Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Falcon 50th Anniversary Seats Win Design Accolade

The Ford Falcon 50th Anniversary edition has starred at the coveted 2010 Melbourne Design Awards.

The high-quality leather detailed seats in the special anniversary Falcon won the professional division in the Product Design – Automotive and Transport category of the 2010 Melbourne Design Awards.
"It's a significant achievement for our talented design team to have won against such a high-calibre of entrants," Ford's Melbourne-based Asia, Pacific and Africa Design Director, Chris Svensson, said.

Under Svensson's supervision the project brief for the Falcon's 50th Anniversary seats was to create a premium seat that captured the imagination of customers befitting a true collectors' edition. The Falcon is the longest running motoring nameplate in the country.
The 50th Anniversary seat project team included Ford Colour and Materials Design Manager, Emily Lai, along with fellow designers Antonia Trinchi, Marisa Marazita and Nick Eterovic.
Lai said Falcon's high-grade leather detailed seat not only had to look good but had to stand the test of time, both physically and visually.
"We also had to take into consideration important safety, volume manufacturing and cost parameters for the seat design," she said. "We also employed a new strategy of embossing as well as unique sew styles to alter the proportions, look and character of the seats.
"Importantly, there is a strong connection to our brand as well."
Svensson said that from a marketing point-of-view the 50th Anniversary seat design had to appeal to traditional Falcon customers but also attract potential buyers not yet connected to the brand.

Apart from the Falcon's 50th Anniversary seats, the rugged Australian-designed and engineered next-generation Ranger pickup was a finalist in the Product Design – Automotive and Transport category.
Ford's APA Research Centre was among several leading design studios to feature in this year's awards.
170 of Melbourne’s leading design commissioners, creators and followers were on hand to welcome the 2010 Melbourne Design Award recipients this month, as voted for by Melbourne and Australia’s own Design Community.

Awards were presented in the design categories involving Space, Visual, Object, Fashion and Experiences.
Award winners were presented with two trophies, recognising the important contribution of not only the designers and creators but also the project commissioners.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Ford Falcon 50th Anniversary Seats Win Design Accolade

I have not as yet sat in a 50th anniversary. But one couldn't complain about a seat that's won awards surely.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Ohhh Im sure there will be complaints, wrong color, wrong number of cylinders, seats use the wrong fuel, leather isnt renewable etc etc
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Anyone got pics?
Old 18-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Barnaby

I posted pics of the brochure here a while back

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...66#post3495166
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Is the leather thicker on the common wear and tear spots?
Old 18-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
newi

YEP!! My XR50T seats are the most comfortable seats I have EVER sat in. Everyone comments on them too.... Even more comfy than Dads new C class Merc.
newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Buntz
Straight Eight

Another to tease Holden fans with. "My seats have won awards... your's aren't worthy of farting on."

:p
Old 18-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish FPV would pick these up for the GS. They are an impressive and comfortable seat. I think the XR50th was the best all round Falcon ever made and excellent value too.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

So apart from the leather seat trim, is there anything different about the actual seat?? (bolsters etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dags41v
Ohhh Im sure there will be complaints, wrong color, wrong number of cylinders, seats use the wrong fuel, leather isnt renewable etc etc
Don't forget the lack of a 10 tonne towing capacity, no bigger engine, no double xenon automatic headlamps with active computer torque assist and if you're drive.com.au, curtain airbags

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I'd be soo tempted to get a set of XR50 seats and mod them to suit the EF rails... they look very nice

and well done to Ford for another excellent design!
Old 19-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #13
Odyssey
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Another to tease Holden fans with. "My seats have won awards... your's aren't worthy of farting on."
I dunno, just bought a 50th anniversary XR6T (pick it up Monday) but from the test drive the seats are not a patch on those in my E2 HSV Senator. Yes, they are comfortable but lack the base and side bolsters of the HSVs which feel far more sporting. The impression I got was that the Falcon ones were designed for much larger **** sizes.
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Lai said Falcon's high-grade leather detailed seat not only had to look good but had to stand the test of time, both physically and visually.
Hah that's surprising seeing the bolsters and back are "leatherette" and not even real leather. IMO the leather is horribly cheap feeling on them but they do look ok overall.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
srmt25
Starter Motor

Just took delivery of my 50th XR6 with the cloth insert and leather edges and can I say for someone who is short and with a back issues, these seats are sooooo comfy.
srmt25 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey
I dunno, just bought a 50th anniversary XR6T (pick it up Monday) but from the test drive the seats are not a patch on those in my E2 HSV Senator. Yes, they are comfortable but lack the base and side bolsters of the HSVs which feel far more sporting. The impression I got was that the Falcon ones were designed for much larger **** sizes.
Well, uhh, that is because you have a HSV with HSV seats in it and the XR has lower spec seats? Put FPV seats in the XR and then compare.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmt25
Just took delivery of my 50th XR6 with the cloth insert and leather edges and can I say for someone who is short and with a back issues, these seats are sooooo comfy.
They are comfy. During a period of uncertainty whilst waiting on delivery of my XR50 N/A (due to dealer issues), I tried out both the XR50T and XR50 N/A seats jumping out of one then into the other and back again, and thought the N/A partial leather seats were softer and more comfy.

So which seat won the award, the partial leather as in the N/A, full leather Turbo one as pictured, or both?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

So which seat won the award, the partial leather as in the N/A, full leather Turbo one as pictured, or both?
I think you may find that the seat pictured is actually the 50th anniversary G series seat. The XR's have a different design to them.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 02:01 AM   #19
1TUFFUTE
Banned

hey numg heads...its not just comfortability that they award for if you want to bag the seats. Its design longegevity and cost among other things
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
I think you may find that the seat pictured is actually the 50th anniversary G series seat. The XR's have a different design to them.
Hmm yes, thought it looked a bit different . I've never seen a G series anniversary seat, nor had the G50th sales brochure as it was separate to the XR50 sales brochure, so is that the variant that won the award?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
hey numg heads...its not just comfortability that they award for if you want to bag the seats. Its design longegevity and cost among other things
I think we were only commenting on one of the two obvious criteria, the other is how it looks. I'm sure there were more criteria which the seats were judged on.
Reminds me of a story regarding selection of new airline seats years ago, the big cigar smoking owner completely disregarded the report that a fellow engineer took 12 months to prepare, jumped on all the seats and said "that one". The airline doesnt exist anymore.

As far as longevity is concerned. lets hope they do last better than the existing FG seats. The standard XR seats don't seem to be fairing too well regarding RH bolster and seat frame.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
SSV Redline
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Ford Falcon 50th Anniversary Seats Win Design Accolade

Congrats to the 50th Anniversary seat project team which included Ford Colour and Materials Design Manager, Emily Lai and designers Antonia Trinchi, Marisa Marazita and Nick Eterovic.

(Cant say Ford isn't multicultural)

A win for Ford Australia is a win for Australian car manfacturers and designers.

My dad owned a MarkII Jag in the late 60's and I dont think any seat I have sat in since then has ever been as comfortable as those where, but that was a long long time ago. What's important is Ford has taken home the trophy and that knowledge will eventually flow down to all the home made models in the future. Kuedos Ford.
SSV Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
Bobman
Regulator

Leather is very over-rated and not a good material for Australia. Has anyone actually had a leather interior that didn't burn them in summer?

As for materials - I don't think Ford provides a stress-free environment for the cattle as BMW does; who then provide quality leather.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have leather Bobman, yeah they do get a bit hot , but i think they are still better than vinyl, and its pretty soft, the 50th anniversary seats look a bit of allright, would`nt mind having them.............. with a new henry attached to them
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yep ive had new leather seats in my falcon but also had very dark tint...was fine 90% of the time
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Leather is very over-rated and not a good material for Australia. Has anyone actually had a leather interior that didn't burn them in summer?

As for materials - I don't think Ford provides a stress-free environment for the cattle as BMW does; who then provide quality leather.
Since stopping my naked driving I don't notice anymore
Old 28-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the leather seats in our 50th Anniversary G6E...but I will say that I must be taking some time to get used to the seat, as on any trip over a couple of hours, I start to get a "cut off circulation" feeling in my right hip. I've tried sitting slightly differently, not sure what's going on. Must just be getting accustomed to the slightly smaller seat as opposed to the great huge armchairs in the 100 series Landcruiser we traded on it.

I do agree though that leather...especially black leather...isn't really facing the realities of Australia. Several times we've hopped back into the Falcon and almost recieved third degree burns from the black leather. The dark window tinting we've got and a windscreen sunshade don't help much either...
I'd like to see a well designed dark cloth seat of some kind...surely modern materials would mean it wouldn't wear through in a couple of years like old ones sometimes did...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post