Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
noddy383

Thumbs up Turbo Conversion Insurance

I've been toying with the idea of (down the track) putting a turbo in my 2010 BF wagon, either just adding the turbo or doing a full swap. I currently don't that have the cash and have other priorities, but I've been researching the various hurdles to having such a vehicle on the road and inevitably, the topic of insurance crossed my mind.
I called the RACV (my current insurer) to ask if I could insure a non-factory installed turbo and if it would affect my premiums etc. and got a very unexpected answer.
They could insure it and it shouldn't affect my premiums provided it was all okay according to VicRoads. All they need is to be notified and that their underwriter may need proof that it was all legitimate (eg. engineer's certificate etc.)

Has anyone dealt with the RACV in this way and am I being told porkies?

At this point all the logistics and costs of the actual conversion are in the 'Think about later' pile, so I'm not worried about them ATM, and I'm not interested in buying a XR6T sedan or ute.

noddy383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Turbo Conversion Insurance

Most insurance company will insure a car that is modified. It can be a small mod like rims or a massive conversion. The tricky part of it is, with major mods you need to get a Engineers cert to say it is all legal roadworthy. Once you have that, insurance will say yes or no to insure the car, you list it on your policy and that’s basically it. AS long as you have done every correctly and got it signed off you should not have an issue with the insurance company once they have agreed to insure the car and you have told them about the mods.

One thing you need to remember, this conversion may cost 10 grand plus and the insurance company will more than likely only cover, the value of the car. So if your car is stolen or written off you will lose the amount of money you have put into the car.

The better option you would probably have is to get a XR6T wreck and use all the running gear, computer etc.

Before taking out any insurance, read the PDS and confirm with the company that they will insure you.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
noddy383

Yeah, none of that is particularly surprising. Cheers
Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
chezsay
Starter Motor

yeah I bought a wagon with a F6 turbo engine fitted by FTG wreckers I have it insured with shannons they will insure any thing for a price
will shop around this year but it is a hassle explaining as it doesn't fit in there drop down list
chezsay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
noddy383

How much did you pay for the wagon, if you don't mind me asking? Are you the lucky owner of the F6 Tsunami?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
chezsay
Starter Motor

Yeah thats the one paid a bit much 20k a few years ago the old bloke I bought it off only ran up 12000 kms I've got it up to 64000 kms and still going well
chezsay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
noddy383

Awesome. That would be ideal, but I think I'll settle for an XR6T spec engine unless there's not much difference in price when the time comes.
Thanks for your help.