Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Default Ev Range fails to match official figures

Could see this happening mile away ( pardon the pun)

http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/news/...-figures-19674

US focus-group queries the range of BMW's Mini E, based on day-to-day reality
The electric car has entered a critical chicane in the road to mainstream acceptance with questions being raised about truth in the claims manufacturers are making about range. At the centre of the controversy is BMW's Mini E (pictured), the two-seat all-electric incarnation of the Mini, 300 of which have spent the last year on a leasing program with civilian users in metropolitan New York, New Jersey and California.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, the feedback in BMW's recent survey of participants has revealed a consistent shortfall of about 30 percent in real-world use against early estimates based on US Environmental Protection Agency testing.

"The Mini E was supposed to have a 156-mile (250 km) range," NJ lessee Tom Moloughney told the paper. "But that only translated into a real-world range of 100 to 110 miles (160 -- 175 km)."

BMW says the best anyone achieved on a charge was 127 miles (204 km). The clear real-world average was around the 100-mile (161 km) mark. While a number of the participants were pleased with the Mini E's results in heavily trafficked city driving, the testing revealed the major problems lay in sustained freeway trips speeds of over 100 km/h. California participant Greg Boyer suggested that driving in such a way would more realistically yield a range of "60 or 70 miles" (100-125 km).

BMW and the EPA have both admitted the testing regime failed to reflect real-world conditions. BMW has told media in mitigation that drivers have found the Mini E capable of sufficient range to serve most of their needs. An EPA spokeswoman told the Journal the agency hasn't finalised its EV testing methodology, and that it remains a work in progress.

The affair sheets home the ways in which the limitations of current EV power pack technologies will translate into limitations in day-to-day use by real-world consumers. For some time, it's likely the EV will at best find its way into the runner-up spot in the garages of consumers with the bank balance and environmental conscience to stump up for a car specific to work-and-Woolies duties.

All of which, as the Journal pointed out, could spell trouble ahead for Nissan's Leaf. Nissan's claims for its upcoming EV are based on the same testing as the Mini E. The four-seat Leaf's battery packs substantially less power -- 24 kW, against the smaller Mini's 35 kW.

For now, Nissan is sticking with its 100-mile (160 km) range claims, albeit with qualifications taking into account variations in driving patterns, climatic conditions and use of heating and air conditioning facilities.

"You are going to see people who get more than 100 miles and people who get less than 100 miles," spokesman Mark Perry told the Journal. "The most impact on range really is how hot and cold you have set your interior cabin."

Despite their reservations, both Tom Moloughney and Greg Boyer have put down US$99 deposits to join the queue for the Leaf, set to arrive in Nissan's US showrooms later this year.

"I really hope they haven't oversold the range," Mr. Moloughney told the paper. "If they start selling these cars and they run out of charge at 60 miles, Nissan is going to have a huge black eye, and it's going to set them back as well as the whole EV [electric vehicle] indust

SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always thought these electric car mileage claims were in best case scenario`s, it looks like that is the case, if you read from one of the big name electric car sellers they mention the gradual degradation of battery and range over a period of time, it seems to me if you want to have your cake and eat it to (have all your luxuries and range in poor conditions), you still need an internal combustion engine.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Electric car.. stupid crappy idea.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"questions being raised about truth in the claims manufacturers are making about range"

Of course, this never happens with petrol-powered cars

Seriously though what sucks is, I know what electric motors can do for cars, I am sick of seeing lame attempts at EVs. Maybe this is all part of a conspiracy afterall. Make electric cars crap, so that oil companies remain in control. I don't want to believe that, but they can do so much better.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower

Seriously though what sucks is, I know what electric motors can do for cars,

i have a magazine article somewhere that has a mitsi evo 9 with electric motors in all 4 wheels. the thing had almost instant torque and awesome performance from memory. speaking of my memory, its a bit hazy so i'm not sure if it still had the petrol engine as well.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

meh...i will take a LiLPG Hybrid thanks. Does anyone do this?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Electric cars work about as well as V6 vacuum cleaners. To make something work in an environment that its not suited for requires more than just bolt it together and hope for the best.

Unless we can seriously improve battery technology, electric cars are destined to fail.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
JimNiki
71Mach1

I agree with the above with one exception. I still believe that electric driven motors are our future. What I don't believe in is that the fuel source for these electric motors will be battery based. I believe it will be eg: fuel cell, etc or something with a better and more efficient eco footprint and more to the point, something that creates the electricity dynamically rather than storing it and carrying it around.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post