Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Does anybody read things anymore?

I am selling my Xbox 360 on ebay, it has a full description plus details in the titles. I get an email from someone who had already bid, asking if it was a certain size and rrod. I don't accept bids from users with 0 feedback but forgot to put this in my add (this is due to scammers) I sent an email back saying it was this size and no rrod, but I am really sorry I forogt to say in my ad no 0 feedback users and explained why. I cancelled all their bids and told them they had no obligation

Today I get an email saying no worroies I didn't want one with RROD anyway, do I still have to pay if I win.

So this made me rather annoyed, how bloody hard is it to read. I replied.

Hi

No you no longer have to pay as I pointed out to you in the last email. Furthermore when you ask me questions which are clearly answered multiple times in the description and in the very sale title itself, you set off alarm bells by also being a user with "0" feedback. Also I told you last night it did not have the RROD which is also in the description and yet you just told me fine I didn't want one with RROD anyway. You also bid on my item before asking said questions, in future if you are a legitimate user always read the title and description before bidding, because if you win and they have included something you have not read, which turns out means the item is no good to you, you have no recourse to claim your money back.

I am just so sick of getting messages from people on Ebay asking stupid questions that are answered in the details itself, not to mention I think I had 3 sentences in the whole thing.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Default Re: Does anybody read things anymore?

There are some tools on Ebay arent there. If I'm spending money on anything online I make sure to read it to see if it's what I want. Wouldn't you think it would be common sense.

Good luck with the sale.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Kryton

So a person that is new to Ebay, is still trying to figure it out, asks questions and that is an issue?
On the other hand too, there are some dead**** sellers who state their item has this and that, yet once it arrives it clearly doesnt - hence you need to ask those pesky "stupid" questions to make sure.
Its a 2 way street - if you dont like it, dont use Ebay.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 17-03-2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: swear filter
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I put in the description it is perfect working order, yet someone feels the need to ask if it is in perfect working order. Then reply explaining and get a reply clearly showing my reply was not read. I had no real issue with the first question, it was the reply I got clearly showing this person doesn't read that get's me annoyed.
Old 14-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Another thing if you are unsure is check a users feedback. I have 100% with about 100 transaction with 7 sales alone in this last few months all saying excellent seller etc. Surely that counts towards trusting the description is not false.
Old 14-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Haha, I have problems with people who sell items and do one of two things, don't put enough information in their ad, a.k.a wheels without a stud pattern or offset, or wear of the tyres..

Or eBay users who have most of the info that but plainly refuse to answer you or are unwilling to be helpful.

I was also un-aware of buying scammers on eBay, I was under the impression that you are held completely and utterly accountable by eBay and Paypal/Banks if you buy something?

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
lukerutten
DF LTD..... Luxury

some people just don't understand that but, I recently had to sell a fridge 3 times and report 2 buyers to ebay as non paying bidders..

They wouldn't even contact me over a period of a week to say sorry, can't pay or need more time etc.
lukerutten is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I used to send long, detailed email to people while overseas and get either no reply or 2 lines. Apparently, people can't process large chunks of data any more??

When I was advertising for housemates, my add would be almost a page long, and grew over time as the same old questions were being asked.

The amount of times I would get email enquiries that ask stuff that was explained 'word for word' in my add was a bloody joke. I used to just reply with a copy and paste of the whole add.

Same with phone enquiries. If it was something that was clearly stated on the add I would not answer them, just say go back and read the add. I wasn't desparate for housemates and living with people like that would drive me nuts.

Ebay... oh some of the users... You type a question that says hello, then the question 2 lines below, then my name 2 lines below that with a thank you and you get a 4 word reply with no punctuation or grammar....

Meh... mum said we need all types to make the world go round ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Kryton

Im dealing with a PITA seller - like i said, its a 2 way street = deadshit buyers and deadshit sellers.
I bought an Amp in NSW, ad said it could be couriered if i organise and pay for it.
Got the dimensions, got a quote, won the item and paid for it straight up.
Needed the guys address, got that, needed his actual email, got that: there goes 2 whole days.
Asked him (at the same time i asked for his address) if there were any days NOT suitable for him to have a courier come around and collect it: no reply to that so i said ill book it for Thursday (tomorrow).
Now i get an email back saying "i want to know exactly what date because Thursday is short notice".
Now, the item was on Ebay for a week and its been paid for for 3 days - short notice - Get Fkd.
So, i said id organise it for Monday and if that wasnt suitable, he could organise it himself for a time that suited him.
The reply:
Everyone in the house works weekdays so no one will be home.
What a ******.
So he's been told to leave it on the front door step for collection.

Why offer something for courier, if you cant make any effort to make yourself available for it to be collected on a weekday (couriers dont work weekends).
And before anyone carries on, i asked PRIOR to bidding if i could arrange for it to be couriered - you know, one of those stupid questions thats already been answered in the ad - and the answer was "yes, no problems".
Like i said, you need to ask the stupid questions as there are stupid sellers, just as many as there are buyers.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

If only common sense was a common trait.

Old 15-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you need to ask the stupid questions as there are STUPID sellers, just as many as there are STUPID buyers.
Nothin more to ad
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

SO if i buy it, has it had RROD and will I be able to play my GT5 Prologue on this PS3.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Miss_XR6

People dont read I send invoices out everyday and tell them to check before paying
They than pay and then when they recieve there docs they find out things havent been included and state oh i didnt read that invoice im to busy
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
creative
I am Batman

I see it all the time.

I am currently showing a property and access is via the road behind the advertised address ( main house with a 2 bed place at the rear of the garden but with its own access. It states 2 times in the advert where access is and how to get there. They are told when a booking is made to view it and a fourth time when we confirm the showing.

They still turn up at the main house! It's got to the point where I refuse to see if anyone is waiting at the wrong spot.

You can't rule out stupidity!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I've recently listed a couple of our work vehicles for sale on ebay, and listed in very large print that if people wanted further details, not to send messages via ebay, but to call the office during business hours, and ask the fleet manager.
I'm no mechanic, and he can't use a computer.
Plenty of people did just that, and got all the info they wanted.

One guy sent messages asking about engine size, width of vehicle, if it had A/C, and a whole bunch of stuff I couldn't answer. I asked Dad, and repeated the info, but asked again that he call the office, for full information.

The next email came back from him again asking if it was the 9.6L engine (I'd already said it was the 6L), and how wide it was (already said 2.4m), and then telling me he was looking for a different model to convert to a motorhome.
I more sternly suggested he call the office with any further questions, but his next reply got nasty, telling me I was uneducated, and obviously fraudulent, because I didn't "want" to answer his questions in writing.

I blocked him from bidding, and reported him for harrassment when he kept on sending emails. Too bad for him, he'd previously left a mobile number in an earlier message, so Dad called him, after reading his emails, and had a go at him for being rude.

Turns out that the guy who owns the account was out of town on business, and had left the login with an employee, with instructions to find a bus suitable for his needs.
However, they had a block on the phones in the office, preventing them from calling mobiles or interstate numbers. (this sounds a bit odd to me)

Rather than mention that he was unable to call in his replies, he just started attacking me, and generally being obnoxious.
He reported my listings for being fraudulent.

Needless to say the boss who owned the account was not impressed.
Never got an apology as such, but I did get another email weeks after the vehicle was sold, saying someone got a bargain - too bad it wasn't him, asking me to keep an eye out for a suitable vehicle for him, and let him know if I found one.
I don't think so.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I've recently listed a couple of our work vehicles for sale on ebay, and listed in very large print that if people wanted further details, not to send messages via ebay, but to call the office during business hours, and ask the fleet manager.
I'm no mechanic, and he can't use a computer.
Plenty of people did just that, and got all the info they wanted.

One guy sent messages asking about engine size, width of vehicle, if it had A/C, and a whole bunch of stuff I couldn't answer. I asked Dad, and repeated the info, but asked again that he call the office, for full information.

The next email came back from him again asking if it was the 9.6L engine (I'd already said it was the 6L), and how wide it was (already said 2.4m), and then telling me he was looking for a different model to convert to a motorhome.
I more sternly suggested he call the office with any further questions, but his next reply got nasty, telling me I was uneducated, and obviously fraudulent, because I didn't "want" to answer his questions in writing.

I blocked him from bidding, and reported him for harrassment when he kept on sending emails. Too bad for him, he'd previously left a mobile number in an earlier message, so Dad called him, after reading his emails, and had a go at him for being rude.

Turns out that the guy who owns the account was out of town on business, and had left the login with an employee, with instructions to find a bus suitable for his needs.
However, they had a block on the phones in the office, preventing them from calling mobiles or interstate numbers. (this sounds a bit odd to me)

Rather than mention that he was unable to call in his replies, he just started attacking me, and generally being obnoxious.
He reported my listings for being fraudulent.

Needless to say the boss who owned the account was not impressed.
Never got an apology as such, but I did get another email weeks after the vehicle was sold, saying someone got a bargain - too bad it wasn't him, asking me to keep an eye out for a suitable vehicle for him, and let him know if I found one.
I don't think so.
As you mentioned in the end , there was a reason why they couldnt call you
I know you had your reasons for buyers calling , but a question or an answer here and there wouldnt hurt
Id rather answer a question on my time while online, than listen to some sob story about their life history or how and why they want said vehicle to convert into a motor home,but hey thats me
Some people funnily enuf get better response from emails than ringing people, rather funny people have mobile fones but never seem to answer them when others ring
I rang a seller on ebay , well he said for details ring him, so i did, after 10 mins on the fone at my cost he was more interested in me havin any further contact via email,as it suited him and his son , why then put a contact number in the add
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I know you had your reasons for buyers calling , but a question or an answer here and there wouldnt hurt
Id rather answer a question on my time while online, than listen to some sob story about their life history or how and why they want said vehicle to convert into a motor home,but hey thats me
Some people funnily enuf get better response from emails than ringing people, rather funny people have mobile fones but never seem to answer them when others ring
I rang a seller on ebay , well he said for details ring him, so i did, after 10 mins on the fone at my cost he was more interested in me havin any further contact via email,as it suited him and his son , why then put a contact number in the add
If someone wants to buy something from you and you rather them call you, well then that's just what they have to do, the buyer realistically makes the rules for his/her own listing, the seller has to basically follow these, it's like going to a nightclub and they say you must dress nicely, but you'd rather dress like you're on a farm, just doesn't work.

Just another perspective, no offence intended.

But I can definitely say if someone lists their number I text them, so that they can get back to me whenever they want, if I get no answer in say 2 days I take it that they rather I call, so I call out of the usual work hours, so around 5-7PM, if not then I e-mail them/message them, and then it's up to them if they reply, if they don't I just figure they don't want the sale and leave them alone.

Usually on places like Gumtree the only option is a phone number, where as eBay I rather message them, I seem the get the fastest reply out of a message.

Old 15-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ebay 'phone calls' .... Mention that they can ONLY call after 3:30pm week days due to work commitments and still 75% of the calls I get are between 9and 3...

And then 75% of those calls are asking what is already clearly stated in the add...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #19
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Ebay 'phone calls' .... Mention that they can ONLY call after 3:30pm week days due to work commitments and still 75% of the calls I get are between 9and 3...

And then 75% of those calls are asking what is already clearly stated in the add...
Yeah I just use common sense, it's not that hard to realize most work from 8 or 9am to 3 or 5pm..

People just don't have that I suppose -.-

Old 17-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
We don't have a computer at work, so I can only check emails at home in my own time. I'm not a mechanic, and have very limited knowledge of the kinds of things they ask about.

I can drive them, I can check my oil and water and such, I know it has a turbo, is a 5 speed manual, and the 6 in B6FA means it has a 6L engine. Beyond that I'm not terribly interested in it's diff ratio, or if it has wedge or S-cam brakes, and I really feel that even if I get the answers from the boss or mechanic - and repeat them word for word, if I don't really know what I'm talking about, that IS being fraudulent. They could say anything, and if it was wrong, then it's there in writing, and I wouldn't know any better.

I answered what I could in his first email, he then sent another email (could possibly have been from the employee instead), asking the same questions, (I referred him to my previous reply), and then he told me I was being deliberately misleading!!

I get the best description I can, written out by the boss, and post that in the listing, but I would have to call the office and ask anyway, so better that they directly call the people who CAN answer their questions, and more.
Dad could find a way to sell ice to eskimos, so waffling on the phone is no problem for him!

Had the guy involved said straight up; "Hey, I can't call due to these reasons...", my boss would have called him and had a chat.

Instead he became more aggressive and rude in each email, to the point that he was blocked and reported.
He continued to send messages after the bus had been sold, that was when my boss called and had a go at him.
Which is when the real owner of the account involved, explained that he'd had no idea about his employee's behaviour, and the reason why his minions couldn't make a call.

Plenty of others who were genuinely interested did call, and it sold for about 2 1/2 times what we paid for it about a month earlier.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work on a more basic level.
I know what I want. If people do not mention what I want in the advertisement, I will ask once, If they do not respond, they do not get my business.

I've over 400 transactions, all positive. My method has always worked for me.

At work, I deal with problems, and try to fix some. I give people basic instructions, and they fail to follow them. Yes, it absolutely drives me nuts.

BUT reality is that dealing with people is extremely frustrating at times. You have to take the good with the bad. Add it all up and you'll probably find that there is far more good than bad...

But yes, it is frustrating...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post