Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Default Why SSBUB Likes Holden

Why SSBUB loves holden...
I just think of the VK Brocky drove around all those years ago
The VL Walkinshaw with that insane amount of body kit making it almost comically awkward
The step up to the VN's, VP's saw a change in not only engine but for that time of year, refinement
VR/VS with the ecotec being introduced to the latter and its sleek design
VT/VX disgraced the opposition remarkably through looks alone...the gen3's, providing you get a good donk, is cheap and easy to upgrade and will blow away much of your competition for speed
VY/VZ - are cars that grow on you...didnt like them at first (more the VY) but the SS versions look good...
VE - who knows

What turned me off Ford:
XD/XE/XF years - big heavy slow
EA/EB etc - a step up considerably and didnt mind them at the time
EL etc years - Ford turned ugly....looked good from the front, rear looked shocking
AU - took the step of ugly to another level on their base models particularly...just looked like bubbles/space cars to me...and couldnt like them from appearance alone
BA/BF Range - Finally something right....looks good, love the bonnet bulge and menacing stance, particularly from the front - with the new auto and boss engines as well as the best turbo on the market in the xr6t, its something ford needed.

Now balance these up and thats why i love Holden.....Ford had some shonky designs in my impressionable youth and Holden took the honours when i was getting serious into cars (VS-VT era)
But i wouldnt mind seeing how an xr6t or xr8 goes of the current model...my car has been edited so i would like to drive an xr6t/xr8 of around 280 odd fwkwto see how they go.

Old 19-11-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
I just think of the VK Brocky drove around all those years ago
The VL Walkinshaw with that insane amount of body kit making it almost comically awkward
The step up to the VN's, VP's saw a change in not only engine but for that time of year, refinement
VR/VS with the ecotec being introduced to the latter and its sleek design
VT/VX disgraced the opposition remarkably through looks alone...the gen3's, providing you get a good donk, is cheap and easy to upgrade and will blow away much of your competition for speed
VY/VZ - are cars that grow on you...didnt like them at first (more the VY) but the SS versions look good...
VE - who knows

What turned me off Ford:
EL etc years - Ford turned ugly....looked good from the front, rear looked shocking
AU - took the step of ugly to another level on their base models particularly...just looked like bubbles/space cars to me...and couldnt like them from appearance alone
BA/BF Range - Finally something right....looks good, love the bonnet bulge and menacing stance, particularly from the front - with the new auto and boss engines as well as the best turbo on the market in the xr6t, its something ford needed.

Now balance these up and thats why i love Holden.....Ford had some shonky designs in my impressionable youth and Holden took the honours when i was getting serious into cars (VS-VT era)
But i wouldnt mind seeing how an xr6t or xr8 goes of the current model...my car has been edited so i would like to drive an xr6t/xr8 of around 280 odd fwkwto see how they go.
This SSBub fella sounds like a d**k :monkes:
Old 19-11-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
This SSBub fella sounds like a d**k :monkes:
That's gotta be the smartest thing you've said all day. Seriously though mate, I don't care if you like Holdens and I don't care if you talk them up on these forums. That is your choice and your opinion. However, in a thread dedicated to Ford, don't big note Holden. It obviously is the wrong kind of attention.
Old 19-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

AS if the Gen lll didn't have any oil consumption, transmision and ecu issues!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 19-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Choose your threads wisely. You have 1 reply, and the reason you wont have many replies is not many people like holden. go figure..............
Old 19-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Holden Engines transmissions (American) Profits from GMH (Go to AMERICA)

If you DONT like Fords, then why are ya here posting? Surely there are GM ones you could go along to an rave about a second rate product

BTW SSbub, at least ford can USE the letters GT, they have entered races as a Factory and WON. GM's official stance on racing? their cars are good enough without the need to race them? suuuuuuuuuurrrrreeeeeeee
Old 19-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS .. this isn't a thread to hammer SSBub.
Old 19-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I dont believe I hammered this person? I was polite and I also stated FACTS about a Product.
Old 19-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This post was just a humourous copy from a closed thread .. not and excuse for another Jihad.
I couldn't give a flog if SSBub likes holdens or not.. although I do wonder why he posts here.
The comment wasn't directed solely at you so put away your paranoia for a while.
Old 19-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

What is the point of this thread? I must have missed something.
Old 19-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

So what,

I love me Phoon but am not stupid enough to think that holdens are crap....... thats just wrong they make some excellent vehicles. Thank god for differences of opinion or we would all be driving around in phoons..... and there would be no one for me to drag off at the lights :Reverend:

Seriously SS dont worry about it..... there are clowns everwhere. Good to see you enjoy your car..... thats the important thing.

cheers

Peter
Old 19-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

SSBub - Those are all valid reasons to like Holden. The fact that you would even consider a Ford at least gives the impression that you are a car lover who drives Holdens, rather than just a typical Holden nut. I have driven both, and I drive Fords now because that's what I have had for the last 6 years. Given the choice of car, I would love a VZ SS wagon. It's got everything a family needs - plenty of room, and a stonking V8. Of course the other car in the garage would be a GT-P! But we all have dreams and mine aren't likely to come true any time soon, so I'll just remain happy with my Ugly AU XR8 sedan, and AU mockup XR Wagon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 19-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The VL, can't even engineer anything ourselves to pass emissions laws, let's just slap someone else's donk in. VL Walki starts the horrible idea of slapping as much plastic onto an exec as possible.
Yet another engine slapped into the VN. Whoops, can't get the thermostat, didn't think that through. Whoops, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
Fixed the thermostat problem come VP, still sounds like a vacuum cleaner though.
VR/VS much better exterior design than the VN/VP, shocking interior remains. Still sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
VT/VX had great looks, especially the S/SS. Interior much better than th VN-VS. Engine still sounds like a vacuum cleaner, although V8 owners can enjoy a rattling sound when cold. All owners can enjoy front end clunks and rattles, especially after 150,000kms.
VY/VZ - Shocking steering wheel, shocking rear end, front end was ok, got worse with VZ. Dropped the 3.8, although the new one doesn't offer much more, besides still sounding like a vacuum cleaner. V8 issues seem to be fixed. HSV have perfected the art of slapping as much plastic onto execs as possible.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Where is a padlock when you need one.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Guys, this isnt a comparison of Ford and Holden ok? Lets just let the holden fans have their say in here in peace and leave it at that. I'm starting to realy get annoyed with all the Ford Vs Holden stuff lately.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

lol I don't even care, I could of made the same list for Ford. Just replace vacuum cleaner with head gasket.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's one deletion
Old 19-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

two down
Old 19-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was I deleted?
Old 19-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Do you think the pioneers of the internet would have even bothed if they saw this kind of thread as the common usage of their genius?
Old 19-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #21
Psycho Chicken
Banned

There's far more to worry about than this.
Old 19-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #22
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
FFS .. this isn't a thread to hammer SSBub.
Exactly! I didn't start this thread so that we could all pay out on SSBub for being a Holden boy. Rather the opposite. I wanted to prove that he is quite welcome to enjoy his Holdens and to post here without starting any Ford Vs Holden Rubbish. I think we should be able to let people have their say, be they Holden, Toyota, Nissan etc.

I think that provided it's in the correct area, people should be able to discuss other vehicles. However, we shouldn't sledge people for liking something different. I don't go into the AU thread and tell everyone there that their AU is crap. In the same way AU owners don't post in the E-Series thread telling me my EF is crap. We need this mutual respect across the board.
Old 19-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #23
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
Choose your threads wisely. You have 1 reply, and the reason you wont have many replies is not many people like holden. go figure..............
I meant to say not many people on this forum like holden
Old 19-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #24
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What turned me off Ford:

The VB Commodore and the XD Falcon with comparable engine sizes (250 I6 vs 253 V8) were close to the same weight - the Commy was actually heavier, yet noticeably smaller in the body and with less power. The broad bonnet of the XD - XF looked pretty tough stock - which is why XD-XFs with a 351, a fresh paint job, some lowering and new rims look kick ***. The injected XF 6 had similar grunt to the standard VK 5.0 Holden V8 ( Ford had slightly more power, slightly less torque).
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 19-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #25
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Exactly! I didn't start this thread so that we could all pay out on SSBub for being a Holden boy. Rather the opposite. I wanted to prove that he is quite welcome to enjoy his Holdens and to post here without starting any Ford Vs Holden Rubbish. I think we should be able to let people have their say, be they Holden, Toyota, Nissan etc.

I think that provided it's in the correct area, people should be able to discuss other vehicles. However, we shouldn't sledge people for liking something different. I don't go into the AU thread and tell everyone there that their AU is crap. In the same way AU owners don't post in the E-Series thread telling me my EF is crap. We need this mutual respect across the board.
Inter model sledging doesn't happen? I must have been looking at a different forum. The problem with these threads regardless of the intentions is they are simply a magnet for the my colour is better than yours set. Almost inevitable they will result in a y go nowhere flame war.
I don't argue with the "live & let live credo" but London to a brick any comparison thread of any kind will have the flamers going by the fourth or fifth post. So if this one does dissapear in the night you can understand why.
Old 19-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #26
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

wow, woke up this morning to find 24 posts!! Hell, i didnt think we would get more than 1!!
To answer a few q's:
I didnt know the XD sort of era were heavier than the VB sort of era....i just based that on a few of my mates having XF's and an XE and they were really doughy...so my bad on that one
Gen 3's did have issues no doubt. My only defence is that you get a few bad eggs and the word spreads that the engine as a whole is crud. That and my gen 3 seems to use no oil and doesnt slap so im happy with mine. I never knew the ls1 to have ECU issues?! Mines now edited, but i have never heard of this as a problem?
The reason i post is to learn things about Ford. Im a lover of cars, a lover of H foremost, but it doesnt mean im not a 'swing driver'. Im looking for Ford to drop some weight (or h to put on some) and perhaps wait for modifications to the boss/xr6t to become cheaper. For $400 i got my gen 3 edited and now its chirping at the gears from the out of date slushy. If I could get the same bang for buck out of a Ford then i would seriously consider one, but right now even a BA xr6 2nd hand is out of my budget.
I do find the AU stock an ugly car to look at. XR's are somewhat better, i mean no offense sorry!

Psycho chook you are right about the VL, but i guess some people love the over the top body kit. Most 6's sound a bit 'vacuum cleanery' but ya get that. With the HSV's plastic kit, dont the Fords have similar stuff attached to their frame?

Phew, i think thats all?
Old 19-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #27
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
I meant to say not many people on this forum like holden
Thanks for clearing that up. Even though I watched you type it, I had no idea what you were on about. Being 6 am, I didn't feel like asking.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #28
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
So if this one does dissapear in the night you can understand why.
Understandibly.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think the fault with this thread and the cause of the conflict was in the wording of the original post. I agree that it should be ok to give reasons (and the benefits) for liking a manufacturer. The problem with this is in the opening post it actually ragged on Ford vehicles and highlighted all negatives of that make. There were no positives towards Ford and the reference to Holden was vice versa. The opening post was weighted heavily and biased to holden, offering no fair comparison (except the mention of BA).

Quote:
What turned me off Ford:
Obviously, if you post something that slams Ford on a Ford specific forum, you are going to cop heat for it. The original post could have achieved the aim of pointing out the reasons for the personal choice without any mention of the problems that ford have had. I can assure all that Holden have had a fair share of problems (I know this as I used to drive holdens), just as all manufacturers do (PM me if you want to hear the woes I had with Holden).

My point is that if you go onto a forum that is specific to a manufacturer and rubbish that make, you will cop heat just like I would if I rubbished Holden on LS1. Fair enough, put your point across but don't stir the pot in the process.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #30
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
With the HSV's plastic kit, dont the Fords have similar stuff attached to their frame?
EB and EL GT, god yes. It's a fine line between looking like a povo pack and looking tacky. Personally I think FPV are closer to the looking like a povo pack with a giant wing, and HSV are closer to looking like the aftermath of an explosion at the Darth Vader helmet factory.
Closed Thread