Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Your thoughts on FG's design, 20 months on.

A few questions on FG's exterior design.

How do we all feel about it that we're now accustomed to it's looks, especially that it has become common on our roads we're able to judge it next to many other new designs?

In your opinions,

How well has it aged?

Do you feel it's generic, assuming a conservative approach, or does it have it's own character?

In your eyes, is it starting to look (even) better, 20 months on?

Old 20-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
BOSHOG
avenge me

absolutely love the sedan external styling, and despise the utes external "styling". the tub just doesnt fit the cabin, it looks like an after thought

interior still doesnt do it for me, even though it is a step up from the b series
Old 20-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
GT-E

I think it has aged very well and will still look modern in 5 years time when it will be replaced. Ford did the right thing by not being to out there with their changes unlike Holden with the VE.
I still lover my FG after 9 months of ownership and cannot wait until Ford bring out the Turbo Terri Ghia with all the FG goodies, I will then upgrade the wifes car.
Old 20-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't often get a chance to look at our G6ET from afar, however last week my wife and I arrived home at the same time from opposing sides, and while we waited for the gate to open I actually said out loud, damn that's a great looking car, the front bling of the G6E/T gives it an Aston Martin look that does make the car look far more upmarket then any top end Falcon before it. And the wide, low stance suites perfectly. On a freeway I was following a G6 with an AU beside it and it's quite unbelievable how much bigger and wider the FG looks. The more squared off rear glass, flatter boot & roof line and far greater visual look of width, it's got a great road presence...and I'm definitely biased.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The FG is a typical Ford australia design, mixing both Euro and American points into a conservative design, with a familier feel. It is fresh with some agressive lines, refinment is way above previous falcons.

Key points are:

-Its very in tune to todays trends in design in some aspects.
-It hasn't aged any amount
-It porpoetions are held back by a short wheelbase, one of the letdowns of the model.
-The shape hides the mass of the car itself.
-The interior is still outstanding for an aussie car

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
absolutely love the sedan external styling, and despise the utes external "styling". the tub just doesnt fit the cabin, it looks like an after thought

interior still doesnt do it for me, even though it is a step up from the b series
So right about the ute, it's like a 7 yo girl wearing her mothers skirt, the AU/BA rear body was much tighter and the FG rear track needs to be 15 cm wider, at least, to even look like it belongs.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Gaz
Got Ghia?

The only thing that still hasn't sold me is the tail lights and the very short boot.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with boshog . I dont mind the sedan allthough in stock form i think it lacks character sort of grandpa ish . But i have seen some nice examples of g6's when modified .
I very much dislike the utes allthough they look much better when a steel/alloy tray is fitted .
But all in all none of the car designs appeal to me enough to purchase one
Maybe a g6et for its overall package but i have no need for a vechicle like that .

As for how have aged well they obviously look like a new car , but just the general shape of the car they have allways reminded me of the vt . sloping front fat bum . Well my 2c any
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Seeing heaps and heaps ( I mean heaps ) of XR6's around now. Love the look of the car................
Old 20-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
damn that's a great looking car, the front bling of the G6E/T gives it an Aston Martin look that does make the car look far more upmarket then any top end Falcon before it.
Funny you should say that, as my brother who lives in the USA was over here last week and saw my G6ET for the first time.
He said exactly the same thing that it looked a bit like an Aston Martin. He thought it was a great looking car ( something coming from a Holden man when he left here 25 years ago)

I then threw him the keys to take it for a run. He came back and couldn't get over the fact that I could get a car as good as it for the price I paid. The following day I took him to a Ford Dealer for a test drive of an F6. He fell in love with the look of it and thinks they are the horniest cars on the road here at the moment. He couldn't stop carrying on how quick the F6 was and in a straight line he put it on par with his 512T Ferrari albeit it being 17 years older. I thought it was a big call, but he is the one that has driven both.

He is in the process of organising to move back here and says he will be ordering a F6 when he does.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steering wheel still looks like my five year old designed it, everything else marginally improved with age.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im still loving its design, not as "fleety" as the b-series.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will give it this, the FG is the first falcon where the base model doesn't look like a base model.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars are better equipped and interior is nicer, but at the same time not as good as it could be. Not a big fan of the steering wheel design or center stack. Externally it's an attractive car which looks good in light colours, but the door handles don't look as good as the BA's and the tail lights are underdone and should be LED.

Top range FG are a classy looking car and the XR's are plain but nicely done just the same. Base model is most improved and really looks like a Fairmont from not many years ago.

Overall not a bad design, not offensive to anyone, but not outstanding and will age fairly quickly, if/when Ford release a new model.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
A few questions on FG's exterior design.

How do we all feel about it that we're now accustomed to it's looks, especially that it has become common on our roads we're able to judge it next to many other new designs?

In your opinions,

How well has it aged?

Do you feel it's generic, assuming a conservative approach, or does it have it's own character?

In your eyes, is it starting to look (even) better, 20 months on?
Still doesn't grab me Youssef and I know for a fact I'm gonna be itchy to get something different next year sometime. I guess I'm mindful that my GT is now a 5 year old car and, despite only having traveled 25k kms, the fact remains it's getting on in age.

Yes I've heard all the comments about how well the FG runs compared to its Bseries equivalent model and how nice and more refined the interior is..I hear all that and have no reason to doubt all those assertions. However if a car doesn't have the look I'm after I won't buy it, just like I never bought an AU , going straight from an E series to a BA.

I bought a B series GT because I just fell in love with them when my mid life crisis started.....every time I saw one on the street (before I bought mine) my heart skipped a beat...just an awesome car....I don't get that feeling with the FG at all. No disrespect to FG owners

Pete
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 20-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im the opposite to most i actually prefer the ute, with a wider set of rear wheels to fill the void they look sensational, i just cant come at the tail lights on sedans
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Not a fan, to me the styling isnt aggressive enough but that is only my opinion, still would probably get an FG F6 if mine went walk about or was written off.
Old 20-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
LukeyST
ST fan

Love the interior, big step-up from BA, and from what i have seen the quality is a lot better.

The front end has grown on me, the XR's look tough.

The side profile is still a bit strange, but has grown on me a lot.

The rear end, still cant bring myself to like it. The corners of the rear end are too rounded, and i dont like the tail-lights. Oh and the bare plastic fake diffuser is 'cheap' looking. The only rear end to appear on a (modern era) falcon that i genuinely love the look of is the EF/EL rear end.
Old 20-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the styling of the G6E/T, but not really sold on the rest to be honest.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Love the exterior styling, I think it's aging quite well. The XR front looks great and the GE6T front is growing on me.

Dislike the dash cluster, looks like they rehashed an EF/EL XR dash. But the rest of the interior I like. Seats feel nice, love the driving position, plenty of space in the cabin.

Was seriously considering the F6 as a next car but the insurance is absolutely ridiculous. ~4 times more than a G6ET and 5 times more than my current R32.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #21
dannyxm
was danny888

G Series looks great and a very classy feel to it. There was one parked next to my brother in laws new Audi A4 the other day and even the mrs said that those new Fords look on par with the Audi, if not better.

My only real gripe (if any) is that it feels a bit like Ford spent a lot of money styling the front of the car then ran out before the end. Meaning that its all show up front, but the end is a bit bland.

I know its a stupid way to say it, but that how it looks.
Old 21-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #22
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I overall love the look of the car except for a few things.
  • The steering wheel - what the hell were they thinking. The buttons are a massive let down.
  • The center console. While it is nice the buttons are too small and it doesnt look intergrated enough.
  • The way that the C pillar and boot merge together. It looks like half-hatchback.

Other than that... Its drool-worthy.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #23
HSE2

The XT for me is disappointing. There is nothing interesting about it in a time where base designs can and do grab attention. It wouldn’t take much to make it a huge visual hit with consumers given the excellence of the other models in the range.

At launch I thought the XRs were a weak effort. I was wrong. In time they have really grown on me and they stand out in public far better than I thought they would. Let down only by a lame rear diffuser.

The G6ET just proves how much of a winner the FG shape is. A stunning car and the best of any generation IMO.

FPV, let down by hand me down elements. The light treatment is too controversial and has too many colour restrictions to make it a winner across the pallet choice. The GT doesn't make as strong a statement as the BF in terms of front and rear aggression symmetry.

The F6 by contrast has probably the second best FG face but suffers the same rear end deficiency as XR range. Just doesn't finish off the front styling statement.

I like the Ute but they need the offset at the rear to fill the guards out.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

front is nice, the rest is rubbish in my opinion.. don't like the interior, or the tacky XR blue dials, don't like the lack of side skirting on xr's, with the XR side badge stuck in no mans land on the back door, hate the tail lights, though they're nicer on the XT.

repeater shape is horrible

lack of big grip fpv wheel is another negative

g6et in ego would sell me, begrudgingly, but nothing else would.

The xr8 used to look tough, now it looks like an accord euro with a v8 and a bulge.

and the ute? don't even go there, the tub is horrible.

Would i still prefer an FG to a VE? yes, for the motor alone

flame away, don't care.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 21-11-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #25
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This needs a poll
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #26
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG is 20months old!! ALREADY!! WOW. I honestly didnt think it was that old, shows how well it has aged, unlike the VE which looks almost 7yrs old
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #27
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. Ford could have released the FG today and it would still look good and modern.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #28
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still believe the FG is one of the best cars out there for its price.
It looks presentable in all models (including the base XT), its luxury model(s) look classy, and the interior is absolutely brilliant.

With defence to the VE, the Calais looks nice. Seen a few and thought, "Yeah, that looks pretty good."
It's just that the Omega and Berlina look like absolute crap.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #29
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

I still think the BF MK2 Ghia looks better than any Ford made FG. (FPV'S look tough)
Not sold on the war paint racoon eys of the FPV's so I'd probably prefer the BF MK 2 Ghia over an FG if i was to buy.
Old 21-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #30
bigdude1011

IMO, the VE looks like an overweight VZ, the FG looks fresher.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post