Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Silky

Default Hero to Zero

I just picked up my new car... can barely afford it... And driving home from soccer this evening i'm pretty sure i got done by a red light camera..

I'll fight it, as i'm sure the lights were orange when i crossed the white line, but the problem here is the car is still registered in the previous owners name, and i wasnt planning on transferring it all over for a little while yet..

what to do, what to do?

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky
I just picked up my new car... can barely afford it... And driving home from soccer this evening i'm pretty sure i got done by a red light camera..

I'll fight it, as i'm sure the lights were orange when i crossed the white line, but the problem here is the car is still registered in the previous owners name, and i wasnt planning on transferring it all over for a little while yet..

what to do, what to do?
Good luck fighting it, the camera only trips when the lights have gone red and then someone crosses over the sensor underneath the whithe line.
So if it went off then you were on or before the whiteline when it was red.

It takes two shots, one as you trip it and another half a second later (I think it's half a second) that way they figure your speed and can tell you how far prior the white line you were when it went red and how fast you were going.

As for the fine, it will go to the registered owner who will sign a stat dec saying he wasn't driving and sold the car to you.

Nice start to owning your new car, getting a ticket, feel sorry for ya mate.
Old 22-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Silky

i feel sorry for me too..

The fine i can deal with, It's just that i was planning on leaving the VIC rego on for a month or two because the car's airbag is faulty and i wont get the blueslip for NSW rego without it..

I hope this doesnt muck that up, more than anything..

Plus the loss of 3 out of 4 points sucks pretty bad.

crap crap crap crap crap crap crap...

crap
Old 22-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I do believe if the owner does a notice of disposal to say they sold the car to you, you then have only 7 days to swap the rego or face a fine from memory.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Silky

It's a $90 fine, and it's one off.... The RTA lady told me to just leave it lol

Better than having to fork out $200 for the clock spring, $50 for the blue slip, $200 for the Greenslip, plus Rego, Plus stamp duty...
Old 22-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Silky

anyway... if it's just a stat dec.. then theres' no reason why it should ruin my little plan..

i'm such a goose.. i know theres' a camera there.. and i wasnt speeding or anything, i just figured i'd make it..

ARRRGGHHH.. it's so frustrating.. i was going to spend some more money on the car and now i have to pay this..
Old 22-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

$20 odd dollars for a clock spring from the wreckers, and maybe for $10 they will even fit it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

You can get tickets for going through orange lights aswell you know. The previous owner will get the fine and then will forward it back with a stat-dec with your name on it.
Old 22-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
You can get tickets for going through orange lights aswell you know.
On what planet?
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
On what planet?
on any planet called VICTORIA.
Quote:
Better than having to fork out $200 for the clock spring
remember that when you crash your car and have permanent brain damage from the airbag not working. dont forget to wipe up the dribble either.
sorry but you even stated yourself, that you could barely afford the car as it was. i guess you didnt bother to think about anything else....considered what an ambulance costs if you crash or the time in hospital or rehab?
considered what having no insurance could cost you?
doesnt sound like you have considered much other than jumping in feet first and hoping that things work out.
as for contesting the red light camera, your on film, better have a really good excuse.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

New South Wales
Old 23-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
On what planet?
I'm 99% sure that if the police witness you go through an orange light when it was possible for you to stop safely they can fine you in NSW (and other states i assume) though to be honest, i've never heard of anyone being caught for it.

I can, at rare moments, have a little sympathy for people caught speeding. I have a bit of a heavy foot sometimes but i believe people need to be more responsible for their actions whatever the laws are. I have never, and will never have any sympathy at all for people who run red lights (or orange lights that mysteriously turn red at the last minute).
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Silky

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
on any planet called VICTORIA.

remember that when you crash your car and have permanent brain damage from the airbag not working. dont forget to wipe up the dribble either.
sorry but you even stated yourself, that you could barely afford the car as it was. i guess you didnt bother to think about anything else....considered what an ambulance costs if you crash or the time in hospital or rehab?
considered what having no insurance could cost you?
doesnt sound like you have considered much other than jumping in feet first and hoping that things work out.
as for contesting the red light camera, your on film, better have a really good excuse.

Ive got insurance, And ive been saving for the car for 6months.. i'm just an apprentice and certainly cant afford a $300 fine.. probably no more than anyone else can..

And let it be known that i wasnt speeding, and i wasnt hooning... I obviously just judged the light wrong, probably because i was stuffed, coming back from soccer.. i go through there everyday and have never been caught before..

keep your opinion to yourself.. you sound like my mother..
Old 23-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

what to do, what to do?
If cash is tight, then not transferring for a little while is a much larger fine than running a red. Sounds like you're just trying to dig a deeper hole.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Silky

It's not.. Because it's not a normal transfer fee, it's a complete re-rego. VIC plates are no good for anything in NSW.

And the NSW Road & Traffic Authority lady said on the phone that the fine for not transferring the car within the first 14 days is $90, and it's one off..

It was the RTA lady that said most people just drive around on the VIC plates.

Anyway.. This hasn't been a very constructive thread.. I'm an idiot for running the red light, im an idiot for not transferring the car, and im an idiot for not fixing the clock spring..

That'll do me.
Old 23-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
keep your opinion to yourself.. you sound like my mother..
If you wanted people to keep their opinions to themselves - you shouldn't post on a public forum.

He sounds like your mother? You sound like his daughter so it's all good then...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Back in the old-old days the amber light meant stop if safe to do so, now it apparently means this is your last chance to get through so speed up and hope for the best.
When you get the green it now means, look left, look right, look left again and then proceed only after the string of traffic has run the red light.
I think he has every right to be upset about getting pinged..........NOT.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
Kryton

Quote:
you sound like my mother..
you should listen to her then, she obviously has a clue.
you could learn something.

dont like what people have to say, dont post on a PUBLIC forum.
what did you hope to achieve from this thread?
did you want someone to come over and hold your hand and tell you everything will be alright?
first thing you need to do is take responsibilty for your own actions, instead of trying to weasle your way out of them.
you said you have insurance......you dont, not when you crash the car and the insurer starts investigating why the airbag didnt go off. non working airbag = unroadworthy car = NO INSURANCE.
Old 23-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Silky

I wanted somebody to tell me what happens when you get fined driving someone elses car, that's all..

anyway.. im sure that 80% of the people on this forum have a) been caught by a camera speeding or running a red light, and b) have some sort of fault on their car.. regardless of how big or how small... especially younger people... You're all making out like im the devil..

It was 9pm.. there was no one else around.. the lights were orange and i thought i'd probably make it.. i drive through there everyday.. and i just got it wrong..

Also.. I bought the car on Saturday, It's a great car and it was a great deal.. Only problem was the clock spring.. as if you wouldnt drive the car for the first few days..

You're just being judgmental... 'young idiot with a nice car who doesnt deserve any pity from anyone... sucked in'

Picked up the clock spring from the wreckers for $30 today, too.. thanks for the tip EA2BA
Old 23-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #20
Kryton

Quote:
You're just being judgmental... 'young idiot with a nice car who doesnt deserve any pity from anyone... sucked in'
good to hear to you got the clock spring.
im not being judgmental, i could care less what car you have.
i am though getting sick of all the threads that are popping up about people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions.
i got caught doing 150kmh in a school zone......its not fair....im going to take it to court, there was a leaf on the road that could have gave a false reading........etc etc (insert another 4342876 scenarios here).
you get the point.
you know you got done, you know the light wasnt green.
you can go to court and fight it, itll just end up costing you court fees as well as youll lose the case.
anyway, sorry if it sounded like i was attacking you personally, i just wanted you to be fully aware of the ramifications of your actions.
its not as simple as "it'll be right" because when it does all go wrong, your gonna wish you had have listened to the advice you were given.
dont forget to post some pics up of the car either.
Old 23-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #21
Silky

oh i'm not gonna fight it.. i literally posted the thread about 10mins after it happened and it's the first time i've been done for anything... i was just a bit 'flustered' lol

It must've been red when i crossed the line but i tell you it was bloody close...

heres' the car..

Last edited by Silky; 23-10-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 23-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

mitch give me a ring
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post