Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Holden reintroduces second shift as V6 demand grows

http://www.caradvice.com.au/47868/ho...-demand-grows/

Quote:
Holden reintroduces second shift as V6 demand grows

November 16, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Holden has today reintroduced the second shift at its Port Melbourne engine plant on the back of rising local and global demand for its 3.0 and 3.6-litre V6s.

Production has increased from 240-320 to 440 units per day, a move that Holden powertrain lead executive, Mr Martyn Cray, says reflects higher export orders and a short-term rise in vehicle production at Adelaide.

“Holden has received an increase in orders for our global V6 engines which are exported to markets including South Korea, China and Mexico and we are lifting production of our engines as a result.

“We are also seeing increased local demand for Commodore after launching the new Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI) engine,” he said.

The daily rate will remain at 440 until the end of the year before dropping back to 400 through January and February 2010.

Mr Cray says the existing workforce will operate the reintroduced second shift, after a lack of demand forced the Fishermans Bend plant to switch to a single shift in June.

“The past year has been an incredibly challenging time for Holden’s manufacturing workforce as they manage their lives around changes in our production schedule.

“We managed to retain a skilled workforce through difficult times because we were confident things would turnaround. We are now able to lift production from within our existing team.”

Holden Vehicle Operations at Elizabeth will continue on a single shift despite production rising from 310 to 340 cars per day earlier this month.

by Tim Beissmann
Old 16-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

good news then I hate seeing Holden workers losing their shifts. I may love fords but I do not want south australias economy to buckle.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Good sign for the local industry. Still, there seems to be an imbalance / inaccuracy in the article.

It's talking about the main reason the Adelaide plant going to a double shift, is because engine export orders are up. The engines are assembled in Melbourne, not Adelaide.

Wonder what the forward orders for GMH are? Wonder if there will still be some down days in there too?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
good news then I hate seeing Holden workers losing their shifts. I may love fords but I do not want south australias economy to buckle.
That's good, but Holden don't build any engines in South Australia.

They're all built, from imported parts in Port Melbourne.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I realize that but it's a step toward more commodores being built and hopefully the return of all shifts. I just re read the article and realized the engines where what was in demand, not cars themselves.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 16-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I realize that but it's a step toward more commodores being built and hopefully the return of all shifts. I just re read the article and realized the engines where what was in demand, not cars themselves.
Not necessarily. Most of the engines built in Port Melbourne are exported.

Sorry to be a downer, but it will take a lot more than another hundred or so cars to help out Holden, when they export a bloody lot more cars than Ford do.

The only thing that will return another shift to Holden, is Local Cruze production, which is counter intuitive at best.

I'd prefer to hear about Holden removing down days and increasing the line rate, which directly benefits South Australia's economy.
Old 16-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

I think there is a general upswing globally. The latest filings indicate US GM has put on a third shift and sales are up ~20% over same time last year, although production is lower. I'd like to get my hands on GMAP financials to see how Holden are really travelling.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I think there is a general upswing globally. The latest filings indicate US GM has put on a third shift and sales are up ~20% over same time last year, although production is lower. I'd like to get my hands on GMAP financials to see how Holden are really travelling.
I have it on very good authority (read very good authority) that for quite a while (at least the last year), Holden even getting the green light from GM to stay open, has been a month by month proposition.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So where are the V6 blocks cast?? :

Old 17-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I have it on very good authority (read very good authority) that for quite a while (at least the last year), Holden even getting the green light from GM to stay open, has been a month by month proposition.

GK

That's explain why the VE hasn't had a facelift I suppose?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Duh Australia.. Those ingots aren't cast into happy elves you know ;)

Thanks for clearing that up Paxton. I like hearing good news for Holden, that's pretty much all I was trying to say.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 17-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That's explain why the VE hasn't had a facelift I suppose?
That could be due to more than GM's bankruptcy and other financial woes. VE needed substantial exports to make business sense from the start, and has recieved very little so far. They could simply be pushing everything for a few years like Ford had to with BA/BF.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
That doesn't really come as a surprise to me. Maybe I'm just a huge downer but it kinda obvious at times.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Quote:
Cylinder blocks and heads for both SIDI engines continue to be supplied from Hungary and Mexico, with machining taking place locally before final assembly at Holden’s $400 million Port Melbourne engine plant.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25762B0023038F
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Duh Australia.. Those ingots aren't cast into happy elves you know ;)

Thanks for clearing that up Paxton. I like hearing good news for Holden, that's pretty much all I was trying to say.
I think you will find that they are actually cast in Mexico. ION was the recipient of the supply contract, however when they went to the wall, Holden were left scrambling.

I'm not knocking Mexico as a place of origin, as the Falcon I6 blocks are cast there as well.
Old 17-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I was joking in reference to another thread. Sometimes it's hard to get sarcasm across in a post hehe
Game. Reinvented.

Old 17-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I'm not knocking Mexico as a place of origin, as the Falcon I6 blocks are cast there as well.

Not quite right Paxton....

The Cast Iron I6 blocks are cast at the "Geelong Casting Plant" in North Shore ...

The I6 Aluminium heads are cast in Mexico
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Not quite right Paxton....

The Cast Iron I6 blocks are cast at the "Geelong Casting Plant" in North Shore ...

The I6 Aluminium heads are cast in Mexico
Ahhh. I stand corrected.

I see. I thought it was the other way around.

I was under the impression that Ford had an Alloy casting plant in Geelong, where the heads were cast.

Bugger.
Old 17-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ahhh. I stand corrected.

I was under the impression that Ford had an Alloy casting plant in Geelong, where the heads were cast.

Bugger.
They do do some Aluminium casting....but not heads unfortunately. Rocker covers for starters from what I hear..
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Ahhh. I stand corrected.

Bugger.
Don't believe ford has ever cast aluminium heads in aus. Wasn't the 'alloy head' XD cast overseas too. Was it honda that did them? I don't care where they build stuff (apart from jobs for those that do it obviously) as long the outcome works when its all put together. I don't mind that Holden gets it heads from mexico.....the quality of the final engine however....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #21
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Don't believe ford has ever cast aluminium heads in aus. Wasn't the 'alloy head' XD cast overseas too. Was it honda that did them? I don't care where they build stuff (apart from jobs for those that do it obviously) as long the outcome works when its all put together. I don't mind that Holden gets it heads from mexico.....the quality of the final engine however....
From memory I read somewhere the alloy XD heads were cast in Japan by yamaha & later on cast the G6 heads that went on courier/bravo
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ahhh. I stand corrected.

Bugger.
There is still an aluminium casting area in Geelong, but their business has shrunk. They used to cast the heads but lost the business for BA. The heads are cast in Mexico but machined down here.

Rockers covers, lower control arms etc are cast here. There's other stuff done here too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Originally the XD alloy heads were cast by Honda until Ford was setup to do them. Head casting lasted here until the end of AU.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post