sold sign on the house and we had 42 days to move.
We found a place on day 37 and moved on day 41.
Renting sucks alright especially when the landlords an ***!!!
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
oh and by the way the place we are renting at present : dayton has broken two windows. one was just touching it with his bum and the other he lost his balance and put his head through it. The glass man who i am on a first name bases with, said that the glass in every window is only 3mm think instead of 5mm. he also said that they should replace it as its dangerous. well when ringing the realestate they literally said because no police report was filed that it was the tenants responsibility. so me being me said to them so when i get charged with child neglact and my son is in a serious condition in hospital then they will pay for it. well i hope they have good libility insurance because its only going to happen again, i dont think he will be lucky a third time.
Mrs Casper, I am fairly sure that if it is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for safety reasons to have glass in a house that is at least 5mm thick, then the landlords are legally obliged to replace it.... Part of the tenancy contract that the landlord signs is for the house to be properly maintained and also for it to be safe and for certain things to be within legal requirements... And I am also very sure that the tenancies act there would also contain a provision requiring the property to be safe and within legal requirements for any particular aspect...

In which case, you should be able to MAKE the landlord replace ALL the suspect glass in the house. What you probably need to do is to find out whether 5mm is a requirement in houses these days and get some evidence of that (the glass company could write a letter stating that, or perhaps the council might know, or the builders association) and then present the landlord with that.... if he wont change it after that, then you have cause to go to the tribunal with it.... with kids safety at issue, the tribunal would very much frown upon the landlord not fixing it, especially given previous incidents!

If 5mm is NOT a legal requirement, I would still think you would have argument to make him change it anyway.... get a letter from your glass guy saying what he said, and demonstrate how unsafe it has been PROVEN to be with the incident with Dayton and then ring the Tribunal to see what they say... if it unsafe (but nevertheless legal) they are still very likely to make him change it given the safety issues with children...

So many landlords stuff tenants around because they think they have so much power over tenants and that the tenants have none. This is is usually not the case and the Tribunal is usually quite tenant-friendly as many landlords try to abuse their power and the Tribunal people know it....

Landlords are a VERY good reason not to rent....

Old 08-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

3mm glass is illegal to install in houses now, it wasnt at the time it was built.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #16
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im rather lucky where I am here ...... But I have had my nightmare stories of renting ......

I had one landlord, who, like you guys decided to sell ..... they couldnt remove us untill the lease was up. If your landlord wants you to get out he has to pay you guys ........

This new place is rent free (yes I know, unheard of these days) all I have to do is maintain the beautiful garden & small lawn & the eldest has to mow his lawns at his house......... He supplies the ride on mower & a fully maintained mower for the boy to do this ................
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #17
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep they cant just kick you out, i think it is 60 days notice they have to give you. My last rental place sold and i was given 90 days notice, and the real estate agent even offered to find me another house

as with the glass thing mr & mrs casper, i would be looking into that with the residential tennants authority (or whatever its called) ASAP...that would be terrible if dayton was to do it again

i believe the landlord should have to replace it because its downright dangerous - that 3mm glass breaks so easily
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #18
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Thanks for all your help guys!!

I've looked up everything I can on the net and just downloaded all the necessary forms for VCAT. I'll have them all filled out and ready to fax off on Monday morning.

He can't give me 90 days to move because he's selling up unless there is a verbal or written agreement, of which he has neither.

I'm going to apply to VCAT on the grounds of hardship and if he wants me to move he has to pay the expenses. :hihi:

I've also got a list of non urgent repairs that need doing and few other things that could get him a few fines such as:

Not giving me a tenants rights book at the start of lease = $500-
Not lodging bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority = $1,000
Not providing an after hours emergency phone number. = $500-
No condition report done = $500-
Incorrect rent receipts (no name or address of premises).$500-
Landlord walking into house without knocking. $500-
Demanding that I let a real estate agent through without giving 7 days notice. $500-

Does anyone know what the fine is for no working smoke alarms, advertising a house with a security system, then being told to fix it myself because it didn't work?

Reading through the site I found made for some very interesting reading, my past landlords could have been in a bit of trouble for also.

I'm not going to sit back and be ordered around by a landlord any more, if he starts causing trouble then I'll just keep going back to the tribunal.

Oh and mrs casper, when my son smashed a window at a previous house by accident, I had to replace it with 5mm glass not the 3mm it previously had, the glazier said that it was the legal requirement.

Now if I get my landlord to replace all the windows in here, he'd be up for an absolute fortune.

I don't think I'll be moving again until May, I'd better start saving. ;)

Last edited by LuvinmyEB; 08-01-2005 at 02:54 PM.
LuvinmyEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #19
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you go girl!

all the best with it
Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #20
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I agree if house prices are reasonable then renting is bad thing. The only exception this rule is if one lives in Sydney. For a place say 30km from CBD you'll need a morgage of $600k minimum and thats not a flash looking place, it will probably need another $20k for refurbishment.

Only way to have remote chance of getting such a morgage is a couple earning $120k combined and even then i don't think there will be much change for enjoying life.

Just look at the divorce rates in Sydney, and i have no doubt a contributing factor is sky high morgages and ofcourse the extra costs to raise kids.

I've had to get land 100km out of Sydney CBD so i can tap into the real estate market and even then thats half my wages gone paying the damn thing off. So yeah in Sydney for a single person at least renting might not be a bad thing over the next few years. Especially if one a car enthusiast and wants to have a nice car.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #21
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

i shall look into i think i have had enough of watching the windows bow when anyone touches them. and yes thats what they do
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #22
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Renting and a dodgey land lord inspired me to buy our current home...
Driving that Datsun Sunny(saving as much $$ as possible) nearly killed me, but the sacrifice was worth it in the end.

It isn't exactly what I want(no 6 car garage!), but it is a lot better than putting up with the crap that the landlord thinks they can dish out.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even if they do replace the glass - then they will recoup the money when the next lease is due - surprise, surprise, the rent goes up. My former landlord upped the rent by $30/week or 12% after we'd been there a year and a bit. It coincidentally happened after the 25 year old ducted heating motor blew up and pumped smoke through the house.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #24
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

the quote on replacing the glass was for $985 dollars. i have a cheque for $300 sitting hear waiting for me to ring the glass man chris on monday. Westarc arranged that funding after the occupational therapist got involved and she also wrote a letter to the realestate explaining it. Now we have not heard from the realestate in regards to this letter but we pay $870 dollars a month have only had an electrician out once and a plumber out twice. We have been here since May last year. I think they can afford $685 to cover the rest of the windows. Oh and we will be staying here for while as the kids have friends in the court who they go to school and play with outside. So if they winge i think i might just tell them to stuff it and ask the rental authority to get involved.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #25
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

After reading all of these horror stories, I'm so glad I'm buying and not renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong

Last edited by smciner1; 09-01-2005 at 03:46 PM.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #26
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

yeah and im glad im still living at home with the folks lol

Member of the MTAS

Old 10-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #27
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

ok rang about the windows well what a joke that was. i have to do the runaround to find out about legislation. i was told that 3mm is unsafe and should be replaced and that there was legislation in saying that. well the realestate has been told something totally different. so whos telling the truth, damnd if i know. all i know is that it wont be much longer before dayton breaks another one and that could be the one that hurts... any way i hope that your stuff went ok luvinmyeb.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #28
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be giving the tennants authority or whatever its called a ring peta and just running it by them - would be interesting to see what they say.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #29
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Hi Troy

Yes, I totally agree with you. Renting is crap. Ive been renting since I was booted out of home when I was 17 or so. And Im 33 now. I have worked out I have paid over $90K in rent in my life, to various landlords. I have rented around 9 different houses I think. Ive been a single parent with two kids for most of it, studying and working full time for a lot of it, and now just working full time. And it was impossible to buy my own place of course - banks dont like single parents....

I could have bought a unit in the last year or so but with two kids, boy 7 and girl 10, its not gonna cut it. So I have continued to rent. I got booted out of my last house in March because the owner just decided to move back into it. I got two weeks notice to move out, and yes, it is legal, if they choose not to renew the lease (its only if they want to break it halfway through that they have to give 60+ days notice).... so I had to frantically find a new place....

That landlord took me to the tribunal for ALL of my bond ($900) and another $500 on top of that for stupid shit she made up. She lost and I got it all back, but it was a lot of work involved in defending that, and I really CBF with it at the time to be honest....

Current landlords are great though, so no complaints yet, but the rent is waayyyy too high as well.

Anyways, with the way work has been going, Ive managed to apply to build a house in Mt Barker (small town not far out of Adelaide) and Ive been approved. I bought the block for a good price in a new estate 6 months ago, and they should be starting to build it in late Feb/early March... Its a normal average little house, but at least it will be mine and I wont have to rent anymore... it will be like a dream and I should be in it by September Im hoping...

Never give up on owning your own place, if thats what you want... its so worth it, whether you buy a place or build one... (its cheaper to build). Just paying off your own house instead of someone elses is great.... but its taken me a LONG time to get here...

Good luck guys! With the move and all of it!!!!

Jac
Thats a good story there Jac and im glad that you are in the process of building your first home,as you say if you put your mind to it, dreams are posssible.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #30
xrgran

I honestly can't believe the horror stories here! I never realised how fortunate we are. We have rented throughout our marriage and still do. Gambit is looking at buying a home and so is my daughter in Hervey Bay, but it has never been high on my list of priorities.

We married in 1980, and had 26 moves in the first six years (as xr330 worked construction), from Victoria, thru NSW and up to the top end of QLD. As we had children, we continued on until a work offer in a coal mine put a stop to it. I missed the moving, and on a regular basis, moved ALL the furniture around to compensate.

Gambit started school not long after our arrival in the Hunter, and we have had three moves in this town due to the homes being sold. We have been in this house for the past 13 years, and the rent has stayed the same. I do most of the little things myself but the landlords are good to us and our rent has only gone up $30 per week since we first started renting in 1980.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post