Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default COMCAR adds electric Commodore to fleet

Electric Commodore added as a trial to the parliamentary fleet. 145kw/400NM motor and 160km range.

http://www.smos.gov.au/media/2012/mr_402012.html

Quote:
COMCAR fleet humming with excitement at electric car trial

COMCAR made automotive history today as the first Australian fleet to welcome and trial an Australian fully-electric car designed with ground-breaking battery switch technology.

Developed by Melbourne-based consortium EV Engineering, the electric Holden Commodore has been designed with the capability to switch its depleted battery for a fully-charged one, which will eliminate long charging times when battery switch infrastructure is available in Australia.

The trial of this zero emissions vehicle will enable COMCAR to consider the viability of introducing electric vehicles into its fleet as older vehicles are decommissioned.

Special Minister of State Gary Gray spoke about the government’s commitment to environmental sustainability initiatives as he stepped out of the new fully electric, battery-switchable Holden Commodore.

“A two-week trial around the clock will help COMCAR determine the suitability of electric cars for its 146-car fleet and how these vehicles meet government environmental objectives,” Mr Gray said.

“EV Engineering is building seven proof-of-concept electric Holden Commodores with the assistance of a $3.5 million grant from the Australian Government’s New Car Plan for Greener Future. We’re delighted to be part of this project and to have the chance to trial one of these innovative cars.”

COMCAR will evaluate the vehicle across a range of measures including energy efficiency, Green Vehicle Guide rating, passenger comfort, practicality and luggage capacity.

“This car retains the safety of the standard Commodore with its five-star ANCAP safety rating, so there are no trade-offs for drivers or passengers,” said Mr Gray.

CEO of EV Engineering, Ian McCleave said the trial was an exciting opportunity to showcase the electric Commodore in a prestigious, demanding and ideal vehicle fleet.
The greater project is designed to demonstrate technical viability and customer attractiveness for a large electric car, as well as developing electric vehicle engineering skills and components within the Australian automotive industry.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: COMCAR adds electric Commodore to fleet

so if i read it right comcar is the government section that looks after the pollies with their cars? it will be interesting to see how the trial goes,
a switchable battery, does that mean when you get out in the scrub with a flat battery you holler for a Marshal and they bring out a fresh battery pack?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good to see the governments going down the austerity path. Only equates to a $500,000 car.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't wait to see Johya rock up in one! As if.
KIWI-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
samos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
a switchable battery, does that mean when you get out in the scrub with a flat battery you holler for a Marshal and they bring out a fresh battery pack?
Google "better place electric vehicle" and you'll find lots of info.

A couple of points about them:
They are an Israeli company, currently in bed with Renault/Nissan
They already have 100electric cars on the road in Israel
They have already signed MoU with Australian governments, macquarie bank, AGL energy, and some others.
The way their system works to the consumer is that you buy the car but lease the battery pack, on a monthly plan like a mobile phone, from them of course.
They provide battery switch stations all around the country, like petrol stations of today. Pull up, switch over nearly flat battery to pre-charged one, done In under a minute - see youtube videos.
The batteries always remain theirs, you don't own your battery as such.
No I'm not affiliated to them!

Back to ev engineering, if you watch their you tubes carefully (there's only two of them I think, with Mark Skaife) you'll see a white ford territory in the background possibly being worked on too
samos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
samos

Here's the link http://www.betterplace.com.au/electr...gineering.html
Old 29-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

I hate the term "zero emission" for electric vehicles.
Until solar panels, or wind turbines, are powerful enough to charge them at home, they will be using brown coal for the majority of their power supply.

"zero local emissions" should be the phrase.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think some use the term "zero tailpipe emissions".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos
Google "better place electric vehicle" and you'll find lots of info.

A couple of points about them:
They are an Israeli company, currently in bed with Renault/Nissan
They already have 100electric cars on the road in Israel
They have already signed MoU with Australian governments, macquarie bank, AGL energy, and some others.
The way their system works to the consumer is that you buy the car but lease the battery pack, on a monthly plan like a mobile phone, from them of course.
They provide battery switch stations all around the country, like petrol stations of today. Pull up, switch over nearly flat battery to pre-charged one, done In under a minute - see youtube videos.
The batteries always remain theirs, you don't own your battery as such.
No I'm not affiliated to them!

Back to ev engineering, if you watch their you tubes carefully (there's only two of them I think, with Mark Skaife) you'll see a white ford territory in the background possibly being worked on too
thanks for the link and explaining that Samos.
the ev commy looks to drive pretty good but i wonder how much it will cost for the battery swap at the change over point? also i wonder how much extra it will add to the electricity bill every month? even with the change over points i`m thinking you could still get stranded, on a frosty morning you`ve got the heater and the aircon going to keep you warm and defrost the windows, music playing,
it starts raining, wipers on , how much will this cut the range down? no doubt you could adjust your life around the cars short comings, for me the internal combustion engine is still looking way out in front.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
samos

No probs Mik,

as for the batt draining scenario, I had seen on a completely unrelated Nissan leaf story/video that aircon usage drops the range by about 10kms when the batt was at 100km range remaining, so 10% initial rough rule of thumb? I dunno this is all guesses!!!

And yes, you could still get stranded, and the ICE is still in front, but thats where the racv comes in https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...ads+-+may+2010