Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2024, 10:45 PM   #2941
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Spent the afternoon rectifying this as best I could...

Only took before and after pics of the top of the tailgate are

Everything cleaned up pretty well.

I mixed up some carpro Ech20 at 1:15 and it worked a treat. Another quality versatile product from carpro.

Yes, I know I didn't clean up the rubber bits... Next time. It's taking a few washes to get it closer to my standard, which isn't high compared to most on here.
Glad you are enjoying ECH20. It took me a while to warm to it, but its earnt a permanent place in my cabinet.

And I forgive you for not dealing with the rubber boots, I hate those things. If/when you address them, place a towel underneath and spray with some APC (or your Carpro Inside), then agitate with a boars hair brush, followed by spraying some water or even ECH20 to flush out the dirt/APC emulsion................the towel mops that up and prevents it from making the surrounding areas dirty.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2024, 11:24 AM   #2942
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I was really considering the Grid Guards to put in the bottom. I was looking at round buckets.

I am considering the plain old 20 Litre Bunning Pail Bucket. $8 each.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bunnings...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I could get a Repco or SCA one as well I guess to have different colours.

Can't believe I am putting this much thought into buckets....

EDIT : Just checked the Recpco web site and they sell the grid guards for pail buckets for $10 each. I think I might go that way. Bunnings bucket, Repco Bucket and two grid guards. Use my old bucket for wheels. All up less that $40.
I use the Bowdens 2 step buckets with grit guards, and with the black dolley as recommended by DFB. They have held up very well and are great quality.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:26 PM   #2943
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Could be worse............................

I'm terrified to add up what all that cost me. The red and blue bucket dollies I had to import from the USA because no one in Australia stocks them.........other than black. My buckets were from Waxit, they are 15-litre but if/when I do it again, I'll go with 20-litre. I would also stick with the standard grit guard's, or the Bowdens ones. The dirt-lock ones are rubbish.

These are my recommendations, I'll link you to websites so you see what I mean, but quite often Repco/Bunning's ect will have these in generic forms. All of the below were pieced together over a couple of years from various vendors.

Buckets -

15 or 20-litre, I would go with the later. I also like them in white so you can see any contamination left in the bucket and wash the properly before next use.

Depending on how you wash, you will need two or three buckets. One for wheels (which I have in red), one or two for washing (I don't use the two-bucket-method, so I only use one in blue).

https://carcareco.com.au/product/buc...id-included-2/

Grit Guard -

There are plenty of variations on a theme here. As mentioned earlier, I didn't care for the fancy Dirt-lock versions. The classic Grit Guard or the Bowden's version are the way to go. One for each bucket, colour coded to use.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/gri...d-insert-26cm/
https://www.bowdensown.com.au/the-great-barrier-thingy

Gamma Seal -

I'll be honest in saying these were originally for looks alone, however having the airtight seal on them keeps the inside of the bucket clean between use. Ideally, you want buckets that will accept the Gamma Seal ring, the above linked buckets do. My buckets were not designed for Gamma Seals, but they do fit. Again, colour coded for use.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/gam...rious-colours/

Bucket Dollies -

This is essential in my opinion, they make the whole wash process easier and more convenient. No lifting heavy buckets around the car, just roll them. They also permit seated wheel cleaning, you can scoot from wheel to wheel without getting up.

Because I wanted colour matching dollies, I had to order the Grit Guard versions from the USA, don't ask me how much they cost to get here, I don't even want to know myself. Most local vendors only sell the black version with smaller casters. Detailing Shed also sell a few different versions with added storage holders.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...l&_ss=e&_v=1.0

https://carcareco.com.au/product/pro...et-dolly-copy/
https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...iABEgI8k_D_BwE

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...gn=sag_organic

Non-matching -

Matching, I felt so much better......................

Small vs Large casters -

I also put the OG decals on in matching colours.

So, yeah, I think you are all good on the overthinking of buckets. Me? Yeah, deranged.

In defense, the buckets form a big part of detailing, so getting them "right" makes perfect sense to me.
Amazing set up and great info.

Love the FORD stickers/theme of the buckets.

Dolly no good to me with the slope of my slab I would always be chasing them.

I can see how people get addicted to this stuff.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #2944
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
I use the Bowdens 2 step buckets with grit guards, and with the black dolley as recommended by DFB. They have held up very well and are great quality.
I think I will go the Bowden's way.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 05-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #2945
prydey
Rob

I wash cars on my front lawn, which is also sloped, so no wheeled buckets for me.

DFB - please excuse the unsightly gardens
Old 05-03-2024, 05:37 PM   #2946
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I wash cars on my front lawn, which is also sloped, so no wheeled buckets for me.

DFB - please excuse the unsightly gardens
No judgement here, mine are hardly show pieces either, I do it for a living so I'm not as inclined to my own when there is no money reward involved at the end.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #2947
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I swore I would never buy Chemical Guys again, but someone had been pestering me to try Honeydew Snow Foam, so I caved....................

And this is not an inexpensive product in Australia, in fact its fairly overpriced. Who knows, I might love it!
Mustang GT

Old 07-03-2024, 08:49 PM   #2948
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
I swore I would never buy Chemical Guys again, but someone had been pestering me to try Honeydew Snow Foam, so I caved....................

And this is not an inexpensive product in Australia, in fact its fairly overpriced. Who knows, I might love it!

Did the 30% off sale snag you?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2024, 09:16 PM   #2949
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Did the 30% off sale snag you?
Not quite 30%................

https://www.automegastore.com.au/che...uto-wash-473ml
Mustang GT

Old 08-03-2024, 11:19 PM   #2950
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to my local Autobarn after work today and they had the Bowden's Buckets in Stock.

So that made the decision for me, as my options here are limited to what's available.

25% off on all detailing products sealed the deal.

Ended up with a 'WASH'. 'RINSE' & 'WHEELS' bucket as well as two grid guards and some 'Snow Job' snow foam washing shampoo as I have a very dirty, dusty black car to wash and detail and want to reduce any further swirl marking.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 08-03-2024 at 11:26 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2024, 11:53 AM   #2951
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a new car to detail and protect and a older vehicle to detail and sell I sorta got carried away online ...

Have a guess how my next couple of weekends will be spent?
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2024, 07:15 PM   #2952
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR View Post
With a new car to detail and protect and a older vehicle to detail and sell I sorta got carried away online ...

Have a guess how my next couple of weekends will be spent?
Nicely done!
Mustang GT

Old 13-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #2953
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

While I have a number of brushes that I like, if you asked me what my favorite is, the answer would be simple and quick.....................

The Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush -

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...ory-tyre-brush

Why? Because this is the brush that has surprised me most. Previous to this, I was using the Maxshine/Tuff Shine brush, which worked just fine. It had really stiff bristles, meaning it would scrub deep. When I got the Detail Factory version, I immediately loved the fully soft touch rubber coating, making it easier to grip when wet. But I did wonder if the significantly softer bristles would do the job. I needn't have worried.......................

What surprised me was that the softer bristles that I worried wouldn't clean properly actually did a better job than the old Maxshine/Tuff Shine. In this case, the bristles conform to the tyre sidewall as you agitate, which allows them to cover more surface area and deliver the same level of cleaning with less effort. The softer bristles also allow for a better lather of the tyre cleaning chemical.

Putting it another way, I actually found cleaning tyres tedious before this brush. But now, its easily one of my favorite detailing tasks.

I loved this brush so much that I bought another for use on rubber floor mats. Again, another task I hated because I could never achieve the results I wanted with other brushes. And again, the combination of bristle length and stiffness suits floor mat cleaning perfectly. Combined with the McKee's cleaner, this is THE secret sauce for rubber floor mats.

So, I love this brush! And now, Detail Factory are offering an XL version for larger truck and SUV tyres.

https://detailfactory.com/products/xl-tire-brush
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...crubbing-brush

The XL version is said to offer 4 times the surface area compared to the regular brush. Everything else remains, including the lovely soft touch handle and goldilocks level bristle stiffness. While the original version will be more versatile, especially on low profile rubber, the XL will great for those who are dealing with high profile tyres on utes, trucks and SUV's more often.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 07:04 PM   #2954
prydey
Rob

Damn you..... In the nicest possible way!
Old 14-03-2024, 08:19 PM   #2955
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I remember when that happened, I was so worried on your behalf.

I was actually having an argument about this on Autogeek last week, someone was asking about what APC they should use on their interior. My comment was that you really don't need an APC for interior cleaning, that there are much safer pH neutral interior cleaners that clean perfectly well without posing the risk of causing damage like a high pH APC can.

And then the good-old yankie boys came out of the woodwork, one claiming that he had been using Meguiar's D101 APC on interiors forever and had no issues. I was actually waiting for those comments by the way, the sort of guys who have never used anything but Meguiar's because that's what they have always used, but never thought that maybe things have moved on since 1999. If Meguiar's did offer a pH neutral interior cleaner, they would have been shouting from the rooftops about it instead of D101.

This also formed part of my response -

"I see so many Youtubers hosing interiors down with APC, sometimes blasted with steam in the process, and shudder at what could happen. Granted, some of those interiors are filthy, but they are also quite often older interiors with 10-20 years of age on them. You can be sure they won't be showing before and after shots of an interior turned white after using APC."

"Quoted from another poster in a previous thread on the topic -

"Meguiars D101 has a pH of 13 in concentrate. That is one level below oven cleaner. Diluted 10:1 it has a pH of 11.959. Diluted 50:1 it has a pH of 11.292. It seems a bit too alkaline for interiors."

I'm not saying APC or D101 doesn't have its place, but unless you are dealing with a putrid interior, you can clean just as effectively with a pH neutral cleaner. Even on my daily drivers that I attend to, one of them from a heavy smoker, I never require such alkalinity. As for the garage queens, again, its either an interior detailer or simply a damp towel.

Now, if you are a pro detailer tasked with cleaning heavily soiled and neglected interiors, sure, I can see the value in having a heavy duty APC."
Have to laugh, the guy telling me that he had never caused damage by using D101 APC regularily on car interiors just posted this.................

"I’ve actually started causing this to happen once on the steering wheel buttons of a Mercury Maurader after using APC to clean it. It’s like it was too strong for it and they started to deteriorate and get sticky."

But what I know, I'm just a dumb Aussie.
Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2024, 09:06 PM   #2956
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For those who like using NV EVO ceramic coating, Waxit have it on heavy discount at the moment, $99.95 down from $179.95, or 44% off RRP.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...nt=30003113809

Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2024, 09:40 PM   #2957
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should you use a microfibre towel wash product or is that BS and you just throw them in the washing machine with some washing detergent?

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-03-2024, 10:08 PM   #2958
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Should you use a microfibre towel wash product or is that BS and you just throw them in the washing machine with some washing detergent?
You can use laundry detergent, in particular liquid rather than powder to eliminate the possibility of undissolved detergent scratching you paint. But, you also need to be sure that the laundry detergent is free of fabric softeners, that swill clog up your towels and basically ruin them.

The reason why I use a dedicated microfiber detergent is to ensure the following -

- No fabric softeners

- Effectively dissolved and remove detailing chemicals, in particular polymer and Si02 sealants

- To prolong their usable life, keeping them soft and absorbent

- You towels are what touch the paint the most, I see no reason to go cheap on maintaining them as best I can.

Bowden's make a decent one, a product I used for many years, I then switched to Rags to Riches. RTR was co-developed between P&S and The Rag Company to deal with modern sealants and detailing chemicals. I've had this product rejuvenate older towels when I made the switch, convincing me of its worth. I also noticed it made the towels softer.

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/produc...icrofibre-wash
https://autobuff.com.au/products/p-s...s&_ss=e&_v=1.0

A few others to consider -

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...ber-towel-wash
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ca...39568686481497
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...el-kleen-3-78l
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...30220253298777
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/po...nt=28665598033
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 12:03 AM   #2959
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you say makes sense.

I think I have a few 'ruined' cloths that I have dedicated to be used to interior door trim cleaning etc.

I have. a few new ones that I recently bought and have not used yet. I might pick up some of the Bowden's stuff, only because it's locally available here, I actually saw it today and this is what made me ask the question.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-03-2024, 09:25 AM   #2960
stannoplan

Quote:
For those who like using NV EVO ceramic coating, Waxit have it on heavy discount at the moment, $99.95 down from $179.95, or 44% off RRP.
I grabbed some in the last sale thanks to a recommendation on here, thicker than CQuartz but after a few panels you get used to it. Ended up doing 3 small-mid size cars from 1 bottle easy. I found getting the flashing timing right took a bit and was dependant on the weather quite a bit, certainly not wipe off immediately like the instructions and even some high spots I missed wiped off fine after 10-15mins. Santo has some good videos to assist.

Only issue I had was bad water spotting on the bonnet, only on a black Polo, two times after about 8-10 days. Hot days, under a tree, quick shower and bam, Had a protective layer of Boost V1 first time then Boost V2 second time applied after 24 hours after buffing the spots out again. Other cars no problems in same situation. I might just buff off and use 303 Nano as that gets me 12 months easy. Any recommendation for a water spot remover would be great, CarPro Spotless 2.0 and Mirch Water Spot not doing anything even after varying methods and dwell times. Ended up using Orange pad and Essence.

Overall am happy and will get a another bottle. The self cleaning and shine is better than others that I have tried.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #2961
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannoplan View Post
I grabbed some in the last sale thanks to a recommendation on here, thicker than CQuartz but after a few panels you get used to it. Ended up doing 3 small-mid size cars from 1 bottle easy. I found getting the flashing timing right took a bit and was dependant on the weather quite a bit, certainly not wipe off immediately like the instructions and even some high spots I missed wiped off fine after 10-15mins. Santo has some good videos to assist.

Only issue I had was bad water spotting on the bonnet, only on a black Polo, two times after about 8-10 days. Hot days, under a tree, quick shower and bam, Had a protective layer of Boost V1 first time then Boost V2 second time applied after 24 hours after buffing the spots out again. Other cars no problems in same situation. I might just buff off and use 303 Nano as that gets me 12 months easy. Any recommendation for a water spot remover would be great, CarPro Spotless 2.0 and Mirch Water Spot not doing anything even after varying methods and dwell times. Ended up using Orange pad and Essence.

Overall am happy and will get a another bottle. The self cleaning and shine is better than others that I have tried.
The single most important thing with water spots is that you actually used the water spot remover. If you don't neutralize and remove the minerals that caused the water spot, then they will reappear later down the track as the panel heats up again. So you may not have noticed a visual difference after treatment, but you have in fact helped the situation.

I have had occasions where the simple use of a water spot remover has worked entirely in removing them, other times I have had to get the polisher out. As always, try the least aggressive method first, and in this situation that step is necessary for effective removal anyway, sometimes you get lucky and can stop there.

I also think its a good idea to go with the coating brands own mineral and water spot remover, these have been designed to work specifically with their coatings. In NV's case, that would be Shift.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...21302806478937

If you need to polish them out, sometimes you will get away with a very mild polish and leave the coating intact. Pad and product dependent though. As you touched on, something like Essence would be the starting point as this is an abrasive but will leave behind more Si02 in the process. NV used to sell a similar product, I seem to recall it being called Morph, but it disappeared a while ago now.

This is the best video I have found on this subject as it explains the how and why -

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #2962
stannoplan

Quote:
The single most important thing with water spots is that you actually used the water spot remover. If you don't neutralize and remove the minerals that caused the water spot, then they will reappear later down the track as the panel heats up again. So you may not have noticed a visual difference after treatment, but you have in fact helped the situation.
Well I finally got around to fixing the issue.

A couple of interesting things - I noticed the heat really brings the spots out last week, after a decon wash this time with the cooler weather they were barely visible. I redid the spot remover with Spotless and did more agitation which help even more. A quick blue pad and Essence with the residue wiped off with Detail Bliss gave a wonderful glossy result.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 20-03-2024, 06:43 PM   #2963
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannoplan View Post
Well I finally got around to fixing the issue.

A couple of interesting things - I noticed the heat really brings the spots out last week, after a decon wash this time with the cooler weather they were barely visible. I redid the spot remover with Spotless and did more agitation which help even more. A quick blue pad and Essence with the residue wiped off with Detail Bliss gave a wonderful glossy result.

Thanks for the advice.
Classic water spot.

With recurrent water spots that keep surfacing, I've seen where heating the panel up prior to polishing can help the situation. The idea being you are replicating the temps that were present when the water spot happened. I think that neutralizing the minerals with the appropriate chemical is the key step to preventing a reoccurring situation.
Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2024, 08:54 PM   #2964
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I really, really want one of these...............................

Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2024, 09:19 PM   #2965
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is there any stronger car wash on the market than Chemtech CT18/CT20? I've been having success using it on the shitbox fleet at work and my own shitbox fleet at home but curious to know if there's something even better for cleaning really dirty cars?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2024, 09:26 PM   #2966
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Is there any stronger car wash on the market than Chemtech CT18/CT20? I've been having success using it on the shitbox fleet at work and my own shitbox fleet at home but curious to know if there's something even better for cleaning really dirty cars?

https://shoplubricants.vivaenergy.co...000l-300012790

That or Imperial Leather
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2024, 09:40 PM   #2967
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I really, really want one of these...............................

You definately need it, then sell me one of your old ones haha
Old 20-03-2024, 09:41 PM   #2968
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
A quick look at CT-18 reveals the product is pH neutral, so in theory it's not as aggressive as you may have thought. In which case, something like NV Snow+, Carpro Lift or Gyeon Foam should offer you more cleaning power due to their elevated pH levels, all testing above pH 12 in my testing. Out of those, I find Lift has the edge.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...32379093712985
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...nt=17821163396
https://www.repco.com.au/car-care-pa...rch=q2m%20foam

(You can see Lift dissolving dirt under the wiper arm)

However, this would be a candidate for Bilt Hamber Touchless or Auto-Foam. Both are very high alkaline soaps that can do some serious cleaning without even touching the car. In this instance, you foam the product onto the surface allow it to soak WITHOUT drying (ask me how I know this is important), then rinse. These products remove most of what's on the surface so that when you do hand/contact wash, you're not trying to mow through so much dirt.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-touch-less-5l
https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...r-auto-foam-5l

I haven't yet tried Auto-foam as I'm led to believe it can leave a film behind that would require a hand wash afterwards, but I have used Touchless and I think its the one to go for. I tested this on a service loan car that was covered in bugs, mud and road spray. I foamed it on, left to soak, then pressure washed it off. I then hit it with some Gyeon Wet Coat, mainly to help blow dry. The finished result was remarkable, you would hardly know that not a single finger touched the vehicle.

I just wish I did proper before and after images of the above because the end result was remarkable.

From what I can gather, you wouldn't agitate/contact wash with those two soaps, especially if you are trying to preserve a wax or sealant, a ceramic coating would be fine though.

You could also look at Koch Chemie Active Foam or Super Foam, but they are very expensive.

https://autobuff.com.au/products/koc...aline-pre-wash
https://autobuff.com.au/products/koc...aline-pre-wash
Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2024, 09:58 PM   #2969
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
You definately need it, then sell me one of your old ones haha
You read my mind!

At the moment, I'm contemplating the thought of replacing both of my ShineMate battery machines. I have no issues with the 5-inch version, its been great and has transformed my polishing.

But I have the earlier 3-inch version which shares the same battery and body with the 5-inch, so its very bulky for the pad size and a little unbalanced. I would also like some more rpm headroom.

Replacing the 5-inch with that new Rupes is the logical choice, although it will have heavy "Rupes Tax" on it. Replacing the 3-inch is where I'm unsure. I'm not paying $1600 for the Mirka, even though its butter smooth.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...v-complete-kit

ShineMate have since added a slightly more compact 3-inch machine with a smaller battery that is more ergonomically orientated.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...40283314126937

Then there's the new EB210, which is a multifunction polisher, but I would prefer a dedicated 3-inch for the added headroom.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...40522590879833

The other option would be the Rupes HLR 75, or the "stiletto". But I'm not completely sold on it.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ru...40265909338201

But yeah, if you would like to buy the two ShineMates (inc 4 batteries and dual charger), let me know and I'll send them your way if/when the new Rupes lands.
Mustang GT

Old 27-03-2024, 06:57 PM   #2970
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Meguiar's Hyper Wash...................

The above is me caving into peer pressure after numerous Autogeek remembers were suggesting I take a look at Hyper Wash. I have resisted in the past due to the RRP it sells for in Australia and the ultra-thick consistency. This product is from the Pro Detailer line and features an ultra-concentrated 400:1 dilution ratio, which is similar to Carpro Reset.

I was actually told Hyper Wash is not pH neutral, being slightly elevated to provide superior cleaning in commercial applications. As a regular maintenance wash on a ceramic coating, it apparently prevents it from "clogging" and therefore not needing periodic high pH decon washes. However, my pH meter measured 7.68 in concentrate form, and 7.89 diluted. This is only ever so slightly above pH neutral, and actually lower when compared to NV Snow with a claimed pH of 7.0 and a measured value of 9.7.

First impressions, the consistency is not as thick as expected, the scent muted but pleasant.

I'm quite critical of Meguiar's approach to Australia. In the USA, the brand is all about value for money without compromising quality. Thing is, that doesn't translate in Australia...............unless on heavy discount. As such, I'm going to pick a Carpro or P&S product over a Meguiar's at full RRP.

In the case of Hyper Wash, a gallon (the only size) comes in at $94.99 RRP. The above bottle I got on eBay for $66 with free shipping. So why isn't it always at $66? At $95, I would rather only pay $75 for the excellent NV Snow.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: