Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Default How did you get your gutter rash?

Most of us really look after our cars and drive sensibly on the roads but there is quite a few who still get gutter rash, albeit minor in most cases.

How have you gutter rashed your mint condition rims?

I did mine on a giant curb at a coffee stand. The milk truck was blocking the entry mostly but I thought I could squeeze in. As soon as I touched the curb (which was a good 8"s high) I stopped, realised I couldn't make it and backed out. I had just touched the rim slightly at about 1-2kph. It was my rear left one.

Old 18-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

2 week old 20s and i was travelling in a left lane of 3 when a tree lopping truck merged from the right lane across all 3 lanes without looking and i ended up on the curb. Luckily the front made it up a driveway but the back got a nice rash on it. Livid. Just luck there were no signs or poles on the section of curb i mounted. All fixed now.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I was driving out of a pretty tight and twisty bottle shop driveway while trying to check out the mint brunette in the astra coming out of the other driveway at the shopping center. I ended up gouging the rim on the kerb and putting a wheel into the garden.

The worst thing was the chick noticed my stuff up and and laughed at me.

Then i lent my wheels to a mate to put on his car for a bit, he managed to put it into a gutter and destroyed a rim.

I need new rims.
Old 18-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

got my rims cheap cheap but they were gutter rashed pretty bad on one rim and a bit on the other 3...
they're 3 piece rims so i doubt it'll be too expensive to get new outers put on them when i get around to it
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
guntersmells

oh god this hurts to bring it back up :P

Didn't see a little protrusion coming out of one of those really stoney harsh gutters in redcliffe....The only good thing about it is that it only hit the front left....but it's so bad lol :P
guntersmells is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats easy to answer: let the misses drive our two week old car to the shops. Goodd bye front left wheel. Lucky its her car.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tyres on mine sit out far enough from the rim so that simply grazing the kerb will only scrub the tyre. The previous owner did all the gutter rash on my car in 2.5 years. I haven't added one in 9 years. That tells me the previous drivers stuffed up big time.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

had to let my friend jess drive one night, truck cut her off on a merge lane and bang. Bye bye 2 day old rim. Got new one, reverse parallell parked it at the docs a day after and...

It was the rear left :(
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for rear left.. dohhhh!!!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

went for a cruise with some mates throught the dandenong rangers at about 10.30PM, it was pitch black and no lights on the roads, we were coming up to a large sweeping "bend" or so i thought and i didnt really slow down for it. as i got into the bend it got tighter and tighter as i went though, tried braking as much as i could but i droped the rear left off the road and into the dirt as i was coming out and just kissed the guard rail. end result was gutter rash the whole way round my 1 week old 2k rims and a nice 6cm scratch along my wheel arch.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Never have. The only scratches my 17" BA rims have on them are from tyre fitters. Mind you I rarely have to park near a gutter.

I had 17" AJRs on my previous car which had big rolled lips that protruded past the tyre. I never scraped them but as soon as I sold it to my mate he managed to rash all 4 plus buckle 2 all within 6 months.
Before that I had 16" tickfords but the tyres had big chuncky sidewall protectors so I would have had to have hit something pretty hard to rash the rim. I did hit a drain once but I missed the rim; took a big chunk out of the sidewall. Managed to buckle 1 though, not sure how.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
Thats easy to answer: let the misses drive our two week old car to the shops. Goodd bye front left wheel. Lucky its her car.
lol mines just the same, she now either parks 3m from the kurb or demolishes a rim to hell, not in my cars but still painfull to see
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
seduced_xr
BF XR6

10 minutes ago at IGA canning vale i just misjudged the kerb and hit the tyre and the rim. luckily the previous owner already totally screwed that rim for me
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

It seems that left rear is popular to cop damage. Its also the furthest away from the driver. Being on the opposite side and at the back is probably out of our sense of knowing where the car is.
Old 18-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All my wheels were mint when I bought my car, all four have gutter rash now. All but one are from parking. I don't really care though at all.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never once put any gutter rash on any of the rims on any of my cars over the years...

Only incident I had was when I cracked a rim hitting a pothole a few years back. Council bought me a new rim and tyre, but still didn't put any rash on it