Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default New Ford diesel - 6.7L Scorpion V8 TD

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...el-engine.html

Looks to be a very good design.
* 160lbs lighter than the old model.
* Valley mounted turbo with single inlet vane and twin compressor outlets!
* Approx 400hp/725 ftlbs (another article on that website)

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it fit in the Territory ??? Be an awesome Territory with that diesel,!!!! instead of the Peugot engine.
Old 17-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

GTHO-D ? (owe that one to "AL NZ")

Good insight into a little of what happens with a brand new design. Hopefully they can win back lost sales that came about from the previous Power-Stroke (not designed/made by Ford), which was riddled with faults and problems.
Old 17-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Would it fit in the Territory ??? Be an awesome Territory with that diesel,!!!! instead of the Peugot engine.
Too big, and too powerful. It's meant for things much bigger than the Territory, or F-150.
Old 18-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
GTHO-D ? (owe that one to "AL NZ")

Good insight into a little of what happens with a brand new design. Hopefully they can win back lost sales that came about from the previous Power-Stroke (not designed/made by Ford), which was riddled with faults and problems.
Only the 6.0 had more problems than usual... the 6.9, 7.3 and 6.4 were all good motors. But the new 6.7 is more like a huge version of the Jag/LR engines. CGI block, DEF, DPF, Ford says many people tried "restarting" trucks that were already running - that's how quiet they are. No noticeable turbo lag (like the twin-turbo setup on the 6.4), but they have managed to do that with a single turbo now. Petition Ford Australia to bring out the 2011 F-series.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Only the 6.0 had more problems than usual... the 6.9, 7.3 and 6.4 were all good motors. But the new 6.7 is more like a huge version of the Jag/LR engines. CGI block, DEF, DPF, Ford says many people tried "restarting" trucks that were already running - that's how quiet they are. No noticeable turbo lag (like the twin-turbo setup on the 6.4), but they have managed to do that with a single turbo now. Petition Ford Australia to bring out the 2011 F-series.
Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe one of the Site sponser dealers can shed light on how well they sold when they were offered here? But yes, surely with the new heart it's always worthy of another push.
Old 18-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Maybe one of the Site sponser dealers can shed light on how well they sold when they were offered here? But yes, surely with the new heart it's always worthy of another push.
Indeed...from what i heard from dealers it basically sold in low, but very solid numbers. Defenitely a market for a new model if it came in RHD....don't how likely that is though. How many other RHD markets are there for the F series?? Certainly second hand market they are holding up well. I used to know some guys that owned/operated F series (including the 5.4 v8 petrol) in their sugar farms and swore by them. Nothing else on the market for the money could be used to atcually pick up/transport fertiliser and help in the repair of farming equipment.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Indeed...from what i heard from dealers it basically sold in low, but very solid numbers. Defenitely a market for a new model if it came in RHD....don't how likely that is though. How many other RHD markets are there for the F series?? Certainly second hand market they are holding up well. I used to know some guys that owned/operated F series (including the 5.4 v8 petrol) in their sugar farms and swore by them. Nothing else on the market for the money could be used to atcually pick up/transport fertiliser and help in the repair of farming equipment.
There most certainly is a niche for them, but viability is a bi atch if they work off it's sales history here.
Old 18-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I would say it depends on the area and the dealer. Having lived in Melbourne, I could give an example. Knox Ford would have raked it in from F-series, as they have a large commercial setup.
But City Ford might give a totally different answer. My parents still live in Melbourne, and they tow horse trailers and stuff. My dad was talking about buying something that was specifically designed for towing. (His Caprice's suspension is completely shot from towing). - and there was no fuel economy saving over using a truck to do the job.
The 7.3L V8 diesel F250 felt pretty powerful, it had 175kw/680Nm and a 4 speed auto with some turbo lag.
The new one.... 300kw/980Nm with a 6 speed auto.... and no turbo lag... Just think of the performance..

and MUCH cleaner emissions. If anyone hasn't seen a graph of how much tighter the 2010 EPA Emissions are over previous years, look it up...
We're not talking 20-30% cleaner emissions from say 10 years ago, it looks more like 1000% - EPA 2010 makes Euro 5 look pretty easy going. These big diesel trucks meeting these requirements and still having that performance...amazing!
Old 18-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
There most certainly is a niche for them, but viability is a bi atch if they work off it's sales history here.
Well viability wise i think it really is an issue of RHD versions being available at a competitive price to Ford Aus. Even if our sales were low, i think given the history of the vehicle Ford Aus would be tempted to bring it back. It all depends on if the yanks will make available a RHD version... To my knowledge the plant that made the RHD version we obtained in the past stopped making it....and the US plants don't build RHD models. I'd say the car itself could be built in RHD since its a development of the old model....no?? I think enough RHD markets have to come out in favour of it. I wonder if the indians were interested, as well as South Africa, if a asia pacific site would get the nod for RHD production of a limited range???

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 18-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
To my knowledge the plant that made the RHD version we obtained in the past stopped making it....
Brazil still produces an F250 for its market. The Brazilian model still looks like the 2005. It is a 3.9L I-6 Cummins diesel - not very powerful, it is manual only. I know they built the previous Aus-spec versions closer to the US versions, with 7.3 and 5.4 engines with automatics available. It would be best if Detroit just builds RHD versions of what they have. Then the Aus models won't miss out on features like gloveboxes and floor pedal parking brakes.
Old 20-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good to see Ford starting to use CGI in their engines instead of just the Jag/LR TD's, hopefully they can spread its use even further. Hint Hint to FoA.

Does anyone know wether CGI can be made in a conventional casting plant with just a change in the raw material mix or does it require a special process and specific equipment to get the job done. An I6 CGI block would be great. Similar weight to alloy without the durability and heat issues of alloy blocks.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure how replaceable it is, but Ford does have a 4.4L V8 diesel with all the same technology. It was also to go in to production in Chihuahua, Mexico. It was to be used in F150, Expedition and probably the base diesel in Super Duty. I think it would fit the Falcon and Territory. It got placed on hold because of EcoBoost. It is rumored to be rated around 320HP/520lb-ft. 240kw/700Nm approx. The engines have been produced, they exist. Same block as Jag 3.6. If it does make production, I would say 2011.
Old 20-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

That 4.4L V8 Diesel would be perfect in a Falcon Ute 240kw/700nm! :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Good to see Ford starting to use CGI in their engines instead of just the Jag/LR TD's, hopefully they can spread its use even further. Hint Hint to FoA.

Does anyone know wether CGI can be made in a conventional casting plant with just a change in the raw material mix or does it require a special process and specific equipment to get the job done. An I6 CGI block would be great. Similar weight to alloy without the durability and heat issues of alloy blocks.
The CGI blocks need special tooling as it is much harder on equipment than just 'soft' iron.

But, yes a CGI I6 would be a ripper! Imagine the advertising they could do too. Our rivals are Alloy, we are a generation ahead with Graphite. Smooth, strong, economical power.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #16
chrapladm

Fords new 6.7+Spartan D. Tech= MONSTER POWER!!!

Such a sweet engine. The 6.4 with the spartan was pretty bad *** and now they have a new engine out which is even better. As long as Ford doesn't "rush," on anything then the engine will be awesome.

The previous engines were a bit of a rush job because of emissions but I am glad they are coming out with a superior engine again.

I think Ford has really out done themselves with the new 6.7.
chrapladm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mike at Pickuptrucks.com says he will have some spy pics in a couple hours, that is something to do with F-series. I will post a link here, as soon as he makes them available.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a Crew cab version of the SVT Raptor...
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/09...-crew-cab.html
Old 25-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Some videos on this.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011superduty/
Old 25-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=31061

FORD'S ALL-NEW DIESEL IS CURIOUSLY QUIET

6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 Turbocharged Diesel Engine
Login to download images.

VIDEO: Quiet New Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke Turbocharged Diesel Engine

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 23, 2009 – People who know diesel engines are familiar with, and expect, the noisy clatter generally associated with diesels. That is, until now. When Ford's new 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine debuts in the 2011 Super Duty lineup, it's expected to be the quietest, smoothest diesel on the market, outperforming its closest competitors by several decibels.

Engineering and design improvements to the all-new Ford-engineered, Ford-tested and Ford-built 6.7-liter Power Stroke® turbocharged diesel engine – debuting in the 2011 F-Series Super Duty – eliminate the harsh sounds of the typical diesel to make it one of the quietest and smoothest diesels on the market. Significantly quieter than its toughest competitor, the 6.7-liter diesel challenges traditional views about how diesels should sound.

"Historically, consumer perception has been that diesels should sound rough and tough, but from a sound quality perspective they were actually loud and unrefined," said Scott DeRaad, engine NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) engineer. "At Ford, we approached the new diesel development as though it was more than a work truck and something that people wanted to drive, making ‘quieter' a reason to buy."

Most of the improvement in NVH comes from changes made to the combustion system and the structural integrity of the compacted graphite iron block, as well as from mounting one turbocharger on the engine block instead of two.

Specific design upgrades were made to both the piston and the piston bowl to optimize the combustion process, which features a two-stage combustion event instead of a single-injection event, causing harsh, sudden and loud combustion. Instead, a starter or pilot injection of fuel begins the compression process before the main injection.

The result is a smoother combustion and a more refined sound for the customer. When at idle, two pilot injection events are used to make the firing process even smoother and aid in quietness. The "ticking" of the high-speed injectors also is masked by specially designed covers on the engine.

Mounting the turbocharger from the center housing directly to the block provided several advantages as well in terms of NVH performance.

"When turbochargers vibrate, it can lead to other parts of the vehicle vibrating," said DeRaad. "The exhaust system, for example, is directly attached to the turbocharger. So when the turbocharger vibrates a lot, the exhaust system vibrates too and that's disturbing to the customer. Bolting the turbocharger directly to the block eliminates that concern."

Using one turbocharger, instead of two operating in series or sequentially, helped solve some NVH challenges as well.

"Having one turbocharger eliminates the air-handling noises – the whooshes – as the engine switches from one turbo to the next turbo," DeRaad said. "Our turbocharger also has ball bearings that pilot the shaft in the turbo, which helps eliminate the potential for the shaft of the turbocharger to gyrate in its housing, which can create noise."

Other improvements include the addition of two resonators in the intake system as well as a third resonator near the air cleaner.

"We've been able to tune the diesel intake system to give us the sound we wanted," DeRaad said. "It's now a nice complement to the engine."

The new diesel will also deliver other significant improvements including better torque and horsepower, class-leading fuel economy and best-in-class towing and payload for unparalleled performance.
Old 25-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make one fit in an early falcon and bypass P-Plate laws because it's a TD
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
That 4.4L V8 Diesel would be perfect in a Falcon Ute 240kw/700nm! :
agreed i would open my wallet for that
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Ha gotta love Mike Rowe!!!! Anyone here seen his US show 'dirty jobs'...where suspiciously he drives Ford F series trucks all the time, i.e. its his personal car. I bet he gets those trucks for free LOL!

Good videos though...i think its important while Ford works hard on all of the green cars and passenger vehicles they stay commited to the F series trucks. There is a very big market for them (still) and i hope they come back here in the future.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #24
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Ahh common rail diesel.
If it's anything like the Cat engines, I would believe you can't just crack the fuel lines (bleeding purposes), if you run out of fuel.

What fuel pressure these puppies running? Would assume about 4 times the normal pressure?
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/10...ruck-pull.html
Old 22-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #26
kircher

Quote:
Impressive
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post