Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
TadKa
Wait? What?

Default Man dead in car river roll

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/car...-1225772518121

A 24-YEAR-OLD man is dead after a car went off an embankment at Warrandyte in Melbourne's outer north-east this morning.

Police say a late model silver Nissan was travelling east on Everard Drive when it lost control about 7.15am and went over an embankment.

The car fell about five metres before landing on its roof.

The only occupant in the car, a 24-year-old Warrandyte man, was killed.

Acting Senior Sergeant Trevor Glassburow from Doncaster police said that speed and the possibility of the driver not wearing a seatbelt appeared to be contributing factors.

"A message to take away from this, is to always drive within your capabilities, stick to the speed limit and always wear a seatbelt," he said.

A witness told 3AW radio the fall from the embankment would have been

"40 or 50 feet".
"It's a pretty horrific scene here," the witness said.

"The fall is probably 40 to 50 feet into the river bank, the Yarra River here in Warrandyte.

"It's quite a narrow road with lots of trees either side of the road."

The Police Major Collision Investigation Unit is investigating the incident.

The road toll for 2009 now stands at 207, 10 less than at the same time last year.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit

Reckon that's an R35 GTR? Pretty quick and expensive car for a 24 year old.
But then again I suppose Lewis Hamilton is 24.

TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Looks like a 350/370Z to me

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
SVTVNM
Guzzler

looks like 350z?
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
looks like 350z?
Ahh yeah you're probably right. It's too short for Gtr.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

looking at the curved boot. the slight glimst of the headligh/open bonnet and wheels i'd say definattly a 350z.

24 yo. driving a ricer along a nce curvy road early in the morning: definaly speeding.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Corzza

350Z

Poor guy would have had serious head injury

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
lostdude

its a 350z, it was on the news before.
They showed images of the car being put onto a tow truck.
Old 14-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definately a 350z. Whatever the cause of the accident was the driver must have done something a bit wrong - unfortunantly he paid for it with his lief..

Good to see that the Sergeant said "always drive within your capabilities" instead of just blaming the whole thing on speed.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
24 yo. driving a ricer along a nce curvy road early in the morning: definaly speeding.
I live just one minute away and use that road almost every week to get to the IGA. Everard Drv is actually not that tightly curvy. It runs along the Yarra With the tree lined drop down to the river one side and a high raised embakment with driveways to the other.

It is very Bumpy, with surface undulations and fast long turns in the road. People often walk their dogs on this road and because its so tree lined you do not see them until you round the bends, so driving fast here is foolish. Near where this bloke went of the road on one side is a quick mid corner dip about 1m x 1m where the road has collapsed about 25cm - 30cm at its deepest and subsequent rise at the end of the dip which is VERY hard to see until you drive over it, your chassis near hits the ground and almost immediately the car feels lighter and unstable on one side as you travel over the raised section at the end. This is at the SPEED LIMIT. And this dip has been there for AGES!

I'd imagine he's come round the bend way too fast, hit that Depression mid corner, chassis has smacked the ground (There is some clear steel to ashphalt scrapes in the road before the tyre marks start) which has fatally unsettled the car and he's lost it.

Tragic. And a very very narrow and dangerous road.

I've already had three calls family and friends checking whether I am still alive as the news has been saying 24 YO Warrandyte man with Silver Sports car :
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

wow, he must not have been a regular user of the road, but yes one should drive to their capabilities and know the road they are driving well before taking it on, it is sad such a young life.
this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
ford_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victorian police would say that speed was a factor in an accident where a tree fell on a parked car.

Yes it looks like a 350Z-DE but no one except the driver was actually there so until there is a forensic investigation everything is an assumption.

Did he swerve to miss a dog/skippy/kid on pushy/giraffe at 20km/h under the limit?
Did he black out or stroke or cramp or have a sneeze attack or whatever?

Did he swerve to miss a 27 year old road safety expert in a focus zetec coming the other way on the wrong side of the daydreaming about how much better he was than ricers.

This man was:
somebody's son
somebody's boyfriend/husband
somebody's brother
somebody's friend

Have some respect.

Rest in peace...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Who gets custody of the car if the owner was deceased in the crash?
The insurers or the estates executors.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said in another thread on this that was closed, that road is just near me.

As most of the non-main roads are, they are about 1 and a half cars wide, no gutters - therefore most roads have unformed edges, really just tarmac slapped down on the ground for the sake of it as a lot of those roads were unsurfaced not long ago.

As said by Danny, the road is pretty bad and unless you live round here you probably wouldn't realize how bad it actually is - especially if its a bit wet like it would've been this morning.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Victorian police would say that speed was a factor in an accident where a tree fell on a parked car.

Yes it looks like a 350Z-DE but no one except the driver was actually there so until there is a forensic investigation everything is an assumption.

Did he swerve to miss a dog/skippy/kid on pushy/giraffe at 20km/h under the limit?
Did he black out or stroke or cramp or have a sneeze attack or whatever?

Did he swerve to miss a 27 year old road safety expert in a focus zetec coming the other way on the wrong side of the daydreaming about how much better he was than ricers.

This man was:
somebody's son
somebody's boyfriend/husband
somebody's brother
somebody's friend

Have some respect.

Rest in peace...
Great post flappist

it is a sad world to see a life lost

malazn mafia........ you are a sad sad excuse for a human... That would have to be one of the worst things i have seen posted here on aff

grow up and get some respect for human life

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Swamp Rat

wow that post was deleted quick, he obviously hasnt seen or known anyone who was killed in a car crash

2 mitsubishi express vans

Project VF 770 Hardtop,440 big block,727 torque flite
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
The insurers or the estates executors.
Thanks for the info, but apologies to anyone offended by my post.. In retrospect, this was not the appropriate place for discussion about such matters, and detracts from the ultimate tragic loss of life that occurred.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_maiden
wow, he must not have been a regular user of the road, but yes one should drive to their capabilities and know the road they are driving well before taking it on, it is sad such a young life.
Agree, its such a waste of a life. dont agree with the sentiment that 'one should know the road well before taking it on" .
It is a public road, its not a race/test track for those that want to test their cars limits of adhesion etc.

While we dont know everything about the accident, police at the scene estimate the speed of the vehicle was in excess of 100km/h, (only the fools can argue that speed was the not contributing factor here) and that indeed it appears fortunate that no innocent dog walker, pedestrian was caught up in the foolishness of the act, though of course there will be someone here who will claim that it was some other slow moving object destroying the racing line that caused the accident :rolleyes:
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Tragic accident...unfortunate loss of a life. I dont really care why or how it happened...I just know it is truely sad for family and friends of the man who lost his life.

I agree with Flappist on this one, to play guess what caused the accident is in poor taste.

R.I.P.
Old 15-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #19
T3man
Banned

Tragic - to speculate on how it happened is just a minefield. There's nothing yet to say it was his fault ie traveling outside his or the car's capabilities or whether there was another "cause" beyond his control.

Either way, the one pertinent question to me is, WHY THE F WASN'T HE WEARING A SEAT BELT? OK, landing on it's roof after a 5m drop may have been "the end" even with a seatbelt on, but at least it may have given him some slight chance. Regardless of what else he did, he really didn't do himself any favours by driving "naked."
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Near where this bloke went of the road on one side is a quick mid corner dip about 1m x 1m where the road has collapsed about 25cm - 30cm at its deepest and subsequent rise at the end of the dip which is VERY hard to see until you drive over it, your chassis near hits the ground and almost immediately the car feels lighter and unstable on one side as you travel over the raised section at the end. This is at the SPEED LIMIT. And this dip has been there for AGES!
But you won't read about that in the paper.

Quote:
While we dont know everything about the accident, police at the scene estimate the speed of the vehicle was in excess of 100km/h, (only the fools can argue that speed was the not contributing factor here) and that indeed it appears fortunate that no innocent dog walker, pedestrian was caught up in the foolishness of the act, though of course there will be someone here who will claim that it was some other slow moving object destroying the racing line that caused the accident
Doesn't stop you playing the guessing game, I guess.

Truth of the matter is, we don't know all the factors involved in this accident. Until such time as we do, it's tasteless to try and assume causes of this accident that has cost a life.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #21
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105

Truth of the matter is, we don't know all the factors involved in this accident. Until such time as we do, it's tasteless to try and assume causes of this accident that has cost a life.
Not assuming anything, the police person that spoke in the media report that I saw gave us their opinion on how fast the vehicle was travelling and commented that this speed was most certainly a factor.

Of course there will be car enthusiasts here who will argue that the police are all cretons and know nothing and in cases such as this.

They will try and downplay the most likely causes of the accident in the ridiculous idea that if the accident is put down to some other cause(or hushed up a the time) that it will validate their own distorted idea that speeding is okay for self proclaimed driving experts such as themselves and rid speed cameras from their lives etc.

Of course these same people carry on about how we shouldnt make any comment about what happened, its going to compromise the investigation?, or its tastelss, but any comments such as the road was dangerous, that ignore the most likely cause etc are welcomed with open arms....not tasteless anymore,hypocrites!

Look at the basic story so far, young driver, fast car, twisty road notorious for above combo going to fast and losing control, and initial police report based on damage suggests excessive speed, most likely scenario?

Any death on our roads involves a full investigation by police and the coroner, thank goodness for that..

Will people such as yourself be posting back here on the findings of the coroner's report in 6months time, because it wont be what they want to hear?

Last edited by torbirdie; 15-09-2009 at 06:53 AM.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
But you won't read about that in the paper.
Look while you're dead right, It is very clear the guy was speeding (even though this depression in the road IS unsettling even whilst doing the speed limit). Foolish decision with a tragic outcome and you really have to feel for the fam.

I daresay that they will leave the road as is even if the condition of it was seen to be contributing.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post