Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
creative
I am Batman

Default Airbag suspension

A thursday afternoon thought...

I was looking at airbag kits and was wondering if anyone runs them on a ute? If so, what did you choose and what is the ride like?

I really want to lower the ute but the cost of resetting leafs is putting me off and secondly i cant lower due to my new driveway. Airbags would be a good solution.

Also what are the legalities of them in NSW?

Tia!

creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Airbag suspension

How much is it to reset the leaf springs. An airbag kit is around $1200 for the back. You also need to remember that you will need to carry in the back of the Ute the compressor.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I just put in a new set of King FOR-303SL leaf springs for about $600.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
creative
I am Batman

My issue i have is i want to raise it when needed. Even stock height i scrape going into the garage and drive. If i get the best of both worlds this way so i would rather sink the $$ that i would on leaf springs and front springs into a bag system.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bags ride like crap, I mean they really are harsh

Carrols springs re set and if you take the springs in you'll get change from $200

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Bags ride like crap, I mean they really are harsh
Its more down to the set up then the bags them selves.

IF you are to bag a Falcon ute, you would most likely have to go for a mono leaf setup, where on leaf on each side is retained as a locator for the diff. My mate had a Rodeo done like this, and it was quite rough.

You can get kits for the likes of Hiluxs etc, that use Airbags as extra support, yet retain all the leaves, the ride quality is considerably better.

Perhaps you could use a combination of reset leaves, and airbags. That way you arnt using the bags to lower it, only to raise it when needed. Just an idea, you wont be able to air it out and drop it, but if you get the springs set at a nice height that's all you'll want any way.

A good 4 link set up can ride good, as long as the bags are set at a good pressure level. When aired all the way out its just crap...

Expensive too...and a pain for engineering...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Its more down to the set up then the bags them selves.

IF you are to bag a Falcon ute, you would most likely have to go for a mono leaf setup, where on leaf on each side is retained as a locator for the diff. My mate had a Rodeo done like this, and it was quite rough.

You can get kits for the likes of Hiluxs etc, that use Airbags as extra support, yet retain all the leaves, the ride quality is considerably better.

Perhaps you could use a combination of reset leaves, and airbags. That way you arnt using the bags to lower it, only to raise it when needed. Just an idea, you wont be able to air it out and drop it, but if you get the springs set at a nice height that's all you'll want any way.

Hmmm hadnt thought of that way... Thanks.

Whats the deal with legality in NSW? If it involves engineering aswell, i may just pass and leave it stock and go mental with a stereo install!
Old 16-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno if you can still get them , but in the old days you could buy air shockers, they used to sell them in speed shops , with optional compressor controller from the cab, or the manual system with the schroeder valve mounted near the number plate or your choice to pump up at the servo, they did`nt work to bad imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
dunno if you can still get them , but in the old days you could buy air shockers, they used to sell them in speed shops , with optional compressor controller from the cab, or the manual system with the schroeder valve mounted near the number plate or your choice to pump up at the servo, they did`nt work to bad imo.
Nah they are the old technology that we used lol. That is not hectic or fully *** for the kids today it has to be bagged
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Nah they are the old technology that we used lol. That is not hectic or fully *** for the kids today it has to be bagged
All the "Cool kids" use to use them at one stage
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
79da

G'day. Air bags on a mono leaf. Station wagon leaf should fit. Did in X series. Saves on reset cost ($250 approx). Give a lot softer ride when ute is empty. Ebay have air bag kits for sale. I'm reakoning on spending $500 for my pakage which is leaves and bags. I do a lot of klms in a mostly empty ute. Also like the idea of keeping my factory springs in case I want to return back to standard settings. A mate of mine has them fitted on his ute. So much more comfortable on country roads. You don't need a compressor. If he's got a load on thats heavey he just goes to the servo or pulls out his 12v tyre inflater and pumps em up. Cool as. Sits and rides smick without air when empty.

Reset leaves that are lowerer are harsher in ride. Typical of any ute though, they ride better with a load on.

Cannot see any legalties with air bags. Pumps ups though???
79da is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My first car was used by my grandfather for towing (VK Commodore) and he had 'airbag suspension' in the rear, little valve that allowed you to pump up or lower the rear suspension while retaining the springs.

Might not be great for a 'flick the switch to drive into the garage' type scenario but worth a thought.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
yep gotta be bagged and slammed lol.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post