Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Potential Class Action Against Toyota Hilux DPF Filters,

"Bannister Law is investigating a potential class action against Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited, for issues associated with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) fitted in the 2.8 Litre diesel Toyota Hilux, Toyota Prado and Toyota Fortuner vehicles sold in Australia between 2015 to 2018.
Our clients have experienced increased fuel consumption and a loss of power of the vehicle which they believe may have been caused by the inability of the DPF to reach desired temperatures due to hard deposits accumulating on the DPF oxidation catalyst in order to commence regeneration/burn of particulates.
Specifically, it would appear that the DPF may be defective because these vehicles do not burn off particulate matter in ordinary urban driving conditions. This in turn may create:
Particulate matter build up within the DPF;
Blockage of the DPF;
Excessive emission of foul smelling white fumes from the exhaust tail-pipe;
Increased fuel consumption to the engine to raise engine temperature in order to attempt to burn the particulates within the DPF; and
Increased wear and tear on the engine of the vehicle.
While we acknowledge that Toyota has written to their customers in December 2018 offering to clean, replace, or retro-fit a switch for these vehicles to encourage the DPF burn, our clients have been experiencing the problems mentioned above for a number of years, which has caused unnecessary inconvenience and expense.
We are considering a potential claim which may encompass:
Repairs not covered or paid for under warranty;
Loss of income and loss of use of the vehicles whilst being repaired;
Compensation for any measurable increases in fuel consumption;
Compensation for any measurable loss of power; and
Compensation for any extraordinary depreciation in value of the vehicles due to the issues associated with the DPF.
We are investigating possible contraventions of the Australian Consumer Law section 18 (misleading and deceptive conduct), section 33 (omissions equating to misleading and deceptive conduct) and breaches of Australian Consumer Law Statutory Guarantees (eg. section 54).
For other enquiries please email toyotaclassaction@bannisterlaw.com.au
Your Next Steps
Register your details and sign our No-Win, No Fee agreement* online (so we can act for you as our client and to keep you informed of progress).
If you have any marketing, promotional, purchase order or repairs correspondence and/or invoices from Toyota for the vehicle, these may become important for a future claim and it is important for you to keep them."
Old 21-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Re: Potential Class Action Against Toyota Hilux DPF Filters,

Bloody Ambulance chasers!
Litigation for this, litigation for that!.... Australia has become USA!
Long term, you know who’s pockets it ends up costing??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The cars affected are ander factory warranty and Toyota are actively rectifying the problem for customers so im not sure where there is cause for action against them when they havent denied an issue.
When you sign a purchase agreement to buy any new car you get a warranty which says you're entitled to return the vehicle for repair if theres a fault, you cant then claim for the inconvenience of returning it and its a well known fact that continuous urban driving without a regular long distance run will cause dpf clogging, this is not something unique to Toyota

Last edited by BENT_8; 21-12-2018 at 11:46 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Explains why they started fitting manual burn switches. They know it's a problem. Question is are they going to fix it, or just treat it as a warranty issue until they are out of warranty and then say bad luck?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Explains why they started fitting manual burn switches. They know it's a problem. Question is are they going to fix it, or just treat it as a warranty issue until they are out of warranty and then say bad luck?
If its only affecting vehicles driven in urban environments then there's no cause for a recall as the system itself isnt the issue, its the way its being driven and is evident in many dpf fitted cars.
So the onus is on the owner to seek a solution which Toyota have agreed to make good on if the vehicle is presented.
If the warranty expires before the customer makes contact its hardly Toyota's fault although im sure they'd work with customers where practical.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Then why have they fitted manual burn switches? No other manufacturers have from my understanding.

Doing that proves there is an issue.

Not that they are on their own with DFP problems with buyers ,who have no idea that running a diesel with a DFP for continual short trips is a bad idea.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

This jerk has some info!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYA5QYf3ZCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaW1XFxgrOM
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Maybe Toyota should offer five years free service.........
Toyota wouldn’t be dumb enough to stick it to their most valued customers,
I’m sure they have some grate customer offers and suggestions coming.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Then why have they fitted manual burn switches? No other manufacturers have from my understanding.

Doing that proves there is an issue.

Not that they are on their own with DFP problems with buyers ,who have no idea that running a diesel with a DFP for continual short trips is a bad idea.
I assume they've fitted the switches to vehicles which spend all of their time running around at urban speeds where the natural burn cycle is unachieveable so the switch overrides the parameters set in the ecu to achieve it automatically.
Thats why it says they will initially clean the filter, replace it where necessary and install the switch if required via what id day is a process of elimination as to the extent of the problem.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Maybe Toyota should offer five years free service.........
Toyota wouldn’t be dumb enough to stick it to their most valued customers,
I’m sure they have some grate customer offers and suggestions coming.....
Or perhaps they could pretend there is no issue and just tell customers they all do that..
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Watching some of 'Old Mates' youtube videos about it, there's a fundamental flaw in the pdf design and something about the 5th injector position angle being all wrong, which fails to work as it gets clogged to easy.
He mentions, Toyota, due to the amount of vehicles being sold to mine sites, knew of the issues a long time ago as they were offering delete kits to the mine sites to keep the utes going. They were also offering these kits to non-mine people as well.

Going to be interesting how this one plays out!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parents own a fortuna, has 50000 on it now and hasn't had a single problem with the dpf. They live in the country so it gets plenty of highway use. Seems to me its just the city slickers having the issues.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So .. I would love posters in this thread to give a Toyota Involvement statement.
(Mine - I Owned a 74 Corona I bought second Hand, have never owned a diesel anything, but would consider one) )

I am amazed that if it is so hard for Toyota to fix ... how do the other manufacturers make a DPF work for the many urban only oilers ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

... or they could start selling 4.0V6 petrol version of Hilux and Prado again, problem solved

Old 21-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Issue was also the DPF being located some distance from the exhaust manifold, so not getting hot enough to burn correctly? So also occurring on some cars doing lots of hwy kms?
Old 21-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I assume they've fitted the switches to vehicles which spend all of their time running around at urban speeds where the natural burn cycle is unachieveable so the switch overrides the parameters set in the ecu to achieve it automatically.
Thats why it says they will initially clean the filter, replace it where necessary and install the switch if required via what id day is a process of elimination as to the extent of the problem.
No they have fitted the Switches to all vehicles built after a certain date this year from Factory. Same on Prado and Fortuna.

Can't blame owners. Not just cars driven locally / short trips have the problem. They should do a full recall and fit all cars with the switch.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
UTXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
So .. I would love posters in this thread to give a Toyota Involvement statement.
(Mine - I Owned a 74 Corona I bought second Hand, have never owned a diesel anything, but would consider one) )

I am amazed that if it is so hard for Toyota to fix ... how do the other manufacturers make a DPF work for the many urban only oilers ?
Some other manufacturers dont...my 2008 Alfa 159, turbo diesel manual, bloody lives in limp mode, due to "EPF needs burn off, due to over filling"....this **** has been going on for years and my mechanics (need more than one when taking Alfa Romeo) both say the **** quality of the fuel is the prime reason for EPF issues in this country.
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
DMXR6T

Had a 2.2L Diesel XF Jaguar in Singapore for 3 years and no problem with DPF.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
xeeclipse
Banned

news flash..... Toyota no longer are the cornerstone of reliability!
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Got my letter in the mail today. It basically states that some vehicles may experience problems with their DPF system, as well as an information leaflet on wgat action to take depending on your car’s symptoms, and a request to book your car in regardless. As a side note, there is no mention of DFP nor PDF systems

They offer a free appointment at your preferred Toyota dealer for a software upgrade and DPF system inspection (with a view to replacement if the DPF is munted).

“Custom mode” is also made available, in my case it will be illumination of my SR’s DPF lamp, which was previously only for DPF faults. To me this is a bonus as it will help pinpoint for me when a DPF burn is occurring, rather than guesswork.

My 2016 Hilux has 95k on it, mostly country driving. It has had one instance of blowing white smoke during a DPF burn, but that was fixed under a previous scheduled service/software upgrade.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Soccer mums!
Old 21-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Push right foot in further more often - problem solved
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #23
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Push right foot in further more often - problem solved
How about welding a metal bung in where you can squirt the ***** with hydrocarbons or something that dissolves the soot??

.....and then cane the bejesus out of it?????

Last edited by GasoLane; 21-12-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
Old 21-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The cars affected are ander factory warranty and Toyota are actively rectifying the problem for customers so im not sure where there is cause for action against them when they havent denied an issue.
When you sign a purchase agreement to buy any new car you get a warranty which says you're entitled to return the vehicle for repair if theres a fault, you cant then claim for the inconvenience of returning it and its a well known fact that continuous urban driving without a regular long distance run will cause dpf clogging, this is not something unique to Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
If its only affecting vehicles driven in urban environments then there's no cause for a recall as the system itself isnt the issue, its the way its being driven and is evident in many dpf fitted cars.
So the onus is on the owner to seek a solution which Toyota have agreed to make good on if the vehicle is presented.
If the warranty expires before the customer makes contact its hardly Toyota's fault although im sure they'd work with customers where practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
do you have a newsletter i can subscribe??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Everyone loves Toyota diesel engines, how many 79 series Landcruiser utes do you see getting around where everyone thinks its 151KW/430NM torque is the best thing since sliced bread?

You think the DPF is costly, wait until you pay for injectors:

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #26
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Everyone loves Toyota diesel engines, how many 79 series Landcruiser utes do you see getting around where everyone thinks its 151KW/430NM torque is the best thing since sliced bread?

You think the DPF is costly, wait until you pay for injectors:

Repairers must love these things...

engine: $20,000
turbo x2: $8000
injectors: $8,000

Then you get to the IFS, DPF, smog pumps and not to mention the ridiculous packaging of the hardware. Give me the abomination that is the 5.7L SAUDI SPECIAL Y62 PATROL any day!
Old 21-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #27
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive actually seen a couple of new Hiluxes pulling trady trailers blowing a crapload of white smoke, not a good look and must be pretty frustrating,.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xeeclipse. How about this? https://www.infiniticars.com.au/vehi...cles/qx80.html
Old 21-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post
Repairers must love these things...

engine: $20,000
turbo x2: $8000
injectors: $8,000

Then you get to the IFS, DPF, smog pumps and not to mention the ridiculous packaging of the hardware. Give me the abomination that is the 5.7L SAUDI SPECIAL Y62 PATROL any day!
Same goes with the amount of ranger gearbox issues, tranny slipping, engine idles erratic, turbo issues, coolant hose's etcetc....works both ways.
Yes repairers love them all once out of WTY.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Same goes with the amount of ranger gearbox issues, tranny slipping, engine idles erratic, turbo issues, coolant hose's etcetc....works both ways.
Yes repairers love them all once out of WTY.
It's also a nasty sting in the tail for those that like to keep their vehicles longer,
you're really playing with fire after six, seven, eight years. Ut's much safer to
trade earlier than be caught with major repairs as the vehicles age.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post