Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..
Default Sleep Study

Im currently hooked up to some wham fangled monitor for a sleep study,wires from my chest,forehead,neck,finger and a nose thingy as ive been tired abit lately and i may be suffering from sleep apneoa..
Anyone else done it and what was the outcome??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

In the morning, you will wake up, take all the wires off you,unhook the monitor, you will stand up, have a and go home....hope this helps.........LMAO
Old 18-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

No not quiet einstein Im at home already cupcake
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 18-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Im currently hooked up to some wham fangled monitor for a sleep study,wires from my chest,forehead,neck,finger and a nose thingy as ive been tired abit lately and i may be suffering from sleep apneoa..
Anyone else done it and what was the outcome??
If it was a physician referred sleep study, the results will be discussed with you at another consultation. IF you have apnoeac episodes, treatment options may vary from " dental " appliances through to CPAP machines to maintain airway.
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Cheers Steve CPAP??
Quote:
Old 18-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Yep , been trough all that , sounds like you've had the first half of the test , if something shows up , they'll get you back and spend a night on a machine , you won't believe the difference .

I was waking up 120 times a night (not knowing) , stopped breathing up to 99 seconds at a time , and your Oxygen level is supposed to be 95 - 98 % , mine was 44% .

If you need to get a machine , there are two types , C-PAP (constant air flow) and V-PAP , Variable air flow . (automatically kicks in when you stop breathing ).

Now for the SHOCK ......

C-PAP machine average price $ 3,500

V-PAP machine average price $ 7,000 - $ 7,500

Just a tip , IF you do need a machine , look around for a S/H one , they're very hard to sell S/H and I got my V-PAP machine for $ 3,000 .

Norm (if you need any info , PM me)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a section of my uvula (no its not a girls part) removed by laser just above my tonsils ( they went also), I no longer have sleep aoepnea, I still snore however.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Yep , been trough all that , sounds like you've had the first half of the test , if something shows up , they'll get you back and spend a night on a machine , you won't believe the difference .

I was waking up 120 times a night (not knowing) , stopped breathing up to 99 seconds at a time , and your Oxygen level is supposed to be 95 - 98 % , mine was 44% .

If you need to get a machine , there are two types , C-PAP (constant air flow) and V-PAP , Variable air flow . (automatically kicks in when you stop breathing ).

Now for the SHOCK ......

C-PAP machine average price $ 3,500

V-PAP machine average price $ 7,000 - $ 7,500

Just a tip , IF you do need a machine , look around for a S/H one , they're very hard to sell S/H and I got my V-PAP machine for $ 3,000 .

Norm (if you need any info , PM me)
Damn i think ill be needing the machine right now....... Thanx norm ill be intouch for abit of info mate....
As for the difference.. Very noticeable??..
Quote:
Old 18-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Thanx also opto
Quote:
Old 18-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Scott

Geez those machines are pricey! Does Medicare or Health Insurance cover any of that? If all else fails, grap a $99 compressor from Supercheap and blu-tac it into your face.

Good to see you're onto it before the wheels fall off, I know a few people who suffer a similar thing and the symptoms can be downright scary.....
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
I had a section of my uvula (no its not a girls part) removed by laser just above my tonsils ( they went also), I no longer have sleep aoepnea, I still snore however.
Has this had a dramatic effect...? i think that is what could be causing my tiredness and irregular sleep habits... Is it worth mentioning this to my doctor.? I mean is it well known through the doctors?
cheers

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
Thornie
Off smelting

give me a whirl on what happens when you find out, i'm looking at going to find out if i suffer the same thing, was reading a booklet thing the other day about it and i seem to suffer most of the symtoms.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

what can cause it, stress, diet, over weight, or does it just happen?

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Damn i think ill be needing the machine right now....... Thanx norm ill be intouch for abit of info mate....
As for the difference.. Very noticeable??..
I've just replied to another to another member , YES , very noticeable , different life altogether , right from the first day . Well worth getting tested.

****Sleep Apnea can cause "Strokes & Heart Attacks" , that's what scared the Hell out of me !*****

EA2BA
RaTTuS

There are quite a few different reasons for this happening , weight , Alcohol, throat obstruction & medical conditions are some of them (I had the Drs baffled because I'm only 53-55 kg's , mine is a medical problem ). Some can be fixed with an operation , but most will need a machine .

Guy's , don't put it off , get it done NOW

The tests are a bit of a pain in the A** but it's really worth it . .

Oh and it's not age related either , when I was being tested , there was a 22 y/o there too , and his results "were not good".

Norm

Old 19-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #15
Scott

Quote:
****Sleep Apnea can cause "Strokes & Heart Attacks" , that's what scared the Hell out of me !*****
And Car Accidents, falls, accidents at work (hope you don't use power tools!!) etc etc etc.

I worked very closely with a guy who suffered this in the extreme. He wrote off a work car when it was just starting to be noticeable. We took the car off him and asked him to get a lift/cab but his answer was to buy a cheap old Saab that he didn't care if he crashed. We adjusted his role so that he could always travel with another staff member during work but the inevitable happened and he crashed his Saab on the way to work within a week.

He would drift off perhaps 4 or 5 times a day in the beginning but that turned into 100-200 per day within weeks (I'm talking work days here btw) and got to a point where he was no longer employable. Finally he got in to see the therapists and it instantly changed him for the better.

I'll never forget being in a Tender Meeting, not a huge project but several hundred thousand worth and having him fall asleep about 5 times during the meeting - fortunatley we still won the bid. He'd fall asleep on his keyboard and be woken up by the dinging of pressing the same button for too long.

He didn't admit he had a problem until I filmed him at his desk and showed him the footage. His missus didn't like me for embarrassing him but hey, he sought help straight away.

He now owns his own construction company - luckily he doesn't fall asleep with a circ in hand at the top of a ladder!

Serious problem this, if you think you suffer, get in and sort it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Geez those machines are pricey! Does Medicare or Health Insurance cover any of that? If all else fails, grab a $99 compressor from Supercheap and blu-tac it into your face.

Good to see you're onto it before the wheels fall off, I know a few people who suffer a similar thing and the symptoms can be downright scary.....
$99-00 would have been great : GTP006 , Medicare won't cover it & the Pension Dept wouldn't come to the party , even for the second hand one because we had "Over $500 in the bank" (we actually had about $720) , under $500 and "they would consider a contribution" ? : I don't know about Health Ins, worth asking .

I was Very Lucky , a "Very Good Mate" who's business is doing well , paid for it for me .

This is a $7,000+ "RESMED V-PAP" machine , just the hose & face mask was $380-00.

I put a CD next to it to give you an Idea of the size , not real big for that sort of money ---(it's not a wheel ) Looks like a little Vacuum cleaner , Mmm , now there's an Idea , Vaccy in reverse

**"And Car Accidents, falls, accidents at work (hope you don't use power tools!!) etc etc etc" *** Very true GTP006 , I couldn't drive 200 k's before I got the machine , afterwards I could drive 400k to Sydney then to the Central Coast , they make that much difference .

Norm

Last edited by normxb; 19-09-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added to text
Old 19-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
Thornie
Off smelting

i think thats what i'd have to do gt-p coz at this point in time there's no way i can afford 7k. i wouldn't say my case is that extreme though, i just happen to notice some of the symptoms as being tired all day even after a full nights sleep, tiredness when driving even short distances.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey RaTuS ,
If you're "noticing" it a bit now , I wouldn't mind betting it's worse than you think ( bugger mate , not intended to spook ya ) but it starts long before you notice it yourself , exactly like GTP's mate .

Best test is the Mrs , mine started complaining how much I was snoring at least 12 months + before , then I'd wake up in the morning and she was sleeping on the lounge , "she couldn't even sleep with earplugs in" , then I started waking up "Gasping for breath" . Next morning , felt like you'd had no sleep at all .

Once it has been fixed , either with an operation like "opto" or on the Vacuum cleaner , then you really know how bad it was , immediately .

One morning you wake up , drag yourself to work (normally late). by 3pm you're looking at the watch . praying for "knock-off time" .

Spend your first night on the machine , awake an hour early , spend that hour "chasing the Mrs around the house before you go to work ...." let you take it from there

The 7k job is only the worst cases , most people get by quite Ok on a C-PAP . (cheaper one ) .

Norm

Old 19-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

all the best with the results . interesting thread . i wonder how many people would have this without even knowing .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
hey RaTuS ,
If you're "noticing" it a bit now , I wouldn't mind betting it's worse than you think ( bugger mate , not intended to spook ya ) but it starts long before you notice it yourself , exactly like GTP's mate .

Best test is the Mrs , mine started complaining how much I was snoring at least 12 months + before , then I'd wake up in the morning and she was sleeping on the lounge , "she couldn't even sleep with earplugs in" , then I started waking up "Gasping for breath" . Next morning , felt like you'd had no sleep at all .

Once it has been fixed , either with an operation like "opto" or on the Vacuum cleaner , then you really know how bad it was , immediately .

One morning you wake up , drag yourself to work (normally late). by 3pm you're looking at the watch . praying for "knock-off time" .

Spend your first night on the machine , awake an hour early , spend that hour "chasing the Mrs around the house before you go to work ...." let you take it from there

The 7k job is only the worst cases , most people get by quite Ok on a C-PAP . (cheaper one ) .

Norm
cheers dude, thanks for the info, once i find a decent GP around here ill have to look into it
Old 19-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Well the test thing was easy. The monitor started at 7pm, i just had to plug in afew wires to the control box thingy(bout the same size as a mobile phone) tape a wire to each foot and tape the nose piece to my nostrils.
Asleep by 9ish and awake by 4am for work. I find out the results in a week...
Thanks again for the info Norm
Quote: