Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Default SRT8 "Core" - Mega Bang for your Bucks!

I have recently Noticed on Carsales that the New 300 SRT8 "Core" Model is now hitting the Australia shore.

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta...d&sort=default

The Core models goes with out some of the Features that people of this forum feel are unnecessary..

Feature is can see that not fitted are:

- No Leather
- No Blind spot monitoring
- No Adoptive Cruise Control
- No Heated or Cooled Seats
- No Heated or Cooled Cup holders
- No Harmon / Kardon Stereo (still the standard for the base models are 500 something watts.)

But you still get that 6.4 Hemi (347kw / 640Nm) and brembos.. The Drive away price is: $62k

That is brilliant bang for your buck, a car that does between 4.5-4.9 secs to 100km and mid to high 12's.

Would i buy this car... nope.. I personally feel that the 300 should be all about luxury which this one isn't. but if all you care about is performance, this could a car for you..

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SRT8 "Core" - Mega Bang for your Bucks!

It maybe just me, but if I am spending $65k on a car, I want all the options.
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
ras351

The only thing I would want that this one doesn't have is leather seats.
ras351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats $62k drive away price...thats a challenge for FPV and HSV..!!! so. its really a GS ? or the basic Club Sport ??? but will still have more kit than either even in Core model ???
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
strik9
aka fpv747

i rekon it looks like a dogs ar%$. i wouldn't keep it if i won at at a chook raffle. ( not that what i think matters)
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Heated cup holders? Please.

I call all that crap fluff, so who cares if it isnt fitted.

Ok, maybe I would miss the leather lol.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leather can be done after market, but I'd be getting rid of the core badge ASAP.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Went for a drive in my cousins SRT8 Vapour edition Jeep yesterday.. Wow...
Was 82K plus on roads. Comes with one of the best sounding factory car audio systems (19 speaker harman kardon) I have heard, massive sunroof, awesome shadow chrome 20 inch wheels, all badges front grill etc in shadow chrome.. And one of only 100 built. My old man has a Terry turbo ghia which has a few minor mods and the jeep although very fresh and under 1000kms would blow its doors off. Just an awsome all round car really. Nothing compares for the money.
More info on the vapour here. All sold out apparently.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/205602/j...for-australia/
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Motorbreath310

To me, the options are a big part of what makes this particular car a good buy/bargain. If I were in the market for a no frills muscle-car, it'd be a GS with a manual box.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Rodge
Banned

I can't be bothered trawling through the full spec's as Chrysler can't even be bothered listing this model on their website but a quick look at the photo's shows it appears to be missing the carbon fibre interior trim, forged alloy wheels and i wouldn't mind betting its missing the adaptive bilstein suspension too.

Its difficult to make a price comparison as normally the SRT8 is $66,990 plus on roads isn't it ?, so that's over $70,000 in most states I guess ? So you're saving maybe somewhere around $8-9,000 ? but letting go a lot of cool gear. I can't see the point as the real charm of the SRT8 IMO is the unique mix of power, luxury and technology at that price point.

New ZF 8 speed should be out with the 2014 model and is probably only a few months away, keep your powder dry and get the one with all the best kit or if you can't wait I reckon you could probably buy a demo SRT8 for the same money as this stripped out model.

Last edited by Rodge; 07-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge it is on their website..go to 300 click on models..its there...
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I all the toys new cars have. I don't think I could get the stripped out version. I'd just wait 2 years and buy low k's second hander. I don't think I could even bring myself to buy a brand new car again
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very ugly car.....
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It only sounds expensive because it's the price they are forced to sell it for in Australia.

We all know the 300C sells from down near thirty grand in the USA (the 300C "Core" is a bit over $44,000). Having just watched Clarkson drive a British registered LHD Shelby Mustang from England to Italy, it has always annoyed me no end that people can't buy a brand new LHD car and drive it on our roads without stupid restrictions...like not being allowed to for a start...

My nephew in Edinburgh, Scotland, went on a trip to "the continent" and bought their new car, a very nice Renault, in LHD. They drive it every day...the world doesn't explode, they don't die every time they venture out on the road, and half the people in the street also have LHD cars bought cheaply on a European trip.

No idea why Australian authorities won't trust people with brand new cars in LHD if they so wish. The numbers would be small, and people who don't want to drive a LHD car won't buy one.

Still...if they could just ship them out here straight from the factories in Europe or the USA, how many people would still bother buying a Holden or Falcon, LHD or not...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Well, I'm convinced more then ever that our market is just a little bit small.
If we had a population around 30 million and annual selling rate around 1.5 million,
I'm sure that we would be seeing a lot more interesting cars here, maybe Mustang and Dodge Charger.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Can buy a Supercharged GS sedan for $47 kay... similar spec, possibly more bang!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Can buy a Supercharged GS sedan for $47 kay... similar spec, possibly more bang!
I'm with you mate..if people are going down the stripped-out high power V8 road, I reckon the SC GS owns that niche of the market. Nobody is capable of srtipping more gear than Ford...
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Yea, i would agree that the "Core" model is like a SRT GS or Clubsport. The power without all the bells and whistles of the upper spec model.

I think a Stripped out 300 loses all its appeal to me.. IMO its a luxury car and in the SRT8 form, its a Luxury Car with a BIG engine.. lol! Really shows what a bargain the 300 SRT8 really is..

at this price point and features, i would probably go a brand new F6 with leather or GS.

October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Well for 62 kay you can buy a GT with leather... I know which one id be buying... the GT all day.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Rodge it is on their website..go to 300 click on models..its there...
Got a link mate ?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

is that brand new (not a Demo) for $62k? the GT with leather? i generally see GTs high $60ks drive away... if you can get a GT $62k Driveway brand new, that would the choice for sure!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Was 82K plus on roads. Comes with one of the best sounding factory car audio systems (19 speaker harman kardon) I have heard, massive sunroof, awesome shadow chrome 20 inch wheels, all badges front grill etc in shadow chrome.. And one of only 100 built. My old man has a Terry turbo ghia which has a few minor mods and the jeep although very fresh and under 1000kms would blow its doors off. Just an awsome all round car really. Nothing compares for the money.

now they do look like a nice suv
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure that people in Australia would buy a "stripped down" Falcon or Commodore nowadays.
I remember several magazines complaining bitterly that you couldn't get a base model Commodore or Falcon with a V8 and a manual any more. But people have become too used to their toys and modern conveniences.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

This is a post from on of my members over on our Chrysler 300 Forum. I think it sums up the new package nicely.

"Thought I should post this up here as well, the core is now a reality. Went down to the local dealership this week to investigate further and was pleasantly surprised to find that they already had one on display.

As far as the aussie spec goes, it has the following changes over the full version SRT8

1. Premium Cloth Seats vs. Leather and Suede in the real SRT8

2. The two mode adaptive suspension is swapped for self levelling rear suspension

3. The HID headlights have been retained (deleted in the US version)

4. The fog lights have been retained (deleted in the US version)

5. The wheels are cast alloy and a different style to the forged wheels on the full version that look **** anyway

6. The high end harman/kardon audio package departs in favor of the base model sound system, this includes deleting the navigation
system

7. The dual pane sunroof is still listed an option, but I expect standard issue will be without it as it seems most non-core SRT8 cars ship with the sunroof installed
even though it is still an option (you seem to have to special order one without the sunroof).

8. Tyres might be a different spec but still the same size, the one I looked at had the Eagle F1s on it.

9. "Cargo area carpeted including cargo net and mat" is not shown as standard like all other versions, don't know what is in the boot instead and this seems a bit sus but I didn't look in the boot so don't know about this one

10. Front heated and cooled cup holders are gone (how did we ever survive without these things to keep our beer cold)

11. Heated and ventilated features of front seats are also gone

12. Rear seats are no longer heated and the cup holders are no longer illuminated

13. Piano black bezels are retained but "real carbon fibre" accents are replaced with matte carbon (I think this means fake stuff)

14. Adaptive cruise control is gone along with the rest of the "safety tec group" stuff (blind spot monitoring, rear cross path detection and forward collision warning system).

15. Reversing camera is gone as well

Good thing is all the actual performance stuff is still there except for the few suspension changes mentioned above. You still get the Brembo's but by painting them black instead or red it makes the vehicle cheaper.

It looks like it is a really good package for people who don't want (cant afford) to go the whole hog on the full version SRT and can't lower themselves to the V6 or diesel models, i.e. all the previous 5.7 hemi owners who would otherwise buy a clubsport."

Here's some pics:

Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

So its almost GS Spec FPV then, but with better brakes.

I'm surprised they gutted the spec sheet so much as initial talk when they were proposing this model centered around deletion of things like adaptive cruise, forged wheels and adaptive suspension, but they really went to town didn't they !! There is no way I would own this stripped out car. Nothing screams "I can't afford a full spec SRT8" louder than this version. Why anyone would want to go there is beyond my comprehension, for goodness sake if you've got $62K for this, who wouldn't either save the other $8-9,000 or borrow it.

I predict serious discounting of this model in 12-18 months time because this poverty pack model simply won't sell. $50K drive-away in 12 months time is my pick. With all that gear stripped it could be argued that's all its worth now !
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I wouldn't compare it to a GS, to me it looks like it still has about the same level of equipment as a base GT (possibly better in fact). The gear that they've removed (leather, heated seats, illuminated cup holders, brand name audio, adaptive cruise, collision warning, heated cup holders, adaptive suspension etc etc) isn't standard on a GT to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post

A neighbour of mine has the regular SRT8 Jeep, the sound it makes is just insane.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
tweeked
N/A all the way

But you have to look like a trying too hard Gangsta

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I think it is a good idea, a sort of entry V8 model for them but not without the entry level performance. Like a GT vs GTP.

I don't mind the look of the SRT 300, looks are subjective (I don't like the tacky look of the FG FPVs or the E2 and E3 HSVs).

I have driven a SRT 300 (the current model) and it's good fun to drive but like any of these cars I wouldn't want to own one. Doesn't fit my needs. Though in a wagon format and better handling...hmmm
Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge thats weird !! it was there this morning thats why I posted!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Stop complaining about looks people as looks are subjective
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: