Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: How's the weather?

I think the area’s poor soil/subsoil is harder for trees to get a grip into, then they are forced upwards by needing light from overshadowing buildings, the built structures also channel/deflect breezes. Less buildings and more thickets of trees would be the ideal - but it won’t happen. Limb drop from redgums and bluegums seems to happen more after heavy pruning (large limbs, back to the trunk) in hot summers, I can’t quite work out the correlation but have seen it happen enough times.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2024, 06:08 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I think the area’s poor soil/subsoil is harder for trees to get a grip into, then they are forced upwards by needing light from overshadowing buildings, the built structures also channel/deflect breezes. Less buildings and more thickets of trees would be the ideal - but it won’t happen. Limb drop from redgums and bluegums seems to happen more after heavy pruning (large limbs, back to the trunk) in hot summers, I can’t quite work out the correlation but have seen it happen enough times.
The 5 large river reds at my place are more likely to drop limbs towards the end of summer without the wind. The trees soak up most of the moisture in the soil over the first part of the season.
When its wetter than normal the trees are good but after continually hot, dry conditions they will drop.

That's why up along the NSW coastline over Summer with the regular rainfall, cutting grass happens more often with no leaves on the ground, whereas its the opposite here, the heat tells the trees to take all the water and shed bark and leaves. The ground is left with no grass because of this, so I'm left with picking up leaves and not having to cut grass in Summer.

$ydney's sandstone layering should allow plenty of bite for tree roots to hook into but being sedimentary rock, it will easily part under high wind stress due to the cities well known southerly busters particularly along that funnel strip of Pittwater. Sailing in that body of water can be super sketchy at times.

Last edited by roKWiz; 08-05-2024 at 06:33 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2024, 06:42 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s typically late December here. 35°+ day, no afternoon breeze then at about 4:30-7PM (DST) “CRAAACK!”…
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2024, 08:39 AM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s typically late December here. 35°+ day, no afternoon breeze then at about 4:30-7PM (DST) “CRAAACK!”…
I had to get used to the hot "Summer" days moving from late Oct !! to December in country NSW to country Victoria's hot Summer from Feb to the end of March.

NSW Upper Hunter in October can be brutal working outside.

There's a reason why we head for NSW after it's Summer and before the Vic one truly begins.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: