Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
bmorris

Default Next-generation VF sedan to be unveiled at next year’s Daytona 500

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...613-208vv.html

Quote:
Holden's home-grown Commodore will make its official debut at the Super Bowl of US motor sport, the Daytona 500.

The race, which last year was watched by 36.5 million viewers, is scheduled for Thursday, February 21, 2013.

General Motors has chosen the date because the new VF Commodore will race as a Chevrolet in the Nascar series as part of a plan to sell roadgoing versions of the Commodore in the US.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Holden recently announced it would kick off a new export program to the US, with the forthcoming VF Commodore to be rebadged for American audiences as the Chevrolet SS Performance.

The SS performance is likely to be a premium offering with a focus on technology, performance and luxury.

A key component of the deal was for the car to become the hero of parent company GM's Chevrolet brand by being adapted to race in the Nascar series.

At the launch of the Holden Colorado workhorse ute this week, Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux canvassed motoring media on whether it would be a faux pas for Holden to authorise Chevrolet to reveal the SS road car and racing car to US audiences ahead of Australians getting their first official glimpse of the VF Commodore.

Assured by a majority that it would be, Devereux made a snap decision: "We'll launch them on the same day then. We'll make it happen."

He says the exposure afforded by the massively popular Nascar series will be a key driver of sales in the US. "We definitely want to tie (Chevrolet SS) into the Nascar season. To not do so would be a missed opportunity. This will be a good thing for the Chevrolet brand."

He hosed down any comparisons to the company's previous Commodore-based export program to the US, when it sent about 40,000 cars stateside badged as the Pontiac G8. The program was eventually killed off by a combination of the global financial crisis, a soaring Australian dollar and GM declaring bankruptcy.

This time around, sales of the Chevrolet SS will be in the thousands, rather than tens of thousands, Devereux cautions. "Demand will be greater than supply and that's not a bad thing," he says.

Australian buyers, meanwhile, are unlikely to get behind the wheel of a VF Commodore until at least the second quarter of 2013, with Devereux declaring there would need to be some time elapsed between the car's first reveal and its on-sale date to satisfy sales, marketing and media demonstrations.

"We'll certainly be showing the car before landing it in dealerships," he says.

In March, Holden committed $1 billion to local manufacturing following a $275 million injection of funds from the federal government.

Devereux has said the new VF will be a massive update for the Commodore, with lightweight panels, more advanced electronics and high-tech weight-saving materials such as aluminium to save fuel. he update is likely to see the Commodore would be a premium car with a focus on technology, performance and luxury.
Old 13-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Next-generation VF sedan to be unveiled at next year’s Daytona 500

How is making the bonnet out of aluminium high tech?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
How is making the bonnet out of aluminium high tech?
Because it's a Holden...derr

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Because it's a Holden...derr
How dumb of me

Its up there with the Alloytec, it was so high tech making an engine out of alloy in the year 2004? that they even had to say so on the badges.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
How dumb of me

Its up there with the Alloytec, it was so high tech making an engine out of alloy in the year 2004? that they even had to say so on the badges.
If thats the case my old XF must've been so futuristic back in 85. lol
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

given holden's successful U.S track record.. i won't hold my breath..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, I hope they succeed.

Holden have clearly done a better job of marketting against their weaknesses than Ford have. Seems like a stroke of genius to use a high tech name on something that was not. Just like the KE70 Corolla of the 1980's - when everyone else was going overhead cam, Toyota decided to label their pushrod slant-4 a 'HI-CAM' engine.

Ford clearly need to market their dealers as the best in Australia, use a made-up name to emphasise the reliability of the product, and have an ad campaign that derides drivers of other brands as Bogans.

It's a pity GM doesn't have any Australian drivers in NASCAR. I sure hope Ambrose doesn't get pinched.

Lukeyson
Old 14-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder what this will do for VE sales after Daytona, considering VF wont be released for a few months after its Daytona debut.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
blk6t

I also hope they succeed, irrespective of badge it's great to see a Aussie car becoming the halo for Chev's NASCAR brand.

Holden has always had some sort of export program for the Commodore, the middle east, asia, sth africa etc but if they can make it big in the US that will be gold.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The race, which last year was watched by 36.5 million viewers, is scheduled for Thursday, February 21, 2013.
how many of those viewers were Australian?

i also hope Holden do well. At least their parent company is accommodating enough to allow them to expand and keep them alive.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
I also hope they succeed, irrespective of badge it's great to see a Aussie car becoming the halo for Chev's NASCAR brand.

Holden has always had some sort of export program for the Commodore, the middle east, asia, sth africa etc but if they can make it big in the US that will be gold.
You are right, the billion dollar baby was always about exports and you can't blame them for being so persistent either. This is also the Falcons weakest link imho because the Falcon, as good as it is, has never been slated for L/H drive export. It just does not seem to have a single friend off shore for what ever reason.

I would not put too much money on a Commodore failure this time round either because the G8 VE's were placed right in the middle of a stumbling and faltering company that was still paying for the sins of their Aztecs etc, but this time it will now become the hero car for Chevrolet, and show cased to the greatest V8 sedan loving congregation on earth.

Get ready for the Chev badges to come back out, this time for real!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
You are right, the billion dollar baby was always about exports and you can't blame them for being so persistent either. This is also the Falcons weakest link imho because the Falcon, as good as it is, has never been slated for L/H drive export. It just does not seem to have a single friend off shore for what ever reason.
Last month, the combined sales of D3 platform vehicles was knocking on 30,000.
That's why Taurus, Explorer, Flex, PI, PI Ute, MKS, MKT are now so profitable......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Am I right in Assuming that VF is still around 8-9 months away?

Boy, I wonder what sales are going to be like up until then...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Nascars are all one generic chassis and body panels. They are all the same, other than decals for lights, grill etc, to make them appear to be different.

How is a 'Holden', badged as a Chev, with a Chev nascar motor, have any link to the Commodore.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Nascars are all one generic chassis and body panels. They are all the same, other than decals for lights, grill etc, to make them appear to be different.

How is a 'Holden', badged as a Chev, with a Chev nascar motor, have any link to the Commodore.
Because Drive.com.au says so!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
ray38l

Quote:

you could almost say the same about v8 supercars
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No different to the Classic Chev and Windsor motors in the V8 Supercars which are all just about a generic chassis anyway. The motors having nothing to do at all with the Holden or Ford cars
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I saw a title of a thread with "VF" in it.

I opened it thinking of Valiant awesomeness.

I then read the first couple of lines, made this post, and left.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

So, does this mean this vehicle will be exported to the US and sold at a rediculously low price, costing the Australian arm money to produce?
or
They'll tool up a U.S factory to build the car casting doubt in future Holden models being built here?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Well, I hope they succeed.

Holden have clearly done a better job of marketting against their weaknesses than Ford have. Seems like a stroke of genius to use a high tech name on something that was not. Just like the KE70 Corolla of the 1980's - when everyone else was going overhead cam, Toyota decided to label their pushrod slant-4 a 'HI-CAM' engine.

Ford clearly need to market their dealers as the best in Australia, use a made-up name to emphasise the reliability of the product, and have an ad campaign that derides drivers of other brands as Bogans.

It's a pity GM doesn't have any Australian drivers in NASCAR. I sure hope Ambrose doesn't get pinched.

Lukeyson

maybe they should get beer companies advertisers to come up with some ads for them, they seem pretty snazzy.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #21
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish them well but i dont think it will do well personally.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #22
BHDOGS
Banned

dam straight he should reveal it in Australia at the same time to do otherwise would be an insult it seems holdens big car future is dependent on the american market taking the slack
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
If thats the case my old XF must've been so futuristic back in 85. lol
More like ahead of it's time.

I for one hope this is a big success for Holden. At least they market their products. And if it's a sales success over in the states, Ford will do as they have and attack instead of innovate. Headlines will read: "2016 Falcon to go LHD".
Old 23-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

Chevy Malibu headed for SEMA. I had to do a double take because it looks so much like a Commodore, almost thought it was the Chevy SS reveal. I wonder how familiar the VF will be to this.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz

Chevy Malibu headed for SEMA. I had to do a double take because it looks so much like a Commodore, almost thought it was the Chevy SS reveal. I wonder how familiar the VF will be to this.

Thats looks quite decent.
Hope the new Malibu sells up a storm.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #26
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon thats as close to VF as your gonna get.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #27
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear is an improvement on VE, Camaro-ish tail lights look good.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The VF lacks the bigger grill of the malibu, but shares the fog light and headlight shapes, and sculpting of the bar...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so its still going to be ugly as sin?
Old 23-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
so its still going to be ugly as sin?
Not that the VE is ugly. After all, they basically massaged a BA Falcon and came away looking original.

The VF is just going to be more Chevy in it's appearance. And changed little from the VE.

The next Falcon however will be a HUGE departure from the norm.