Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Uber

Anyone tried the Uber service in Adelaide? https://www.uber.com/cities/adelaide

I was suss about it but used it in Sydney last week, I don't think that I'd ever use a Taxi in Sydney again.

I can see why the Taxi industry is worried.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Uber

I registered with them as a driver when they were launched here but never went through with it. I have used a similar system in Germany as a passenger and it was brilliant.

The authorities and taxi industry and very angry and I have read of several Sydney drivers being fined $1000 each for 'providing a taxi service for financial benefit without the correct licensing' (or similar).

Not worth the risk (as a driver) and I probably won't ever use them as a passenger - I can probably count the amount of times I caught a taxi my whole life on the one hand!

I keep getting messages from them to finish the registration process (car inspection).

I don't blame the Taxi industry for being upset - Uber drivers don't have any formal qualifications or insurances (an accident whilst driving a paying passenger will void your standard insurance policy I believe as well).

I read a few weeks ago the the founder ( an American chap) was arrested in South Korea due to the many issues Uber had been having in many countries.

It's a shame - I think it is a wonderful system but it has many flaws when being run in a country with an already highly regulated and costly to run public taxi service.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never used it, but from what I have heard off people who have is that it's pretty good. If they can sort out the licensing and insurance I'm sure more people would use it.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I ...............
I don't blame the Taxi industry for being upset - Uber drivers don't have any formal qualifications or insurances (an accident whilst driving a paying passenger will void your standard insurance policy I believe as well).

I read a few weeks ago the the founder ( an American chap) was arrested in South Korea due to the many issues Uber had been having in many countries.

It's a shame - I think it is a wonderful system but it has many flaws when being run in a country with an already highly regulated and costly to run public taxi service.
That and other reasons was why I was suss about the service and really had no intentions of using them. I decided on a whim, as we had a lot of locations across Sydney to visit. Once I jump the creek of fear I was more than happily impressed.

The first time I used it I was hooked; I liked that I could see how many cars near my location and choose the type of car by size & cost, work out an estimated cost of the trip. When I booked the trip the drivers name and phone number was given and a GPS map tracked the cars location, allowing me to see it coming & we watched it turn the corner. The driver was a gentleman, the car spotless. No money changed hands, the service uses Credit card or Paypal when registering. Cost saving for us in Sydney was about 30%, no idea what it is in Adelaide.

I think it is time for governments to allow a bit of competition and to loosen the tax strap on the Taxi industry.

Old 17-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In principle I think it's a good idea. However, if you are seriously injured whilst using this service, do they carry the correct (business & liability) insurance cover ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I believe in Adelaide the service has been given the green light by govco after the initial uproar and bun fight but they had to meet certain criteria and have done so apparently. At least, that was my understanding.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I registered with them as a driver when they were launched here but never went through with it. I have used a similar system in Germany as a pasieenger and it was brilliant.

The authorities and taxi industry and very angry and I have read of several Sydney drivers being fined $1000 each for 'providing a taxi service for financial benefit without the correct licensing' (or similar).

Yes, but the company is paying the fines for the drivers. Theres very little chance that the governments are going to able to stop it, due to the financial might behind Uber (Ie google and large US banks). Uber is no less safe than any of the taxis out there, it simply comes down to certain parties trying to protect their own interests.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A mate of mine drove for uber over the christmas -new year period to make ends meet. He's given away nows he's back at work, he was averaging over $400 a day and new years eve made $660 for a nights work.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may also have flow on to the courier industry as well...
Old 17-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
This may also have flow on to the courier industry as well...
Can't see how, tracking & delivery guarantee would require a process at the delivery end to ensure payment; unless you accompany your package

Old 17-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Can't see how, tracking & delivery guarantee would require a process at the delivery end to ensure payment; unless you accompany your package
The GPS you mentioned in an earlier post would be useful and the identity of the driver would also be known. Pre pay with some of the widely used electronic payment systems in place.
Taxis are already used as a delivery in some cases.
cheers
Bill.
Old 17-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
The GPS you mentioned in an earlier post would be useful and the identity of the driver would also be known. Pre pay with some of the widely used electronic payment systems in place.
Taxis are already used as a delivery in some cases.
cheers
Bill.
True but I doubt that it would be financially viable, especially as the courier business is very competitive at the moment. Whereas the Taxi industry has no price difference between each company, so no true and evident competition.

Old 17-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Yes, but the company is paying the fines for the drivers. Theres very little chance that the governments are going to able to stop it, due to the financial might behind Uber (Ie google and large US banks). Uber is no less safe than any of the taxis out there, it simply comes down to certain parties trying to protect their own interests.
I didn't know that the company footed the fine. I guess there would still be the record of the offence with the driver?

I would do it in a heart beat to be honest.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
A mate of mine drove for uber over the christmas -new year period to make ends meet. He's given away nows he's back at work, he was averaging over $400 a day and new years eve made $660 for a nights work.
That's awesome.
I work 4 days a week and would love to drive my own car for 1 day a week earning extra some money. I hate doing regular overtime and I enjoy driving, plus because of my rotating shift work I couldn't get a second job because my availability is drastically different every week. Although I don't know how many passengers would want a dual cab ute as their taxi.
I would love to give it a go if the legality and insurance issue was sorted.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post