Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Default Mamdouh Habib - Returning home

I was watching the news last night to discover that after 3.5 years, the American authorities have decided not to charge Mamdouh Habib with a crime but to return him home to Australia.

What the hell is wrong with all the media these days? It was all about attacking the Australian Government for not doing more, the sympathy case for the family, the lawyer who was planning to seek compensation etc.

HELLO!!!! Does anyone realise this man was associating himself with Terrorists? There's firm evidence, including pictures of him with the bomber who tried to destroy the WTC back in 1993.

Just because there isn't enough evidence to prosecute him, doesn't mean he's squeaky clean and deserves the red carpet treatment. He should count himself lucky he wasn't imprisoned for life or worse still, possibly executed.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a big fan of the "War on Terror" or a Stalinist Dictatorship, but sometimes I think the victims in these cases have a lot more to answer for.

I just wish the media would put a little balance back into their stories rather than going for one extreme angle or the other.

Last edited by GTPChris; 13-01-2005 at 04:04 PM.
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPChris
I was watching the news last night to discover that after 3.5 years, the American authorities have decided not to charge Mamdouh Habib with a crime but to return him home to Australia.

What the hell is wrong with all the media these days? It was all about attacking the Australian Government for not doing more, the sympathy case for the family, the lawyer who was planning to seek compensation etc.

HELLO!!!! Does anyone realise this man was associating himself with Terrorists? There's firm evidence, including pictures of him with the bomber who tried to destroy the WTC back in 1993.

Just because there isn't enough evidence to prosecute him, doesn't mean he's squeaky clean and deserves the red carpet treatment. He should count himself lucky he wasn't imprisoned for life or worse still, possibly executed.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a big fan of the "War on Terror" or a Stalinist Dictatorship, but sometimes I think the victims in these cases have a lot more to answer for.

I just wish the media would put a little balance back into their stories rather than going for one extreme angle or the other.
I fully agree with you,and now they are already talking about suing the Governments,He's got to be joking.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
I fully agree with you,and now they are already talking about suing the Governments,He's got to be joking.
Cheers John
Yeah i know!!! Thank the lord at least Johnny is on the ball. Mark Latham would be like bend over backwards and screw me.

I can just see it now, "Thanks Mark, I'll put this money to good use including more terrorist funding...blah, i mean my kids education on Australian values."

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html
Old 13-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:

I can have my photo taken with neil armstrong, doesnt make me an astronaut.

And Evidence of association is not evidence of illegal actions. Many of the "terrorists" in the middle east arent hidden in caves. They are among the people, who mostly agree with their politics and fundamentalist views and hence protect them, and treat them like rock stars. They are celebrities, make no mistake. And yes many get their photo's taken with the terrorists.

Many of these fundamentalist terrorists run schools, mosques and various businesses in the middle east. Yes they are used as recruiting grounds, but not everyone who attends becomes a terrorist, or even a fundamentalist, just as my father who went to a strict catholic school, is no more a catholic then I am.

The US say they have this and that evidence, and they say they have it to the media, who will either exagerate it, or understate it, depending on their own views of what the public want/politics/ratings/planetary alignment etc.

This is the same intelligence community that brought us the weapons of mass destruction saga. While their work in afghanistan was and is superb, their work in iraq is sadly lacking. This is due to a lack of humint and a gross reliance in sigint.

And this is the same Media who consistently screw up stories and trump up or down half baked leaks and memos from government "sources" which as often as not, is their own imagination.

So is he a terrorist? I dont know. I doubt anyone here can say for certain. I know for a fact I wouldnt trust the US with their evidence, and i wouldnt trust the media to report on a dog crossing the road.

Only people who really know for certain is habib, or his terrorist cell, if he belongs to one. If there was a shred of evidence, even a small amount(as thats all that would be required), he would be standing tall before the man with david hicks.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
JG3282
Awake after dark

well said sourbastard, you obviously think before you speak :-)
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

I see your point. I just think in situations like this, i'm not really interested in the media's point of view. The sympathic angle without the facts just doesnt do it for me.
Old 13-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I dont have enough knowledge on the subject to make any sort of comment on it.

I do have enough knowledge to say that if this turns into a political mud slinging match like so many others it will be CLOSED and the offenders PMed.

Kapisch?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I can have my photo taken with neil armstrong, doesnt make me an astronaut.
No it doesn't.... but you can't deny you wouldn't be interested in astronomy.
Old 13-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Touche!! :hihi:
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
I see your point. I just think in situations like this, i'm not really interested in the media's point of view. The sympathic angle without the facts just doesnt do it for me.
I dont trust the media either mate, even 60 minutes can insert their own context into stories. But our only sources of information are from the media on this subject, irregardless of spin, it is in turn "processed" information from the government(s), so add their spin, by the time we get the facts, what was fact, is now a fact like product(I cant believe its not factual!© lol sorry i couldnt resist).

This I do know though, they let him go, so their evidence must be practically see-through. They dont need a huge amount to keep him indefinately.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ah but he is a senator too, i might like his politics! I might just like old guys and find them sexy. We might share a special love of butterflys. I might be buying his car. I might just want my photo taken with a famous guy before he gets dead.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Yeah i know!!! Thank the lord at least Johnny is on the ball. Mark Latham would be like bend over backwards and screw me.

I can just see it now, "Thanks Mark, I'll put this money to good use including more terrorist funding...blah, i mean my kids education on Australian values."

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html
Chris, i agreed with you until you turned your thread into political bashing..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Touche!! :hihi:
Sometimes i think i should be a politician. Would you all vote for me?

I'd guarantee autobahns in every state.
Speed cameras only in "real" blackspots.
Compulsary driver training for all.
Fines for poor driver behaviour including - Not sticking to the left lane, poor round-a-bouting etc
Less money spent on Defence and other bullshit so there is money to fund Free medical / dental / education for all.
Compliance to the Kyoto Protocol.
Old 13-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Chris, i agreed with you until you turned your thread into political bashing..
Agree - My comment was in poor taste. Sorry if it offended anyone.
Old 13-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #15
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

our house hold aquired pay tv just before christmas, so that makes it about a month since i watched the news or any current affairs program. guess what? i'm still alive and enjoying watching docos based on fact rather than someones opinion of events.

my motto is if you associate yourself with $hit, you end up being just as smelly.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #16
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
I might just want my photo taken with a famous guy before he gets dead.
So if you had the opportunity to get your photo taken with Osama Bin Laden, would you take it?
Old 13-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
our house hold aquired pay tv just before christmas, so that makes it about a month since i watched the news or any current affairs program. guess what? i'm still alive and enjoying watching docos based on fact rather than someones opinion of events.

my motto is if you associate yourself with $hit, you end up being just as smelly.
I think i might have to Trade my GT-P in for an XB Falcon. I can barely afford to eat considering the loan repayments, much less afford pay tv!!!

In truth, I dont watch much television. Mainly because whenever I do, it somehow ****es me off.
Old 13-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #18
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think i might have to Trade my GT-P in for an XB Falcon. I can barely afford to eat considering the loan repayments, much less afford pay tv!!!

In truth, I dont watch much television. Mainly because whenever I do, it somehow ****es me off.

with depreciation you'd probably have to borrow over to get the xb GT :

yeah, commercial telly is pretty average nowadays. i reckon i could watch the news tonight and still see the same stories from a month ago.
Old 13-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
So if you had the opportunity to get your photo taken with Osama Bin Laden, would you take it?
hell yeah, and after he is captured or killed, I cash in, then buy a new GT-P.

OK so he is a bad man, well he could do some good finally, he can get me into leather seating.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
hell yeah, and after he is captured or killed, I cash in, then buy a new GT-P.

OK so he is a bad man, well he could do some good finally, he can get me into leather seating.
Nice to see we all have a sense of humour Are you coming to the Ford day in Feb?
Old 13-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #21
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

From Adelaide? um... probably not lol.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #22
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
with depreciation you'd probably have to borrow over to get the xb GT :

yeah, commercial telly is pretty average nowadays. i reckon i could watch the news tonight and still see the same stories from a month ago.
Well I dont think we've had as much coverage of a disaster since 9/11.

If there's one thing i'm thankful for of the media, it's the broadcast of the plight of those people who were affected by the Tsunami. Without the media, the world wouldn't have donated a cent to the aid effort.
Old 13-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #23
GTPChris
Sex on wheels

Quote:
From Adelaide? um... probably not lol.
I'm from Canberra!!!!!
Old 13-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well I dont think we've had as much coverage of a disaster since 9/11.

If there's one thing i'm thankful for of the media, it's the broadcast of the plight of those people who were affected by the Tsunami. Without the media, the world wouldn't have donated a cent to the aid effort.
I wonder if people will still feel warm and fuzzy when the hundreds of thousands of displaced people who are filling camps to the seams around the Indian Ocean, suddenly become illegal immigrants here.

Serious situation, and a very real possibility, it will take years to rebuild homes and infrastructure, many are not going to wait, and the majority of those who wont wait will come to the closest country that does have 1st world infrastructure. Thats us.

I know plenty of people who argue against immigration but also donated. What are your views?

Is it possible our foreign aid is so high because the government thinks this is a possibility? And is trying to forstall a rapid migration here that we cant possibly handle? They cant put everyone in the woomera detention center.

Do you think peoples good will, would extend as far as to allow them all to stay?

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some very interesting points. I think I will get sourbastard to write my letter of resignation from work. He seems to know bigger words than me. I'm still trying to work out how to spell my name and whether Caspers car really does put out the RWKW he claims it does. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #26
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wonder if people will still feel warm and fuzzy when the hundreds of thousands of displaced people who are filling camps to the seams around the Indian Ocean, suddenly become illegal immigrants here.

Serious situation, and a very real possibility, it will take years to rebuild homes and infrastructure, many are not going to wait, and the majority of those who wont wait will come to the closest country that does have 1st world infrastructure. Thats us.

I know plenty of people who argue against immigration but also donated. What are your views?

Is it possible our foreign aid is so high because the government thinks this is a possibility? And is trying to forstall a rapid migration here that we cant possibly handle? They cant put everyone in the woomera detention center.

Do you think peoples good will, would extend as far as to allow them all to stay?

i understand what you're saying.
this country, even though it is a large area geographically, cannot keep sustaining growth. that means we are unable to grow enough food, house everyone and provide all the first world things that we take for granted every day. we could possibly be over populated now, evidence may be in the trade defecit.
an example of population overload is happening here. water in our town is a major stumbling block for the local council. the company i work for wants to increase the workforce by 10% to meet projected production targets. this means an increase in our towns population by about 500 people. we have water restrictions now, what will it be like when 100 more families move here?
if we were to accept more people to our country where would they live? my guess is the cities, another major problem for this country. no one wants to live in the country anymore.
please note here that i'm generalising and i accept that not all immigrants would reside in cities but the majority will.
Old 13-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #27
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Some very interesting points. I think I will get sourbastard to write my letter of resignation from work. He seems to know bigger words than me. I'm still trying to work out how to spell my name and whether Caspers car really does put out the RWKW he claims it does. :
Dear bossman, me hate you, me leave, nothing you can do, so there. Can I get a reference?

Signed,
Bucknaked

Nak351: I have to admit I didnt consider water as possibly the limiting factor to australias growth, I had considered our GNP and things like our health and welfare capabilities to be our limiting factors, but I think I may be wrong. Short term yes health, welfare and income(Our countries potential to earn) are limiting factors, but longterm, its a resources issues as you suggest. Unless global warming is real and brings us some more moist weather patterns.

And while we have a very large geographical area, how much of it is easily habitable? Infrastructure in rural areas is antiquated and would never be capable of taking such a strain. Our suburban infrastructure is sound but has grown with our population, barely. Any large jump would knock it off the rails in many areas for some time.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I think it's stupid to be asking for compensation. He's been let go on lack of evidence, he hasn't been cleared. His family were talking on the news last night like he's been proven innocent.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
shane3
FPV GT 0915

If the yanks can’t even get the Intel on Weapons of mass destruction right what makes you think that they can get the Intel on Mamdouh Habib right?????????????

What makes it even funnier is the U.S have had to finally say that there Intel on Weapons of mass destruction was wrong from day one and that there where none to start with!
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #30
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I think it's stupid to be asking for compensation. He's been let go on lack of evidence, he hasn't been cleared. His family were talking on the news last night like he's been proven innocent.
Like the innocence of the sons impending rape charges no doubt. They forgot to mention that in the happy family shots, bloody media will do anything for a headline.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post