Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jumped ship with new car.

I did not know whether this is the appropriate place, but I thought some may be interested in my experiences after jumping ship - that is, buying a HSV after 6 fords in a row for a daily driver.

I was after a replacement for my BF xr6t, which has served as my daily driver and clocked up 200,000km. It has won 2 super-street drag championships here in Tasmania, towed a 2.7 tonne disco series 2 on a trailer from Scamander to south of hobart, as well as quite a few track days at Symmons plains and Baskerville. It still makes over 300rwkw, despite having only minor mods, and it has never needed oil added between services - it just does not use any. It has also been incredibly reliable. BUT...it clunks whines, clunks, and chews up tyres on the inside edge despite repeated alignments and replacement of bushes. I have tried to find one particular clunk since 25,000km in the rear and have never fixed it. Now the front end has accumulated another clunk, and a squeak. And I am getting sick of it. And at 200,000km, i just don't quite trust it like I used to. So time to move on.

What to buy - I priced a new xr6t, which was $40,600. Not bad. But then I would need Brembos, new wheels, tune, injectors, and cat to get close to what I already had - and it would still have a povvo pack interior. Hmmmm

Asked on a new GT - and was quoted $85,000!!!1 Ummm are they serious? Yes it would be very nice, but at that price? And the fuel economy is not the best at around 15l per 100km.

How about a second hand rs4 - I loooove those things! $70,000 gets me into one, with less than 100,000km. The down sides are costs of services, insurance costs, and modification costs. I know i don't have to modify it, but i can't help myself! An exhaust? Try $5,000 for a good one. Supercharger? Try $25,000. And even then it will only make just over 300rwkw!
OK, I think I will pass....

So I wander into the HSv dealership, where they are running out the E3 HSV clubsport stuff. New, manual, 317kw, interior not too bad, big brakes, and its a v8 - i miss driving a v8 daily as my last 3 have been xr6 turbos.
Price - $54,600!

So I sign and drive away...

1,500 km and I now have a good impression of the car. It is quiet. It also rides very well. It is also a bogan magnet! Every dropkick with their hat on backwards and their pants hanging below their bum cheeks wants to race! I never have this problem in the turbo - it is debadged, quiet, and is almost invisible to them. But this? Everyone with ss on their bootlid wants to see if their twin 3 inch exhaust makes it better than a clubsport. God it gets tiring. So much so that i am removing the rear wing and putting a senator one on, as well as getting rid of the 317 badge. Maybe then they will assume i am an old fella and not into that kind of thing.
The handling is great - it is supple and forgiving. It allows plenty of scope for midcorner changes, as well as bumps and potholes. You can feel the limits of adhesion easily, and it doesn't punish you for your mistakes.
The you listen to it - and when you wring the daylights out of it, it still sounds rubbish! I need to fix that after the spoiler.
And it is slow. Compared to the turbo, it really is slow - try 13.2 over the quarter. That is really hopeless for 317 KW!
But the upside is the fuel economy is way better than the sticker says - i'm getting 11.25L per 100km at the moment, which is very reasonable. This will probably change once Im finished modifying it, but at the moment I'm happy with it.

So on the weekend I got back into my BA series 1 GTP. 25,000km on the odo and it is 10 years old next year!
And didn't i love it! Yeehah! The noise! The feel of it coming into it's power range! The way it is so chuckable and fun!
That is why I only bring it out on special weekends, and I treasure it every time i drive it.

Then i drove the xr6t again. Clunk. Squeak, Clunk, ZF cold and can't decide if it wants to lock up or not, clunck....
Then i go to overtake a slow driver doing 70km/h, and i boot it....and it kicks down 3 gears and lights up the tyres! Fishtailing past the idiot doing 70 in a 100 zone my grin returns, and i remember why i loved it. Then it clunks as i turn into my driveway and i remember why i am selling it. I love it, i hate it.

So that is my story of changing manufacturers. I love my Fords, but I also hate the build quality on the turbo, and the fact that the FPV stuff is so expensive. I would love another ford for a daily, but i think i may have left the nest and may never come back.

E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Jumped ship with new car.

Despite what others may say, the HSV is a nice car

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Benno73
Sneaky

Hmm, i feel your pain, and understand your gain.

i was actually driving along this morning and once again looking at the HSV product on the street and shaking my head in disbelief as to the fact simple things on my ford like tyre sizes are behind the times yet i wouldn't have that problem in a bogan magnet.
i do like the Holden product and have admired some of their work, wouldn't touch the six i thought, would love the eight, but then sighed as it's not an overhead cam eight. just me, but something with the overhead cam tickles me ever since i owned a 76 450SE Merc some years back.
then i slapped myself and remembered i'll probably end up buying a euro when they stop making the Barra.

Nice work champ, good to hear your still enjoying the Old GTP still.
Old 31-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post
BUT...it clunks whines, clunks, and chews up tyres on the inside edge despite repeated alignments and replacement of bushes. I have tried to find one particular clunk since 25,000km in the rear and have never fixed it. Now the front end has accumulated another clunk, and a squeak. And I am getting sick of it.
That's the biggest flaw with these cars- the suspension is made of glass. Hopefully the HSV will be kinder to you.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

So elaborate more on how the Ba GT is a better car than E3 HSV.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Mate, I might have done something very similar if I had not found a dealer principal low km GT-E at a good price (65k drive away)
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Product differentiation is something HSV have just right......
Old 31-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Product differentiation is something HSV have just right......
Nailed.

Hope its enjoyable for you. I think they look good with the exception on the vents.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
So elaborate more on how the Ba GT is a better car than E3 HSV.

It has a much nicer feel - the plastics are nicer, the dials look classier, the seats hug me better, and the sound is waaay better. The stereo is much better, and it makes you feel like you are in a special car. The HSv just feels like a nicer commodore. The clutch take-up is much more progressive, and the gears shift like they are oiled better. The HSv is notchy, short in throw and the clutch take-up is hard to tell at times. The pedal position is also an easy win to the FPV.
Finally, the missus and the kids ALL agree that they like the GT better. Go figure?

Anyhow, having punted the GTP around the track, i can argue it really is just as quick as the HSV stuff (Ask Tex).
As for the xr6t around the track - that was damn hard work and lethal! One wrong move and it bit, especially mid corner coming on boost!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good read mate but 85000 for a new GT???
Old 31-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I think they look good even with the vents.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

You reckon it feels slow, wait to we line up side by side LOL, then it will look slow as well! Bye bye silver slugger!

Tell you what, if you came and drove mine as discussed, and made me an offer in the last week or two...... it would have been yours!

Food for thought...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
You reckon it feels slow, wait to we line up side by side LOL, then it will look slow as well! Bye bye silver slugger!

Tell you what, if you came and drove mine as discussed, and made me an offer in the last week or two...... it would have been yours!

Food for thought...
WHAT????

I been busier than a cat at Tassal lately! What's up with the scud?
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 31-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
sixman

85k?? Was it an R- spec??
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
85k?? Was it an R- spec??
Sorry, that was a bit of a typo - that was a gtp. A GT was $75,000.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
sixman

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase.
I am here having come the other way - from a red V8 to a blue turbo 6...
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
Anyway, congrats on your new purchase.
I am here having come the other way - from a red V8 to a blue turbo 6...
You will love the grunt - i know I do! Especially once they have been woken up.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 31-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Nice write-up there GTPOwner
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Thanks for sharing bud. Shame you jumped the fence but i seriously considered a similar deal only on a 325 clubby. My old turbo ute was on par power wise though and then found the rspec and did a deal the was to good to turn up.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couldn't do it myself, but good luck with the Holden
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Refreshingly honest and unbiased read.................
Old 31-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good write up, yes it is amazing how we can hop out of one similar car and love certain things about it and then hop into a similar yet different brand/type and love or dislike completely different things ,
just wondering if an fg XR6T models would have been improved on the driveline clunk, the later models have a damper on the tranny output shaft don't they ??
The commy looks like good value anyway, and regardless of the badge as long as you enjoy it that is all that matters, congrats on the new limo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post

So I wander into the HSv dealership, where they are running out the E3 HSV clubsport stuff. New, manual, 317kw, interior not too bad, big brakes, and its a v8 - i miss driving a v8 daily as my last 3 have been xr6 turbos.
Price - $54,600!

the fact that the FPV stuff is so expensive. I would love another ford for a daily, but i think i may have left the nest and may never come back.

What about a GS? I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for around 55K...just don't go to the dealer with the 85k GT

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Your only pain is when you go to off load it. HSV vehicles are supposed to be the biggest depreciating cars on the market............ but I'm sure FPR cars aren't real flash either.....
Old 31-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

I bought FG2 GT brand new for $66k... Dont know how you can jump fence, not even a thought of that would cross my mind... Good luck with it see you when you get into a GT hahah...

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
DMENTDGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Anyone think (and I'm dealing with one right now) that FPV dealers aren't really trying hard to sell cars? I'm in the GS space, GT is out of my reach. Things haven't changed since last time I looked 12 months ago.
Old 31-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
What about a GS? I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for around 55K...just don't go to the dealer with the 85k GT
Yes I considered the GS. The same problems exist as for the turbo - povvo pack interior, and a need to upgrade the brakes (and hence wheels) to make it brake like it should. That alone is around $6K to fix.
And I irritates the daylights out of me that the turbo only came with a single CD player!!!! I don't like the sound from an ipod. I like my cds. The hsv has a single cd slot, but it can store 14, so i have an effective 15 CD stacker in the car. As well as the Ipod dock. And usb dock. And other gizmos like the tyre pressure sensors. I like that kind of stuff in my cars.

As for the comment on depreciation - my BF xr6t was $49,000 new. Trade in was offered at around $6K. You can't tell me that the Fords do not depreciate just as much. I will keep this for 200,000km then upgrade it then. Resale value will not be important. My XR6T is for sale, but i dont care if no-one wants to pay for it. I will use the good bits for other projects around the shed. An XB with big brembos and a 500hp turbo 6 = yes please!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I think Jasons loyaltys are proven, he's a Ford Man

But he's also a car man, and reallity is, he wanted a good bases with which to make a swift motorcar. At the price he's paid for the Chubby, there's another 20+k in the kitty to play hardware swapsies (compared to buying a new GT) and I'll bet my rego papers he ends up with something at least as fun, most probably faster - in a straightline - and around bends than any stock GT. R Spec included.

I don't think Jason gives a flying goats fart about depreciation, he's bought the car for purely selfish reasons. Investment and transport - happy bedfellows an enthusiast does not keep.

I can't wait to drive it, race it, and watch the way the big fella twin turbos the *** off the thing and runs 11 second passes while also cutting lap times I can only hope (and do my best!) to achieve.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #29
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Your only pain is when you go to off load it. HSV vehicles are supposed to be the biggest depreciating cars on the market............ but I'm sure FPR cars aren't real flash either.....
I have also jumped ship (Gen-F SC (340) Tourer). During this process, a mate of mine who is a used car salesman (and a Ford nut) said that the Ford (& FPV) were hard as hell to get rid of, and his boss would not touch my FG GT.

(ps. Wanted a wagon, hence HSV Tourer)
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Good time to buy a VE HSV, well done on your purchase. Having just driven a VF SS redline manual, cannot stand the clutch, no feel. If the 2014 GT/XR8 is disappointing, I'll be in a VF as well.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post