Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default If your starter or alternator blows and you're NOT with RACV...

Or even if you are...

I discovered on the weekend you can save yourself quite a bit of hassle and expense by simply getting the part delivered and installed roadside.

I had a new starter delivered and installed in my car for $370. Didn't have to join RACV or anything.

This was an AU V8 starter so I dunno how that compares but I was pretty happy considering I could've paid $300 to join/get breakdown assistance, then whatever on towing, then whatever at the mechanics to get the starter replaced, + god knows how long my car would've been off the road. (it was a saturday)

This way I had my car back up and running within a few hours.

The only scary thing of course was making the call that my starter was definitely poked - was pretty relieved when it was!

Although to be honest I was paying cash and I got the impression he wouldn't have replaced it if it wasn't faulty - I think he would've been happy not having to get under my car!

Sorry if you already knew this but I thought I would share - could save someone else a bit of hassle and expense... (it was called RACV Parts delivery service or something)

Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Sorry if you already knew this but I thought I would share - could save someone else a bit of hassle and expense... (it was called RACV Parts delivery service or something)
So they deliver the part and fit it? Half the problem is not having tools, so that would be a bonus.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
So they deliver the part and fit it? Half the problem is not having tools, so that would be a bonus.
Yep delivered and installed. I think they do alternators, batterys and starter motors... Might do some other stuff I dunno...

The best thing is the new one sounds a lot more expensive and European than the old one... (the starter motor that is)
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Or even if you are...

I discovered on the weekend you can save yourself quite a bit of hassle and expense by simply getting the part delivered and installed roadside.

I had a new starter delivered and installed in my car for $370. Didn't have to join RACV or anything.

This was an AU V8 starter so I dunno how that compares but I was pretty happy considering I could've paid $300 to join/get breakdown assistance, then whatever on towing, then whatever at the mechanics to get the starter replaced, + god knows how long my car would've been off the road. (it was a saturday)

This way I had my car back up and running within a few hours.

The only scary thing of course was making the call that my starter was definitely poked - was pretty relieved when it was!

Although to be honest I was paying cash and I got the impression he wouldn't have replaced it if it wasn't faulty - I think he would've been happy not having to get under my car!

RACQ membership $60.
AU V8 starter from any autoparts store ~$150
An hour messing around under car the change the bloody thing $0.

Even buying the tools you could have gotten out of it much cheaper if you had gotten your hands dirty! A Windsor starter is held on by two bolts and has a nut on it to connect the wiring. Take off the two bolts and the wiring connector, then drop it out. Installation is the reverse!
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
RACQ membership $60.
AU V8 starter from any autoparts store ~$150
An hour messing around under car the change the bloody thing $0.

Even buying the tools you could have gotten out of it much cheaper if you had gotten your hands dirty! A Windsor starter is held on by two bolts and has a nut on it to connect the wiring. Take off the two bolts and the wiring connector, then drop it out. Installation is the reverse!
on the other hand if your cars out of action and your stranded and in your good civvys $370 might be a good deal.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
RACQ membership $60.

op is from vic, and afaik joining racv and needing them to come then and there costs far more than $60
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
op is from vic, and afaik joining racv and needing them to come then and there costs far more than $60
Closer to $200 including the 12 months membership.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't know what NRMA road service is going for these days, but when my housemate called me to say he locked his key in his car I suggested he call the NRMA seeing as I was out of town and unable to help out.

He wasn't a member, so they quoted $307 for a callout to break into the car.

A girl at work did the same for a flat last year... non member and $300+ to change it.

Isn't it only like $80-100 to join?

I can see their rationale however.. if they charged the same as the joinup fee for an emergency callout people will just wait till something goes wrong and then join up.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nrma is 80 per year. it's worth it if you have an older car. even if you was out of state, your auto club will still organise roadside assistance. i've been a member of NRMA since i was 16, i'm 38 now. i used to use them at least once a year until i got a car that wasn't 10 years old.
Old 29-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's worth being a member.

I had my alternator die in my last AU ute ... while delivering stuff around Sydney.
NRMA rocked up with a new alternator and fitted it for me (in a loading dock luckily) ... 30 mknutes later i was on my way again working.

It cost me around the $350 mark for it ... cheap really when stranded.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post