Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Whirlpool Forum sued

www.whirlpool.net.au (or various news sites such as www.news.com.au etc) for information

The forum community is rallying behind them due to the implications this lawsuit could contain for all online forums in Australia.

Thought it might be of interest to some of you, and others here might already be members of Whirlpool also (as it has nearly 190,000 registered users).

( although if you want to read the forum responses on the issue - get a comfortable chair and a coffee - you'll need it :P )

note: sorry if this is a repost - I couldn't see it anywhere yet...

Last edited by Deadman; 12-09-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Default What a load.

http://www.idm.net.au/story.asp?id=8788

Last time I checked, we had freedom of speech and were allowed opinions. If people are complaining about your service, then obviously theres something wrong. What the hell.
Old 14-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Read about this before

Sad thing is in Australia theyre is no right to freedom of speech, association whatever in the constitution only religion.

Our constitution is so out of date its not funny, they devote sections to who controls lighthouses but no right to freedom of speech. The best we've got is an implied decision by the highcourt which of course changes depending on who is on the high court.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
3vXT

I think they are ****ed off because they posted on the forum numerous times offering help to people who were having problems with their product. I think its bullshit though, if they spent their time fixing their mistakes rather than trying to cover them up they wouldn't have people craping on their products.

EDIT: It's nothing new and regardless of the outcome, it won't change much. How many times have you read someone on here or other forums, saying how bad the service/products are from an unknown company with a 'PM me for company name' at the end
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to slander. While I think that particular case is a little over the top, imagine that was your business and you felt it was being impacted unfairly by a large forum renound for getting its panties in a bunch. Would you be chanting freedom of speech then...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Couple of years ago , one of the car forums (Aussie) got "shut down" because of a comment in one of the posts on their site , the member threatened to sue the guy's running the site .

Forget the full details now , main thing I remember he threatened to "Sue for Defamation" against the owners of the site .

I only saw a copy of the post , nothing I could see wrong with it , it was something that you " had to be in the know" (which 99% weren't)

I think we're worse than the US now , People getting sued for being Honest .

If the Company in question wanted better reports "fix the problem"

RodP
yea mate , I can see your point , it's a very fine line these day's between "freedom of speech & slander" , you've got to be very careful all depends how a statement is worded .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"

Last edited by normxb; 14-09-2007 at 06:43 PM.
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Certainly is a different way to send your product to the bottom of pile for user recommendations
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to slander. While I think that particular case is a little over the top, imagine that was your business and you felt it was being impacted unfairly by a large forum renound for getting its panties in a bunch. Would you be chanting freedom of speech then...?
Slander is something that isn't true, if someone doesn't like the service they provide, they have the right to complain.
Old 14-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

they wont win the media will drown them out
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

This court case won't help them with sales either...

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

This is a very serious situation that *all* website forum operators need to comprehend, as indeed do ALL members of any forum.

If restriction on discussion succeeds at court outcome, the impact will be felt across all forms of media. We stand to lose the individual ability to criticise a product, item or company, as discussion on these matters will be eliminated, or reduced to the point of ineffectiveness.

The olde saying applies - "Freedom is not hereditary". Beware those who seek to restrict freedom.

Our Constitution is one of implied rights, and really in the modern context, its not that hard to eliminate relative freedoms.

If you can contribute to Whirlpools fighting fund, do so is my suggestion.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/whirl...276778252.html
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

If someone does not like a product, surely it would be more constructive to contact the customer and find out what is wrong with it, rather than suing everyone who complains. Whirlpool will be about as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue if they continue with this action.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
If someone does not like a product, surely it would be more constructive to contact the customer and find out what is wrong with it, rather than suing everyone who complains. Whirlpool will be about as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue if they continue with this action.
I don't think you read it right, or im not reading what you wrote right.
Old 15-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this legal action is a bloody disgrace.

Online forums are places to discuss many different things...good or bad. If bad, as long as it is constructive, it can be viewed as beneficial to all people.

If a product is inferior, why shouldn't consumers be allowed to state their disappointment in the product, rather than be forced to settle with something that does not meet their expectations.

If this case goes against Whirlpool, I'm moving to Cuba.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Slander is something that isn't true, if someone doesn't like the service they provide, they have the right to complain.
So do you consider the posts being made on Whirlpool a fair representation of the product? Considering you appear to chastise the company taking action, you must believe that the statements being made are true.

It's one thing to complain, it's another thing to lambast a product on a high volume public forum.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
This is a very serious situation that *all* website forum operators need to comprehend, as indeed do ALL members of any forum.

If restriction on discussion succeeds at court outcome, the impact will be felt across all forms of media. We stand to lose the individual ability to criticise a product, item or company, as discussion on these matters will be eliminated, or reduced to the point of ineffectiveness.

The olde saying applies - "Freedom is not hereditary". Beware those who seek to restrict freedom.

Our Constitution is one of implied rights, and really in the modern context, its not that hard to eliminate relative freedoms.

If you can contribute to Whirlpools fighting fund, do so is my suggestion.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/whirl...276778252.html
I agree with this.
If you want to support our rights to discuss openly and honestly our experiences with products and companies for the benefit of all then jump onto the Whirlpool forums and give your vocal and/or monetary support.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

if we lose the right to complain bout a product or company on a open media, how is anyone going to know what brand/products to buy, quite offen i will come on to a one of these forum to find out what everyone experiences are with a product i am looking at buying if i can not find out this, i may buy an infieror product.
if they do sucessfully sue whirlpool when then say goodbye to most media, car mags for one they show the good and bad bits of a car, so no more bad stuff about the car,

ie "new whatever" pros - great interior, smooth to drive etc etc, cons engine blows up after 100000kms
you wouldnt never find this out till you were in that postion.
If a company doesnt get bad pubilcy do you think they will fix the problem. highly unlikely, whats one person going to do, they will still sell x amount of items tomorrow.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AAP Reuter) 2nd October 2012:

Ford Australia have commenced legal action today in the high court seeking damages of 1 bazillion dollars against Australian Ford Forums owners for loss of sales due to (Boss/Turbo) enthusiasts saying hurtful and naughty things about (Turbo/Boss) powered vehicles.
This follows the successful action against ls1.com.au over the famous "LS1 uses oil case" which lead the outlawing of the term "uses oil" in favour of "frictionally reduction challenged".

Wayne Dodgey of Dodgey Case Rippem and Run, senior council for the applicant stated that their client was worried that people who were SO STUPID that they believed all the unmitigated balderdash they read on the forum might not buy a Ford product and just take the bus.
When asked to produce some of these people to give evidence he replied that as tomorrow was a school day they would be busy doing homework.

Leading social commentators A Current Affair were unavailable for comment until Tracy stops crying.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
AAP Reuter) 2nd October 2012:

Ford Australia have commenced legal action today in the high court seeking damages of 1 bazillion dollars against Australian Ford Forums owners for loss of sales due to (Boss/Turbo) enthusiasts saying hurtful and naughty things about (Turbo/Boss) powered vehicles.
This follows the successful action against ls1.com.au over the famous "LS1 uses oil case" which lead the outlawing of the term "uses oil" in favour of "frictionally reduction challenged".

Wayne Dodgey of Dodgey Case Rippem and Run, senior council for the applicant stated that their client was worried that people who were SO STUPID that they believed all the unmitigated balderdash they read on the forum might not buy a Ford product and just take the bus.
When asked to produce some of these people to give evidence he replied that as tomorrow was a school day they would be busy doing homework.

Leading social commentators A Current Affair were unavailable for comment until Tracy stops crying.......
so true tracie and anna will not take this lying down.
murdock/packer/stokes/wheatly will not let it happen.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Will definitely be interesting to see the outcome from it.

Not a big fan of Whingepool forums though, I hardly ever post there much.

As I stated on another forum though, the net needs to have some sort of element of free speech. If I find something to be substandard or not up to my expectations, I should have the right to be able to state that without the company in question coming back to sue me, or the forum I post it on.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #21
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

The outcome will have huge ramifications across the whole internet...very interesting case!
Old 16-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

OTHER THREAD HERE:-

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11190393

I'll donate $.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 16-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Threads merged.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

CASE WITHDRAWN

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/lawsu...881557140.html

http://whirlpool.net.au/

FREEDOM IS NOT HEREDITARY

Last edited by Keepleft; 19-09-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 19-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #25
honer
Back to N/A land

Damn, and there I thought those pack of retards would go off the air forever.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #26
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Well that was some pointless damage to themselves wasn't it.