Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Holden V8 Sales Sizeable Increase

AFTER THE SHOCK-WAVES of the global financial crisis hit, followed by a world oil price that first fell but has since marched skyward, many tipped that the days of the big Aussie V8 were numbered.

Not so, apparently.

Last month, Holden sold a sizeable 1682 V8-powered vehicles - the best monthly sales figure since November 2004; an achievement Holden attributes to its new fuel-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system.

The AFM system shuts down half of the engine’s eight cylinders during highway cruising and prolonged deceleration, and Holden claims that it can save up to 1.0l/100km off the fuel economy rating of a car equipped with a non-AFM engine.

AFM is currently only available on cars fitted with an automatic transmission, however with the majority of Holden V8s being optioned with a slushbox, thats no big issue.

With 6570 Commodores and Statesmans sold last month, V8 sales accounted for 25.6 percent of Holden’s large-car sales. The Australian automaker’s bent-eight models have always been popular, but last month’s numbers are a solid improvement over the 20 percent share those models usually command.

It’s such an improvement that inventory for V8-equipped Commodores and Statesmans is running low. Demand is steadily outstripping supply and Holden’s order books are 50 percent fuller than the same time last year.

In a world increasingly fixated on alternative fuels, hybrid motors and super-compact city cars, V8 enthusiasts are still prepared to open their wallets to capture the singular joy of a V8 on song.

With Holden’s AFM technology now delivering considerable fuel-efficiency and emissions gains, it seems the V8 will remain a powerful force in the Australian industry for a good while yet.

Again FORD has lost the plot and dropped the V8 from the G Series ! Just like they did in the 80's. When will FORD learn !!! my comment

Old 15-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The fact that the Holden (Chev) V8 is bloody good in the VE and the V6 woefully bad probably helped things along.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 15-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
The fact that the Holden (Chev) V8 is bloody good in the VE and the V6 woefully bad probably helped things along.
I would say so, the Commonwhore V6 has to be about the worst engine currently in production. It is an abomination.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I seriously doubt wether AFM had anything to do with higher V8 sales, it does bugger all.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

AFM did nothing for sales...

They lost power and gained stuff all in fuel consumption...

V8 sales were up because of the investment allowance and company directors updating their lease cars, no doubt Fords V8 sales were up for the month aswell however Ford really need a G8E model...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
AFM did nothing for sales...

They lost power and gained stuff all in fuel consumption...

V8 sales were up because of the investment allowance and company directors updating their lease cars, no doubt Fords V8 sales were up for the month aswell however Ford really need a G8E model...
I agree with that. Let's face it, the GT-E which is supposedly the next best thing to a G8E is just too bloody expensive especially when compared to the G6E-T. Stick the XR8 motor in a G6E and let the sales decide.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 15-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I agree with that. Let's face it, the GT-E which is supposedly the next best thing to a G8E is just too bloody expensive especially when compared to the G6E-T. Stick the XR8 motor in a G6E and let the sales decide.
+1

I think Fords idea is to wait until the Coyote V8 is released before they reintroduce the V8 across the range. I for one, can't wait!
Old 15-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I seriously doubt wether AFM had anything to do with higher V8 sales, it does bugger all.
I believe you and agree that it does stuff all but when Holden market this and the average joe out there hear's about it and believe's it, the sale's will follow suit.
We Can not argue with the fact's, the V8 for the general has sold very well recently.
Old 15-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

You guys are missing the point.

AFM allows the Mr Average to get his V8 past the Mrs. I know of a Holden dealership that ordered up to the point where the big boss nearly had a heart attack, V8's all gone. Yes it (AFM) is a useless gimmick but if it sells cars....
Old 15-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Giveaway pricing also helps. Can't believe what you can get for your $ compared to my old VX now.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 15-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

AFM allows the Mr Average to get his V8 past the Mrs. I know of a Holden dealership that ordered up to the point where the big boss nearly had a heart attack, V8's all gone. Yes it (AFM) is a useless gimmick but if it sells cars....
Till she see's the fuel bill and smells BS...
If sales have spiked because of AFM the spike will be short lived because its ineffectiveness will soon become apparent to everyone, i think sales have spiked for natural/seasonal reasons like end of financial year deals/cash spends, and lets face it, V8 commodores are popular again.

Old 15-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Till she see's the fuel bill and smells BS...
Too late 4Vman, the new salary sacrifice SSV is home in the driveway and she wont see the fuel bill it's off at the lease company..

Think about how the majority of these cars are sold. It's not 1985 anymore
Old 15-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
Thankfull
Banned

Apparently Australians are the worst dressers in the World when it comes to clothes.

Their taste in cars is not much better, there never has been a Commodore good enough that I would purchase it over a V8 Ford....mind you Im old school...as in Holden backing down in V8 form altogether on the race track in the face of the GTHOs

Commondore ? sorry no way....never.
Old 16-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

Spot on.

I strongly agree with Powdered Toast Man. With massive discounting and a V6 that is a major failure it's not too hard to see why the V8 is selling. Elks hit the nail on the head... "honey, it runs on 4 cylinders!!" would have no doubt been said by every potential holden buyer to his other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Again FORD has lost the plot and dropped the V8 from the G Series ! Just like they did in the 80's. When will FORD learn !!! my comment
Maybe they should drop the G6ET and reintroduce the Barra230.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They've just got a whole new market for their crummy V6 so what's it matter if sales of that engine drop a little at home!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 16-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats BS how can shutting down half the engines capacity not do sumthing.

The only commodores i see now in adelaide are all SS packs

While i understand its a FORD Forum, its getting pretty ricdiculous and rather Juvenile. Everytime a Holden comes up even if it is the "Dogs bollocks" AKA Top . its sledged regardless of how good it is.

How many of you can actually put ur hand up and provide a FIRST HAND opinion on THIS holden V8.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038

Last edited by Ibrox90; 16-07-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ease up mate.

There was a very good long range test done on a few V8s up the Hume a while back, and Holden's glory package hardly did much at all. It was a shallow improvement (providing it was driven at 90kmph) on a normal V8.

I guess us being Ford fans just makes it that little bit easier seeing through the hype of the holden advertising machine! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 16-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Yes but if it added up to half the fuel consumption then it'd truly be something. What's even Holdens claim 1l/100 or the like and it does bugger all except under cruise conditions. It's a better selling tool than ownership experience.

Nobody claimed Holdens V8 isn't a good jigger. But their marketing machine is even better.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 16-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

My question is: what is a "big Aussie V8"? Nothing Australian about the GM V8 is there but it certainly performs.

Oh and another thing. I'll get burnt for this. What is bad about the Holden V6? Due to the generous gearing from the automatic, the V6 actually goes pretty good especially down low(I drove a factory LPG version too). Sure it's not an enthusiasts engine of choice, but it is a very capable motor for the car it is in. I truely believed what I read here about it until I actually drove it and what is often stated here about it is pretty much BS.

What I will say is that the VE wiring gremlins are alive and well.
Old 16-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #20
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Oh and another thing. I'll get burnt for this. What is bad about the Holden V6? Due to the generous gearing from the automatic, the V6 actually goes pretty good especially down low(I drove a factory LPG version too). Sure it's not an enthusiasts engine of choice, but it is a very capable motor for the car it is in. I truely believed what I read here about it until I actually drove it and what is often stated here about it is pretty much BS.
I agree with you. Provided that you get a good sample, the Alloytec V6 engine is more than a capable performer. The 340Nm of torque offered by this engine (maximum) is among the highest in the industry. It is a willing revver too - topping out at around 6700rpm or so. IIRC, the final drive ratio on a VE Omega/SV6 is 2.92:1 and the same on a Falcon is 3.23:1. This means that the Falcon is geared shorter from the factory, giving a false impression of extra engine power.

Regards,
Dave
Old 16-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Ease up mate.

There was a very good long range test done on a few V8s up the Hume a while back, and Holden's glory package hardly did much at all. It was a shallow improvement (providing it was driven at 90kmph) on a normal V8.

I guess us being Ford fans just makes it that little bit easier seeing through the hype of the holden advertising machine! LOL!

GK

It will be interesting to see what actual long term users report. I don't put much stock in published figures, neither factory nor car mags. I have been running my trip computer for nearly three years now and it shows 12.8l/100 average on the 6.0. That corresponds pretty well with actual fuel bought and klicks travelled.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #22
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
I agree with you. Provided that you get a good sample, the Alloytec V6 engine is more than a capable performer. The 340Nm of torque offered by this engine (maximum) is among the highest in the industry. It is a willing revver too - topping out at around 6700rpm or so. IIRC, the final drive ratio on a VE Omega/SV6 is 2.92:1 and the same on a Falcon is 3.23:1. This means that the Falcon is geared shorter from the factory, giving a false impression of extra engine power.

Regards,
Dave
The gap between the six and eight is very noticeable. That doesn't mean to say the six is poor, just the eight is a great driver's package. The Ford six does pack some wallop in the low range revs, which most of the older straight sixes did, but whereas others adopted new geometry to overcome emmissions, the guys at Ford did a sterling job rejigging and titivating while keeping a decent displacement. You only have to have owned a Taurus to know that the Duratech might have had the numbers, but it wasn't a scrap on the grunt of the straight six.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

Maybe they should drop the G6ET and reintroduce the Barra230.
Wow, that might even sell ever so slightly better than the BF2 Fairmont Ghia V8, Ford would love it if it sold in those record breaking numbers :

Quote: