Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default 2011 Ford GT500 spanks last year's model by nine seconds at VIR

Not bad for an extra 10hp.

Quote:
Link

Video

We know firsthand that both the 2011 Ford Mustang V6 and GT aren't just plenty quick – they're downright scary fast compared to their predecessors. It should follow, that the king of the heap 2011 GT500 should be similarly faster than the 2010 model. Let's just go ahead and call that one an understatement. Ford just dropped a tasty video on the interwebs showing the car lapping one of our favorite tracks – Virginia International Speedway.

Ford's engineers had it in their minds that the new aluminum block with its 120-pound weight savings should help the car click off the 4.1-mile Grand West portion of the track about three seconds quicker than the outgoing car. Thing is, the 2011 GT500 managed to lap the track in 2:58.5 – a full nine seconds faster than last year's version.

Progress is most definitely a good thing. Hit the jump to see the car do the dance.

Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AND my datto is class leader......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Really???

2 seconds faster than the 05/06 Ford GT, half a second faster then the GT-R and less than 7 seconds behind the ZR1?

That's pretty cool for a truck-engined ponycar!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that things a rocket, pulling some good g`s there too if i`m not mistaken.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The Mustang's three link rear end has often been critisized on here and other forums
for not being in the same league as IRS but guess what, it's doing the job...

Last edited by jpd80; 20-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
AND my datto is class leader......
Yep, it's amazing what a 3.5 :P litre V6 could manage with a well sorted chassis.
Old 20-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Deech
Making smalltorque

The M6 is only half a second faster than the 335 coupe?
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
austyphoon

No doubt the car will be quicker then the previous model but let's see if the car can achieve the same time when independently tested in something like Car and Drivers lightning lap.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon
No doubt the car will be quicker then the previous model but let's see if the car can achieve the same time when independently tested in something like Car and Drivers lightning lap.
Judging by that messy lap I think c&d will go quicker.
Old 21-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Blast2

I wonder what lap it would do with mods
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The ZR1 is bloody quick by the looks of it. Good time by the GT500. Should be able to crack the top 10 with a bit of luck.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

It's these "little" things that have made the SVT Mustanga giant-killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescoent
Keep in mind, that this particular GT500 was equipped with the SVT Performance Pack, which was designed specifically to improve lap times:

http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1042...ackage-details

One highlight:

Quote:
The SVT Performance Package features the first application of the all-new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2, a tire that offers superb dry traction and precise handling, complete with a high-performance tread compound with more grip. SVT engineers worked directly with Goodyear to develop the new compound, and it’s only available on the 2011 Shelby GT500. The tire is unidirectional, corner-specific – meaning the directional tread must match its specific location.

This is in addition to the usual tricks... lowered, special shocks, special spoiler, rear axle, and other suspension tunes. This is a car specifically designed for performance duty, where the regular GT500 is a street cruiser that's also capable of astonishing performance.

That's a $53,000 Mustang that will hang with the Audi R8 V10 on a track.

I remember talking to some folks not long ago about how the EcoBoost V6 Mustang test car was hanging with the Audi R8 8-cylinder on the track, and it almost seemed unbelievable... not so much anymore.
And the Ecoboost Mustang is looking like it will be a thorn in many a hot Euro's back side.
Old 23-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And the Ecoboost Mustang is looking like it will be a thorn in many a hot Euro's back side.
Didn't realise the ecoboost stang was still getting the go ahead Youssef. I know there was development (wouldn't be that hard to put the ecoboost V6 in the stang assuming there is room for the turbos). Don't know if i see the point with the V8 being in there already (and clearly doing a good job)

Unless that report was 'old'....i'm sure i read somwhere the Ford engineers said there was 'no room' for the turbos in the stang engine bay (or did they mean for twin turbo coyote??).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Didn't realise the ecoboost stang was still getting the go ahead Youssef. I know there was development (wouldn't be that hard to put the ecoboost V6 in the stang assuming there is room for the turbos). Don't know if i see the point with the V8 being in there already (and clearly doing a good job)

Unless that report was 'old'....i'm sure i read somwhere the Ford engineers said there was 'no room' for the turbos in the stang engine bay (or did they mean for twin turbo coyote??).
He's speaking of the Ecoboost V6, not the V8.

According to wescoent you shouldn't count out the V8 Ecoboost, either. Albeit with less capacity.
Old 29-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPd-W8OeE4w

Another 2011 GT500, but a different track.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Amazing performance for the 2011 GT500 out of the box, good to see SVT giving the Modular Series of engines a "Hero" send off.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The Mustang's three link rear end has often been critisized on here and other forums
for not being in the same league as IRS but guess what, it's doing the job...
That is because when the term 'live axle' is mentioned some people immediately think 'leaf springs'. Three links are a brilliant design allowing for more anti-squat than an IRS (this is a very good thing) whilst maintaining roll understeer (also very good).
Old 30-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There's no reason why a live axled car can't match an IRS equipped car on a smooth racetrack. Throw in a bumpy, rough surface and its a different story.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

With a long side view swing arm, a live axle can be reasonably hard to upset on a rough surface as well. It still won't be as smooth as an IRS, but it will be a lot better than a live axle with a short swing arm (like a leaf spring setup).