Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down How the hell is v8 Supercars going to help our local market

First off , i know competition can produce a better product but can we really compete on a world market?.I think a world market would crush our Aussie cars and the indentity of the Australian car.

I can see Nissan as being "a adverage mans car", but really Mercedes AMG. Who the hell is going to benafit from them?The rich mans team?the executive team?.

How will this all help sell more fords and holdens?, why are they talking this up to be so great?

Comments please.

P.s Mods.. I would like this thread to stay in the pub section and not motorsport section, I see this problem as a marketing one, never mind silly promo 100k cop cars, this will have far more effect on sales.

Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: How the hell is v8 Supercars going to help our local market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
First off , i know competition can produce a

How will this all help sell more fords and holdens?, why are they talking this up to be so great?
It won't guarantee Ford and Holden selling more cars locally, that's not the point to this.

What it does is secure the future of V8 Supercars for at least the next ten years
regardless of what happens locally with Holden and Ford. It's all about the V8 Supercars future...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Oh whinge whinge whinge....

Bringing more manufatures into the champion ship brings more money into the sport, makes it more viable.

Ford and holden have stripped back their commitments, as racing is only one form of marketing, notice Holden flogging off Barina's with Beauty and the geek?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Win on Sunday- Sell on Monday ended decades ago.
V8 supercars is not Motorsport, it's a traveling circus show!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Im thinking long term,not right now.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
AdamXR6

It has nothing to do with selling fords or holdens, v8sc is not a support mechanism for the Australian car manufacturers , it is a private corporation who r there to make money. Unfortunately for me as a race fan I see this as the start of the end, but only time will tell. There a reason tony cochrane has left the business.
2012 cool white px xlt ranger.
AdamXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

meh.. I lost interest in the series long ago..
maybe this will bring back some interest.. as long as it remains an option over golf or cricket.. I could care less
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't see it making any difference to local car marketing one way or the other, to my way of thinking we already have masses of imports here, a world market,if you like, it will be interesting to see parity arragements on the different cars.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Im thinking long term,not right now.
As time goes on, the chances of V8 Supercars influencing anyone's buying preferences will become even less...
Let's face it, they are becoming more stylized racing where everything is being controlled..that adds up to BORING.
Very safe car, big brakes, good tyres, more than enough engine power, super reliable vehicles = indian file racing.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

No different to Group N production, Group A, Group C, Group E...all involved multiple manufacturers.

After 20 years of a Ford V's Holden, the ATCC has turned full circle, back to include other manufactures...

\≡≡T≡≡/
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
EVLKNEVL

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if Ford will be allowed to run an alloy overhead cam engine like the new competition will be running?
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Slightly off topic, does anyone know if Ford will be allowed to run an alloy overhead cam engine like the new competition will be running?
Yes...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No different to Group N production, Group A, Group C, Group E...all involved multiple manufacturers.

After 20 years of a Ford V's Holden, the ATCC has turned full circle, back to include other manufactures...
Hyundai, Toyota, BMW, lots of other manufacturer's cars available to teams if they want to give it a shot,
heck maybe some Amreican teams with Chevrolet SS, Dodge Charger?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It won't guarantee Ford and Holden selling more cars locally, that's not the point to this.

What it does is secure the future of V8 Supercars for at least the next ten years
regardless of what happens locally with Holden and Ford. It's all about the V8 Supercars future...
So if your saying "v8 supercars" is in finacial trouble and the answer s to sell out on Aussie car makers, then what?.

Leave Australia and compete against Nascar or Pro-am cars?.

I guess it could be like Nascar, all have the same car but with "woolworths" and "coles" liveries.

Again im thinking about our local makets in this thread, I hear so much talk about protecting our jobs but the actions i see are of a opposite effect.

Am i the only one seeing a lack of vision?

You say the show isnt designed to sell cars but its driven by manifactorer's and their agenda's, millions of dollars in advertizing ect.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So if your saying "v8 supercars" is in finacial trouble and the answer s to sell out on Aussie car makers, then what?.
No, they want their business to grow, that can't happen with just Ford and Holden
Leave Australia and compete against Nascar or Pro-am cars?.
Who said V8 Supercars is leaving Australia, a couple of overseas races yes but the competition is based here
I guess it could be like Nascar, all have the same car but with "woolworths" and "coles" liveries.
Corporate engines, retains major parts of cars body work, and variations in tuning, handling, different drivers..

Again im thinking about our lacal makets in this thread, I hear so much talk about protecting our jobs but the actions i see are of a opposite effect.
V8 Supercars has nothing to do with sales of local V8 cars, I know that's a hard concept to get over
but the majority of people who go watch the race do not own V8 Fords or Holdens,, go figure hey.

Am i the only one seeing a lack of vision?

You say the show isnt designed to sell cars but its driven by manifactorer's and their agenda's, millions of dollars in advertizing ect.
Yes you are the one lacking vision, I see no point in continuing this discussion....
The money from Holden and Ford to teams is chicken feed compared to their annual budgets,
that's why you see lots of other sponsors on the cars...

Last edited by jpd80; 02-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because not everyone drives a ford or Holden that lives here ???

To me , these comments only come from the " holier than thou " breed of ford/Holden owner drivers . Whom think their ford is a one off car that is far superior than the other 20,000 identical models on our roads . ( nothing wrong with what we can afford , nothing wrong with being a proud owner of ) if that makes sense .

Nothing in either of the current ( and hash been for years ) ford/holdens have anything to do with their readily available road cars for sale from their respective showrooms / car lots .

So really the whole V8 supercar series has been irrelevant for over the last 10 years , since Holden haven't run a 5.0l engine since a VR series commodore ( closer to 15 yrs ) .

It's just a form of Motorsport for car enthusiasts to associate with ( dealer names and brandings ) , and enjoy watching and purchasing merchandise from those teams / manufacturers we follow nothing more nothing less .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:

Bringing more manufatures into the champion ship brings more money into the sport, makes it more viable.

Ford and holden have stripped back their commitments, as racing is only one form of marketing, notice Holden flogging off Barina's with Beauty and the geek?
No... Holden just read the contract that they allowed RD to submit.

Now they'll just have to pay him more money to keep him switching to another make.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Ford won't change yet, as the motors will be all brought to a similar power output anyway. The small simple windsor block will be best for now.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Ford won't change yet, as the motors will be all brought to a similar power output anyway. The small simple windsor block will be best for now.
DJR's engine builders have a bunch of Ford DOHC V8s they're working on...
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Windsor220
Now Fordless

People that follow racing already have their favourites and know what they want to buy. Other brands coming in aren't going to change much.

If anything Mercedes being in the category may help the locals. The people that don't know what's going on will think that they are at the same level as an AMG
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
V8 supercars is not Motorsport, it's a traveling circus show!
Post of the year!
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
zilo
BANNED

I go there for the jets flying overhead, the stunt motor cycles, the beer and more beer.

Then there's the bikini parade every 3 hours next to the VB tent.

The utes doing donuts on the straight....it's a great weekend.

Our crew of ten loyal fans have been going to Adelaide every year since the Grand Prix stopped...the grand prix was crap...this is entertainment.

Who cares who wins?

Give me noise, crashes, cute girls walking around and junk food!
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
robbyj
Rob

if ford/holden dominate the Mercedes/nissan, hell that might even convince more people to buy ford/holden.

I think it will still be a 2 badge race, Aussies Vs Imports. Can never tell what goes through a holden fans head but i presume if holden cant win the race, then they would prefer at least the other aussie car to win over the nissan/merc.

Introducing healthy competition will only benefit this. I might be bothered to watch more then 15 mins of a race now!
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post

I wonder if the imports will have a fuel economy advantage in the endurance events then?..
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

There was a reason I decided to attend Bathurst in 2012 rather than 2013.

But V8SC cares about V8SC, not FoA or Holden. They're trying to broaden the fan base internationally to make more money.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
tweeked
N/A all the way

Twenty years ago Falcons and Commodores accounted for close on 1 in 5 of new vehicle sales, now they would probably add up to 1 in 20, and heading south rapidly.

They had to bring in more manufacturers. In 4 or 5 years there may well be no rear drive V8's made here.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the input guys and helping me understand.

No v8s and green power, feels like the 1980's all over again.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Motorbreath310

V8SC is kinda boring anyway. The cars are that close in build and specification that it's pretty much a question of who has the better-managed team and the best drivers.

And besides, no one's going to go out and buy an Altima if it wins. If they do, there'll be questions asked as to why it's missing cylinders and dragging its ****.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #29
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
Can never tell what goes through a holden fans head but i presume if holden cant win the race, then they would prefer at least the other aussie car to win over the nissan/merc.
Don't know about that. If at any point during next year one of The Kellys are fighting against FPR or DJR for a win I'd still rather one of The Kellys to win due to old alliances.

I'm assuming a lot of Ford fans would feel similar if a SBR Merc was going against HRT or 888.

I wasn't around during the old days, but I guess it was the same thing when Moffat, Brock etc jumped around different manfacturers.

The Holden vs Ford rivalry will still be very strong IMO. I can't imagine a lot of Holden and Ford fans siding eachother against Nissan and Merc simply because the two teams representing those brands have a long history with Holden and Ford respectively.

If Nissan and Merc were bringing in two teams from overseas that maybe different.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
it's pretty much a question of who has the better-managed team and the best drivers.

Sums up just about every racing catagory...even production cars...ad money and it's more the truth.

What does it matter?

Nothing.

Thundering 4 door V8's, banging doors, sliding though corners...noise and fury.

Nothing wrong with that.

\≡≡T≡≡/
6 users like this post: