Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Default Automotive Components limted goes into liquidation

Stolen from ninemsn.

Quote:
Car parts firm closes, 300 lose jobs
Tuesday Feb 12 14:02 AEDT
Australia's largest car parts distributor has gone into liquidation, putting 300 people out of work.

Staff at National Parts plants in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Newcastle were told the company was performing too poorly to continue trading and could no longer offer employment.

The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Automotive Components Limited (ACL) and employs 300 staff around Australia.

Liquidator KordaMentha issued a statement saying the administrators had no choice but to cease trading.

"The viability of the company has been fatally wounded by high operating costs, a general economic tightening and continued decline in the parts industry," KordaMentha spokesman Craig Shepard said.

SCL chairman and chief executive Ivan James said "external economic conditions and a general decline in the car parts industry have become too much".

"I would like to thank all employees for their efforts to try to avoid this unfortunate outcome ..." Mr James said in the statement.

"In the end, we were obliged to call in administrators who fulfilled their statutory obligations and decided to close the company down.

"The administrators have committed to providing all possible help for the employees to receive their entitlements."

The company's assets, including six distribution centres and the nationwide network of AutoPro retail stores, will be advertised for sale on Wednesday.

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union told AAP it had sent a delegate to the Sydney premises of National Parts and will be releasing a statement later.
Whats going on with the aussie auto industry

hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

They are only really an importer/reseller.They don't manufacture anything as far as I'm aware.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

I may be missing something here, but that reads as National Parts is broke, not the parent company ACL.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That would explain why my local AutoPro store was changed to Parts4 branding a week ago.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if its acl as awhole then cheap rebuild kits will be on offer! if its only national parts then oh well! i do feel sorry for any staff that are losing their jobs a result of this now with interest rates going up a4nd the cost of living rising and rising.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I am devastated, just bought land and intented on starting an Auto parts store and I was only weeks away from making contact with National Parts/Autopro to get things rolling. We have a REPCO in town but that is all and there is a good opportunity for this type of business.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Real shame, ive bought parts from them. A family friend was one to lose his job so very unfortunate to happen!
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

so is this autopro that has gone under might have to go for a drive then theres one round the cnr from me see if its change names

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
EA2BA
PM me if you want

My wife lost her job today as well.

Yes it was just National Parts, ACL and Nasons are still 100% trading.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
02BAGhia
Starter Motor

its definately not good... looks like a lot of parts stores are going to be affected!
02BAGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to hear jason

the stores here in geelong changed their name a couple of weeks ago as well

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the pricing was anything to go by at the local supercheap stores spare parts counter..
National Parts was always the most expensive place to buy from
but their turnaround was faster (4 deliverys a day instead of the 2 a day other companys had etc)

thats if i havnt got my wires crossed somewhere with what my mate was showing me
Old 13-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Bad news.

I always found national parts to be cheapest with most spares, well the stores who used them. Gets pretty limited without them, Bursons and Repco not exactly a world of choice.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

National Parts were good for parts,prices, delivery, it is said to see it happen and to all the employees
Old 13-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
partzkid

yeah, my parts guy is gonna be affected pretty bad by this, national parts was his main supplier. it has been coming for a little while now. one of their suppliers told me that they haven't ordered their monthly order since november. alot of small parts shops are going to be rooted by this, espically (spelling) autopro stores, i guess there will be alot of good parts people going around for a while. shame to hear. if ACL goes under then thats the start of the end of local parts manufacturing alltogether. i've always been able to get my stuff cheaper through nationals than anyone else. where else can you get a jap made water pump for 35 bucks?

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Bad news and sorry to all on here who are affected by it in one way or another. Sad reality is that with all the recent automotive closures and now this, the tip of the iceberg has barely been scratched. EA2BA and Wife, Chin up guys, one door closes, another one opens. All the best.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post