Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default VF SS COMMADORES everywhere !!!!

i'm seeing them all throughout sydney . v8 SS SEDANS . they look good . i dont know they are selling , there are more of em on the road than HSV'S , FPV'S .
there is a llittle bit of evidence that australians still want A V8 SEDAN .
MUST BE COST . I DUNNO . FEEL BAD THAT WE ARE GOING TO LOOSE EM .
BIT LIKE LOSING BLONDE BLUE EYED AUSSIES WITH SHORT SHORTS AND BIG CLEAVAGE .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
stevz
Banned

Default Re: VF SS COMMADORES everywhere !!!!

When people use the term "nobody wants large sedans anymore" it's usually just an excuse to make themselves feel better about driving some horrible buzz box or overpriced but inferior import. There may not be enough demand to sustain production, but the rwd large sedan, especialy the V8 versions, will remain a timeless classic that will never go out of fashion.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Ur comparing a ****** Holden to a hot girl with big tits what is wrong with u I'd rather ride the girl any day
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Seen maybe a handful of SV6's thats about it. No where near the same amount when VE was released.
I do like VF SS's looks though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noticed this myself, validates Fords decision to drop the GT and resurrect the XR8.

Will be interesting to see how sales pan out for the SS and XR8, there's certainly a niche market for a cheap, hipo large sport sedan at the moment but are they new model sales combined with end of an era sales I wonder?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Bowser22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Ur comparing a ****** Holden to a hot girl with big tits what is wrong with u I'd rather ride the girl any day
Fun would last longer in the car....
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

Maybe for u ;)
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

What's a commAdore????

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Easier to see what catches ones eye when its surrounded by a sea of grey & white.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I see heaps here in Boganville.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

See loads of SS here in Adelaide unsurprisingly. The other day I saw 3 GTS's within a few hundred meters.
Still can't handle the rear end, looks ridiculous .
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
strik9
aka fpv747

its because the interior of the ss is nearly as good as the hsv. bar the seats . value for money is my guess.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Must admit they do look ok when you option up the bigger spoiler on the sedans, and bigger wheels. Bang for buck performance, especially the Redline edition
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

The US gets a better optioned car with the 6.2litre for $45 grand and it’s made in Australia.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...80760_20131212
Old 22-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
zilo
BANNED

15-20 L /100km with average performance, should sell well....for a little while.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
15-20 L /100km with average performance, should sell well....for a little while.
Average performance? What are you smoking?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
There may not be enough demand to sustain production, but the rwd large sedan, especialy the V8 versions, will remain a timeless classic that will never go out of fashion.

Which is why I think the Holden faithful will get an overseas made version of their hero. Not enough demand for local production, but enough to be included if they're making them for other markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Same performance as a fg xr6t....don't think I've ever seen them described as 'average'

I've seen heaps of vf's around as well, and a surprising amount of gts's.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Looks like they're selling pretty well.

Definitely a good bang for bucks proposition.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Same performance as a fg xr6t....don't think I've ever seen them described as 'average'
I've driven both and prefer the FG.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Guilty as charged. I've always considered myself a Ford fan, but I don't get into the Ford vs Holden garbage (because being a Ford fan doesn't mean you need to hate Holdens!), I appreciate both brands and the rear drive Aussie muscle they bring to the table. I just buy the best car for the money and enjoy it. After a number of FGs, this is my first Commodore purchase and I must say, this VF is very, very good. Hats off to Holden. What you get for 40-something grand is hard to beat.

Now regarding the notion of "average performance" compared to an FG XR6 Turbo- I can't take anybody who says that seriously. I've owned both cars- not taken them around the block for a test drive- actually owned them. I drove my XR6T every day for years, including track and quarter mile stuff. I know exactly how fast they are. I've been driving around the VF for 6 weeks now and one thing is quite clear- it's every bit as quick as an XR6 Turbo before you start reaching quite high speeds (150+) where the turbo's torque starts to do it favours. Compared to the VE, the VF is a lighter, more aerodynamic car putting more power to the ground (no hydraulic power steering pump) with better engine and transmission tunes and Drive proved this by running a 13.1 at WSID. You'd be knocking on the door of a 12 second pass with E85 in the tank.

But that's only one fraction of performance. The SS stops better with much better fade resistance from the stock brakes. It doesn't just beat the XR6T through the corners, it slaughters it. Compared to an FG, the engine sits lower & further back, the front wheels are further forward, it builds on the perfect 50/50 weight distribution of the VE but now with the bonnet/bootlid made from aluminium, plus new shocks, coils, sway bars, revised suspension components also made in aluminium, amazingly well tuned steering and the GM auto has finally managed to outshine the ZF - it's a very sweet thing to drive and it's topped off with that old-school pushrod V8 sound. Ford really have their work cut out for them with FH.

And for anyone who hasn't seen an FG side by side with a VF, I think the FG has aged very well.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

I've barely seen any around. But Kal seems to be turning into more of a JDM and 4X4 city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Guilty as charged. I've always considered myself a Ford fan, but I don't get into the Ford vs Holden garbage (because being a Ford fan doesn't mean you need to hate Holdens!), I appreciate both brands and the rear drive Aussie muscle they bring to the table. I just buy the best car for the money and enjoy it. After a number of FGs, this is my first Commodore purchase and I must say, this VF is very, very good. Hats off to Holden. What you get for 40-something grand is hard to beat.

Now regarding the notion of "average performance" compared to an FG XR6 Turbo- I can't take anybody who says that seriously. I've owned both cars- not taken them around the block for a test drive- actually owned them. I drove my XR6T every day for years, including track and quarter mile stuff. I know exactly how fast they are. I've been driving around the VF for 6 weeks now and one thing is quite clear- it's every bit as quick as an XR6 Turbo before you start reaching quite high speeds (150+) where the turbo's torque starts to do it favours. Compared to the VE, the VF is a lighter, more aerodynamic car putting more power to the ground (no hydraulic power steering pump) with better engine and transmission tunes and Drive proved this by running a 13.1 at WSID. You'd be knocking on the door of a 12 second pass with E85 in the tank.

But that's only one fraction of performance. The SS stops better with much better fade resistance from the stock brakes. It doesn't just beat the XR6T through the corners, it slaughters it. Compared to an FG, the engine sits lower & further back, the front wheels are further forward, it builds on the perfect 50/50 weight distribution of the VE but now with the bonnet/bootlid made from aluminium, plus new shocks, coils, sway bars, revised suspension components also made in aluminium, amazingly well tuned steering and the GM auto has finally managed to outshine the ZF - it's a very sweet thing to drive and it's topped off with that old-school pushrod V8 sound. Ford really have their work cut out for them with FH.

And for anyone who hasn't seen an FG side by side with a VF, I think the FG has aged very well.

Good write up, all very true. Looking at that pic though, the FG just looks so much nicer. VF's are just so bulky looking but have afront bar designed to try and make them look smaller.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

That photo doesn't even capture the full extent of how bulky the VF is- it sits like a tank next to the FG, particularly at the rear. In person the VF has a lot more presence, for better or for worse.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't tried it in mine yet, but I believe in sports mode the auto blips the throttle in downshifts. Have you tried this Adrenaline?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Rodge
Banned

I sat in a VF SS-V Redline the other day and was reasonably impressed.
Good bit of kit for the money I reckon. I'm seeing quite a lot of SS Commodores around Auckland.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
When people use the term "nobody wants large sedans anymore" it's usually just an excuse to make themselves feel better about driving some horrible buzz box or overpriced but inferior import. There may not be enough demand to sustain production, but the rwd large sedan, especialy the V8 versions, will remain a timeless classic that will never go out of fashion.
Large RWD imported sedans might be overpriced but are definitely not inferior :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I see a decent number of VFs kicking around. Usually SS/SSV with a sprinkling of SV6.

I'm not a big fan of the styling...everything forward of the A pillar is Ok. Everything back from the C pillar is a thumbs down. Overall the front, middle, and back just don't gel.

I was lent an auto SSV for a couple of days and was (no offence intended to anyone) thoroughly unimpressed (overall) in the end I couldn't wait to get out of it. It felt like I was driving a car with an identity crisis. Nice engine though, went like stink.

It's a shame that workable business cases for these big bad V8 taxis aren't/weren't possible, but my heart's not in anything other than Falcon's (and their arch rival) from 88-02.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:

Nice colour ;-)

I took my SS-V ute for it'd first decent drive, late yesterday, wow! So far it just keeps amazing me.

I've also noticed quite a few SS and Redline's getting around, I reckon that people are buying them because they are good value and a well built car with most of the latest tech items required for a long term cruiser.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Plenty of SV6's getting around my parts. They do look great.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I find it amazing how much the colour makes a difference with these cars, I have not seen a lighter coloured VF that I like, but all the dark coloured ones look great for some reason.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Motorbreath310

Quote:
You're making too much sense. Get out.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: