Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
fordinit
Banned

Default Anyone ever put a 351 in a Grandma's Merc???

Hi! Im wandering if anyone has ever put a 302 / 351 in a merc & if its legal in QLD? There is a Grandma car on ebay that would be supr kewl with a v8.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....1267&rd=1&rd=1

fordinit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Ridin-High

Their is a pic in the street machine magazine of a merc with a massive blown motor in it ill dig it up

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Jesk
certified nutter

I've seen a rolls royce limo with a mild GEN III under the bonnet and a mean exhaust note, it made me do a double take as it pulled up
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

There is a company in America called “Jags That Run” or JTR for short. They started off doing Jaguar XJ6/Chev V8 conversions and have since done Datsun Z/Chev, Volvo 2 series/Chev and Mercedes/Chev conversions (all available as books and kits).

The idea with the Mercedes was to grab an old W123 300D/230(?)D model and swap in a cheaper Chev 250 V8 to make it run quicker.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not just buy an old 6.3L Merc, they are dirt cheap
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
I've seen a rolls royce limo with a mild GEN III under the bonnet and a mean exhaust note, it made me do a double take as it pulled up

Seems a bit of a down grade- 5.7l from 6.75l.....i would have thought that a little tweaking would see the original donk turned into a pretty good weapon, especially when you take the cars weight into consideration??

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

anything is possible, a guy i used to go to school with has a WORKED GenIII in a bloody 80's model 318i sedan... chassis is stuffed though, when you floor it the interior lights come on (as well as the tail snaking for 100+m)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Looks like a very clean car. I would think a Cleveland may be a little heavy for the front end design, merc used a lot of alloy in their engines even back than so dumping a great wad of Detroit wonder metal in there could do all sorts of nasty things to the handling. If it were me, I’d use the engine & trans out of the Lexus LS400 in there, they are compact, cheap, quite and silky smooth and it will last for ever and make reasonable power. The trans is very good also. There are ECU’s available now to extract better power or the original is still good for around 200kw when you fit a decent exhaust system. It’ll run on standard unleaded and will pick that compact merc up and get it going very nicely without having to worry about all that extra weight hanging over the front wheels.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear that when you put a Chev V8 in a 6cyl Jag the front end needs to be LOWERED afterwards.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Make that a Chev in to a 70/80's Jag V12 and you'd be right.

Lighter weight, better balance, cheaper servicing, same transmission, etc
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've also heard of Chev into (older boxy type) Volvos and Chev V8s into Porsches as it's cheaper than rebuilding the Porsche motor.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yep, a bloke did just that at about the same time I'd done the 250 to 351 swap in my old wagon. I'm unsure of exact details, but he apparently sailed through rego with no worries.
This was back in 1992-ish though.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

I hate Merc drivers they are among the most oblivious and arrogant drivers out there. They think hey I'm a Merc driver stuff even looking when I change lanes and bugger driving anywhere near the speed of the rest of the traffic. Very selfish drivers. As a motorbike rider (and Ford owner) - i give them very wide berth.
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

Apologies if the last post from me was a bit off topic - i guess we are all passionate about something :-)
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
The much vaunted Rolls V8 was just a Packhard V8 with finer tolerances anyway. It was part of the deal that allowed Allison to make the Rolls V12 Merlin under license during WWII for the P-51 Mustangs.

It turned out that even though they were direct copies, the Mustangs that flew a Rolls Merlin were much better than those that flew the Allison copy.

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
Aulpgute

Ahhh, memories of the 80's and 90's when all these swaps were the rage. I did a 6cyl Jag to Cev 350 swap and yes, the Chev was lighter than the 6 as well and did need lowering. Was a great car to drive but still a headache to live with as all the electrics and gadgets were still a nightmare!
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #17
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Blown 350 Chev in a benz...

LE BENZ comes to mind... I have a poster of the car up on my wall.... Awesome car that is!
IIRC a red convertible.!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
66 coupe
around the place

Funny you mention this, I was originally going to put a 351 in an old 200 or 230 merc, but couldnt find a decent one for the right price, so shoved it in the ea wagon instead.
It would have been something different thats for sure.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

i seen a merc like the one on ebay at the kandos street machine with a nice sounding v8 in it..was red with chrome mags
tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post