Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Wintersun cars stolen again...

THE SUNDAY MAIL JUNE 7, PAGE 42...

"TWO classic show cars were stolen during the Gold Coasts 1950s nostalgia festival Wintersun yesterday.
An orange Ford Model A Tudor hot rod and a orange 1974 Holden Monaro GTS were taken from a carpark under a apartment block at Kirra.
Police said their initial inquiries indicated the vehicles had been loaded on to a trailer or truck."

Keep your eyes open for these cars guys, although unfortunatley this smacks of been well organised and the chances of seeing these cars in one piece again is low...... : : :

This incident also sounds freakishly the same as the one were the Wild Plum XA GT and Monaro disappeared.......?????

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

christ not again, personally even my old cars that only owe me around $10,000 would not leave my sight,i would sleep in or next to them,
bastards need the cops to pull out all efforts to catch them like getting a copy of all cameras around the area and actually looking at them like the London cops do.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
QIK006

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
christ not again, personally even my old cars that only owe me around $10,000 would not leave my sight,i would sleep in or next to them,
bastards need the cops to pull out all efforts to catch them like getting a copy of all cameras around the area and actually looking at them like the London cops do.
The cops are too busy with "operation RAISE QUOTA FOR THE MONTH" and both sides of the border have been targeting ,un roadworthy cars, speeding, drink driving and unregistered vehicles. from Tweed Heads south to Bilinga as a joint cross border initiative.

Didnt see a single copper when I was walking around the wintersun event, but get more than 250 mtrs away, there are dozens of cops putting tickets under windscreens, get more then one km away and there are speed cameras (usually with 2 or thre cops standing around with a coffee in their hands laughing) on every single road away from coolangatta, including the back roads.
Counted 7 RBT's setups, and even had a new NSW unmarked car try and give us a drag Race, It was a shiny new WRX, it is the 1st time I have seen it up here, so they are doing it just to bait the idiots.

What surprises me, Is that the area has had a record amount of police present, from both sides of the border, and there has been more vehicle thefts, muggings, fights and petty larcency, than ever before. I think that if they ACTUALLY HAD A POLICE PRESENCE AT WINTERSUN, INSTEAD OF TICKET THE LITTLE OLD LADY THAT HAD PARKED IN AN UNDESIGNATED AREA, it would have been one of the best wintersuns ever.

My two cents worth
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scumbags....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
BELTA
belta kix lsss!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006
The cops are too busy with "operation RAISE QUOTA FOR THE MONTH" and both sides of the border have been targeting ,un roadworthy cars, speeding, drink driving and unregistered vehicles. from Tweed Heads south to Bilinga as a joint cross border initiative.

Didnt see a single copper when I was walking around the wintersun event, but get more than 250 mtrs away, there are dozens of cops putting tickets under windscreens, get more then one km away and there are speed cameras (usually with 2 or thre cops standing around with a coffee in their hands laughing) on every single road away from coolangatta, including the back roads.
Counted 7 RBT's setups, and even had a new NSW unmarked car try and give us a drag Race, It was a shiny new WRX, it is the 1st time I have seen it up here, so they are doing it just to bait the idiots.

What surprises me, Is that the area has had a record amount of police present, from both sides of the border, and there has been more vehicle thefts, muggings, fights and petty larcency, than ever before. I think that if they ACTUALLY HAD A POLICE PRESENCE AT WINTERSUN, INSTEAD OF TICKET THE LITTLE OLD LADY THAT HAD PARKED IN AN UNDESIGNATED AREA, it would have been one of the best wintersuns ever.

My two cents worth
...+1
Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats why i'll never take a car to wintersun unless i can get accomodation with a secure garage i thought of booking early for a house in the area but the price more than doubles for a crappy shack on wintersun weekend.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
XPfalcon170

i heard on the radio today that the organisers are contemplating moving this event somewhere else in the next few years. Although this wasnt talked of in the radio pogramme, but maybe this is a problem they dont want to be associated with anymore when people talk of wintersun??
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

God Damn!! Two years in a row?? Not good at all, hope this is not the beginning of the end for these types of shows.

Scumbag thieves!! Hope karma gets them good.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this sucks so bad ,how do u get an orange hot rod out of there with out being seen ,

the owners must be shattered going home without their pride and joy
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

One would assume these vehicles have alarms and various anti theft devices so it can only be a very professional outfit unfortunately the cars are very unique they will have to be broken down for parts could not be rebirthed in current state someone must know something about where they have gone?
People who steal ANY vehicle need to be delt with by the owner of said vehicle when caught IMO before going to jail. :

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did they end up catching the blokes who did it last year?
my guess is this is a copycat attempt, some blokes saw how the others got away with it and thought they'd make some quick cash.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

This is one of the cars stolen.

agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The thought of that ^^^work of art^^^ being chopped up and the traceable parts being destroyed makes me sick to the stomach....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

someone may be able to enlighten me but where is the worth in stealing showcars or rare cars? as mentioned, they can't be rebirthed or even sold for profit as they are too well known and will attract a crowd wherever they go. if you think you can strip it for parts, it is still very suspicious if/when these parts are attempted to be sold.

people who steal cars, show, rare or otherwise, need to be dealt with very severely. a whole lot of money goes into these things but more than that, a whole lot of the persons life went into it as well.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
someone may be able to enlighten me but where is the worth in stealing showcars or rare cars? as mentioned, they can't be rebirthed or even sold for profit as they are too well known and will attract a crowd wherever they go. if you think you can strip it for parts, it is still very suspicious if/when these parts are attempted to be sold.

people who steal cars, show, rare or otherwise, need to be dealt with very severely. a whole lot of money goes into these things but more than that, a whole lot of the persons life went into it as well.
stolen to order, someone wants it and will pay whatever to have it in their garage, mostly overseas blokes so it cant really be traced.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006

My two cents worth
I came thru the back way on saturday night and passed two speed traps in about 1 km on the same road. the only cop i saw at the event was a bike cop riding in the cruise.
one thing i cant understand is how the cars are loaded on a truck (as the cops suspect) if they are in underbuilding parking lot the clearance is usualy only 2.1meters,to small to get a truck under.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #17
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfalcon500
I came thru the back way on saturday night and passed two speed traps in about 1 km on the same road. the only cop i saw at the event was a bike cop riding in the cruise.
one thing i cant understand is how the cars are loaded on a truck (as the cops suspect) if they are in underbuilding parking lot the clearance is usualy only 2.1meters,to small to get a truck under.
If i remember correctly one of the cars stolen last year was either pushed or towed out from under the appartment block to the street then slipped up the back of a tilt tray or trailer, this sounds like the same crew to me....

As far as what they will do with the cars, sadly they will probably end up like the Wild Plum XA GT Coupe last year, as for the parts, they are easier to offload than most people think, remember this is organised crime....

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

FFS! Not again.

What I dont understand is that if you owned such a car why would you leave it in a block of apartments without proper security?

You are asking for trouble especially after what happened last year.

Paying a private security guard to watch over your pride and joy whilst you sleep well doesn't cost alot...very cheap insurance indeed.

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
BJ
Banned

From what i have read Roy they where in a a secure garage under the apartment block. They had to move two cars to get to them.

Taken from OZrodders site.

Quote:
My Dad's car was stolen from my parents hotel car park last night on the Gold Coast. They were down the for the Wintersun Festival.
The car was in an secure underground car park, blocked in by two other cars (the Mustang was moved to get the car out)
It's a 1928 Ford Model A Tudor, Bright Orange, open engine etc, REGO: THRSTY
Please if the car is seen anywhere can you contact the police.

*UPDATE* - the car was seen heading north to Brisbane on the M1 at approximately 7.30am by people who had met my parents at the Brisbane hot rod show a few weeks ago
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
HP-0351

that sounds suss to me, two cars get broken into and moved as well and no one see's or hears anything...boy these guys are good REAL GOOD!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
BJ
Banned

Sort of makes you wonder doesn't it. From the talk thats going around it sounds like the same mob who did it last year.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #22
HP-0351

if it was the same crew it wouldnt surprise me...

Last edited by HP-0351; 08-06-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #23
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Mongrels!!!! it was truly tragic to see what happened to that poor XA coupe last year, the fact that those (insert expletive here) had the nerve to knock over more cars from the exact same event 12 months on is truly astounding. i hope the fuzz catch up to them and cut of both their (insert expletive here) with a blunt knife!

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Falconunbelievable
FORD PARKING ONLY!

Sorry guys just have to say that we were down at the Wintersun with the Landau all week and there were cops everywhere we went - there was atleast a patrol car and a bike up marine parade and griffith street every day we were there. A lot of police presence around from what we saw. And yes we dared to take the Landau out but a lot of planning went into the location where we stayed believe me...plus Ken had a few other little tricks up his sleeve for the nights... His brother had his Chevy Camaro there and they parked it out on marine parade overnight for two nights with a security guard - there were about 15 cars in that one area under ARMED guard (yep we were talking to the security guard for a little while one night) for $30 for the weekend...not a bad investment...but gee that sea spray made a mess of them

Member of
Chrome Cruisers Inc
Falconunbelievable is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #25
silicon

Brisbane Times

Collectors shattered by classic car theftsJune 7, 2009 - 6:34PM .
The owners of two valuable classic cars stolen from the Wintersun festival on the Gold Coast fear their beloved vehicles will be chopped up for parts.

The cars, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, are priceless to the shattered owners, who spent years bringing them up to near-mint condition.

The vehicles were stolen from the security carpark of an apartment complex at Kirra Beach, where the Brisbane owners were staying.

A Ford Mustang was pushed aside to gain access to an orange 1928 Ford Model A Tudor hot rod and a 1974 Holden GTS Monaro.

The owner of the Monaro, Graham Mounsey, of Inala, said the cars were hot-wired and police have security video footage of them being driven away.

The owners broke down and wept on Sunday as they spoke about the loss of their vehicles, saying no dollar value could be put on them in terms of the time and effort put into years of restoration.

Mr Mounsey said he fears the cars will be dismantled.

"My Monaro was probably worth up to $30,000 on paper, but it's taken me two years to get it on the road.

"I've just put a brand new engine in it and I was still working on it on Thursday replacing hoses to get it down here on Friday.

"I hadn't had the motor in it a week yet."

Mr Mounsey says this is the second year in a row classic cars taking part in the Coolangatta festival have been stolen.

"Last year another GTS Monaro, a GT Falcon and a two-door Falcon coupe were stolen," he said.

"Two of the owners have been on the phone to me today and they've never seen their cars again.

"The two-door Falcon was found stripped, cut into bits and burned but there's been no sign of the others."

He said the stolen hot rod was worth about $250,000. It had just won a Brisbane hot rod show.

"They pushed a $50,000 Mustang aside to get the hot rod out," Mr Mounsey said.

"I think they were targeting the rod and mine was there and they grabbed it as a bonus because we were running the same engines - they're both Chevy-powered, they've got the same wheels, same running gear and they've thought 'beauty, we've got an extra one here'.

"But we're at a loss over the hot rod because everything's marked, everything's numbered - there's nothing they can do with that car."
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon bikies have something to do with this i saw a show on foxtel once saying they run stolen car rackets all over the world and ship parts and cars everywhere.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoodiver
I reckon bikies have something to do with this
Good to see some peoples thoughts of bikies never change.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
fat289
fat289

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony
Good to see some peoples thoughts of bikies never change.
I'm with you brother - some ppl have N.F.I.

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #29
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconunbelievable
plus Ken had a few other little tricks up his sleeve for the nights... His brother had his Chevy Camaro there and they parked it out on marine parade overnight for two nights with a security guard - there were about 15 cars in that one area under ARMED guard (yep we were talking to the security guard for a little while one night) for $30 for the weekend...not a bad investment...
That's the way to go I reckon.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
squiggss
Starter Motor

The Hot Rod was my fathers and this was the second Wintersun it has been to.
My parents took great care to protect the car. Blocking it in against a wall by their two other cars (a '53 Chevy Pickup and the '67 Mustang GTA Coupe which had the window smashed and was moved out of the way to gain access to the Hot Rod). The cars were in a locked garage.
The people who stole the cars knew exactly what they wanted and were going to stop at nothing to get it.
It's possible that they could have been watching the car for a while, sussing it out. My parents stayed in the same hotel building last year so it is highly likely that they have perhaps rented a room even to gain access to the carpark as most people do tend to stay in the same hotel year after year.
squiggss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post