Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Hyundai Genesis here July

Holden and Ford may be struggling to sell rear-wheel drive large sedans but that hasn’t stopped Hyundai confirming it will add the Genesis sedan to its Australian line-up in July.

The second generation Genesis, officially unveiled at the Detroit motor show, will be available in Australia with a 232kW 3.8-litre V6 petrol engine. Neither the 5.0-litre V8 nor all-wheel drive systems, available in left-hand drive markets, will be offered in Australia.

Hyundai claims the Genesis will be its most luxurious model and be equipped with “segment-leading technology” – but hasn’t revealed full technical details for local models yet, including whether it will be available with the Google Glass Blue Link app that was revealed at last week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Advertisement

But the company has said standard gear will include “smart” cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot detection and heads-up display. Inside there will be a 9.2-inch touchscreen to control the infotainment system and satellite navigation.

It will also come with i-Driving Mode Integrated Control which offers the driver the option to tailor the transmission mapping, throttle response, stability control and suspension settings in four pre-set modes – Normal, Eco, Sport and Snow.

Hyundai Australia CEO John Elsworth believes the Genesis will be capable of competing against European luxury cars. In America the car is pitched against the likes of the Lexus GS, BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

“This high-tech machine is the ideal showcase for what Hyundai can do, and is a superbly-engineered car, fit to rival the best from Europe at a substantially more accessible price point."

The new Genesis features a new multi-link rear suspension system which will be tuned specifically for Australian roads by Hyundai Australia’s team of experts.

Hyundai Australia will reveal pricing and final specifications closer to its mid-year launch.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0qb1.html#poll

Last edited by csv8; 24-01-2014 at 10:27 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai Genesis here July

Should be a great car, really showing hyundai is comming of age despite what the detractors will say.Will only sell in niche volumes in AU, much like commodore/falcon.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it so hard to tell customers it will take X months for a V8 version, have it shipped over at a significantly higher price and take the customers money? Why no V8?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Rodge
Banned

Hyundai need to hire some good local people to set up the suspension properly.
John Bowe would be a good hire in my opinion.

Untill they take setting up their cars suspension seriously, it will be a flop like every other large Hyundai sedan to date.

Comparing it to an E Class Merc or BMW 5 Series

Last edited by Rodge; 18-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Hyundai need to hire some good local people to set up the suspension properly.
John Bowe would be a good hire in my opinion.

Untill they take setting up their cars suspension seriously, it will be a flop like every other large Hyundai sedan to date.

Comparing it to an E Class Merc or BMW 5 Series
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C2000065856
Old 18-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No surprise we don't get the AWD version here. We saw plenty of AWD Chrysler 300C's in Vegas and surrounding areas (they had plenty of badges on them and were very visible), but we don't get that one here either. Primarily to do with the way the steering is set up I believe (not enough room on the other side of the car), but secondarily because of our ridiculous restriction on treating people like adults and letting people drive brand new LHD cars.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I had the pleasure of the use of a BMW 750i M Sport for the weekend late last year. Its light years ahead of anything Hyundai are capable of.
Any attempt by Hyundai to try and lift their profile by brand association is a pathetic and desperate marketing attempt in my opinion that only a select few "rocket scientists" will be gullible enough to believe. I'm ashamed to admitt I owned a Hyundai Samnte Fe many years ago, I needed a cheap tow vehicle SUV...and just like my mother told me as a little fella, "the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a bargain"...they really are a third rate bit of kit.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I had the pleasure of the use of a BMW 750i M Sport for the weekend late last year. Its light years ahead of anything Hyundai are capable of.
Any attempt by Hyundai to try and lift their profile by brand association is a pathetic and desperate marketing attempt in my opinion that only a select few "rocket scientists" will be gullible enough to believe. I'm ashamed to admitt I owned a Hyundai Samnte Fe many years ago, I needed a cheap tow vehicle SUV...and just like my mother told me as a little fella, "the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a bargain"...they really are a third rate bit of kit.
I assume you know the Genesis is rubbish and no match for a beemer or merc because you have driven one...... right?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
That's right, BMW should be light years ahead they, Mercedes, Lexus and Audi are bench marks for prestige cars so many car makers use them as a marketing ploy to lift their profile (how often do we hear members here claiming their Falcon/Commodore is better than the equivalent German without owning one let alone driving it?).
Hyundai may not be there yet, but it is pure arrogance to think they won't improve. They are one of very few car makers that have advanced hand over fist in the past decade. They truly delivered rubbish cars in the past but now they are learning and spending the dollars to fix that. It may take them a few more to really come close to the claim of a 5 series competitor but laughing and ignoring them will be at your peril.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect it will sell as well as other non Falcon and Commodore large sedans
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Spurious

Hyundai, you'd better.....

better get me a bucket...BLUUUUUUUUURRRRR
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It looks alright, not a fan of V6 only though.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
It looks alright, not a fan of V6 only though.
It would have been an educated financial decision not to bring the v8 here. Perhaps they are gaging the market and waiting till 2017 to bring in the v8.

Old 19-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

I'd get a v8 one
Old 19-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car companies attitude towards aus car market"you will get what your given and b happy with it"
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #16
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai's Phaeton
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #17
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I'd only be interested in a V8 version if anything but yeah Hyundai does nothing for me.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #18
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I assume you know the Genesis is rubbish and no match for a beemer or merc because you have driven one...... right?
No because I know they have nowhere near the engineering or chassis design expertise of the German's who have been working with the best engineering minds for many decades and investing tens of billions of dollars on R&D over many, many decades to get where they are today.
Old 20-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
FGXR6TUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa View Post
I'd only be interested in a V8 version if anything but yeah Hyundai does nothing for me.
Nor me really, but I have to say the Genesis we had as a rental while in the US in Feb. last year showed me it was quite a competent car, it was the V6 with 8 speed auto, and certainly made a mockery of the older Cadillac V8 4 speed auto we had rented prior to it.

The updated version, a V8 and with a local suspension tune (which they are doing after sister Kia's success employing an Aussie tuner) could just be worthy of consideration. If history is anything to go by it'll have the Falcon licked for reliability, and be backed with a 5 year unlimited km warranty.
Old 20-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Hawkeye84

Guys, the Genesis's benchmark is BMWs, Mercedes, Audi.
Its aint going to steal their customer base. I dont see a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Lexus owner saying to himself "Im going to buy a Hyundai Genesis".

However, i do see it eating into whats remaining of the Calais/G6E/Aurion market share,

Looking at the small/medium car segment now, im sure the Genesis will be better priced and well equipped. Another thing the local Large car manufacturers will have to keep a close eye on
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

To me, this a good looking car, with a strong V6 engine. As long as the interior is of a reasonable finish I would certainly look at it.
Old 20-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #22
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oddly, i don't mind the look of it. If it had a prestige badge on it, i think it would sell well for the right price...
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #23
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Peter Schreyer was once head of design at Audi and Volkswagen, now leading the way at Hyundai and it shows in there latest cars, it looks very modern.

Design is not just the most visible aspect of the car, but it’s an area customers have a strong emotional connection to. It is at the center of our efforts to enhance our brand value.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article heads with "Holden and Ford may be struggling to sell rear-wheel drive large sedans"
Well not really, Commodore has been the second best-selling car for quite some time.
The issue is what it costs to produce the car here, a problem Hyundai won’t have.

It would be interesting to see what the price tag will be if its pitched against the high end Euros, wouldn’t it be funny having to fork out Luxury car tax on a Hyundai. it shows how far they have come in the last few years.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
No because I know they have nowhere near the engineering or chassis design expertise of the German's who have been working with the best engineering minds for many decades and investing tens of billions of dollars on R&D over many, many decades to get where they are today.
they have a development centre at Russelsheim, and they are building a centre at the Nurburgring. The i30 we had was easily as good as any other c-segment car I've driven, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are catching up or overtaking BMW or Mercedes.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

I'll make a prediction that Hyundai will not make a road car to rival the equivalent BMW/Mercedes in the Small, Medium, Large , and sports car segment in my life time. (Not talking value for money here, just the overall car).

All that being said, 10 years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai. Now, if they made a car I was interested in, I'd be happy to have one.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
No.
Thought as much.

Old 20-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai and Kia are clearly evolving in leaps and bounds. But so far its mainly been style driven progress - they have the cash to poach talented and proven stylists from the Euro brands and as a result are churning out some pretty good looking cars.

It's not until they start poaching engineers from Europe (if they haven't already) that they'll start to get close to the established Euro brands. They still fare poorly in every comparison test I've read, but no doubt this will change. They'll never overtake the likes of BMW or Mercedes though - those brands are moving forward at an impressive rate themselves.

I'd never by a Korean car as they stand today, but in the future who knows...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #29
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad, people still think Hyundai doesn't know what its doing. I'd take a Genesis over a Volvo or Audi any day. E-series? I'd have to drive both. Anyone who simply bets on a badge anymore is an idiot.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I love how people are so ignorantly naïve to assume that just because the company is Korean, its cars are terrible and lack "the engineering or chassis design expertise of the German's"...

The world doesn't develop in a bubble, that "engineering or chassis design expertise" doesn't recognise international boarders. The Koreans hire the people with the "engineering or chassis design expertise" to build cars that can rival the Germans.

It's a bit like saying Ford is an American company and can't build quality cars...the Falcon didn't get to where it is today by just using local minds and problem solving, lots of euro design and engineering has gone into it.

Its also good to note...the largest German automotive manufacturer is not one of the warm and fuzzy big name luxury brands.

Its Volkswagen, who made it of the ground buy building cheap consumable cars that people could buy.

Just like Hyundai.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post: