Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Endura Culled.

"Ford Australia has confirmed that it will drop the slow-selling Endura large SUV from the local roster, after just a couple of years on sale."
https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...ps-endura-2020
Old 09-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Endura Culled.

YOU CAN HAVE A SUV! YOU CAN HAVE AN SUV! YOU CAN HAVE AN SUV! SUVS FOR EVERYONE!

We are now the SUV company,

Let's jack up our prices, we need to become VW.

Hey no one's buying our SUVs

We'll cull one of our eleventy bazillion SUVs we have that are barely selling 200 units because it's overpriced.

Let's change our CEO!

Bleep bloop bloop bleep - Roomba stuck behind office chair, turn 270 degrees and take off in new direction.

They should just cull everything except Ranger 4x2 and 4x4.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
YOU CAN HAVE ANY VEHICLE YOU LIKE AS LONG AS ITS RANGER
Fixed that for you.

Now where have i heard something similar before..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The RHD Edge sold in Europe has ended so once the factory rolls to MY21, no more Endura.
By the time Endura arrived here, it had already failed to sell in Europe and the UK so it was
already on borrowed time,

Once again, this is an example of a nice vehicle that needed to be tweaked for our market
but Ford persisted with the diesel only European version with near $50k starting price
before finally easing the price back to $44k, even that didn't help with sales.

Is Ford prepared to throw it's whole showroom under a bus just to maintain a company
policy on premium pricing? At what point does it admit that it's just not working?
I have said for a long time that Ford's starting prices on cars and smaller SUVs looks to be
about $7k higher than most of the competition, those optics basically take Ford vehicles
off buyers shopping lists. The brand is now so injured that dropping prices may not help,
so I don't know what the answer is, maybe Ford doesn't either.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-11-2020 at 06:10 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The RHD Edge sold in Europe has ended so once the factory rolls to MY21, no more Endura.
By the time Endura arrived here, it had already failed to sell in Europe and the UK so it was
already on borrowed time,

Once again, this is an example of a nice vehicle that needed to be tweaked for our market
but Ford persisted with the diesel only European version with near $50k starting price
before finally easing the price back to $44k, even that didn't help with sales.

Is Ford prepared to throw it's whole showroom under a bus just to maintain a company
policy on premium pricing? At what point does it admit that it's just not working?
I have said for a long time that Ford's starting prices on cars and smaller SUVs looks to be
about $7k higher than most of the competition, those optics basically take Ford vehicles
off buyers shopping lists. The brand is now so injured that dropping prices may not help,
so I don't know what the answer is, maybe Ford doesn't either.
I agree, Ford serious need to start eliminating reasons why their cars are not selling.

If its price, then run a 6-12 month trial and reduce the prices, see if that gets sales up. Keep on the marketing and push.

If that doesnt solve it then they are feckled, but at the moment there seems to be a lack of willingness to try and I agree for a ling time they have pretended to be someone who they are not.

Most car people get the quality is there. but these people are not the sales Ford needs for more volume.

I am sure there is a balance point there, but Ford has sat on the low sales end of the scale for too long, they really need to try something serious or just dont bother.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats an Endura?
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
whats an Endura?
It does sound a bit medical, and painful.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And with a new Hybrid Kluger on the way and eventually an updated CX-9, the recently released Kia Sorrento and soon to be released upgraded Sante Fe sister model the segment Ford dominated with Territory has been lost to them.

Everest is very good however it's narrower than a Territory and not dynamically equivalent, the Territory was a star in this regard. You cannot offer Everest as a Prado competitor and Territory replacement.

Now if Ford Aust. have something planned how about it drop the "we cannot comment on future product plans" crap because Ford US will often release some info upto a year ahead of on-sale date. It's not like it's going to hurt sales of something selling today.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
And with a new Hybrid Kluger on the way and eventually an updated CX-9, the recently released Kia Sorrento and soon to be released upgraded Sante Fe sister model the segment Ford dominated with Territory has been lost to them.

Everest is very good however it's narrower than a Territory and not dynamically equivalent, the Territory was a star in this regard. You cannot offer Everest as a Prado competitor and Territory replacement.

Now if Ford Aust. have something planned how about it drop the "we cannot comment on future product plans" crap because Ford US will often release some info upto a year ahead of on-sale date. It's not like it's going to hurt sales of something selling today.
Agreed on the Everst thing though, the difference in space between our Prado and Paj Sport is quite pronounced.

Paj Sport sport is a good car, does the job, but the extra room in the Prado makes long drives just much more enjoyable and once all the kids get >10 y.o its going to be "tight" in the Mitsubishi.

Ford have totally d|cked this one up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a surprise, sold 1 the whole time I was there...
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
YOU CAN HAVE A SUV! YOU CAN HAVE AN SUV! YOU CAN HAVE AN SUV! SUVS FOR EVERYONE!

We are now the SUV company,

Let's jack up our prices, we need to become VW.

Hey no one's buying our SUVs

We'll cull one of our eleventy bazillion SUVs we have that are barely selling 200 units because it's overpriced.

Let's change our CEO!

Bleep bloop bloop bleep - Roomba stuck behind office chair, turn 270 degrees and take off in new direction.

They should just cull everything except Ranger 4x2 and 4x4.

It's also most important for whatever you replace it with to have a completely new name, another fresh start, fresh advertising campaign, keep the public on their toes, keep the public guessing.

"The whole secret lies in confusing the enemy, so that he cannot fathom our real intent." ― Sun Tzu
Old 10-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpd80. When I say that, I get shot down.
I have always said Ford is premium priced but not a premium vehicle. Making cars in Thailand was to make them cheaper. Didn't happen. If entry level Focus and Puma were around $25k,drive away might get people in the showroom
Old 10-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I agree, Ford serious need to start eliminating reasons why their cars are not selling.

If its price, then run a 6-12 month trial and reduce the prices, see if that gets sales up. Keep on the marketing and push.

If that doesnt solve it then they are feckled, but at the moment there seems to be a lack of willingness to try and I agree for a ling time they have pretended to be someone who they are not.

Most car people get the quality is there. but these people are not the sales Ford needs for more volume.

I am sure there is a balance point there, but Ford has sat on the low sales end of the scale for too long, they really need to try something serious or just dont bother.
I think they are starting to make the necessary changes now with Puma and new Escape by offering much better drive away pricing.

And the Endura will most likely be replaced with the 7 seat Escape that is supposed to be replacing Edge overseas in a year or 2.

Endura was hamstrung by being diesel only, only 5 seats and the rrp that was clearly too high. But that was also a side effect of being diesel only. Petrol versions might have been 3-5k cheaper, which would have made much more sense than being diesel only. But they could only get what the UK wanted, which was only diesel. The day that europe switches away from diesel, to petrol and petrol hybrid, will be the day we start seeing vehicles more appropriate for our market. Diesels only make sense in commercial vehicles and utes/large SUV's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I love this ****, Ford wait until Territory petrol sales are exhausted before finally offering a long desired diesel option and then starve the Aus built vehicles of funding until the numbers are low enough to blame the consumer and justify closing up shop, then we get told our cars will be cheaper.
Fast forward 4 years, manufacturing is gone, cars are dearer than ever and what were offered is only what we can get from the European wish list, but wait...wait a few years, cross your fingers and if, if, by some chance Europe decide they want something that one day may suit our market, we might get it.
Until then, have this ute and its wagon sibling and we'll throw in 200 sports cars if you plan on getting anywhere fast.

Yeah, nah, you'll find most punters over at Toyota, Hyundai or Kia but good luck with it.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I’ve just learned that Australia could get the Mondeo replacement, it’s a crossover thingy so it might do a lot better in Australia. Thinking that it will probably be on C2 so possible hybrid.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I love this ****, Ford wait until Territory petrol sales are exhausted before finally offering a long desired diesel option and then starve the Aus built vehicles of funding until the numbers are low enough to blame the consumer and justify closing up shop, then we get told our cars will be cheaper.
Fast forward 4 years, manufacturing is gone, cars are dearer than ever and what were offered is only what we can get from the European wish list, but wait...wait a few years, cross your fingers and if, if, by some chance Europe decide they want something that one day may suit our market, we might get it.
Until then, have this ute and its wagon sibling and we'll throw in 200 sports cars if you plan on getting anywhere fast.

Yeah, nah, you'll find most punters over at Toyota, Hyundai or Kia but good luck with it.
Punters over at Toyota are discovering that price hikes happen there too.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Punters over at Toyota are discovering that price hikes happen there too.
And they still got 25% market share last month..
Old 10-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

That did make me chuckle though.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I’ve just learned that Australia could get the Mondeo replacement, it’s a crossover thingy so it might do a lot better in Australia. Thinking that it will probably be on C2 so possible hybrid.
The Subaru Outback style wagon? Haven't really heard much about it. Will be interesting to see what it is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well considering Subaru only moved 500 Outbacks last month and its an established model of 25yrs from a reputable company with a cult following, the Ford Mondeo replacement crossoverSUVAWDjackedupwagonthingamybob should hit the charts at an earth shattering 200 demo registrations in the first month or so before petering off to about 80/mth.

So with that in mind, its a lock.

On a positive note, you can hate on me now for being a pessimist and wont have to reconsider when im found to be accurate.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been looking at Endura lately because of its towing. It was crucified for not having 7 seats but if it did it would be very small by comparison. the new Sorento is a monster by comparison as will be the Hyundai. For us it would have been good because our family has moved on. CX5 just doesnt look like it would tow 1700kg even though the figures say so. My wife is coming out of a BMW 330 so I don't want anything too big as it will be her daily. I am not a Diesel fan and Mazda have had numerous issues with diesels and some of the towball download weights let down many cars especially the Europeans. Some as low as 80kg and 100 isn't much better. Enduras 200. CX8 has only just increased from 100 to 150 same as CX5. Theres a few Endura demo's around and thats where I was leaning. Maybe there will be some bargains now it's been axed. I was even checking out the Skoda Superb scout wagon, looked pretty good for us two till we got to towball download. Tows 2000k but with a download limit not much more than my willy would hold. 80kg PFFFFTTT.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And they still got 25% market share last month..
That’s true but my point was that Toyota is beginning to realise that maybe it doesn’t need 25% of the market, just the parts that make good profits.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #23
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

That you Deesun?

https://gfycat.com/complicatedsatisfiedcaterpillar
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #24
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

It's been said on here many times before and some of us have copped it for saying it, ford is not seen as a high end vehicle...
It's higher end prices are not seen as value for money and endura, focus etc sales prove this, puma, escape sales won't be much better, even Everest sales I'm sure if looked at closely are more to ford staff than consumers,
Ranger is kicking goals left and right and centre but I'd suggest the abn benefits contribute to that.
Toyota has just seen the result of this with the stupid pricing of yaris, if manufacturers keep the prices jumping up by these numbers I can see why the used car market is now so strong....
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #25
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post

I would need some blue pills for that, lol.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Tows 2000k but with a download limit not much more than my willy would hold. 80kg PFFFFTTT.
https://mastertu.com/iron-crotch

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazi...hp?article=315

https://braineggs.wordpress.com/2016...3%86%E5%8A%9F/

http://www.shou-yi.org/qigong-choyle...-crotch-qigong

I see you have been learning from the masters.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The graveyard at Ford must be nearly full. How many deaths now over the last few years.

When they want to they can get it right and hit it out of the park...aka Bronco for example.
But most of the time it is a swing and a miss.
CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ford had so many models at their disposal - at some stage they would have been selling multiple models in existing RHD markets?

What is released here is over priced so doesn't sell. Then it's canned because it doesn't sell.

We will soon have nothing to get young buyers through the door.

Focus at almost $27k doesn't cut it. How long will that model be around for?

What happened to the new Ford Ka - still being produced and sold in many markets as a cheap run about - where is ours? People are buying the Picanto instead.

New Fiesta still being sold in several markets as a cheap run about - where is ours? Sales lost to Rio, MG3 and Swift.

"If you build (sell) it (at the right price), they will come".

Soon, the bottom end of the market will be mostly owned by Hyundai and Kia - and rightly so as they have stuck it out to this point.

They do a shed load of sponsorship, advertising and marketing, and it seems to work?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #29
CobraJet351

The badge doesn't carry the amount of prestige Ford would like it too, no matter how good the cars are.
CobraJet351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #30
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraJet351 View Post
The badge doesn't carry the amount of prestige Ford would like it too, no matter how good the cars are.
I agree, 100%.

Once upon a time, yes, the Ford brand carried enough "customer stickiness" they could get away with charging more. Not any more. Toyota has (correctly or incorrectly) a brand of reliability. Mazda has zoom, zoom (whatever that means). Tesla has perfected the art of attracting fanbois.

But the Ford Built Tough or the Go Further has been undermined by well publicise quality issues. Not such much that there has been issues, but the poor way Ford has responded to the customer when issues occur.

Toyota was at the bottom of the price range for decades, until it built up a quality reputation so that it could lift its prices. (Good luck to them by the way, a financial reward for hard effort.)

Speaking of prices ... My theory is that, for whatever reason, FoA has an expensive back office costs. And, whacking those costs onto every vehicle sold is what is driving up the sticker price. Unless FoA seriously sharpen their pencil, they will not get the volume they are anticipating. (But, perhaps, that is the plan.)
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: