Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default Voiding warranty with own servicing

Hi all...

A simple quick question:

If you buy a car which is still under factory warranty, but you choose to service the car yourself - does this void the warranty if you need to get something fixed later on???

Cheers.

Old 22-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
SVTVNM
Guzzler

My understanding normaly standaed warranty it can be done buy any qualified mechanic, but i think some aftermarket non factory backed exrended warranty must be done buy the selling dealer. I'm quite sure someone can and will give a definatre answer.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi all...

A simple quick question:

If you buy a car which is still under factory warranty, but you choose to service the car yourself - does this void the warranty if you need to get something fixed later on???

Cheers.

Yes

Must be serviced by a licensed MTA repairer (not necessarily a Ford dealership or the dealership who first sold the vehicle) , so unless you are an MTA repairer your warranty is void.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

as long as you are a trade qualified mechanic you can service the car at home sign the book and keep your warranty.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

You don't need to be an MTA accredited w/shop/person to service a car GT0132, you just need to be a qualified mechanic and use genuine parts to keep the warranty intact.

IH8HSV, if you're a mechanic by trade, go for it. If not, just find a reputable mechanic to do it for you.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Covered here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11286942 and
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11282954

And yes; as the ACCC makes it clear as I quoted in those posts, you can service it yourself and retain the warranty.

However, you will need evidence that you have serviced the vehicle strictly in accordance with Ford's requirements; this means buying a Ford factory workshop manual (NOT a Gregorys, Max Ellerys, Haynes etc) and any service bulletins issued (consumer law in most states requires them to sell service manuals and related updates and bulletins to you on request - but from my experience expect to have to show them a copy of the relevant State or Commonwealth consumer legislation before they sell you the bulletins - this relies on Section 74F of the Commonwealth's Trade Practices Act and the bulletins being listed as parts or having a part number), servicing it strictly according to that factory manual, buying any special tools specified in the Ford manual, buying all the oils and other fluids specified in the Ford manual and keeping receipts of all these items (i.e to demonstrate you had the factory manual before you commenced servicing your car) and any consumables used to service the car and being able to demonstrate your mechanical competence and knowledge should a dispute about warranty go to court or arbitration. I have done this with new cars and actually to date have had no dispute with the dealer when it came to warranty fixes (albeit the items being replaced under warranty could in no way have been damaged by service failure).
Old 23-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only 'real' servicing item during the warranty period is the engine oil, and it is rare for an engine to fail during that time anyway. So I doubt it would make a difference whether the book is stamped or not.
Or get a stamp made up, with 'joe blogs mechanics' and just use that.

Even if the car does a headgasket or something, its unlikely they will be scanning the logbook for discrepancies to void your warranty.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
PHANTMXR6

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

I just keep a copy of my trade certificate with my log books.
Works for me.

Old 23-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
You don't need to be an MTA accredited w/shop/person to service a car GT0132, you just need to be a qualified mechanic and use genuine parts to keep the warranty intact.

IH8HSV, if you're a mechanic by trade, go for it. If not, just find a reputable mechanic to do it for you.

OK, I stand corrected. However that's what I was told when I bought my car new. In any event why would you use a vehicle repairer who wasn't MTA accredited? To me it would be no better than using an unlicensed builder even though he could show he was qualified.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
PHANTMXR6

Smile

I don't reckon you need to be a MTA accredited to be able to provide good service. If you choose a mechanic without accreditation, but they have a good history, why not use them? Reputation is worth more than a certificate, in my opinion.

Each to their own I guess.

I think the laws may have changed from a few years ago though, that's why you can use any qualified mechanic rather than having to go back to Ford.

Old 16-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
IH8HSV

Thanks for your replies...

I finally brought my new FG turbo which has only 18000km's on it and has factory warranty on it until 2012.

When I spoke to the dealer he said I have to get it serviced by ford to keep the warranty.

Is he conning me?

I would rather use my friend who works for Automasters and get it done heaps cheaper. But from your replies: I can use any qualified mechanic.

Could someone please finally clear this up for me.

Cheers.
Old 16-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Which dealership,some do have clauses.

Id be asking for the warranty "fine print" so to speak just to be safe.

I know with Jarvis in Adelaide it needs to go back to them.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Which dealership,some do have clauses.

Id be asking for the warranty "fine print" so to speak just to be safe.

I know with Jarvis in Adelaide it needs to go back to them.
That would only be for extended warranty supplied by Jarvis, for new car warranty you can take it to any Ford dealer you like for servicing or like others have stated any other qualified mechanic.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

When I went to Jarvis recently to look at a new Focus they were offering 2 years extended Jarvis warranty not factory(ontop of 3yrs factory).To keep this 2 years extended Jarvis warranty it had to of been serviced at Jarvis for the period of warranty.Thats where my reply was leading.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
That would only be for extended warranty supplied by Jarvis, for new car warranty you can take it to any Ford dealer you like for servicing or like others have stated any other qualified mechanic.
O.k.. Cool, So i can take it to any qualified mechanic then.

But if something happens and I need to make a warranty claim later on, how do I prove that the car has been serviced? ( Ford keep all servicing history on there computer data base ).

Is a stamp in the book enough?

Cheers for the replies.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
When I went to Jarvis recently to look at a new Focus they were offering 2 years extended Jarvis warranty not factory(ontop of 3yrs factory).To keep this 2 years extended Jarvis warranty it had to of been serviced at Jarvis for the period of warranty.Thats where my reply was leading.
Gimmicks to make sure you take the car back to Jarvis for servicing, extra $$$$ in their pocket, most extended warranties IMO aren't worth it. But it is each to their own on that one.

I prefer my own mechanic who I have known for years and is the only one I trust with my cars, I have not had to claim anything under warranty on any of my Fords that have been under warranty so I have not had first hand experience in this one, best bet is to ring Ford customer service (Note: not the dealer) and clarify with them that it will still be covered. I'm pretty sure as long as you use genuine Ford parts it isn't a problem.
Old 17-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #17
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Totally agree the extendeds arent worth the paper their printed on.

+1 for the local mechanic.Our new(5 years ago)magna was fixed under warranty at my other halfs uncles centre(West Torrens Dyno)but like you said using genuine parts/oils.Cant remember the exact process but they need to approve the repair somewhat dont they?
Old 17-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I got a free extended warranty with the ute, an extra 2yrs and 75,000Ks. In the small print the total cost of repairs will only total $1500 including labour with a maximum of $500 per job. Pretty weak really, you also need to have the vehicle serviced by my dealer for its entire life.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I dunno...the extended warranties have covered many expensive problems for our clients many a time. Usually they are underwritten by Allianz etc, which is perfectly fine.

Also, if you service your car outside of the dealer network during the warranty period, then the chances of goodwill for warranty repairs outside of the warranty period will be GREATLY reduced, if at all.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Totally agree the extendeds arent worth the paper their printed on.

+1 for the local mechanic.Our new(5 years ago)magna was fixed under warranty at my other halfs uncles centre(West Torrens Dyno)but like you said using genuine parts/oils.Cant remember the exact process but they need to approve the repair somewhat dont they?
Not sure about warranty repairs for Fords, I think that may be a dealer fix, but as long as it is serviced using Ford prefered servicables by your mechanic they should still fix it under warranty. I don't think Ford would be approving an engine out warranty repair at your local mechanics.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Not sure about warranty repairs for Fords, I think that may be a dealer fix, but as long as it is serviced using Ford prefered servicables by your mechanic they should still fix it under warranty. I don't think Ford would be approving an engine out warranty repair at your local mechanics.
This is where contrdiction comes into play.If they let us fix something warranted by an approved repairer what difference does it make wheter its a actuator or engine.It should be yay or nay on all counts.Grey areas suck.

By the way,were you on Main North Road today near Enfield,had a Breeze Foon flex his muscles in front of me.Hearing the gear changes I cant blaim the want for ZF software alterations,was all that let it down,looked sooooo nice.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I'm not sure on that one Gilmore, I just can't see Ford approving such a big fix being done unless at a dealer that has there tools. Ford usually like seeing the engine and computer before approving repair for say a blown engine. I know of one engine that was pulled out of an F6 but then the whole car had to be sent back down to the dealer for them to deal with it, it turned out that they didn't warranty it anyway and then blacklisted the car. Best bet is to ring customer service and found out from them, they are the only ones that can tell you for sure.

Not me mate, from the info I have tryed to gather there is only 2 Breeze F6's in Adelaide so it was must've been my not so evil twin
Old 17-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ford WILL NOT approve any warranty repairs if the work is to be done outside of the dealer network. For a repair to be approved under wty, an authrised dealer has to diagnose it. It's just common sense.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Ford WILL NOT approve any warranty repairs if the work is to be done outside of the dealer network. For a repair to be approved under wty, an authrised dealer has to diagnose it. It's just common sense.
Even when local Ford dealer refuses to do the work, Ford will not approve another shop doing the repair - it has to be a Ford dealer.

If your car can't move under it's own power, you are up for a tow truck or whatever it takes to get the car to a Ford dealer who will look at the car. One dealer I know is well known for pulling this stunt. Know from others and personal experience.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post