Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Exclamation Motorised Esky Illegal?

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news...ebud-west.html

Quote:
Hastings Highway Patrol members have seen it all now after impounding a motorised esky in Rosebud Westtonight.

The 29-year-old Rosebud west man was intercepted on the footpath beside Point Nepean Road.

Police spotted the 49cc esky just after 5pm and after speaking to the driver it was revealed he did not have a license to drive an esky or any other vehicle.

The man was issued with two infringement notices totalling a very uncool $1476.

The esky has been impounded for 30 days under the local council laws in relation to the use of unregistered recreational vehicles on council land.
Speechless. Where does one obtain a license to drive a motorised esky? And what next? Police impound a radio controlled car on a footpath and fine the kid remote controlling it had no license? And since when did Highway Patrol become Footpath Patrol. Waiting for the day when Highway Patrol tries to play Airway Patrol and impounds a $100 RC Aircraft and fines the operator for not having a Pilot's license.. And to post it up proudly on their website like they are doing the community a favour? Come on.
Old 18-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Motorised Esky Illegal?

Just because you're on the sidewalk doesn't mean you are impervious to police.
7 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Then why aren't they pinging all the fat, old and lazy for driving gophers up and down footpaths, often with reckless disregard for anyone elso in their path?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Then why aren't they pinging all the fat, old and lazy for driving gophers up and down footpaths, often with reckless disregard for anyone elso in their path?
Maybe because its legal to drive a mobility scooter on the sidewalk?

Last time I checked it wasn't legal to ride a 49cc bike or in this case motorised esky on the sidewalk, its also illegal for a kid over 12 years old to ride their pushbike on the sidewalk as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I hope one of them one day will run you over for insulting them.......

Seriously most are electric & exempt!
Old 18-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a big fine.................did the driver/rider blow over the limit also.

Cheers Mick
Old 18-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news...ebud-west.html

Speechless. Where does one obtain a license to drive a motorised esky? And what next? Police impound a radio controlled car on a footpath and fine the kid remote controlling it had no license? And since when did Highway Patrol become Footpath Patrol. Waiting for the day when Highway Patrol tries to play Airway Patrol and impounds a $100 RC Aircraft and fines the operator for not having a Pilot's license.. And to post it up proudly on their website like they are doing the community a favour? Come on.
MM: Like a lot of the laws and regulations, mostly they're needed in order to protect stupid people from themselves. Old maté's motorised esky was fitted with a 49cc motor, so depending on it's power output it more than likely fits the definition of a motor vehicle and hence, the unlicenced driving charge.

Generally speaking, building line to building line is a road related area under the legislation. Otherwise you'd have drunken clowns thinking it was clever to drive their cars along the footpath on their way home from the pub.

Cheers,

Russ
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by big damo View Post
maybe because its legal to drive a mobility scooter on the sidewalk?
Sidewalk ??
Old 18-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I was using my rc car on the road and footpath and cops were called,came out and were about to shoot me with tazers after i told them they were wasting taxpayers dollars and had a go at them,its a toy ffs.
They also refused to step into range of my security cameras...
I am a bigger than average guy so i had my hands clasped behind my back the whole time...
I reported the incident to police,apparently they were called out for a noise complaint and also threatned to charge me for driving an unlicensed vehicle on the road(another charge) and you cant do that so the coppers at the station told me.
I can enjoy my hobby of choice for up to 2 hours per day by council law(mainly for musical instrumante etc)
My neighbours are bastards.
The nitro car is not even as loud as a whipper snipper.
I abused the coppers for being so crap at their job so they drove over the wooden edging i had along my driveway and broke it all(on purpose of course)
Ive had someone trying to kick my door down and the cops refused to come out...
Priorities ffs
Im not in any way saying gosnells coppers are crap,just the 2 guys that day,most ive dealt with have been awesome.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

.. and unfortunately driving such vehicles often goes with excess drinking and other behaviour that impairs judgement and safety. At least the cops can usually catch the esky drivers unlike the unhelmeted underage and sometimes seemingly drunk offroad motorcyclist that sometimes terrorise the neighbourhood.
Old 18-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scooters are speed limited for footpath safety, these small motorised bikes, quads, eskies are ILLEGAL to operate on public roads I live adjacent a park, and these clowns often do speeds of up to 50pkh, tell me what that impact will do to a child, the infirm or even an able bodied person. When its YOUR loved one at risk you would cry for blood from the drunken esky rider rather than blame the over bearing police.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Scooters are speed limited for footpath safety,

You got to be joking speed limited, I've seen a few that can scoot along at reasonable speed!!!
Old 18-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
I was using my rc car on the road and footpath and cops were called,came out and were about to shoot me with tazers after i told them they were wasting taxpayers dollars and had a go at them,its a toy ffs.
They also refused to step into range of my security cameras...
I am a bigger than average guy so i had my hands clasped behind my back the whole time...
I reported the incident to police,apparently they were called out for a noise complaint and also threatned to charge me for driving an unlicensed vehicle on the road(another charge) and you cant do that so the coppers at the station told me.
I can enjoy my hobby of choice for up to 2 hours per day by council law(mainly for musical instrumante etc)
My neighbours are bastards.
The nitro car is not even as loud as a whipper snipper.
I abused the coppers for being so crap at their job so they drove over the wooden edging i had along my driveway and broke it all(on purpose of course)
Ive had someone trying to kick my door down and the cops refused to come out...
Priorities ffs
Im not in any way saying gosnells coppers are crap,just the 2 guys that day,most ive dealt with have been awesome.
Off topic for a sec,

So you're bigger than the average bloke, kept your hands hidden behind your back and was aggressive/abusive in your speech towards them? Yeah, I wonder why that didn't really go your way?

Also, when you say they were going to taser you - were they drawn and pointing at you? If they were holstered then they probably weren't going to taser you.

And another thing - when they 'refused' to come to your house when someone was kicking your door in; what was the reason provided? Or did they just arrive later than you'd hope/needed?

I know you say that most cops you deal with are awesome, but I think this post was a solid, 1 sided cop bashing post.
Old 18-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
cram_it_frog
wombat

I was speaking to a police officer in Perth few years back in Armidale Perth

a number of local kids put small motors on there push bikes and were wizzing around on them

I asked how legal is that he relied yes things like that are but many grind the engine information off of them and then it costs a fortune to get it tested and worked out what cc so we just let it go

so many be that is the way to go grind all information away so they cannot say what engine size

what about the guy in Alice springs lost his license for DD and came into town on a camel and got done for DD again
or

these guys who put a motor into a lounge chair and tear down the road that looks like a lot of fun till you hit some thing

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
Old 18-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Maybe because its legal to drive a mobility scooter on the sidewalk?

Last time I checked it wasn't legal to ride a 49cc bike or in this case motorised esky on the sidewalk, its also illegal for a kid over 12 years old to ride their pushbike on the sidewalk as well.
Damo, the rule is any power source over 200w is considered a motor vehicle, it has nothing to do with engine size. You can put a little engine on your push bike as long as it's less than 200w. There are plenty of bikes getting around with electric motors, in their front hub usually, that are perfectly legal, same for petrol powered units. 200w or less=legal.

But since when is it the cops job to enforce council by-laws?

If the engine was over 200w, (which it probably was) then you go for unreg/uninsured vehicle + driving unlicenced, as he was unlicenced anyway, so I can see the fine being a big one if he was suspended.

Fine him, yep, no problem. Cart him off for DUI, if that's the case, yep, no problem there, but impounding the esky citing a council by-law seems a bit much to me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 18-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

I found the fact they called a flat bed to tow it rather entertaining.. Hahahaha.. Surely it would have fit in the back of the divvy..
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
Falcojimmy

So often in these cases you don't get the full story. How fast was he actually going? Was there traffic in the vicinity? Was he intoxicated? Was he scooting around in an unsafe manner? Did he have a helmet on? What was his attitude like towards the police when stopped? If any of the above were a factor alongside the lack of licence (quite likely) then I think a decent fine is warranted. Mini bikes were a scourge late at night around our area waking people up until one ended up having a head on with a bf ute! They are fun things, but like everything there is a time and a place for them and public roads isn't really it!
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Sidewalk ??
well down here in the good ol U.S.a..straylia
yeah iv read some post that cant spell colour (color) and I'm crap for spelling..
and that's saying something...

"FOOTPATH"
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank god they got him, imagine the carnage...

nanny anyone?
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Sidewalk ??
Usually made of concrete between a nature strip and someones driveway where people walk on.

Sometimes can be dirt, sometimes there isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
well down here in the good ol U.S.a..straylia
yeah iv read some post that cant spell colour (color) and I'm crap for spelling..
and that's saying something...

"FOOTPATH"
Who cares, we're on a forum dedicated an American born and owned car manufactuer and we're complaining about using American terminology, this ain't Falcon Forums this is Ford Forums.

Its all English anyway regardless of your extra U in words or the Z instead of an S

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2015 at 08:00 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Scooters are speed limited for footpath safety, these small motorised bikes, quads, eskies are ILLEGAL to operate on public roads I live adjacent a park, and these clowns often do speeds of up to 50pkh, tell me what that impact will do to a child, the infirm or even an able bodied person. When its YOUR loved one at risk you would cry for blood from the drunken esky rider rather than blame the over bearing police.

and unregistered; so no 3rd party insurance to cover the medical costs of the innocent victims.

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-01-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 18-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its all English anyway regardless of your extra U in words or the Z instead of an S
Wrong, we speak English, they speak 'murrican
Old 18-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

In terms of remote control cars on footpaths and in parks they are usually covered by council bylaws along the lines of:

Quote:
48. Toy Vehicles and Bicycles

48.1 A person must not in a public area:
(a) use, place or leave a toy vehicle or bicycle in such a manner as to interfere with the passage of or cause annoyance or danger to any person on or using the public area; or

(b) use a toy vehicle in an area designated by Council resolution for the specific purpose of use by toy vehicles.
Penalty: Ten (10) penalty units.

48.2 If the Council or an authorised officer is of the opinion that there is or has been a breach of clauses 48.1 and 48.2, it, he or she may serve a Notice to Comply under clause 77 of part 26 or the person apparently in breach of clauses 48.1 and 48.2.

snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toy Vehicle means:

(a) A vehicle designed to be propelled by human power and includes a scooter, skate board, roller skates, roller blades and like toys; and
(b) A remote control aeroplane or vehicle.
See http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/.../Lo...poses_2012.pdf etc

Admittedly neither the Gosnells http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/About_...aws/Local_Laws or Armadale Council http://www.armadale.wa.gov.au/Home/P...blic_Documents. appear to have such bylaws. But the police always have that all covering "causing public nuisance" and "disturbing the peace" out.
Old 18-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #24
Deo

Also happened in Adelaide two weeks ago.
http://ab.co/1BDqwQX

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 18-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #25
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who cares, we're on a forum dedicated an American born and owned car manufactuer and we're complaining about using American terminology, this ain't Falcon Forums this is Ford Forums.
The Australian Ford Forum so I would say footpath.
Old 18-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #26
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They also had it taken away on a tilt tray.And they wonder why people don't respect the police any more....
Old 18-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
The Australian Ford Forum so I would say footpath.
Still American company
Old 18-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #28
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sidewalk ??
At all costs we must resist the relentless Americanisation (see how I used an 's' and not a 'z') of our culture.

There is no 'junk time' in AFL.

Free drinks as a result of poor service or delay are not 'comped'.

Cakes do not have 'frosting'.

Floor mounted manual transmission mechanisms are never 'stick shift'.

There is no 'fat side' of a footy oval.

I'm not sure driving motorised eskyies is a good idea, but.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #29
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcojimmy View Post
So often in these cases you don't get the full story. How fast was he actually going? Was there traffic in the vicinity? Was he intoxicated? Was he scooting around in an unsafe manner? Did he have a helmet on? What was his attitude like towards the police when stopped? If any of the above were a factor alongside the lack of licence (quite likely) then I think a decent fine is warranted. Mini bikes were a scourge late at night around our area waking people up until one ended up having a head on with a bf ute! They are fun things, but like everything there is a time and a place for them and public roads isn't really it!
I think you are right and would hope that in situations like this they are allowed to used a bit of discretion and maybe a formal warning would suffice. The neighbours said he has been going up and down for days so one would assume he was a bit (as I am) ignorant of the law regarding these things. Not a good look for public relations.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #30
Lunch
Wait, what?

Motorised eskyies are just the tip of the ice burg

Quote:
DUMB LAWS IN AUSTRALIA.

Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.

It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.

A life sentence is 25 years. (Repealed)

You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach.

Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.

Until the Port Arthur Killings it was legal to own an AK-47 but not legal to be gay.

You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.

It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burgular.

It is illegal to walk on the right hand side of a footpath.

Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, a modem can’t pick up on the first ring.

Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.

Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.

The legal age for straight sex is 16, unless the person is in the care/custody of the older person, in which case it is 18.

Lawmakers are proposing a new law that will not allow anyone to come closer than 100 meters from a dead whale’s carcass.
Closed Thread