Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Falcon buyers come out of the woodwork

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226650232260

Quote:
FORD fans are rushing dealerships to buy one of the last Falcons before the model is axed, a reaction similar to that which followed the end of the V8 Falcon in 1982.
Thursday's announcement that Ford would close its local factories in 2016 is "bringing buyers out of the woodwork" rather than causing an expected drop in demand.
"My phone hasn't stopped ringing," said Ford salesman Hamilton Urquhart, who has sold more than 300 Falcon GTs over the past 10 years from one of the country's oldest Ford dealerships, established at Penrith in Sydney's west in 1963, just three years after Falcon production began.
"Contrary to what many people were expecting, the announcement looks like it will actually flush out all of those people who've been putting off buying a car," he said. "It really is bringing buyers out of the woodwork."
The biggest dealership in Australia for sales of Ford Falcon GTs, Bryan Byrt, in the Brisbane suburb Upper Mount Gravatt, has also seen a spike in buyer enquiries.
"I've already taken two calls this morning from customers saying `sign me up for the next limited edition'," said sales manager Ben Ruxton.
The dealership nearest to Ford's factory at Broadmeadows, Bayford at Coburg in Melbourne's northern suburbs, has also been inundated. "Yes we've had enquires but I'm actually trying to figure out when to buy one myself," said salesman Craig Power.
Among the first customers to put their hand up for one of the last Ford Falcons are Joe and Julie Blazic, who described as "devastating" the news that Ford would stop making cars in Australia after 87 years.
"Our car was in getting serviced and my husband heard the news on the radio and he rang me and said `ask the dealer to make sure we get one of the V8s before the Falcon goes'," she said. "We want to park it, it's not to be driven. We want to keep it for our kids for the future."
The Blazics, from the southwest Sydney suburb of Tahmoor, have owned four Falcons over the past 12 years and both come from "Ford families". "My dad owned six Falcons," she said.
They bought their latest Ford, the turbocharged F6 - one of the fastest in the Falcon range and at $60,000 one of the most expensive - less than a year ago. But yesterday the Blazics asked their Ford dealer to put a new $70,000 supercharged V8 on hold. They also plan to update their current turbo model.
"We want to have one of each - a turbo and a V8 - but we'll drive the turbo and store the V8," she said. In fact, Julie has already pulled rank and uses the turbocharged F6 - the same type of car used by an elite squad within the NSW highway patrol - as a daily driver. "I make him drive an old Datsun 1200 ute," she said.
Ford announced it would close its Geelong engine factory and Broadmeadows production lines in October 2016 after $600 million in losses in the past five years and record-low sales.
It is an unusually long warning - Mitsubishi gave just seven weeks notice before it closed its Adelaide factory in 2008.
Ford Australia boss Bob Graziano said he expects sales of fleet models to initially take a dent, but hopes updated models due in 2014 will stop the sales slide.
"There will likely be some impact as the Australian community works their way through this, but it's also important to note that even though we stop production in 2016, parts and service will go on beyond that," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...#ixzz2UDZi1csD
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Falcon buyers come out of the woodwork

Looking forward to seeing if this is reflected in the June/July sales numbers. I know I'll be waiting til 2014+ to buy
Old 25-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I will be buying the last of the series in 2016. If you can only afford one, why buy now? Grab one from the last batch. A great piece of machinery and a long lasting tribute.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty View Post
I will be buying the last of the series in 2016. If you can only afford one, why buy now? Grab one from the last batch. A great piece of machinery and a long lasting tribute.
The question is, how long before the factory closes will you have to order a made to order car?

Will the last few months see a huge influx of orders that the factory doesn't have that capacity to fulfill? Will some people miss out?
Old 25-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
The question is, how long before the factory closes will you have to order a made to order car? Will the last couple of months see a huge influx of orders that the factory doesn't have that capacity to fulfill so some people will miss out?
I doubt anyone will miss out. If there is an order, they have to make it, unless they tell dealerships at a certain point that no more Falcon/Territory orders are to be taken because the crunch date is nearing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
RAPID_BA
Banned

Hopefully before ford shuts their gates, ford gives something back by releasing a GTHO..... Maybe a limited edition of 351...

Make them the last 351 cars produced.....then shut the gates...full stop.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I believe, some People are only looking at buying now with a view to making money and cashing in on the hope of selling to some collector at a higher price. Limited edition or rarer performance models will get snapped up, by either enthusiasts or scalpers.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
That's what I will be doing. I imagine a few people will be buying them for storage, they will be worth mega bucks in the future.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
The question is, how long before the factory closes will you have to order a made to order car?

Will the last few months see a huge influx of orders that the factory doesn't have that capacity to fulfill? Will some people miss out?
Good question. And really, there's no guarantee that Ford won't shut the doors prior to 2016. If sales get to a certain point, I can see them shutting up shop much sooner. If we think about it, Ford's decision to announce it 3 years out is much like a budget leak - testing the waters and getting the reaction. The coverage and disappointment is being covered now in the media. If Ford shut up shop in let's say a year, the general public will hardly make a noise. In fact, you'll find that most will say "I thought they finished up last year!".

Ford will be able to say, "We tried to go until 2016, but it just got to a point where it wasn't viable". Quite understandable and hard to get a negative reaction from.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

This is a surprising response... Honestly thought people might abandon the Falcon even more in its last few years.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Ford does with the Falcon from now on. I remember Rod Barrett saying he always wanted to bring back the GTHO, but was waiting for the right time... Well, it's now or never!
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
This is a surprising response... Honestly thought people might abandon the Falcon even more in its last few years.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Ford does with the Falcon from now on. I remember Rod Barrett saying he always wanted to bring back the GTHO, but was waiting for the right time... Well, it's now or never!
The next (potentially 3 years) is a chance for Ford to really pay homage to its Australian manufacturing history. Really go out with a bang.

Bring back old model names etc for the last iteration of the Falcon.

It's also a good way for the marketing department to keep Aussie Ford fans loyal to the brand post Aussie manufactured cars.
Old 25-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good question. And really, there's no guarantee that Ford won't shut the doors prior to 2016. If sales get to a certain point, I can see them shutting up shop much sooner.
This worries me, as 2015/16 will be the first time I will ever be in the financial position to buy a brand new car, and I will be devastated if I never have the chance to own a brand new Falcon.
Old 25-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Venomous1
5.0 means business

2015 will be the time for me to get a supercharged Ute that's guaranteed!
Got a Xr6t back on 2011.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #14
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
This worries me, as 2015/16 will be the first time I will ever be in the financial position to buy a brand new car, and I will be devastated if I never have the chance to own a brand new Falcon.
Hey mate, it's cool. I'm just playing devil's advocate. Don't take what I'm saying as anything factual; just shooting the breeze. At this point, they are saying they will be around until 2016 At this point that is a fact. I'd put more reliability on that, rather than me throwing things out there.
Old 25-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #15
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how good the Quality Control will be from now on
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Cool Re: Falcon buyers come out of the woodwork

Interesting marketing stunt ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Interesting marketing stunt ;)
Wouldn't that be great? I'm always of the belief it ain't over to the fat lady sings.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I believe, some People are only looking at buying now with a view to making money and cashing in on the hope of selling to some collector at a higher price. Limited edition or rarer performance models will get snapped up, by either enthusiasts or scalpers.
I wonder what the last off the line car will go for? Auction? Ford museum piece? Who knows.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Thumbs up for this bit of news.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
newi

Reckon the XR50 will be 'one to have' down the track??

There certainly isn't going to be an XR60....

Kinda hope so - as there is one sitting in the shed.....
newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could this be be the best form of advertising to get buyers ??? No Falcon ads for months, then the news of closure and volia" people go looking at Falcon!!!!! Falcon needs a decent marketing Dept.....with decent ads highlighting its strengths..then up the tech at no cost before the FH...I like the old American ad.."Ford Built for the Road Ahead" change it for the distances people cover in Australia....
Old 25-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still wont be in a position to buy a new Falcon by 2016...

They will still depreciate so hopefully by the end of the decade I will have one of the last g6et's
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

surely the F6 is the one to have, the true Australian.
GT is not....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's hoping Ford bring back some of the awesome colours for limited releases such as Breeze, Shockwave etc.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
surely the F6 is the one to have, the true Australian.
GT is not....
Umm, what?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Oz52F1

Sky High values.....just like those Leyland P76s.......
05 G220 5.4
00 AU LPG ute
69 F350 dooolly LWB
2013 XR6 - Lightning Strike + Lux Pack
75 F350 dooolly SWB
75 C30
[S}69 Benz 300SEL 6.3[/S]
Oz52F1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Umm, what?
The F6 motor is Geelong-made, the V8 is imported.

I cannot wait for the 2014 facelift, I will buy then. Hopefully we get keyless start, there's not much else u need to add to these cars.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And this is where it's at. The humble Falcon will go into a slow decline leaving only limited run FPV's desirable.

The biggest dealership in Australia for sales of Ford Falcon GTs, Bryan Byrt, in the Brisbane suburb Upper Mount Gravatt, has also seen a spike in buyer enquiries.
"I've already taken two calls this morning from customers saying `sign me up for the next limited edition'," said sales manager Ben Ruxton.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
krypto71

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Here's hoping Ford bring back some of the awesome colours for limited releases such as Breeze, Shockwave etc.
Thats precisely what I was thinking would be great.

A Cobalt Blue or Phantom Purple 2016 XR8 sounds good to me!
krypto71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
A few BF Cobra buyers back in the market?
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: