Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
JAYMZ
My Deception

Default Insurance dramas

Hey Guys looking for some advice and help with how insurance company's go about claims.

My brother hit a car from behind traveling at about 5-10km/h, bloody congestion, not much damage to my bros car and its an old falcon anyway, but it was too busy for him to exit his vehicle (first year p plater) so the other guy came to him. My brother was in a bit of shock, first time hitting a car too. They swapped all the appropriate details.

Problem is he didn't get to see the damage on the other car, so later on we wanted to see it, but the guy wouldn't allow us, he got it repaired through AAMI and then the bill came over $1000. For a couple of scratches and maybe a dent on the bumper, we assume.

AAMI said that they send their "professional representatives" to check it out and get a few quotes. so we dont need to see the damage b4 its repaired.

Problem: how do we know what is to be fixed?
Problem: where do we stand now?
Problem: i believe its way above the price for some damage on an old magna.

Any advice? Do we not pay and go to court. Or cough up.

JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he didnt get out and look i would be thinking that he has no right of reply on this one

i could be wrong though is he insured for knock policy if so put it through his insurance co unless his excess is more that the damage ie the $1000 if not let the insurance work it out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
JAYMZ
My Deception

Dont know about knock policy.

Not worried about our cars damage, but i find it hard to believe that the other guy can get it repaired through his insurer and then give the bill to us to pay. they could have repaired the whole back end when we only may have caused some scratches
Old 19-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I always use my mobile and take a few snaps, proper digital camera is even better for proof, the more photo's the better

That is about the standard price to buy a new bumper and repaint it for an insurance job going by my past experience
They won't just paint a few scratches, too much time involved in mixing paint, sanding, bogging etc. It's a throw away world with bolt on mecahnics these days.

If you can keep insurance companies out of it and maybe pay someone cash to fix the other car you may get it cheaper, but it is too late for that now.

Legally it's your brothers fault, he will have to pay via insurance or court
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMZ
Dont know about knock policy.

Not worried about our cars damage, but i find it hard to believe that the other guy can get it repaired through his insurer and then give the bill to us to pay. they could have repaired the whole back end when we only may have caused some scratches
Hang on, who has tried to bill you? The other guy directly, or the insurance company?

If he got it fixed under insurance, then it should be them who is presenting you with a bill.

If you have been contacted by the driver personally, asking for money then something is sus.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Skotty
Banned

as others said, by the time you get a new bar, paint it, fit it, then wash the car after...

then there are the crash shops overheads and keeping in mind they have to over quote, and, you don't know if he could of cause any damage to any absorbers or reo's that may need replacing or beaver panel damages...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
JAYMZ
My Deception

Thanks Jastel for your help. Didn't realise the cost for a bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Hang on, who has tried to bill you? The other guy directly, or the insurance company?

If he got it fixed under insurance, then it should be them who is presenting you with a bill.

If you have been contacted by the driver personally, asking for money then something is sus.

Yea their insurer has passed on the bill to us.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
as others said, by the time you get a new bar, paint it, fit it, then wash the car after...

then there are the crash shops overheads and keeping in mind they have to over quote, and, you don't know if he could of cause any damage to any absorbers or reo's that may need replacing or beaver panel damages...
Exactly. I got hit in the bum in the Falcon... cost $825 for a new bumper + reo + spray + labor - and there was almost no damage!

What AAMI is doing is standard practice really. But does your brother have any insurance? If he doesn't have fully comp, he's likely to be on his own and the best thing you can do is either:

a) see a lawyer

or

b) Just pay up.

Keep in mind there's no point in fighting since the fault has already been established and at the end of the day, it will cost you a lot more to sort it out.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
JAYMZ
My Deception

yea your right, not worth time wasting. Damn so much for a bumper. Well i guess its off to tell him pay up then.

My brother has insurance under my dad's policy. My brother's on the pension anyway so the $1000 wont come straight away.
Old 19-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
MOTORE
1969 Ford XW Project

Your probably better off paying up rather than seeing a lawyer. Lawyers don't take long to rack up a $1000 bill and then you might lose!
MOTORE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the car behind pushed into me by the car behind him who hit at about 40km/h. My damage was limited to the bumper - it was scratched and a little out of shape. The bumper was repaired, reinforcement replaced and painted and that cost $1200.
A co-worker's car was damaged when an object fell on it on a windy day - a few marks on the paint and a broken electric mirror and the bill was $1100. So from what has been described, you won't get this type of minor damage done much cheaper and I'd let it go.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
FPV GT40
Banned

Most panel beaters will charge $1000 just to walk over and have a look at your car, so he got off easy.....
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Nickxb
XB in progress

If you refuse to pay it, the insurance will outsource it to a recover agent.

You could then make a counter offer of less they might take it as the alternative is court which will cost them more than the claim is worth.

At the end of the day, yes your bro is liable and has no proof that he didnt cause that amount of damage. However for an insurance company to make a full recover, it will cost them more than its worth and it will become a matter of what makes more sense finacially.

If you play your cards right, there are ways around the system.

Nick
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
If you refuse to pay it, the insurance will outsource it to a recover agent.

You could then make a counter offer of less they might take it as the alternative is court which will cost them more than the claim is worth.

At the end of the day, yes your bro is liable and has no proof that he didnt cause that amount of damage. However for an insurance company to make a full recover, it will cost them more than its worth and it will become a matter of what makes more sense finacially.

If you play your cards right, there are ways around the system.

Nick
I would advise against this because what happens later on when his brother wants to obtain insurance? "We're very sorry but we cannot offer you insurance". And yes they would do that.
Old 20-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
we are talking about AAMI here i wouldnt be suprised if they take you to court for 1 day late payment [insert censored words here].

firstly you hit the old magna from behind, as much as it might have been a POS you caused damaged to someone elses property and isnt it law to have at least CTP insurance, then that means compulsory THIRD PARTY insurance, meaning the guy you hit is covered with your CTP insurer

as long as your excess is not higher than the $1000 then claim it, better to have the insurance company do the run around and take responsibility, otherwise pay for it, you did damage to someones property take it as a learning experience, dont follow so close next time

TRUST ME!! you DO NOT want to take this further than it has to be taken, court is a last resort with insurance companies you WILL NOT win
for starters considering you hit them from behind, automatically your fault, and secondly they have much more money at their disposal

pay for it or claim it through your insurance

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

CTP doesn't apply in Victoria like in Queensland.

Best be would be to pay it as $1000 seems fair, the big cost for repairs is labor.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I don't know what its like elsewhere but in QLD CTP is only intended to and only will cover personal injury or death, etc. It will NOT cover property damage caused by your vehicle to other vehicles. Third Party Property on the other hand would....

Also, while I don't think it applies in this case, rear enders aren't always clearcut - the case where a silly cow hit my butt while talking on her mobile and changing lanes at the same time has not been resolved - its been almost 6 months and the insurers are STILL fighting between themselves, even though they assured me it was clear cut ( and no I have not paid anything - my insurer said it wasn't my fault, and it wasn't).

I wish I could bill the stupid btch for the amount of time and effort I've had to put into fighting - I sent my insurer a document wallet FULL of evidence disproving her counterclaims... hopefully she gets done for insurance fraud!
Old 20-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
and isnt it law to have at least CTP insurance, then that means compulsory THIRD PARTY insurance, meaning the guy you hit is covered with your CTP insurer
Unless things are different in Qld (yeah I know, EVERYTHINGS different up there) CTP only covers passengers in the car, not the car and not the driver.
Old 20-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
Nickxb
XB in progress

AAMI would not start legal proceedings over $1000.

Insurance is about the bottom line. I work for an insurance company and see this happen all the time.

In saying that, your bro was at fault and has no evidence of what damage he is liable for.

Nick
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
JAYMZ
My Deception

Wow, heaps of responses. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated. Lesson learnt always have physical evidence.
Old 21-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #21
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

An insurer by law only needs to get 1 quote and have it adjusted or approved by a professional assessor.
They can then seek recovery from you for your losses. But the bottom line if you don't end up paying the insurer for a matter of $1000 you will find they will pass the debt on to a mercantile agent and they are basically a debt collecting agency and will hound you until it is paid.