The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden updates Commodore range MY 2012

Holden updates Commodore range
Matt Campbell
September 6, 2011 - 5:43PM

MY12 update sees styling tweaks and new colours for Aussie-made large sedan.

Holden will give the Commodore the most minor of facelifts when it introduces the MY12 updated model from November.

Earlier this week Holden revealed the updated Commodore’s fuel consumption cuts, but today’s announcement focuses on minor cosmetic updates that will apply to selected models in the range, including the addition of two new colours: “Perfect Blue”, based on Peter Brock’s famous “Formula Blue” seen on the VK HDT Group A SS (as seen on the SS V-Series model above); and “Chlorophyll”, a metallic teal hue.

Model-wise, the entry-level Omega will now gain 16-inch alloy wheels (previously steel wheels with hubcaps) and a slightly revised bumper with chrome highlights.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The Berlina adds chrome fog-light surrounds and silver seat stitching on the leather-trimmed versions.

The Calais sees no change, but the Calais V-Series adds a new rear lip spoiler.

The SV6 and SS models gain chrome highlights around the air intake and grille, and the SS V-Series adds chrome-lipped fog-light surrounds and red stitching on selected models.

The top-end SS V Redline performance model gains new 19-inch wheels, the four-piston Brembo brake callipers are painted red, and FE3 sports suspension is now standard on the Sportwagon and Ute models (the sedan model already had it).

Holden also says the Commodore’s iQ media interface has seen improvements to its Bluetooth connectivity and updates to be compatible with more smartphones.

My comment..this will be out before FG2..BUGGER!!

Last edited by csv8; 26-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: Holden updates Commodore range MY 2012

The Omega's had alloys since '08 hasn't it?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Indeed, then Ford followed suit shortly after FG hit the market.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
krzysiek

Seems like this is their combat to the FGII and also possibly the LPi coming out. Not that it is a match for the LPi, but I guess it's something they wanted to get out there to keep sales on their end.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Sorry to be posting again on a similar topic, but this time the commodore... But I must say, it actually does look very nice! (This is just going by the photo provided)
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Ibrox90
Banned

Uncles working on this at the moment, pretty improvement package

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Also looking at that picture, the SSV looks more Berlina to me rather than SSV.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Its just enough to freshen it up I think. I noticed the series 2 now has the cheek bones that FG has.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely at some point, the person who updates his 3 year lease in 2012 should start thinking, this is the same car i got in 2009, and it is the same car i got in 2006. I've spent $90000 over the last 6 years, and I have ended up with the same car that is sitting over there in the car yard thats going for $12000.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if Ford would start doing MY10 MY11 MY12 series as well. I have seen it around FPV's but I am not sure if the trade call it this or if FPV or Ford have adopted this system, but I just do not see the Falcon referred to as a MY 11 FG like they do with the VE.

It is funny but it is what has kept Commodore fresh by not letting it become stale. The MY 12 VE will be 6 years old next year but it is a long long way away from the 06 model yet it still looks the same, well sort of, and it is still a VE.

It also means that people can still buy a five year old car that still looks like a current model (even if it has not got the latest upgrades) which should slow depreciation overall in the long term. This is a very Euro thing to do (keeping existing models over extended time frames that is) but I never thought that it would work in Australia but it has.

Also "Perfect Blue" being based on Peter Perfects standout VK HDT Formula Blue or "Blue Meanie" colour as the punters like to call it, works for me! I wonder if Ford have ever considered Truly Blue even if it is just an anniversary model. This would be a smash amongst the Ford faithful if it was available as an XR8 imho.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
It also means that people can still buy a five year old car that still looks like a current model (even if it has not got the latest upgrades) which should slow depreciation overall in the long term. This is a very Euro thing to do (keeping existing models over extended time frames that is) but I never thought that it would work in Australia but it has.
Only Holden could pull this off in AU.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Its hardly a styling update, what a bit of chrome and red calipers, not that VE2 was much anyway. Holden wont be spending any money on the VE2 as its nearly at its end. Bit of a joke really.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
MAD
Petro-sexual

So this is what, VE series 4?
Midlife minor updates are supposed to carry the 'series' tag. Bigger changes are a new model.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
I wonder if Ford would start doing MY10 MY11 MY12 series as well. I have seen it around FPV's but I am not sure if the trade call it this or if FPV or Ford have adopted this system, but I just do not see the Falcon referred to as a MY 11 FG like they do with the VE.

It is funny but it is what has kept Commodore fresh by not letting it become stale. The MY 12 VE will be 6 years old next year but it is a long long way away from the 06 model yet it still looks the same, well sort of, and it is still a VE.

Yes very true and observant. Holden are following the euro trend of subtle styling changes over an extended period to keep the design synergy current and help resale values.
A 10 year old BMW or Merc still looks close enough to the current model

Unfortunately if Ford try it they'll get canned to death here.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Sucks for those who rushed out and brought a ve2 LOL!!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Better economy in Omega too.. 8.9 Litres per hundred...

They reckon MY12 cars will be hitting dealers next week.

VE has had about 5 - 6 minor updates now...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Surely its murdering the resale, little there is of it with locals, that foggy setup looks pretty pox too.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Surely its murdering the resale, little there is of it with locals, that foggy setup looks pretty pox too.
Actually its doing the opposite to resale... (although it would be tough to prove, Holdens / Fords always have pretty ordinary resale).

Bringing new models out every 18 months like Holden use to was one of the reasons why resale was so bad, now with the MY updates they are still the same car just with minor touchups. simliar to what the euros do.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Actually its doing the opposite to resale... (although it would be tough to prove, Holdens / Fords always have pretty ordinary resale).

Bringing new models out every 18 months like Holden use to was one of the reasons why resale was so bad, now with the MY updates they are still the same car just with minor touchups. simliar to what the euros do.

5 years, of 40,000 VE's a year are now out there. Out of those, 120,000 have come from government, rental fleets etc purchased at a sizeable discount than your average private buyer will get. Anyone privately buying a VE at the moment and thinking they are going to be retaining any resale value in the years to come might not be the brightest person in the world. Even the best kept VE is going to be akin to selling the best house in the worst street (a very long street).
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Whats with the crappy chrome they have stuck around the grille and fogs on the SV6 and SS. Looks out of place as there is not another skerick of chrome anywhere else on the body.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Must say im quite suprised they still sell a alot of these considering the same basic car was released in 2006 and we are aproaching 2012

Although one could argue BA-BFII was only similar updates with some facelifts and improved drivetrain (ZF mainly) and that spread from 2002 to 2008.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
fordv8!

i cant believe this thing sells well its bloody 6 years old
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8!
i cant believe this thing sells well its bloody 6 years old
Heres the perfect business plan. You can literally pick up hundreds of VE's each week at 40% of what a dealer sells them for at sites like the following

http://www.auctions.sa.gov.au/prices...&Submit=Search

Add $100 of chrome, re-warranty it for 3 years (dont worry you wont have to honour it if you dont want to), add $10,000 to the price, and you are still selling the same car for $10,000 less than your competitor (Holden dealerships). Take off one of the steel panels, add an aluminium one for an extra $100, and you may even qualify for a green fund rebate of $1000 per car.