Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Aussie taxis without Falcon

Given that the Falcon represents the lion's share of taxis in Australia (and Victoria especially), what will taxis consist of after 2016?

I would love to see the Camry take the Falcon's place - although can it be adapted to LPG? Is hybrid acceptable for taxi fleets?

The Camry seems to work well in New York, a city whose taxi fleet now consists of Ford Escape SUVs and Camrys after years dominated by Crown Victoria.

Thoughts?

BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aussie taxis without Falcon

They're into all sorts now including (increasingly?) diesel vans, which would be the way I would prob go.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
SpecialK
Starter Motor

Yep, mini vans are the way to go. I believe NYC Cabs also gave a long standing contract to Nissan with their mini van or something similar .
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Most of the Yellow cabs in brisbane are Camry Hybrids or Prius...

Most of them are purchased new too now days.

Ford lost the taxi market when they turned their back on the fleet operators.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is there a business case in continuing making FG as a taxi only vehicle?

All the R&D has been done. Large, economical, safe, reliable and easy to maintain.

Perhaps only 2 engine options? 2L Ecoboost and the 2L Diesel engine used in the LW Focus or the 2.7 from territory (Aim to to maintain a sub 10L per 100 suburban economy figure).

Strip all the luxury stuff out, have a basic fit-out that will appeal to the taxi industry and develop a LHD model. Weight should drop to 1550kg to help economy.

Then, pitch the 'Ford Taxi' to global markets???

Keep the model running as long as possible with just minor tweaks (like the 2nd Gen Crown Vic) or whatever Taxi they use in Singapore?

Silly idea???

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is there a business case in continuing making FG as a taxi only vehicle?

All the R&D has been done. Large, economical, safe, reliable and easy to maintain.

Perhaps only 2 engine options? 2L Ecoboost and the 2L Diesel engine used in the LW Focus or the 2.7 from territory (Aim to to maintain a sub 10L per 100 suburban economy figure).

Strip all the luxury stuff out, have a basic fit-out that will appeal to the taxi industry and develop a LHD model. Weight should drop to 1550kg to help economy.

Then, pitch the 'Ford Taxi' to global markets???

Keep the model running as long as possible with just minor tweaks (like the 2nd Gen Crown Vic) or whatever Taxi they use in Singapore?

Silly idea???

First line....no, they last too long.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 24-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought that Taxi's needed to be replaced after 7 years old.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "lions share" of the taxi market...?

I can't remember the last time I saw a Falcon taxi...or Commodore for that matter...they're nearly all Camrys, Hybrid Camrys, the odd Aurion, a bunch of those ridiculous Prius's, or people movers of some sort.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought that Taxi's needed to be replaced after 7 years old.
And thats too long for such a niche market.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 24-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

We still have some BA/F wagons & a few sedans here. Last week we fitted out a new prius, that makes 3 or 4 here, couple of hybrid camrys, ssanyong, kia carnival, hiace vans.

We have also fitted out Hyundai vans.

Out of all that the operators say the prius has the lowest running cost. I would be rather annoyed being picked up from the airport with 3 mates in a prius. They are just too small.

Week after next we have a falcon booked in. I dare say we wont see too many more :((
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Is that for our market? Is that after 7 years use or 7 years of age from manufacture?

What about in other countries? The Crown Vic taxi had a model run of almost 13 years. When I went to Singapore they had some really old cars driving around as taxis. Well they were probably newish, but just old designs - Toyota Crowns I think???

Old 24-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
mick_bris
Starter Motor

Taxi operators here in Bris actively look for 1-2 yr Camry hybrids that have done 50k odd. They are expensive to buy new and they depreciate worse than a falcon, thus turning them into cheap to buy and cheap to run taxis
mick_bris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
real time

a 2016 plated mustang would be nice
real time is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
MrMaestro

Up until the last few years in Melbourne almost all taxis were Falcons. You'd only see the odd Commodore or Statesman, or Avalon (even saw a Magna taxi once). It's been getting more diverse in the last few years and I've seen plenty of Camrys and Prius' and Civics. Even saw a Chrysler 300 a few weeks ago.

I heard Ford was actively trying to ditch the taxi image as they think it's given Falcon a bad rep. Not surprising either, from comments I see on various forums. I never understood the thinking from people who buy a Toyota purely because they want a reliable car and don't consider Falcon. AU taxis were still in operation not that long ago and there's a good reason for that.
MrMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Most taxis here are passats and prius anyway. Still the odd falcon around though.
Old 24-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darwin is about 5% - to 10% of big cars - Falcon / Commy, 10% Toyota HiAce and the rest are Prius / Camry Hybrids.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, creep forward in the rank without having to start each time.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 24-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most are going away from the falcon anyway.
as much as i hate to say it our new FG's are rubbish cars for taxi work just not robust enough, the interior falls apart too easily the suspension wears out too quickly. had the same problems with the Ba's but it has gotten alot worse with the Fg's.

Au's and EF's were great.

taxi in victoria can only be run for 6.5years from date of manufacture.

most are now going to camry hybrid or prius. we will probably go down this path as well, great fuel economy and parts are now cheap and plentiful. no battery problems to report yet from operators who have 500K+ on the odo.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is that for our market? Is that after 7 years use or 7 years of age from manufacture?

What about in other countries? The Crown Vic taxi had a model run of almost 13 years. When I went to Singapore they had some really old cars driving around as taxis. Well they were probably newish, but just old designs - Toyota Crowns I think???
According to Victorian hire car age and type requirements

People mover vehicles with seating capacity less than 9 people including driver is 5 years from date of manufacture, 8 years with a VHC rego plates.

More details in link above...
Old 24-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
According to Victorian hire car age and type requirements

People mover vehicles with seating capacity less than 9 people including driver is 5 years from date of manufacture, 8 years with a VHC rego plates.

More details in link above...
Thanks for that. My suggestion was more for offshore markets where the rules are much less lax.

Having said that, a car that leaves the factory several years into a cycle is still a 'new' car, and not dated back to when the first series was released.

Making FG in "Taxi Spec" will mean that for several years onwards Ford would be getting the most out of their plant / tooling, parts suppliers, workers skills etc etc etc. Sort of like 'value adding' an existing product.

Would also keep people down south in a job.

Should be able to sell them for mid to high 20's.

Anyway, like I said... just thinking out loud

Old 24-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Buntz
Straight Eight

They won't be as cheap to replace the drivetrain come time as it would with a Falcon.
Old 24-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

An interesting idea, but if was workable why didn't they do it from the start??

I'd say nearly all Falcon taxis are LPG, not petrol so they are only used in large numbers where LPG is cheap, ie capital cities.

When LPG hits $1 a litre Camrys, Vans and Prius take over, with the odd other make getting tried as well.

Fords ecoboost 4 and LPi seem good ideas but its too little too late as most taxis are purchased secondhand, ex cop cars, govt cars etc. These will just be getting to the secondhand market now so we can see what they are like and if they will do 500000kms.

The demise of the wagon has seen many owners jump to vans, a few Mondeos getting trialled but they are not working very well, due to lack of parts like any other imported model.

Taxi age is a state government rule and varies whether it is a city or country cab, or car or van. Usually metro areas is about 6 years from compliance plate for car and 8 for van, country normally gets another year or two due to lower kms.

You had better get used to cuddling up in the back of a Prius.....or better still take one each...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Jastel is right.

In Brisbane most taxis are still Ford Falcons, but this number is about 50.1%, down from 95% less than a decade ago. And much like the falcons, most of the Camry or Prius hybrids are secondhand, because as mick bris says, they depreciate like crazy.

As much as I love falcons and love LPG, when you're doing 20L/100klms on LPG in a falcon or 5L/100klms of petrol in a Prius, who you gonna love? It really is the difference between profit and no profit in the brisbane taxi industry.

The bottom line is that the Prius should never have been allowed to be a Taxi. You'd never let a Corolla be a taxi, so why a Prius? It's simply because they are a hybrid that they get a go.

This is an example of the way society is going - pay as much, get less. A prius is a far inferior experience to a Falcon - especially if you've got more than three people and more than one suitcase.
Old 24-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

I can't remember the last time I saw a Falcon taxi...or Commodore for that matter...they're nearly all Camrys, Hybrid Camrys, the odd Aurion, a bunch of those ridiculous Prius's, or people movers of some sort.
I'm in Melbourne at present and 90% of taxis are Falcons. Most times a taxi rank has nothing but Falcons.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Most peoples experience with a Falcon is when they ride in a Taxi. And its generally not a good one.

The Taxi image has been a big problem for Ford for many years now, and shares its role in the Falcon's unpopularity. When most of your potential market's experience with your product is riding in the back of a smelly, dirty cab that creaks and groans - you have a problem.

The feeling potential customers get is generally one of disgust. You're hardly going to lust after one.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #26
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

In Perth they're all Falcons except for the odd Prius. Commodores are even rarer.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #27
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Ever noticed, how Mazda has stayed away from the hire/fleet market?

And they're currently one of the 'most fashionable' brands of car to own for the hip young family.

My Gran wanted to upgrade her ED Fairmont, to a Mazda3,
so I tried to find one to hire for a weekend - for her to test out.

You can't hire one anywhere in Vic, that I could find, and dealers don't seem to want to lend one for the weekend.

Needless to say, she decided to stick with her ever faithful ED Fairmont.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 25-05-2013 at 04:02 AM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #28
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by real time View Post
a 2016 plated mustang would be nice
A taxi with 2 doors and limited back seat leg room makes lots of sense!!!
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257B27001C7652
Probably this monstrosity.

Maybe taxi companies will buy a glut of them in 2016, so theres still a decent fleet for 6 years or so. Is it 6 years they keep em for?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Maybe taxi companies will buy a glut of them in 2016, so theres still a decent fleet for 6 years or so. Is it 6 years they keep em for?
In victoria according to the Victorian hire car age and type requirements

If its an "imported high luxury vehicle" they can be on the road for up to 25 years from date of manufacture. Normal cars in Vic are 5 years, or 8 with VHC.