Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Your Donations after your Funeral ?

Can one find out if the Power of Attorney has made the donation on the behalf of the one passed away. ( it's not in his will, but that was his wish and trusted this dude to do as such, everyone knew it ) this was said at the funeral and in the news paper, it was going to as such.

I would think that all donations over $1000 should be able to be documented for all to see and not only that, how do we know it's not being miss spent.

If you were to pass money on from your death, how can you find out or others, for sure that all is above board and all.

From what I have seen I would not give one cent at all to these cancer and kidney research foundation mobs, as I believe it to be a just a total disgrace, not to mention maybe one of the biggest con job going around.

I am talking about million dollars here, that was to be given and I know the full reason why it was to be so.

Power of attorney is the only one mentioned in the will and he has kept it all for all we know, as P of A will not even talk about anything at all, but just say go get a lawyer, if you want to know anything at all. now why the hell should I have to do that.
He was a real real real nice bloke wanting to do everything until the day that my mate died then did not want to know anyone did not want photos he desperately wanted before and all and straight after the funeral just shot off directly like a dog and never even informed my mates ex wife and her kid that he had died.

My mate wanted to see his ex wife 3 days before he died and this dude said no, he could not ! he was living with this dude you see and P of A did not want others coming around.

I still have people ringing me up asking what the hell is going on and all, and it's been a year and a half now.

Never have one dude who has the Power of Attorney. or it can become a nightmare !

I don't care about him getting all the money, but hey I would like to know what he did do.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Your Donations after your Funeral ?

Don't take this for gospel but power of attorney only has power while the person is alive, this is to make desions for them if they are incapable of doing so them self's.After the death the executors named in the will have all the power and control of the estate,so if there was a donation made by the power of attorney it would have had to be done while the person was alive unless it was in the will therefore the executors would have done it ,but only after probate was granted is that possible. Go and get a lawyer just to make sure all is above board.Just for piece of mind if you don't check this stuff out it will haunt you and anyone else who is involved.
kazawaki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
sr71

Probate completion can take 2 years (?) . So if a year and a half has passed, 'time is of the essence'. I've seen a couple of situations where P of A abuses the role asked of them. Good luck
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki View Post
Don't take this for gospel but power of attorney only has power while the person is alive, this is to make desions for them if they are incapable of doing so them self's.After the death the executors named in the will have all the power and control of the estate,so if there was a donation made by the power of attorney it would have had to be done while the person was alive unless it was in the will therefore the executors would have done it ,but only after probate was granted is that possible. Go and get a lawyer just to make sure all is above board.Just for piece of mind if you don't check this stuff out it will haunt you and anyone else who is involved.
Yep PA ends the moment the person dies.

Our family has been through one massive messy bout with 4 executors over the death of a family member.

Be weary because when money is on the table everyone turns for the worst, we even had issues at the funeral thats how bad it was.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Yep PA ends the moment the person dies.

Our family has been through one massive messy bout with 4 executors over the death of a family member.

Be weary because when money is on the table everyone turns for the worst, we even had issues at the funeral thats how bad it was.
Sad but true Damo.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
snopony

Depends what state you are in, but if you need to contest you have 1 yr. Other states may be different. Bear in mind, yes estates do bring out the absolute *worst* in people.... and don't assume there is probate to be granted... some people pass away with absolutely nil left to their name despite family members believing there must be millions stashed somewhere, which is a large and costly mistake to make.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopony View Post
Depends what state you are in, but if you need to contest you have 1 yr. Other states may be different. Bear in mind, yes estates do bring out the absolute *worst* in people.... and don't assume there is probate to be granted... some people pass away with absolutely nil left to their name despite family members believing there must be millions stashed somewhere, which is a large and costly mistake to make.
My family had to contest my mother's will. Mum left her estate to a museum in the UK. We sued to get some money for my handicapped sister (the brain injury occured after mum's death) and it need up equally split between the museum, my sister and the lawyers.

In the end the person who dies can do whatever they want with their money and you have to pay someone $400 an hour to argue on your behalf. You can only argue need based on dependance. As a child you are not entitled to anything if you are financially independent.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If the PoA is the same person who was also the executor you might be in trouble. If the executor is also named in the will as a beneficiary then you're up chit creek as, effectively, they can do anything they want with the money once probate has been granted. The fact that he may not have honored the deceased s' wish isn't illegal in any way, it just goes to show what a low scum dog the person is and that they were just manipulating the deceased and the situation for their own advantage.

My psycho neighbor did exactly that with the dog who lived next door and managed to wind up with all the guys assets including 2 blocks of land and a house. I could see what was happening but it was nothing to do with me so I just had to sit and watch. He got himself made executor, his missus was sole beneficiary and the will was even written and witnessed by him then promptly disappeared for 6 months after death till the dust died down. By then the only other person who could contest it had been and gone and didn't want to know any more so although we all suspected the will was forged, including the local cop, there was nothing anyone could do because nobody in the family contested it. Now I have to put up with a very clever sociopath living next door. Thankfully, he leaves me alone these days as I've beaten him at his own game 3 times now when he's tried to make trouble for me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
snopony

yes, the executor has control and responsibility that the will is followed... they also have to pay out any debts owing by the deceased, settle bills etc. This can cost thousands.... if there is none left over after these have been taken care of, any donations to charities etc end up simply gone as there would not be enough to cover it.

But yeh.... as anyone who has been thru this personally can see... brings out the worst.
Human nature at its ickiest.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I'm gunna be broke, destitute when I die........ QED

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How or can you find out if donations were given to a cancer research foundation.
Is it the biggest scam going ? I think the public have a right to know all about these mobs.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
snopony

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
How or can you find out if donations were given to a cancer research foundation.
Is it the biggest scam going ? I think the public have a right to know all about these mobs.
not sure.... unless you actually called the foundation/charity and they had a policy of publicly listing/thanking people who donate.... as far as I am aware if you are named in the will and solicitors are involved you can access information to a certain extent, but law covering wills is pretty complex and when things such as joint names/accounts/trusts come into play....then no, there is no way for the general public or a third party to to ask to see where everything went.

when I finally kick the bucket I hope I don't own anything and have one bank account lol. Thats it. so much easier
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If someone donated 7 figures to a charity there would probably be something in the local news paper about it IMO, its something the local media would want to run with.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
snowcone

There should not be any donations to consider as once the party has died then the Power of Attorney or the Enduring Guardianship are ended, hence this person has no control over spending unless he is an Executor.
The Executor/s take over from the death of the party.
Bank accounts should also be frozen so if money is still disappearing from accounts then you need the Executors to notify the Solicitor handling the Estate so he can try and recover it.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
snopony

Thumbs up Re: Your Donations after your Funeral ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
There should not be any donations to consider as once the party has died then the Power of Attorney or the Enduring Guardianship are ended, hence this person has no control over spending unless he is an Executor.
The Executor/s take over from the death of the party.
Bank accounts should also be frozen so if money is still disappearing from accounts then you need the Executors to notify the Solicitor handling the Estate so he can try and recover it.
yup. What they said
Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nasty thing to go through, I had to bury my aunty who I was pretty close to a few years ago, amazing how people that don't want much to do with you suddenly turn up on the day of the will getting read looking for a handout(some of the very well of too..... Gives you a whole different perspective on the human race) .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Nasty thing to go through, I had to bury my aunty who I was pretty close to a few years ago, amazing how people that don't want much to do with you suddenly turn up on the day of the will getting read looking for a handout(some of the very well of too..... Gives you a whole different perspective on the human race) .
Same thing happened with us, my family being the primary carers of my Great Grandma for 25 years, she gets put in a nursing home and all of a sudden the other three amigos come out on the offensive.

Then when she dies in there (Nursing home fed her someone elses meds and killed her by accident, and tried to cover it up) the three amigos are there creating hassles all throughout the estate finalisation.

Then my Grandma died recently and they didn't tell us, had a funeral and buried her so we couldn't contest the will if we didn't know about it if we had been cut out of it.

The only way we found out about it was a solicitor letter stating her estate came in the mail (and we were still in there, so it was just threats).

As a few of us have said, be careful when $$$ is involved, you don't know your family until there is coin involved and their true colours show.

My family should be in the guiness book of world records for worlds most disfunctional family.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #18
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
As a few of us have said, be careful when $$$ is involved, you don't know your family until there is coin involved and their true colours show.

My family should be in the guiness book of world records for worlds most disfunctional family.
Going through it right now and the family member hasn't even died yet! (Just had a will made up)

All of a sudden greed encompasses and certain people decide to become "Family" members when they haven't been heard from in years.

Greed is a filthy trait in anyone, especially self entitled rotten family.
Disgusts me to share a name/connection with such people.

I would rather no one received anything and let lives go on.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
No one wanted anything from my mate, only his brother wanted his mothers and dads paper work birth certificate type of stuff, I got that for him.
But his brother also wanted his mum and dads wedding rings, they are said to be in my mates ashes that's placed in a wall down at the cemetery ? that's just BS I think, as why would they do that.
Brother wanted some family things that are of sentimental value that are not worth a cracker, but that stuff would of went to the dump or got say $5 for all of it.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

There is an old saying "Where there's a will, there's a way"

Someone changed it to "where there's a will, there's a dozen hungry relatives"
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #21
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's not the case with his brother.
It was my mate that did the wrong thing by his brother for years, I have known them all their lives and basically lived with them for years.
My mate lost the plot as I do believe after 37 years of all the pills he had to take and with 2 kidney transplants and all the rest, the brain box lost the plot and he was nasty and malice was his game to all who loved him, but he could not see that and the only person he was hurting was himself in fact.

He informed me that he was losing the plot and asked my opinion on if he should see a Psychiatrist, I said yes. but his P of A said no no no!!!
But he did and when I seen him after that, he was a changed person back to his old self with no hatred, I could not believe it. but he went back to the hatred madness after a few weeks.

I only found out after he was dead, that P of A did not take kindly to any of my opinions that my mate went over his P of A authority with and did.

I am against transplants now after seeing all the madness they can go through and I have heard of others that it was the same deal with, being nasty to all who love them and all.
Doctors would ask how he dealt with it all, he would not say, but I believe he used anger and was just to stubborn to get any help from a Psychiatrist in all them years, as that was the last thing he would want to do.