Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Skotty
Banned

Default Volunteer work

Just a quickiem how many of you guys do voulnteer work?

I've lost my job in December last year and having trouble finding what I want to do, however always had in a strong intrest in youth/social work since I was 17 (due to resons I wont go into on the forums), and well now I'm 21 its time to get my **** into gear and try getting into it because I'm not getting any younger right...

So I went into the Job Search center today, to see a Lifeline Volunteer Counsellors Required add in the scrap book... So I rang up and expressed my intrested and they said they'd love for me to come along to the information night as apperantly there are not many males working there and alot of men pefer to speak to males on the councelling line

Who else does volunteer work to try and get into the long-term job they want to do?

I'm actually some what excited - this may be the break-thru I needed to get into my career : :

Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

My wife and i recently came back from a month in Mongolia doing mission/community work etc

Was a great experience and i would recommend this kind of volunteer work to anyone

Hoping to go back again soon. We have been considering selling up and moving over for a couple of years etc

T
Old 23-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
bigev
Bloke

I spent a number of years with St John Ambulance. Made plenty of good friends and met my wife-to-be there. A very rewarding time but left in the end as it was getting in the way of work.
bigev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I volunteered at an op-shop for around six months.
I quit Uni six months prior and was not doing a hell of a lot, so I thought I'd get out and do something worthwhile.

In hindsight, the Op-Shop I worked at was ultimately run by Nazis and was not a "worthwhile cause" directly.

But if you choose the right place and love what you do, it's very rewarding for yourself and others as well.

So I highly recommend it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with the SES in Victoria. You meet some really good people who have geniune intentions in volunteer work. At 21 it would be a great experience for you and a great network for finding long term employment.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Qualifications you earn in Scouting are now approved by Workcover. Most Scout groups cover leaders out of pocket expenses, so the training is free! http://www.scouts.com.au/
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.

Last edited by DRU842; 24-01-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added link
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
StookEB

I've been trying to study for the past year or so and havnt got very far.
I was thinking of volunteering for something worthwhile, but being in a country town stops most of that. It would cost me a fortune in fuel just to volunteer, bloody diesel prices.
I'd never be able to do counselling though.
Old 24-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
I'm with the SES in Victoria. You meet some really good people who have geniune intentions in volunteer work. At 21 it would be a great experience for you and a great network for finding long term employment.
That's what I'm thinking of mate, yeah sure it means it'll make it longer for me to get the NF and do some work to it, but who cares what I get into the career I've wanted to get into for 5 years hey means after a while I can get a NU insted
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Captain Falcon
FALCON PAWWWNCH!!!

I was a CFA volunteer for a few years, good times.

Coz only hairdressers use blow dryers! :evil3:
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

If your interested in Volunteering, try Volunteering Auatralia's website You can use the website to find about volunteering, find volunteering opportunities in your local area etc.

I am a social worker by trade but now work in the public service, and used to manage the area that funds volunteering organisations around Australia and developed policy area related to volunteering. Volunteering Australia and the Volunteering Resource Centre in your local area should be able to set you up with opportunities that will suit your interests and assist you in developing skills etc.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #11
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

Been Volunteering 4 6 months feeding homeless people.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work as a volunteer motorsport official... great way to gt involved.
Have also worked as steam engine driver..

Volunteering is a great way of meeting people, particularly if you are not particularly outgoing. Also can help your job search, as it shows that you are eager to actually do some work... even better if the volunteer work is related to the job you are seeking.

Good luck.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

What did everyone think about Kevin Rudds idea where you can do volunteer work to pay off your HECS/HELP debt faster?

I would volunteer in a flash if it helped cut through the combined $40k HECS debt of myself and my wife. We lose thousands each tax time to our HECS debt. Apparently IT skills are of particular use which suits me.

I would probably volunteer on the weekends. Thoughts?
Old 30-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

If it helps you, do it i say. To be paying back the debt you guys must be earning over the prescribed amount. Thats good too.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

my missus does at the rspca and loves it

one of my mates is a youth worker he likes it but he reckons it has its ups and downs but so does everthing

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post