Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
in_xcess

Default Ford new car warranty - is 3years/100,000 good enough?

A thread designed to explore opinions on whether Fords current new car warranty is enough in comparison to other manufacturers.

They currently offer 3 years or 100,000kms - granted this is in line with most new car warrantys.

My last two novated lease vehicles have been from Hyundai and now Mitsubishi as their 5 year warranty enables me to sell the car after 3 or 4 with new car warranty still attached.

If Ford did a 5 year wty I would have looked seriously at their Diesel Territory.

When they are struggling in areas with their product and in an extremely competitive market, would/could/should they offer better? Would it not help them shift product?

Should they take the initiative and get in line with the 5 year unlimited kms offered by others? They took forever to get kuga here, to get lpi happening, to get diesel into the Territory and to offer decent airbag protection throughout the range... is this another area they'll drag their feet on?

Old 13-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
minheim

Default Re: Ford new car warranty - is 3years/100,000 good enough?

I agree. My most recent cars were mitsubishis for this very reason and why I had my daughter buy mitsubishis for her last two new cars. With my AU I bought in 2000 new I bought an extra 3 years warranty off ford. I love a longer factory warranty than 3 years. I'm sure that it would also help dealers with extra servicing and give them scope to offer better resale and trade in prices. Ford could pass on matching the 10 year mitsubishi driveline warranty but in reality it is a small cost if limited to the first owner.

With falcon sales as low as they are they should give this a go at least for falcon, if not also territory.

I guess the only downside is other manufacturers might match it and reduce the differentiation. Also once you do it you can't reduce it back to 3 years.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon a five year/unlimited kilometre warranty would be nice
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought a Falcon with 5 years/ 200,000km
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I just bought a Falcon with 5 years/ 200,000km
nothing wrong with that!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Standard 3yr / 100k warranty has been in use for at least 15 years now???? My 99 Festiva had it.

Time to move on, and keep up with the rest of the brands. 160,000 km / 5 yrs should be the minimum to be honest.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
The Snout

3 years = fail
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
With my AU I bought in 2000 new I bought an extra 3 years warranty off ford.
"Extended Warranty! How can i loose?" - Homer Simpson.

what i'm saying is a warranty is only as good as the dealers are willing to back it. now i've not had any warranty claims needed in my ute even if it was 5 years, but if someone's engine packed it in, would ford honor the warranty? Would you be happy having the work done by your Ford Dealer?
Old 13-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford also need to look at their capped price servicing. Its double to triple what the others are offering, in price..
Old 13-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im used to the mitsubishi 5 year warranty i didn't realise to extend the ford 3 year factory warranty its over $2000!!!!!

and like aussie muscle said, imagine geting the run around for warranty repairs after that!
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last February we bought two brand new cars, one for us and one for our youngest son after a series of cheap crapbuckets let him down.

* 50th Anniversary G6E, a prestige near-top of the line Falcon which had a book price (sat nav and premium stereo) of nearly $54,000...warrantee is 3 year 100,000km.
* Suzuki Alto hatchback...the cheapest car on he road at the time, $11,990, made in India...warantee is five year unlimited kilometers...

Australia has always lagged behind the rest of the world with the trust the makers put in their cars...and most times it's just policy and not the car itself.

Who else remembers the badge-engineering days when we had the Nissan Pintara/Ford Corsair, Holden Apollo/Toyota Camry, Falcon ute/Nissan "Ute", and Nissan Patrol/Ford Maverick.

The Nissan Patrol had, at the time, the normal Japanese vehicle warrantee of 2 year/48,000km period. The funny bit was that if you bought the exact same vehicle with Ford badges, it only had the standard Ford warrantee of 1 year 24,000km.
It did work the other way too...plenty of people were laughed at for buying a "Nissan Ute" instead of a Falcon, but if you bought the Ford Falcon ute it had 12 month/24,000km, but if you walked down the road to Nissan and bought the exact same vehicle, it suddenly had a 2 year/48,000km warrantee instead...

Our Falcon clocked over 50,000km yesterday on the way back from Bundaberg...that's since February last year. We haven't been driving it excessively...just down to Bundaberg and back occasionally, regularly to Rockhampton or Emerald on trips, so it's just about all highway stuff. The thing is that is what people "normally" do out here...I don't know how people rack up the kilometers in the city, but it's not unusual to have to drive a 400km round trip to buy a washing machine out here...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last new Ford I purchsed (back in 07) I was offered to extend the FORD factory warranty at a cost, I dont have a problem with that option, I can eaitehr take the gamble with the 3yr100,000km warranty or pay the extra for a longer term, lets face it if the factory warranty was to be say 5 years 200,000 the cost would have to be some where so you would be paying it any how this way I the purchaser can make the choice

keep in mind it wasnt that long ago that the standard warranty was 12 months 20,000km

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
"Extended Warranty! How can i loose?" - Homer Simpson.

what i'm saying is a warranty is only as good as the dealers are willing to back it. now i've not had any warranty claims needed in my ute even if it was 5 years, but if someone's engine packed it in, would ford honor the warranty? Would you be happy having the work done by your Ford Dealer?
are you serious?
if there was a legit claim why would`nt they? , i hear the odd person, implying that the majority of ford warranty is crap, i have to say i think it`s BS !!! having worked in a ford dealer,actually 2 (and a holden dealer)....... albeit city dealers and some years ago, i found the company quite generous in warranty as a rule, also at times giving warranty to on occasions to some very dubious claims, not saying there has`nt been the the odd dispute with in spec/out of spec claims or poorly handled jobs on rare occasions, but to imply their warranty is a non entity for 99.9% is just crap !

back on topic of the extended warranty, if they want to compete with the other car makers that run the longer warranty , i think they will have to step up to the plate, imo it would have been a good marketing move, especially with the terri after the ball joint issue even though it is fixed now.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
a-total-tool

I look at it this way.

Ford (and the others) are legally obligated to offer 3yrs/100,000km warranty on new cars as a minimum.

Dealers that are offering the bare minimum must not be expecting the car to last much longer than that - planned obslolecence. Don't get me wrong, a lot of cars will last longer than this but there must be a reason that they are only willing to back their product for the shortest time possible.

I would be looking for cars that offer more than this. The Korean manufacturers (Hyundai/Kia) are offering 5 year unlimited. To me, if they are willing to back their product in such a manner, they must be expecting it to be reliable. Even the Japanese manufacturers are above the minimum. Mitsubishi are offering 5yr/130,000 (plus extra on the drivetrain - only if you are the first owner). My mazda has a 3 year unlimited km warranty.

Whether or not you do the kms is not the issue (my car is 4 weeks old and cracking the 3000km mark - just being driven to/from work). It is the fact that the manufacturer is expecting the car to last for a certain period of time.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E..Isn't the road from Gin Gin to Rocky a joke !!! I drove Briz to Rocky two weeks ago. Those road works are a nightmare, some are still from Easter when I last drove up !! But speed limits 40km/hr varying to 100km/hr every few kms is a joke!! and that section of 90km/hr. wtf!!!! and its our National Higway 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the BF Mk 2 GHIA did a Codral and soldiered on!!!!
Old 13-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't Mitsubishi offer a 10 year powertrain warranty? That speaks volumes about how confident they feel that their cars will stand the test of time. The three year/100,000 km warranty has been around since the mid '90s, it's pitiful.
Old 13-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
I agree. My most recent cars were mitsubishis for this very reason and why I had my daughter buy mitsubishis for her last two new cars.
because the 10yr driveline warranty is limited to to the first owner only (even if they only keep it for 12 months) does that mean a second owner, still under the 'new car warranty' couldn't claim for any driveline issues? if so, the mitsu warranty doesn't seem too good to me.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crymoarpls
because the 10yr driveline warranty is limited to to the first owner only (even if they only keep it for 12 months) does that mean a second owner, still under the 'new car warranty' couldn't claim for any driveline issues? if so, the mitsu warranty doesn't seem too good to me.
the 5 year new car waranty is transferable which covers everything including driveline
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Summary of Mitsubishi Diamond Advantage 10/5 Warranty.

The Diamond Advantage package is complimentary with every new Mitsubishi vehicle and is a sign of our faith in the reliability of every Mitsubishi vehicle. It’s also Australia’s best new car warranty which means when you buy a Mitsubishi you’ll enjoy worry-free motoring. It includes:
•10 year or 160,000km* Powertrain warranty†
•5 year or 130,000km* New Vehicle Warranty
•5 year Perforation Corrosion Warranty

*Whichever occurs first, internal combustion vehicles. Electric vehicles have 10 year or 100,000km (whichever occurs first, non-transferable) Powertrain Warranty and 5 year or 100,000km (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Warranty. †Non-transferable.

Old 13-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-total-tool
I look at it this way.

Ford (and the others) are legally obligated to offer 3yrs/100,000km warranty on new cars as a minimum.

Dealers that are offering the bare minimum must not be expecting the car to last much longer than that - planned obslolecence. Don't get me wrong, a lot of cars will last longer than this but there must be a reason that they are only willing to back their product for the shortest time possible.

I would be looking for cars that offer more than this. The Korean manufacturers (Hyundai/Kia) are offering 5 year unlimited. To me, if they are willing to back their product in such a manner, they must be expecting it to be reliable. Even the Japanese manufacturers are above the minimum. Mitsubishi are offering 5yr/130,000 (plus extra on the drivetrain - only if you are the first owner). My mazda has a 3 year unlimited km warranty.

Whether or not you do the kms is not the issue (my car is 4 weeks old and cracking the 3000km mark - just being driven to/from work). It is the fact that the manufacturer is expecting the car to last for a certain period of time.
The old folks recently bought a new Rio (SLS or something like that) with the 5 year warranty. Dealership 'threw in' an extra 4 years warrenty at no extra charge.
Think that's pretty damn good

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y
The old folks recently bought a new Rio (SLS or something like that) with the 5 year warranty. Dealership 'threw in' an extra 4 years warrenty at no extra charge.
Think that's pretty damn good
Kia dealership in Malta last year.....

And the roads and conditions on a car there are FAR worse than here.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
crymoarpls
Banned

@csv8 - zupps brisbane salesman said 5 year new car warranty didn't cover drivetrain if you're the second owner.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Despite being very careful washing and cleaning the "Edge" paint on our G6E, I seriously doubt it's going to last three years in any half-decent sort of condition.
I washed and cleaned it this morning, and the damn thing looks like I've used an angle grinder and sanding disc to buff the paint. You can mark it with a fingernail, and every little knock and bump, however, minor, leaves a scratch.

Is paint covered by warrantees...? Don't think it is...
Old 13-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Cost me $1800 to extend the warranty on my GT-E to six years, 200,000km. I had done the same to our 2007 Territory and have had shedloads of work done past the three year mark, reckon they must have replaced every single suspension component by now!
Old 13-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

The ironic thing is that the Falcon is clearly the most reliable and bullet proof car in Australia.

You could seriously offer a 7-year, 200,000km warranty on a Falcon no problem.

I reckon there would be hardly any warranty claims.

Even when things do go wrong on a Falcon they are rarely major ticket items that would cost the manufacturer a lot of money to rectify.

Ford should at least do a 5-year, unlimited km warranty on Falcons for private buyers. Would be a huge winner.

It would be a deserved vote of confidence in the brand and in the quality of the product that they build.
Old 13-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd agree...I don't know offhand what Holden offer with the Commodore, but it would be a huge marketing advantage to be able to say "we have such confidence in the Falcon that we now offer a five year unlimited kilometer warrantee across the board on all models".

Of course that's assuming they had an advertising campaign for Falcons...but that's a whole other bunch of threads...

I have no doubt that our G6E will continue plugging along reliably for many years, whether we own it or not. I have some concerns about little niggles...unpainted bare metal here and there, thin paint on the body, the "quality" of some of the plastics used on the inside...but I don't doubt that mechanically it will just keep on keeping on for a long time to come.

The only concerns I have about the kilometers I am racking up are reaching 100,000 before the three years are up, and what the resale value (or lack thereof) will be when we come to sell it privately. The resale values are pretty dismal even after only eighteen months of ownership...I'd hate to see what it will (or won't) be worth in maybe six months or a year from now if we decide to sell it and move on to something else...
Old 13-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is in the fine print in the 5 /10 year warranty's? they say drive line, does that mean they cover timing belt change, tensioners, wheel bearings? does the 5/10 year warranty mean that it is only applicable at the factory dealers?

the devil is in the detail, as many fleets don`t keep cars past a certain age/km`s if the warranty is not transferable to the second owner, it seems to me it`s not much better than the standard warranty offered by ford/ holden/toyota.
is the 5/10 year warranty useable for commercial use?...........these companies are in it to make a buck , either they are doing it by selling greater volumes of cars or other ways, they won`t be doing it too lose money.

Last edited by mik; 13-08-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
what is in the fine print in the 5 /10 year warranty's? they say drive line, does that mean they cover timing belt change, tensioners, wheel bearings? does the 5/10 year warranty mean that it is only applicable at the factory dealers?

the devil is in the detail, as many fleets don`t keep cars past a certain age/km`s if the warranty is not transferable to the second owner, it seems to me it`s not much better than the standard warranty offered by ford/ holden/toyota.
is the 5/10 year warranty useable for commercial use?...........these companies are in it to make a buck , either they are doing it by selling greater volumes of cars or other ways, they won`t be doing it too lose money.
The Mitsubishi warranty details have been posted.

5 year/130,000km new car warranty.
10 year/160,000 drivetrain warranty.

5 year new car warranty is transferrable to as many owners as the vehicle has within that 5 year/130,000km period.

10 year/160,000 drivetrain warranty is not transferrable and so is only valid to the initial purchaser of the vehicle.

Unsure on commercial use, but I think the 10 year is not available with commercial use.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #29
JG34JA

Extended the 3Y/100,000 to 5Y/200,000 here. When going back (and the product has been good so definitely look at it) a 5Y/200,000 on another Territory will be something to negotiate in the purchase. If only Ford offered it!

As for the ball joints, it was a pleasant surprise to have the upgrade offered. The other thing about the Aussie drivetrain is I know it will last into the future (ZF hopefully as well!)
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'd agree...I don't know offhand what Holden offer with the Commodore, but it would be a huge marketing advantage to be able to say "we have such confidence in the Falcon that we now offer a five year unlimited kilometer warrantee across the board on all models".
You'd need a '*Vehicles owned by Taxi companies excluded' clause on that.

"Sorry mate, i've done a transmission, please replace it for me!!"
"Oh? how many k's you done?"
"Oh, only 600,000 mate! Thankfully you've got that unlimited km warranty!"

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post