Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default club rego any dramas funny stories

just about to put club rego on one of my cars ,ive always been wary of the restrictions,just like to kno if anyone has had any dramas ,funny stories ,hassles ,tickets,been pulled over and had to come up with an excuse ,etc etc etc,log books are they used or even checked

XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: club rego any dramas funny stories

nothing hey !!
any info ,advice ,are the restrictions that much of a pain
Old 24-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

No dramas for me i just follow the rules . Stick to the 15 K radius from home . Just keep the club letter they email out every so often with the events on and the membership receipt. Most clubs have Munchies and Harry's on friday and saturday nights in their newsletters so gives you those nights to get out and about
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this 15k u speak of is that the test drive ,people i speak to say its test run only,like u cant even stop at a mates place or the shops,has anyone heard of this actually being enforced or is the old rule of if ur not doing anything stupid u should be ok
Old 24-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Mmm never heard that . Usually just a nice easy sunday drive within the 15 k radius , never had any issues ?? Also depends on what club you join. The club i'm is say if there is an event coming up you want to go to to email them and they add it to the newsletter , keeps everything legal..

As well as the Harry and muchies i forgot to add they usually have the willowbank drags listed as well so there's plenty opportunity for a drive
Old 24-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some ****y ****y club didnt like my inlet manifold... all ok i didnt like ****y ****y club neways......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

if you are driving the car outside the permit guidelines, then you are driving an unregistered car. if you are involved in an accident that causes an injury, then a yellow sticker or smallish fine is the least of your problems
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if you are driving the car outside the permit guidelines, then you are driving an unregistered car. if you are involved in an accident that causes an injury, then a yellow sticker or smallish fine is the least of your problems
good point iwant to try and keep it within the rules,i was goin to put both cars on club rego ,but i think ill leave one on normal rego
Old 24-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: club rego any dramas funny stories

I had one prob and that was at Queensland Transport at Woodridge
for you southerners just think RTA
I didnt have the Revs Cruisers club notice in my hand with the date of my
AP5 Valiant so I showed them the factory manual with the production dates
and they still wouldnt believe me that it was a 63 model
so had to chase up the official dated form
the next day it sailed straight through
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
fords35to75
No plastic bumpers

I guess depends which state you are in to start with. Main thing is to obey the rules. Police don't usually give you a hard time in Victoria however you need to be mindful that a Club Permit is a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle and not a cheap form of registration. Even with our log book system, it should not be abused as VicRoads posiiton is that vehicles should still be used predominantly for club related purposes.
'65 Galaxie Convertible (390)
'75 XB John Goss Special
fords35to75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
Stick to the 15 K radius from home . Just keep the club letter they email out every so often with the events on and the membership receipt.

i agree with this....ive had my XBGT coupe on club rego for a few yrs now and had no hassles so far

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
NET351
'69 XW

Yep, agree with previous posts. I've had my XW on club rego for a few years now and have had no hassles. I think the fact that I have personalised plates means it is less obvious for police on the road that it is a concessional rego car (as apposed to the S plates that stand out like dog's balls). I follow by the rules and that suits me fine as my club has plenty of officially organised runs and many sanctioned runs. Anything at QLD Raceway, Lakeside, or an affiliated club is allowed. Also, sunshine and gold coasts Friday & Saturday.
The only potential problems arise from abusing the priveledge and driving your car to work or the shopping centre! The huge savings in rego more than pay for the minimal and very occassional inconvenience.
NET351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i just put my XB on club rego last week. havent even had a chance to get it out of the shed since.

i am in QLD and the limits seem pretty fair. any driving i have used it for in the last couple of years would have all been inside the restrictions so i should be all good there. saved me $800 off the cost of a years rego. because i didnt have personalised plates i had to change to new black and white plates. thats ok though because they look better then the green and white ones and the numbers easier to remember (single letter and 5 numbers).
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NET351
Yep, agree with previous posts. I've had my XW on club rego for a few years now and have had no hassles. I think the fact that I have personalised plates means it is less obvious for police on the road that it is a concessional rego car (as apposed to the S plates that stand out like dog's balls). I follow by the rules and that suits me fine as my club has plenty of officially organised runs and many sanctioned runs. Anything at QLD Raceway, Lakeside, or an affiliated club is allowed. Also, sunshine and gold coasts Friday & Saturday.
The only potential problems arise from abusing the priveledge and driving your car to work or the shopping centre! The huge savings in rego more than pay for the minimal and very occassional inconvenience.
Personalised plates are the commonest way most guys I know do it. Not that police seem to give a crap anyway and don't pull up nice old cars...they know that club cars are going to be, generally, better maintained and driven more sensibly than the average "old car"...or VN...*cough*...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like its gunna be alright ,i can get it out for a legal cruise ,heaps better than it sitting in the shed ,where it hasbeen for the last 6 years
Old 25-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2DOOR
just about to put club rego on one of my cars ,ive always been wary of the restrictions,just like to kno if anyone has had any dramas ,funny stories ,hassles ,tickets,been pulled over and had to come up with an excuse ,etc etc etc,log books are they used or even checked
I've got three motorbikes on club rego in Vic and it's a godsend .. but it's a privilege, not a right. I tend to be a bit more weary when I'm riding 'cos I have club plate surrounds so if I carry on like a d!kchead everyone knows which club I'm with. I know few other clubs will come down hard on members who abuse the system, or act like fools while driving/riding. As mentioned police typically don't seem so single out club rego vehicles as typically most are stock anyway ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Despite being against the idea at first, I'm warming up to the idea of a "90 day logbook" like they have down south apparently.
As long as it isn't linked to a kilometer limit, it should be fine. I'd say that would be the amount we'd plan on driving the old Kingswood ute we bought, but if they put a kilometer limit as well, it would stuff us around because of the distances we drive. Not being limited to purely club runs would be good as well.
For instance, say we wanted to go down to Rockhampton to pick up something big or go to the club we are planning on joining in Rocky...that's a near-400km round trip right there, but it's only a day trip for us. Same as nicking down to Bundy to see the kids, and we decided to take the ute, that's a 1000km round trip for a weekend.
Old 25-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do we have to run a log book in qld
Old 25-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I never have but our rules are different to down south. We are restricted in the use of the car e.g. a "Test run but I did a bit of shopping too" will not have a fun ending....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
No mate no log book. As people have said you can get away with alot if you have personised plates. But if you're not on a run or you are outside the 15k buffer then your not registered, so pray that no one runs into you. The only grey area is you can go any distance to have the vehicle quoted and repaired. But with swap meets and car show on every weekend you have plenty of opportunity to drive it.

But I heard from a little birdy that Queensland Transport are thinking of going with the log book. But from what I've been told they'll be checking the cars for age verification and you won't need to be a memeber of a car club.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
As long as it isn't linked to a kilometer limit, it should be fine. I'd say that would be the amount we'd plan on driving the old Kingswood ute we bought, but if they put a kilometer limit as well, it would stuff us around because of the distances we drive.
I reckon that would be pretty hard to enforce. I believe the ADR requiring speedometers wasn't introduced until 1984!

In SA we have Historic Reg not Club Reg. Although you do need to be in a participating club to get it. We can drive the car 90 days a year and have to fill in a log book. Pulled over and not filled in then vehicle is unregistered. 90 days is good though. However the system is for stockers only. Large cams need not apply.

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 25-11-2011 at 02:33 PM.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the $400 personalised plates will have to wait.i cant find much official info on what i have to carry is it just club membership and newsletter with the runs onit
Old 25-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yes that's all i do as per what the club rules . The membership letter for that financilal year .. Never needed it but always have with me
Old 26-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #24
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes that's all i do as per what the club rules . The membership letter for that financilal year .. Never needed it but always have with me
great thanks mate cant wait to get it out
Old 26-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #25
M-Dog

Sorry guys I have to totally disagree with the Club Rego thing in QLD being good in any way whatsoever. Yes I know I can change back to normal Rego but I would like to see it change in QLD.
If I didn’t work shift I would be able to do more “Club Runs” but in reality I get about one opportunity every couple of months. (The run needs to be on when I’m off – Timing is bad)
In CQ we don’t have the opportunities you guys do down around the Gold Coast and Brissy so the runs are few and far between.
When I have been able to do the Club run it’s been a local “go to breakfast” thing and no cruising at all. 15klms is a joke and I fully support the idea of a log / 90 /120 day type thing becoming available.
M-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Dog
Sorry guys I have to totally disagree with the Club Rego thing in QLD being good in any way whatsoever. Yes I know I can change back to normal Rego but I would like to see it change in QLD.
If I didn’t work shift I would be able to do more “Club Runs” but in reality I get about one opportunity every couple of months. (The run needs to be on when I’m off – Timing is bad)
In CQ we don’t have the opportunities you guys do down around the Gold Coast and Brissy so the runs are few and far between.
When I have been able to do the Club run it’s been a local “go to breakfast” thing and no cruising at all. 15klms is a joke and I fully support the idea of a log / 90 /120 day type thing becoming available.
I hear ya. In my job we work shifts 24 hours a day 365 days a year, so it's hard to find a time that lines up with much that you want to do. The "days useage" version would probably be better. Also seeing as how the nearest town is 20km away from us, even driving it over to fill up with fuel would be outside the 15km radius.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Hey Greg what to you drive? As I go down munchies every now and then. I used to see an orange FPV with number plates similar to your user name getting around Ippy way.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #28
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
No mate no log book. As people have said you can get away with alot if you have personised plates. But if you're not on a run or you are outside the 15k buffer then your not registered, so pray that no one runs into you. The only grey area is you can go any distance to have the vehicle quoted and repaired. But with swap meets and car show on every weekend you have plenty of opportunity to drive it.

But I heard from a little birdy that Queensland Transport are thinking of going with the log book. But from what I've been told they'll be checking the cars for age verification and you won't need to be a memeber of a car club.

All Vintage/Muscle Car Clubs were asked to put submissions to QT earlier this year. QT is studying the results now and will deliver their findings some time in the future. I proposed the logbook in my submission.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Dog
Sorry guys I have to totally disagree with the Club Rego thing in QLD being good in any way whatsoever
it is great for many people. it doesn't suit everyone - i did not see a benefit to myself until the log book came in. while many agree with me, there were still a lot of people who took advantage of it under the old system in vic
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so with the log book u can go where ever u want just days are limited ???