Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
XC-351

Lightbulb Laws on: Gauges on bonnet???

I just wanna no what the laws are in VIC in regards to having gauges placed on the bonnet? i am interested in pleacing 3 on my bonnet more near the passenger side, but only wanna do it if its legal

Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Last I checked when building the XD was that they ARE illegal, as they would be harmfull to a pedestrian in the event of a collision with your car. I don't think much has changed.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Expect to get attention from the plod.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think you can get away with it if you mount it in a flush raised part of the bonnet or the rear of a flush mount scoop.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i've always wondered about this and thought it a bit odd.

What would stop someone deciding to smash them off with a baseball bat etc? Or do they get disconnected and carried around after the car is parked (kind of like removing the face from a CD player and taking it with you)
Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

They are LEGAL, please check the Vehicle Modification book available from Vic Roads, its in section...... 15.

" Gauges may be mounted externally forward of the windscreen in a position visible to the driver provided they meet the folloing requirements which are effectively the same as the bonnet scoop and protrusion requirements:
  • The gauges and any attaching brackets or covers must be of a smooth construction with the edges suitably radiused so that they are not likely to increase the risk of injury to a person;
  • The surface of any part of the gauge or cover visible to the driver must not be more reflective that the general bodywork of the vehicle;
  • If the gauges have instrument lighting then the intensity of the light must not be greater than that of the interior instrument panel;
  • The gauges or covers must not prevent the driver from having a clear uninterrupted view through the full width of the windscreen of all parts of the road surface 11 metres forward of the steering wheel viewed from any driving position permitted by the range of adjustment of the driver's seat;
  • If the gauges or mounting brackets have sharp edges or are constructed in such a way likelihood of injury to any person is increased then they must be covered by a fairing which presents a smooth surface when viewed from the front and side of the vehicle.
It is recommended that pressure gauges are of a type that are electrically controlled, however if pressure lines are required to operate the gauges then the lines must be suitable for the pressures and temperatures involved, braided type lines are preferred. The lines must be appropriately supported and routed so that they are not likely to fail or be damaged during normal use."

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.... was hell hard to type it all :P
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports

Last edited by Saiken; 12-01-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

All good and all, but why would you want gauges on the passenger side? Arent gauges there to monitor conditions in the engine, oil temp, AF ratios etc? What use would they be on the other side of the car?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

I was wondering that to.... plus as Inducted_Breeze stated, wouldn't you be worried about people smashing or stealing them?
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Vicroads regulation PDF here.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

If you hit a pedestrian with your car, I think they would already have some serious injuries...the gauges wont do much more!

Besides if they get hooked onto them they should be thanking you for not throwing them over the roof of the car!!

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

ha ha ha, id be more worried about my scoop than gauges.... or a blower!!!!

Cobra Motorsports
Old 13-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Each to their own but have always though externally mounted gauges looked a bit ordinary. Why do people mount gauges externally, practicality, aesthetics?
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Fuel [capillary] pressure gauges cannot be mounted in cabin..
On a blown engine they place them there..
I would rather have wide band and be done with it !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
Each to their own but have always though externally mounted gauges looked a bit ordinary. Why do people mount gauges externally, practicality, aesthetics?
With you. Reminds me of a 1949 Allis Chalmers tractor.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I've always thought it looks odd too, for some reason they always seem to be part of the whole VL thing? or maybe it's just here in Melton?
Old 13-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #16
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think pedestrians would have bigger problems than a few gauges on the bonnet in an accident.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Fuel [capillary] pressure gauges cannot be mounted in cabin..
On a blown engine they place them there..
I would rather have wide band and be done with it !!

Right, fair call then. I wouldn't mind seeing them on a car that looked really hard but when you see them on a Nissan Pulsar they look a bit try hard.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll call Rice...
On 99% of vehicle's they're fitted to they serve no more useful purpose than they would in the dash.

Old 13-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
Cause their fully sick uleh.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #20
XC-351

thanks for the help, to clear a few things up...

when i said mounting them on the passenger side i meant more to the left then center on an angle facing the driver...

as for why doing it on the bonnet, i have a spare bonnet in the same colour and condition as my car, i would rather drill 3 holes in a bonnet instead of wrecking my original dash...

as for what gauges, things that arnt in my car that are usefull such as a volts gauge may be usefull...

i think they can look good if done taste-fully
Old 13-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #21
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know the legalities in NSW?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The old GTO use to have them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:68_GTO_Tach.jpg
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

couple of things...

-Bonnet/Plenum are legal, provided installation guidlines are followed

-If a Gauge is mounted outside, it must follow similar rules to bonnet scoops relating to vision, and impact. They must be covered as no sharp edges protrude

-Bonnet/Plenum mounted gauges have been around for donkeys years, I fail to see them as rice if they were found from factory on some cars and were the rage on 80's pro streeters and panel vans....

-Bonnet/Plenum gauges were mounted on the outside as a requirement on some racing (Street/strip also) as some racing governing bodies disallowed the use of fluid gauges in the cabin for safety.

-on some cars, their auxiliary gauges may not be room for gauges (in a visible spot) inside, also, some gauge positions are defectable Inside as they are hazardous in and accident...

-IF its on a Vl, its probally because of ****factor

-FOX1 had gauges in the hood scoop...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post