Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question General Motors said this morning it will ditch the shortened nickname "Chevy,"

General Motors said this morning it will ditch the shortened nickname "Chevy," instead opting for the full three-syllable "Chevrolet" when talking about the best-selling brand.

"Because Chevrolet is one of the fastest growing automotive brands globally, we will use Chevrolet in internal and external communications," the company said via its corporate Twitter account this morning. "We love when people call us Chevy and we are not trying anything to change this."

So, is it Chevy or Chevrolet? The reaction to the announcements was nearly universal from everyone I spoke with this morning.

"I think it's asinine," said Jim Bulin, an automotive consultant from Detroit. "I think when that gets broadcast to the general public, if it registers at all, those who already have a dim view of the empty suits in Detroit will only have it reconfirmed by this."

The company will change to use of the full name only in messaging and branding. A memo leaked to The New York Times said that the company even made a recommendation for how employees speak with their own families.

"We'd ask that whether you're talking to a dealer, reviewing dealer advertising, or speaking with friends and family, that you communicate our brand as Chevrolet moving forward." The memo was signed by Alan Batey, vice president for Chevrolet sales and service, and Jim Campbell, the G.M. division's vice president for marketing.

The decision seemed to cause a bit of stir in Detroit, no doubt energized by a whirlwind of marketing changes at the company happening in parallel. Chevrolet itself has seen three different ad agencies in as many months. On Thursday, company executives seemed to grasp how the memo was taking on a life of its own and issued the following statement:

"Today's emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet."

The move won't be cheap. The company's various advertisements, websites and dealer signs still make heavy use of the "Chevy" name.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW! thought they had bigger problems than ow their name is prenounced...
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ha?? Yea just keeping the exposure out there.. G.M are very good at that !!!
Like it's going to make any difference ??

Can Daewoo be shortened ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Ha?? Yea just keeping the exposure out there.. G.M are very good at that !!!

HOLDEN !!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240

No, Holden still has 2 syllables.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Yeah of course it can be shortened...

it can be AXED.... like the name "Chevy"

I can't believe they've actually spent time discussing this...

Almost like the VIC Police discussing that if they were wearing BLACK uniforms instead of the traditional blue, then they would have control of the streets!!!

Perhaps if they looked at the board of directors at Chev-ro-let and realised that those who are in control are not 'car' people - they'd have a fighting chance...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The companies in debt up to it's bowtie, and this is all they give a stuff about? Talk about priorities...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
The companies in debt up to it's bowtie, and this is all they give a stuff about? Talk about priorities...
was thinking the same thing

Stuff the fact that they have debts to pay off they want to spend the $$$$ on a name change/fix

oh well should be interesting to say the least

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Any publicity is good publicity when it comes to GM

Won't stop me calling 60's impalas the Heavy Chevy
Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Perhaps if they looked at the board of directors at Chev-ro-let and realised that those who are in control are not 'car' people - they'd have a fighting chance...
.. and they are letting Marketing people who know nothing about cars control their thinking.

When Chevy stop becoming a car company of choice for enthusiasts, affordable, interesting cars are doomed ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/70286/yo...ays-chevrolet/

Quote:
You can still call us Chevy, says Chevrolet
By Tim Beissmann | June 11th, 2010

Chevrolet today responded to public uproar over its internal employee memo encouraging the use of the name “Chevrolet” rather than “Chevy”, admitting that it was “poorly worded”.

The original debate started on Tuesday in the US when The New York Times published a message signed off by ex-Holden boss, now vice president for Chevrolet sales and service, Alan Batey, and GM vice president for marketing, Jim Campbell.

The memo emphasised the importance of delivering a consistent brand message and encouraged employees at the company’s Detroit head office to stop using the name Chevy.

“We’d ask that whether you’re talking to a dealer, reviewing dealer advertising, or speaking with friends and family, that you communicate our brand as Chevrolet moving forward,” the memo read.

“When you look at the most recognised brands throughout the world, such as Coke or Apple for instance, one of the things they all focus on is the consistency of their branding. Why is this consistency so important? The more consistent a brand becomes, the more prominent and recognisable it is with the consumer.”

Ironically, the two examples used, Coke and Apple, are both used more sparingly by those corporations, who prefer Coca-Cola and, in Apple’s case, the specific product names such as iPod or iPhone.

But following days of obvious uproar from fans, Chevrolet today released a statement encouraging the use of the Chevy name among customers and followers of the brand.

“Today’s emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted.

“We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.

“In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

“We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favourite car, truck or crossover a ‘Chevy’,” the statement read.

It did not, however, retreat on the earlier memo for employees to stop using the name Chevy.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chevy sounds dodgy

I like the plane old single syllable CHEV

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

how do they think they will get rid of that nickname? Everyone calls them chevy.

Goodluck to them. pfft.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
"Because Chevrolet is one of the fastest growing automotive brands globally..."
Really is this true? Or are they doing the... 'they are a new company and the figures they use suppose that the old GM aren't counted in their previous sales figures'?

I'd be surprised if they really are growing that quickly if they compare their sales figures to the past 5 years. But Im only guessing here! Aren't Hyundai and Ford in the states growing heaps and the others floundering around? That's what I remember hearing late 2009.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Really is this true? Or are they doing the... 'they are a new company and the figures they use suppose that the old GM aren't counted in their previous sales figures'?

I'd be surprised if they really are growing that quickly if they compare their sales figures to the past 5 years. But Im only guessing here! Aren't Hyundai and Ford in the states growing heaps and the others floundering around? That's what I remember hearing late 2009.
Rebadging daewoohoo's with a chevrolet tie!
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Wont matter what the head office calls it. Them thar good ol' boys will still call it a 'Chebby'
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

has anyone thought of their fans - not many of them can pronounce chevrolet - too many syllables
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

i wonder what mr chase's thoughts are on this subject?
would he have to change all of his identification docs?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so it was the parent company that the name "chevy" came from ???
or was it a name the general public came up with ???
either way shut the doors for GM i think
they run major debts up and put their hand out for the government to help them
good management right there i say
isnt FORD the only manufacturer not taking hand outs ???
when the storm is over will people remember this ???
wonder if holden are looking into changing
"crumpledore" back to commodore ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Slow news day or something?? Personally ill still call them Chevys
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
has anyone thought of their fans - not many of them can pronounce chevrolet - too many syllables

and the ones that can master 3 syllables will pronounce it chevro'let' not chevro'lay'!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

No Chevy or Chevrolet for us.

My father called them Chev, I call them Chev, my sons call them Chev and hopefully my grandchildren will call them Chev. We are just simple folk.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I for one think this move makes sence, especially from a global point of view. Having the two names can be seen as confusing to consumers, and we must remember most people who buy cars doesn't know a great deal. I guess this is the marketer in me coming out, but I honestly think it's a logical move. Expensive, yes, but there is no point half assing things, you have to establish the basics so the bigger moves you make have a solid foundation to stand on.

But even I think they have much bigger problems right now. While this move doesn't make a whole lot of sence to some, as they are short on chase right now, but now is the time they can reinvent the company, yes their products lack finess, but if in five years the company is back on it's feet, it makes it difficult to make substantial changes and have them stick. They will however have a lot of trouble trying to get consumers to know them not as just Chevy, big job!
Old 13-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #24
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have started paying the money back so good on them.
Good to see, we want to see more westewrn companies surviving fighting Toyota and Honda.

Hopefully they will bring out more RWD stuff.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
No, Holden still has 2 syllables.
But when said by your average bogan its the one syllable "oldn"