Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
snowcone

Default Reversing a trailer

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/trailerghu4
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
FPV0137

Default Re: Reversing a trailer

The germans finally made their gadgets easy to understand!
FPV0137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Until I saw the ending... I thought it must have been the Stig
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is gold
Old 22-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Hyundai genesis has this, you use the power mirrors stalk to steer the trailer where you want and the car does all the steering wheel spinning for you.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Love it... So many find it hard to reverse a trailer!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
The Hyundai genesis has this, you use the power mirrors stalk to steer the trailer where you want and the car does all the steering wheel spinning for you.
I thought the Genesis wasn't rated to tow?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading about it before they started selling them here, as I was looking at maybe getting one until I found out how much they were. Quick google says you are right, maybe it is just an overseas thing. Google also shows this being rolled out in this year's f150 so you never know it might make it here one day.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Been on RV trip around Aust for 7 months . You would be surprised how many arrive at camping ground . Have big issues backing their van into position . Some have driven at least 5,000 Ks and still cannot reverse !! Stopped the odd time as we mainly free camp at boat ramps . Many cannot back a boat trailer 20m down a 30m wide ramp either . Sheesh do some practice people ! So many nurds out there !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #10
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Audi Q7 has trailer reverse assist but only in overseas markets, didn't make it here due to our unique ADR requirements relating to the hitch setup I believe.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Been on RV trip around Aust for 7 months . You would be surprised how many arrive at camping ground . Have big issues backing their van into position . Some have driven at least 5,000 Ks and still cannot reverse !! Stopped the odd time as we mainly free camp at boat ramps . Many cannot back a boat trailer 20m down a 30m wide ramp either . Sheesh do some practice people ! So many nurds out there !!
Was watching some of the ppl at Shellharbour the other day in the van park trying to get their vans in place. Was "interesting" to watch.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

If you can't reverse. You can't drive. Full stop.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
I have often gone down to our local boat ramp on a public holiday armed with my fold out chair and a couple of cold ones...It's entertaining to say the least!!!

Old 23-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
I 2nd that!! If You can't reverse a trailer you shouldn't be driving it forward either.Maybe I spent to much time driving vans but it annoys me to see so many people who can't even reverse a car without a trailer.They try to look over the shoulder or hang out the drivers window,what are the outside mirrors for??
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

We often tow a 6x4 cage trailer behind the work van and my boss (who has been driving for almost 15 years) still hasn't figured out how to reverse it. It would be funny if it wasn't so mortifying to be stood there "directing" him.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
I was a shuttle driver, I don't do backwards
Old 23-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

I love seeing the confused looks on the young guys at works faces when I tell the to turn the wrong way to make the trailer point the right way then chase it around. Trailers aren't that hard to reverse, longer ones don't change direction as easy so are easier to reverse. The boys think small trailers should be easier as they are shorter... pigs ****.I had a trailer boom lift on tow last week, and my apprentice who is on his l plates was telling me how hard reverse parallel parking is.. so I did a reverse parallel park with a trailer on the back. Fair enough I had 15 odd meters to fit into with a 4m trailer behind a ranger, but I know to be one step ahead of where the trailer is going. So far I have never had an issue with backing my 7m boat trailer with 5.8m of boat up my 55m driveway between the fence and private power pole, but it's super predictable, and a straight driveway
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I was a shuttle driver, I don't do backwards
I was a farm pick up milk tanker driver for 7 years, reversing it what we did all the time, round corners, up hills, near hill edges, around sheds, over dog kennels - LOL
Old 24-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Love it... So many find it hard to reverse a trailer!
See I don't understand this.

How hard is it? Unless your reversing a B double, not that hard. Opposite hand down to the way you want, get the the critical point & "Chase" the trailer, winding steering lock to Where you want for what you want the trailer to do. Simples.

My dad taught me the basics of reversing a trailer early on in my life, before I could drive and I haven't forgotten.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #20
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I think a lot of it comes down to how you start. I've seen many people try to reverse their boats down the ramp but never start straight. All of a sudden, they start adjusting way too quick (sometimes the wrong way) and it all goes pair shaped from there. Finally they drive back up (now straight) and then it seems easier then.
Old 24-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
See I don't understand this.

How hard is it? Unless your reversing a B double, not that hard. Opposite hand down to the way you want, get the the critical point & "Chase" the trailer, winding steering lock to Where you want for what you want the trailer to do. Simples.

My dad taught me the basics of reversing a trailer early on in my life, before I could drive and I haven't forgotten.....
I think it's like most things in life...you either learn from experience (trial and error) or you learn by being trained by others. Or a combination of the two. Those who struggle with reversing a trailer have probably never been taught the 'tricks' and therefore find it difficult when they do have to. Therefore they limit the times they have to, reducing their ability to pick up by experience.

One of the 'tricks' that I tell people who are not confident or experienced, is to hold the steering wheel at the bottom, and move your hands in the direction that you want the trailer to go. I find this far easier for beginners than saying to move the wheel in the opposite direction.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez! how i could have used this with the dozer on the lowboy with gooseneck.

well done, very clever..........short drawbar trailers are a mongrel to back, longer drawbar = slower turns = easier backing.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I was a farm pick up milk tanker driver for 7 years, reversing it what we did all the time, round corners, up hills, near hill edges, around sheds, over dog kennels - LOL
Tanker Wonkers reverse everywhere. Only drive forwards to get to the next reverse site.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 01:31 AM   #24
XR8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I think a lot of it comes down to how you start. I've seen many people try to reverse their boats down the ramp but never start straight. All of a sudden, they start adjusting way too quick (sometimes the wrong way) and it all goes pair shaped from there. Finally they drive back up (now straight) and then it seems easier then.
I think you might have it ( lot of it comes down to how you start). When on my p plates blew up the trans on dads XA (he's still not happy), I had to reverse home 15k's. pretty good at reversing anything since
Cheers
PS if your good at reversing your race,boat trailer even the horse float it don't matter where you start from
XR8235 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 01:54 AM   #25
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Geez! how i could have used this with the dozer on the lowboy with gooseneck.

well done, very clever..........short drawbar trailers are a mongrel to back, longer drawbar = slower turns = easier backing.
Yep, the greater the distance between the hitch and the front axle the easier it is, we used to have to back onto dog with a spreader dolly a lead and a half dolly and half the time in the dark, used to sit a torch on the side of the dog.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: