Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Coming soon to a vehicle we might get??

There have been some interesting features and functions added to recent US Ford models, some of which may well find their way here either in an imported model or as additional technology in our existing cars. Amongst them are:

Hands-free Tailgate (2013 Escape)

There's nothing like hands-free access when your hands are full. You can avoid going through the hassle of searching for keys or stopping to put your packages down. With the available hands-free liftgate and Intelligent Access key on you, just kick your foot under the bumper and the power liftgate can automatically open, providing easy access to the cargo area.

Intelligent Access Key (Focus, Fiesta, Escape etc.)

Intelligent Access with push-button start streamlines the whole process of opening the door to your vehicle and starting the ignition. Simply have the key fob in a pocket or purse, or anywhere else on you. Once inside, press the brake pedal, hit the start button and you're good to go.

Multi-contour Seats (Fusion)

Who hasn't felt achy and fatigued after sitting in a car for a long time? Now, with available multi-contour front seats with Active Motion®, you don't have to. This system helps reduce muscle-fatigue in your legs and lower back by using a subtle rolling-pattern massage. For added comfort, the driver can customise the seven air chambers in the seat back and seat bottom.

Active Grille Shutters (Escape, Focus, Taurus)

Active Grille Shutters close to reduce the aerodynamic drag on the vehicle caused by air travelling through the radiator. This results in increased fuel efficiency. The shutters open only when the engine needs cooling. When closed aerodynamic drag is reduced by approximately 6%.

Trailer Sway Control (Escape, Explorer)

Trailer sway control feature works with AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC®), using the sensor that measures yaw motion to determine if the trailer is swaying. If necessary, trailer sway control applies precise asymmetric braking or adjusted engine torque to help bring both vehicle and trailer under control.

Blind Spot Monitoring System (Taurus, Explorer)

Ford offers cutting-edge technology in the available BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert to help make driving convenient. BLIS® is designed to use radar at the rear of the vehicle in the rear quarter panels to help detect a vehicle in a blind-spot zone. If a vehicle is detected, the system alerts you with a warning light in the appropriate side view mirror. Cross-traffic alert uses radar to detect vehicles approaching from the sides when you're slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway. When it detects vehicles approaching from up to 45 feet away, it sends an audible warning and a visual display in the corresponding mirror and a signal in the message centre.

Inflatable Rear Saferty Belts (Explorer)

A world-first in safety and comfort.
Introducing the world's first automotive production inflatable rear outboard safety belts. They're the latest evolution in safety and comfort from Ford. In the event of a frontal or side crash, the inflated belt is designed to deploy in less than the blink of an eye. Its unique design helps distribute crash force energy across more of the occupant's torso than a traditional belt, which helps reduce the risk of injury while providing support for the head and neck. After deployment, the belt remains inflated for several seconds before dispersing its air through the pores in the air-bag. Inflatable safety belts are compatible with child safety seats. Because inflatable belts are not as large as traditional front air-bags, they can fill at a lower pressure and at a slower rate. Ford research showed that more than 90 percent of people who tested the inflatable safety belts found them to be similar or more comfortable than a conventional belt because the belts feel padded and softer.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coming soon to a vehicle we might get??

I know it more than likely wont happen but it would be great to see some of this find its way into the falcon even if it was just to see if aus were ready to get this stuff if the falcon does not go past 2016

would be very interesting to see what the aus pubic think of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I test drove a Taurus SHO awhile back that had the Blind Spot Information System. Once I understood it, it was very useful, but if they would have designed the car without such a huge blind spot at the C pillar it wouldn't have been necessary.

All this high technology in new cars complicates them immensely, and quite often fails spectacularly. I prefer basic transportation with more-than-adequate power, but sadly I'm in a very small minority.
Old 29-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
I test drove a Taurus SHO awhile back that had the Blind Spot Information System. Once I understood it, it was very useful, but if they would have designed the car without such a huge blind spot at the C pillar it wouldn't have been necessary.

All this high technology in new cars complicates them immensely, and quite often fails spectacularly. I prefer basic transportation with more-than-adequate power, but sadly I'm in a very small minority.
yea all i care about is the car runs well and does the task required. it doesnt worry me too much if the car has fancy gizmos. I have a speed alert on both my AUs for example i very rarely use
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Territory has Trailer Sway control doesn't it?

Lukeyson
Old 29-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Pandemic

Wow, they sound like some great features. Definitely would mind seeing them features in Australia.
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm we are our own worst enemy when it comes to technology. Progression is great, but I feel the opposite happens for our responsibilities as a driver with additional "features".
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Falcon should get keyless start. Be a winner :-)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

That blind spot thing would drive me bonkers. The way I read and understood it, it will sound a note every time a car comes within 45 feet in your blind spot?

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Territory has Trailer Sway control doesn't it?

Lukeyson
No, Territory has Rollover Mitigation. Ranger has Trailer Sway Control which was developed into the vehicle by Ford Australia.

Active grille shutters already appeared here on the Fiesta Econetic but that model has been discontinued here. Expect to see BLIS, keyless entry and possibly adaptive headlamps for the E8 update in 2013/2014.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
That blind spot thing would drive me bonkers. The way I read and understood it, it will sound a note every time a car comes within 45 feet in your blind spot?
Think it's when the indicator has been turned on for whichever side.
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic
Think it's when the indicator has been turned on for whichever side.
Ah. Makes much more sense then.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cars that can drive themselves would be pretty cool!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
robertjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
cars that can drive themselves would be pretty cool!!
as long as David Hasselhoff does not come along for the ride.

Last edited by robertjp; 30-07-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are planning on heading to the US next year. Hiring a car for a short period. Wouldn't mind trying the fusion if its a available.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
No, Territory has Rollover Mitigation. Ranger has Trailer Sway Control which was developed into the vehicle by Ford Australia.
Ahh, yes, that's where I read it. Thx.

Lukeyson
Old 30-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Expect to see BLIS, keyless entry and possibly adaptive headlamps for the E8 update in 2013/2014.
To me it's just technology to be integrated. Not that big a deal. Not hard or expensive. Perhaps it's not?

Anyway. What good are these tech parts if FoA don't tell people it's got them? Not that they're needed anyway in my opinion. It's just more gizmo's which differentiate models for consumers, and give people that western world one-up-manship where they can compare their standing in society with others by how much useless technology their car has that others don't.

Except for the Kick-Boot system. That is truly useful.
Old 31-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While all the above listed technology sounds awesome I have a simple question ... why does the Falcon not have a simple Auto window up/down functionality??? I mean seriously its stuff from the 80s ...

I think Ford needs to implement the basics into the Falcon first before try to cram some of the more fancy stuff ... front sensors would be good too ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
While all the above listed technology sounds awesome I have a simple question ... why does the Falcon not have a simple Auto window up/down functionality??? I mean seriously its stuff from the 80s ...

I think Ford needs to implement the basics into the Falcon first before try to cram some of the more fancy stuff ... front sensors would be good too ...
Auto down since at least AU. But no auto up is annoying. And I've heard the complaints also.

It boils down to the boffins at Ford deeming in unnecessary. I guess you have to be at the brainstorming sessions at FoA skunk works to understand the logic behind it.
Old 31-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel bad for our G6E when I hop in a plain old base model Toyota Prado at work and realise it has auto up and down on all electric windows and keyless start (just the like the one described above where you unlock the car and then just have the fob anywhere...press the brake and push the button once and release and it starts).

Come on Ford Oz...a "premium" car deserves simple things like that which are standard fitment in even the cheapest and tinniest Korean and Indian made cars...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

If I'm going to buy a top of the range vehicle I expect to get what I pay for.
Old 31-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is all this flash gear arriving before or after xenons for Falcons/Territory's
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cross-traffic alert uses radar to detect vehicles approaching from the sides when you're slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway. When it detects vehicles approaching from up to 45 feet away, it sends an audible warning and a visual display in the corresponding mirror and a signal in the message centre.
needed because when you park front-in, someone in a big 4wd always parks next to you.
Old 31-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There's certainly lots of great technology which has handy real-world application available in the Ford world.

I suspect that the first imported "Falcon" or whatever they call it will be packed with the stuff, just to ram home how wonderful the imported model will be.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Rodge
Banned

The multi contour seats in the Fusion sound great.
We know Ford Au have made an investment that will allow them to fit adaptive cruise and blind spot assist so it looks like that technology is coming to the 2014 Falcon, both of those things will be welcome updates.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Ford system already available on Mondeo in Australia. Just lights a LED in the wing mirror coressponding to the side of the vehicle that has a vehicle in your true blind spot - just behind your car.

Not intrusive at all and very useful.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Blind spot indicator hey? All I do is actually look at my blind spot before merging.
Old 31-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
Blind spot indicator hey? All I do is actually look at my blind spot before merging.
Isn't a blind spot where you can't see?

Intelligent access - thats something the FG Falcon should have had when the FG2 came or even earlier, would've helped sales.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 31-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford Australia was working on a seatbelt airbag for Falcon / Territory.... Not sure where they got to with it.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
[COLOR=Blue]Inflatable Rear Saferty Belts (Explorer)
Every night I dream of my car having rear "saferty" belts!
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post