Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
1Tunnah
Starter Motor

Default Local Ford Dealer = Depressed

Gidday to everyone here at the forums.
Well, this is my rant..I had the old problem of the bonnet release lever breaking the base of the fuse box in my BA 1 tonner. Anyway I booked into the Ford dealer for a 40,000km service and repairs. On picking up vehicle, was given bill for $360 and told to re-book for fuse box repairs. Also told that the hand-brake needed adjusting & brake fluid needed changing. I thought that this would have been done in the service, but no. On returning for the fuse box repairs, the technician said the handbrake didn't need adjusting, just the bolts needed tightening. Upon receiving the $630 bill, noticed that they charged $110 for adjusting handbrake. When I queried it, they said after I left in the morning, they had to adjust it, not tighten bolts. They charged me $55 for brake fluid plus labour. Charged me $55 for new wiper blades ( which I didn't ask for ). After spending nearly $1000 in two weeks, I asked what warranty I had, as I purchased the car as part of Ford's 04 run-out sale, which offerred 5yr warranty's as standard. Was informed I only had a 3yr warranty, and the salesman that sold me the car left months ago. I know this is a long whinge, but my opinion of Ford has taken a beating...

1Tunnah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Sounds like crap service to me. Document your beef and take it to the dealer principal.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If your contract states a 5 year warranty, you have a 5 year warranty. Take that one to the DP, failing that call 13 FORD to take it further.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
kinggee

I bought my car there too, I ordered it in November/December to be delivered in Jan/Feb 05 (car 05 plate) so I missed out on the extended warranty deal.

They were supposed to fix my fuse box as well but they didn't replace it like they told me they would. They fixed the bonnet release (under warranty) and left where it attaches to the fuse panel busted. The release still works now and I didn't want to leave the car with them to replace the entire panel so I didn't bother.

As for the salesman leaving, I personally reckon you make a deal with the dealership, not an individual, and a salesman leaving the company should not make any difference to the deal made. Ford Australia may have info on your remaining warranty, especially if you can prove you purchased the car during the time of the offer.
kinggee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Oh... and I would have kindly asked them to remove the gold plated wiper blades and remove that from the bill.

This happens all the time, and they count on you not putting up a stink.

When servicing SHOP ARROUND, and be an informed customer. Ask what EXACTLY you are paying for, and clearly state that ANYTHING that 'needs' to be done on top of that will need your OK...

In the paper last week they took a car to several Sydney service centres, got a major service, and front brakes.

The price ranged from around $305 to $607 for the exact same work done...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tunnah
but my opinion of Ford has taken a beating...

My opinion is you took a beating!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

That is shocking, disgracefull actually.........
Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Had the same kinda things happen to me at the Local Fraud Service center.

Never again will I go to any.

IF you can get warrenty services done elsewhere, do it!!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you wanna complain about pricing think of where Ford is coming from. handbrakes can be hard to adjust sometimes. due to parts seizing etc etc. and if Fords supplier sells them good quality wiper blades for a high price it gets passed on to you. to bad it happens.

if you wanna complain do the service yourself. and then see how long it takes you. then work out the labour cost. $55 for brake fluid is cheap. 500mL of the stuff costs $10. might have used 2-3 depending on how big the caliper resevoirs are and master cyl, lines, ABS pump etc etc
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEB
if you wanna complain about pricing think of where Ford is coming from. handbrakes can be hard to adjust sometimes. due to parts seizing etc etc. and if Fords supplier sells them good quality wiper blades for a high price it gets passed on to you. to bad it happens.

if you wanna complain do the service yourself. and then see how long it takes you. then work out the labour cost. $55 for brake fluid is cheap. 500mL of the stuff costs $10. might have used 2-3 depending on how big the caliper resevoirs are and master cyl, lines, ABS pump etc etc
So you wouldn't be peeved if you a service department took it upon themselves to change your wiper blades and charge you premium price for them without your knowledge? Also, last time I checked, service intervals had fluid changes as part of the service charge, not an additional cost (unless you want the super duper oil). Handbrakes hard to adjust? So I should then have to pay premium price for a Ford service centre to adjust a *Ford* handbrake because they're unreliable?

I'd be hopping mad.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Smile

I think I'm the only one happy with my Ford service.
My guys (I know them by their first names now) are cool and their boss even got me some things done for free. Besides they always call me to accept any additional stuff (quoting the price) and pick me up from work on time when the car's done.
The prices are what you'd expect form a dealer's mechanic but while under warranty it's worth.

BTW, I'm with New Oak Ford in Springvale, Vic.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is horrible service. i think i would have walked out to the car, removed the wiper blades and told him where to shove them!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tunnah
Charged me $55 for new wiper blades
Just be thankful you don't own a Peugeot in Adelaide. The dealer here wants $60 a side for blades. That's $120 for 2 front wipers.
Damn European cars and damn Bosch not selling the replacements for them here in Australia.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ebay! :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

Granted they can be but never to the extent where that amount is justified, half that at the very most is fair. There is no such thing as wiper blades worth $55 and last I checked they still used Trico, about $10 for the pair.

He was ripped and is right to be peeved about it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
azaxr8

i paid $82 for two new locking nuts that lock the brake bearings in place... $41 each for 4 nuts and a washer with that clip thingo on top...... work that out?
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You cant be serious :
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Granted they can be but never to the extent where that amount is justified, half that at the very most is fair. There is no such thing as wiper blades worth $55 and last I checked they still used Trico, about $10 for the pair.

He was ripped and is right to be peeved about it.
Unless they replaced the insert and holder, not just the rubber??
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Unless they replaced the insert and holder, not just the rubber??
Still not that expensive to do, Trico charge the general public $10-15 a side so Ford would get them substantially cheaper than that and they take a whole 5 minutes to fit.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And this is why Ford can't sell falcons. Stupid dealers and stupid marketing.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Supercharged

I own 5 Falcons with 2 in warranty and I never use the Dealer these days for servicing, have done in the past and been ripped off.
The mechanic I use now has a detailing business as well so for around $250.00 I get a full service including hand brake adjustments with the car washed and interior cleaned (not fully detailed), he is accredited so no warranty issues.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I also got the blunt end of the stick from many dealer, both Ford and others.

After having my new(ish) Kia have some issues, I took it to the Kia dealer where I used to live. They were shocking. I had it booked in for warranty work for brake shudder, and they had it all day then gave it back and said they can't do anything until I replace a worn front tyre. I was very pi55ed because I told them before I handed over they keys I was moving to Newcastle in a few days. When they gave the keys back at the end of the day they asked which day the following week I would want to book it in for!!!!!

After moving to Newcastle, I had some warranty work done for the same thing plus others. The lady at the desk said it probably just needed to be machined and would cost me $150 for 4 discs which I was happy to pay for. When they handed the keys back, they said they had replaced 2 rotors and 4 brake pads for more revised parts UNDER WARRANTY! They also fixed an ongoing issue with the car pulling to the left, did a wheel alignment, and also had a curtosy bus to take me home, and pick me up again to pick up the car! They even had Tea, Coffee and Street Machine mags in the waiting room!

I still am blown away with the quality of customer service of this joint as opposed to others. I guess it just comes down to who wants to provide customer service and EARN a good reputation, and who is just there to fix manufacture warranty issues and nothing else.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck with DP and / or 13 FORD.
We had HUGE troubles a while ago with the wifes Focus.
The dealer was an absolute and refused to rectify the issues (won't go into detail) and 13 FORD were just as bad. Nearly worse.

We ended up selling both our cars and purchased an XR6T !!!

So it worked out well in the end...

All I will say is that if Jackson's Ford in Devonport weren't in Tas I would never again buy a new Ford. Jackson's are brilliant!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
loltastic
Banned

Quote:

LOL. You can do a handbrake adjustment on the rear hub yourself in about 30 minutes, so how does Ford justify $110? Premium labour rate is about $110/h, so it should be $55 MAX, and that's doing it yourself with a tyre iron and a jack.

Ford wonder why the Falcon is selling poorly. Look at the utter rubbish the poor customers have to put up with. You can imagine an elderly couple taking their car back to Ford and copping this rubbish can't you? Their next car will be a Holden.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #25
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
BTW, I'm with New Oak Ford in Springvale, Vic.
I used these guys ^^^ with the TS for years and always great.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

It's sad to see the dealerships being so friendly and helpful when you buy the thing but treat you like c%$p when you need some work done. Over priced and under achieving I do not use dealerships any more unless its under warrantee even then it's hold your breath and hang on for the ride. I owned a VX for a few years and took it to the dealer for service, these fools would always charge me $1.25 to top up washer bottle, on one occassion it was filled by me that morning......
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Supercharged

Holden dealers are no better, worked for the Government for 21 years, had a new vehicle about every 18 months, once had a 5 speed manual VS, dam thing kept jumping out of second, had it in many times but refused to fix it as they said it was my fault for leaving it parked in first. They claimed the rubber gear stick boot was streached into that position and that I should leave it parked in reverse, what rubbish, was still doing it when it went in to be sold, from that point on I only ordered Falcons.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can imagine an elderly couple taking their car back to Ford and copping this rubbish can't you? Their next car will be a Holden.[/QUOTE]

Close, but next car will be a Toyota. They will never be back.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you's guys obvoiusly don't know about mechanics. stuff siezes and get's tight. or will just be a on not adjust properly. and your complaining about them just fitting wiper blades without asking. if they don't, you drive down the road when it's raining, put on your wipers and they smear, you can't see and crash, then your like "oh i just had a service, they should have checked them" then the dealer gets in .
Mazda wiper blades cost about $25 for two
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
you's guys obvoiusly don't know about mechanics. stuff siezes and get's tight. or will just be a on not adjust properly. and your complaining about them just fitting wiper blades without asking. if they don't, you drive down the road when it's raining, put on your wipers and they smear, you can't see and crash, then your like "oh i just had a service, they should have checked them" then the dealer gets in .
Mazda wiper blades cost about $25 for two
Give me a muf'in break from that rubbish. They should ring you and confirm it's OK to do things like that.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post